Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surgery Thursday, wish me luck

Default Re: Surgery Thursday, wish me luck

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Enjoy - I got 1 free refill after my last surgery. I didn't need it any more but I sure filled it. Nice to have that bottle in the cabinet for when a steer mashes you against a wall or your horse throws you.
    I've got "no refills without authorization" on mine, so more than likely the 30 pills will be enough with some left over. I tend to go sparingly on pills in general.

I've had no bad side affects with them. My wife was so nauseous after the first one she took that she didn't take another.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I keep my hydrocodone around to use as a sleep aid (not kidding). For some reason regular sleeping pills really mess up my system.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Things seem to be going OK this morning.

Slept OK, considering I had a big heavy boot on, and elevated at that. I think the vicoden helped with that, LA.

Not much pain, the incisions are starting to itch or tingle a little bit. The swelling is going down in my toes.

My heel actually has less pain post surgery than it did before. That's good news.

I've got this neat compressive / cooling 'boot' thing I can wrap around my foot. It circulates cold water and compresses. I'm doing that for 1/2 hour on, 1 off. Heck of a lot easier and better than trying to wrap ice packs around my foot.

I haven't talked to the surgeon today. I did get a post-op call for the surgery center nurse though. I'll be interested to talk to the surgeon. My wife said it sounds like things were a little worse than they expected from my initial x-rays.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A friend of mine just had a very similar surgery recently. She had to have the big toe on her right foot broken, straightened, and reshaped. It had become misshapen and painful due her upbringing as a dancer.

It's been about six weeks now since the surgery and it's still swollen and technically broken. It was about two weeks before she could put enough pressure on it to walk around without her crutches, but she was still wearing the boot/compress until almost four weeks in.

Take it easy, Doug.

Well, I made it through the weekend, almost. I haven't had a vicoden since 4 AM, so pain isn't a big problem. I must have iced this thing almost a dozen times today. I think things are going OK.

I go back to the doctor Monday morning to get the dressing changed and check on it.

My back hurts from laying around the house so much. I've watched way too much TV. Time to put my boot on and limp upstairs for bed.

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Well, I made it through the weekend, almost. I haven't had a vicoden since 4 AM, so pain isn't a big problem. I must have iced this thing almost a dozen times today. I think things are going OK.

I go back to the doctor Monday morning to get the dressing changed and check on it.

My back hurts from laying around the house so much. I've watched way too much TV. Time to put my boot on and limp upstairs for bed.
    My back bothered me some when I started walking around with the boot a lot - you're walking lopsided so it may throw you a bit out of whack. I'd advise doing some regular stretching exercises. Once I did that it mostly went away.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

My back bothered me some when I started walking around with the boot a lot - you're walking lopsided so it may throw you a bit out of whack. I'd advise doing some regular stretching exercises. Once I did that it mostly went away.
    I'll try that, thanks.

- Jimmy Buffett

My 2nd follow-up appointment was today.

The stitches are out.

The foot looks pretty good, I think. Sure, it's got a fair amount of discoloration from the draining/bruising. My toes, especially are still bruised from the drainage. OK, so it's kind of gross.

But it feels great. Very little pain - I haven't had a pain pill in 10 days or so, other than Advil for the inflammation.

It probably feels too good, as I'm tempted to do things I probably shouldn't. I did get a walking shoe so I don't have to wear the boot all the time. That's nice since the boot's a pain to get on and off for short walks.

Next week the bandages come off. Then the rehab exercises.

- Jimmy Buffett

Cool...glad to hear it...(the getting better part, not the gross part.)

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Enjoy - I got 1 free refill after my last surgery. I didn't need it any more but I sure filled it. Nice to have that bottle in the cabinet for when a steer mashes you against a wall or your horse throws you.
    When that happens I prefer to have a rifle with me.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..