Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop: Suggestions?

Default Re: New Laptop: Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a Dell desktop and a laptop. I've had one hardware problem with the desktop where the power supply went out. It was easy to replace but I had to buy the part from Dell. The problem I had with the laptop was caused by my own stupid attempt to remove some type of spyware or virus that wiped the drivers for the wireless mouse. No amount of installing and reinstalling could fix it, so we had to reset it to factory defaults with Dell's assistance. Overall it's a good laptop, but for the love of god see if you can get XP on it instead of Vista. Ours has Vista and I could cook a Thanksgiving dinner in the time it takes to boot up and be ready to surf the net.
    I'm tellin ya, dude.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Enough with Ubuntu already. I'm not interested!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Well he does have a choice, he's offered an Apple as an alternative. We're supposed to find out more soon.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Well he does have a choice, he's offered an Apple as an alternative. We're supposed to find out more soon.
    Is he still interested in studing music?

If so, get the apple x 1,000,000.

I could list a hundred reasons. but every recording engineer I know uses apple and it comes with the best pre-installed (free) sound and video recording and editing software on the market.

It's not even close. Any person wanting to go into sound or video MUST get an Apple or they will be left behind.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Is he still interested in studing music?

If so, get the apple x 1,000,000.

I could list a hundred reasons. but every recording engineer I know uses apple and it comes with the best pre-installed (free) sound and video recording and editing software on the market.

It's not even close. Any person wanting to go into sound or video MUST get an Apple or they will be left behind.

Thank y'all. Yep, still a music major. And I'd say that pretty well answers out question. You may now go back to answering Hicks question.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

LA, any specific model recommendations now that you know it's not for gaming?

To those saying get a netbook or whatever those hobbit-style laptops are called, no thanks. I was somewhat interested when I first heard/read about them, but I would want a bigger screen than 9". I'm still thinking around 14/15".

Mood

To those saying get a netbook or whatever those hobbit-style laptops are called, no thanks. I was somewhat interested when I first heard/read about them, but I would want a bigger screen than 9". I'm still thinking around 14/15".
    Did that HP not work out? I thought it was a good deal for what it contains. Plus the 15.4" screen is what you are looking for.

I haven't made any decisions yet. I know I'd like at least 2GB or RAM, not 1GB, though.

Would prefer a built-in mic and camera. DVD-RW of course.

Mood

I haven't made any decisions yet. I know I'd like at least 2GB or RAM, not 1GB, though.

That had one.

The base model comes with 1GB RAM. You can choose to upgrade to 2 or 3 GB for free.

16" screen
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
    3GB memory
    320GB HDD - free upgrade
    Camera
    ATi Radeon HD video card

cost >$600

I have a DV6000 Series. It came standard with 2GB memory, built-in camera and microphone.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/ca...computer_store
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 04-16-2009 at 03:52 PM.

There aren't too many computers out there anymore that don't have all of that and at least 2GB ram.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I've taken a little bit of time to cruise through everything on the sale page at Lenovo.

I just can't believe the discounts they are offering right now, this is a once a blue moon kind of offer. (Only 4 days left, though)

The thing is, Everyone I work with uses the "T" series exclusively.

Lenovo's other machines might be great, but I don't know anything about them first hand. so that narrows my recommendation quite a bit because I won't recommend a machine I haven't used or at least seen in use.

OK, so all that said, I would take the $1,069 T500 on this page. The SL500 on the same page seems to spec out the way you want it, and is much, much cheaper, but I've never seen one in action If you go that route, get the longest warranty they offer.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...small-business

This machine is not at all pretty. But it is extremely well built and its reputation is among the best in the business.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

OH, and before you buy any model, look it up at PCMag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I've taken a little bit of time to cruise through everything on the sale page at Lenovo.

I just can't believe the discounts they are offering right now, this is a once a blue moon kind of offer. (Only 4 days left, though)

The thing is, Everyone I work with uses the "T" series exclusively.

Lenovo's other machines might be great, but I don't know anything about them first hand. so that narrows my recommendation quite a bit because I won't recommend a machine I haven't used or at least seen in use.

OK, so all that said, I would take the $1,069 T500 on this page. The SL500 on the same page seems to spec out the way you want it, and is much, much cheaper, but I've never seen one in action If you go that route, get the longest warranty they offer.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...small-business

This machine is not at all pretty. But it is extremely well built and its reputation is among the best in the business.
    I've only had a chance to work with a couple of their low end retail desktops, but I have been fairly impressed with those.

Get as much as RAM as you can.

Sometimes it's cheaper to get the minumum amount from Dell/HP/Whoever and buy a couple of new sticks from Crucial, NewEgg, Frys, etc.

We putting 4 standard in the Dells at work right now.

I suppose 2 is good enough for what you want to do, but I'm generally of the mind that you can't have too much RAM and it's generally not that expensive of an upgrade - especially if you add it yourself.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Secret Agent Man-O.N.E. James Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Funny...just 10 minutes ago I learned that one of the Scholarships Jr. has been awarded includes a new Dell laptop.

Should we turn it down?

oh and if anyone needs one, I have an old IBM XT upstairs
    (she never throws anything away)
    OMG, yes, yes, yes. I would love to be able to get my hands on an IBM XT. Old computers are great to mess with. And hack apart the programs and try to install stuff that isn't supposed to be installed. haha.

OK, one last comment:

I just had a long conversation with the head Tech for a major law firm. He confirms that the two best brands are Lenovo and HP.

I mentioned the T-500 and his eyes lit up: "I've got one right here!" He pulled it out and gave me the run-down. Doing my best to quote word-for-word:

"The HP is a little more fun and a sexier looking, but the T500 is the most solid machine out there right now other than those new apples that are carved out of solid blocks of aluminum. You can bea the **** out of the T500 and it will boot right up and do everything you want it to do. The HP's are mostly plastic, but come with some features that home users might prefer. In the end, I've gone through a few HP's and I have never once had a problem with the T500's we have at the firm."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I bought a Toshiba a couple days ago. Wasn't too expensive, looks to be pretty decent. I too am only using for paper and work type stuff.

4gb ram, 320hd, looks clean.
    Tick...tick...tick...

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Shade, why do you dislike Toshibas? Did btown force you to use one?
    I got TWO of them, both faulty straight out of the box. The XP OS, hard drive, fan, partitions, RAM...all bad.

Their customer service was a nightmare; it took almost 8 months and two contacts to the BBB to get them to replace it.

I still hate mine with the passion of a thousand burning suns, but I can't afford anything else at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I have a Dell desktop and a laptop. I've had one hardware problem with the desktop where the power supply went out. It was easy to replace but I had to buy the part from Dell. The problem I had with the laptop was caused by my own stupid attempt to remove some type of spyware or virus that wiped the drivers for the wireless mouse. No amount of installing and reinstalling could fix it, so we had to reset it to factory defaults with Dell's assistance. Overall it's a good laptop, but for the love of god see if you can get XP on it instead of Vista. Ours has Vista and I could cook a Thanksgiving dinner in the time it takes to boot up and be ready to surf the net.
    No doubt. I was optimistic about Vista, despite all the negative comments about it, but it has slowed my computer to no better than 70% of its previous speed running XP. As soon as I get another copy of XP, it's gone.

I thought I may give netbooks a second opinion when I had the chance to play with one today...... and it wasn't ready to be logged into yet (school computer tech guys weren't finished setting everyone up). Not pointing fingers, just frustrated that I didn't get the chance to check one out.

Didn't seem so bad in person, but still awfully small....

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    No doubt. I was optimistic about Vista, despite all the negative comments about it, but it has slowed my computer to no better than 70% of its previous speed running XP. As soon as I get another copy of XP, it's gone.
    It was on my laptop when I bought it last year and I figured on replacing it with XP but decided to give it 2 weeks just in case and ended up leaving it. I haven't noticed any sluggishness (again, new laptop about a year ago) and there are a couple of media and file sharing features I actually like.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Another question for Jr, if I may.

How much would he like/need a larger monitor for his dorm room if he gets the Apple laptop as proposed? Would a college student prefer to have one or would it just be a needless place to hang dirty t-shirts. (I'm thinking of gifts for friends/family to consider)

At IU, what printer would be good? What about the small single sheet but highly portable type? I have several printers sitting around that are good but drink ink like mad...nobody will ever get me to give up my Canon prnters ever again.

and LA........as a music major, does he keep the sortware that is installed or go to the school for the Microsoft stuff? I think you mentioned that earlier but I can't locate the answer.

I haven't noticed any sluggishness on Vista on my home PC, except in some write operations to my NAS. I ended up moving my media (pictures, music, home movies) to a local HD. Which is probably what I should have done in the first place. Then I back it up to the NAS (and several external drives for off-site).

Disclaimer: My home PC is a quad-core with 8 Gig of RAM and a high-end video card. I wouldn't expect any sluggishness. I'm also running the 64-bit version of Vista.

I'm dual-booting Windows 7 on my laptop, which is about 6 years old, and it seems to work as well as my trusty XP Pro install, perhaps a little better. I haven't used Vista on this laptop, so I can't really compare.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett