Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

  1. #1
    Member denyfizle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nap Town
    Posts
    1,409
    Mood

    Default Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Recognizing the best fans in sports


    http://www.examiner.com/x-3586-India...fans-in-sports

    Franchise owners, athletes and coaches often thank their fans- the ones they call the "best fans in the world". If you're an avid fan of any particular team, sport or athlete, I'm pretty sure you've heard lines like "without you, we won't be here". And truth be told there's indeed wisdom in that line. I'm not here to discredit the support and value of certain fans to their teams, rather I would like to pay homage to the most loyal and devoted fans out there in our vast and awesome world of sports.

    Looking within, I must say that there's been a huge drop in the Pacers' fan support since Reggie Miller walked away from the game of basketball. I was actually present during Reggie Miller's final game against the Detroit Pistons in the semifinal round of the 2005 NBA playoffs. It was definitely a surreal and touching moment. You can feel the love in the atmosphere when the capacity crowd stood up to applaud and give Reggie what it seemed like a 30-minute ovation during the latter parts of the game. The game had to be paused as the Pistons bench led by their coach Larry Brown went over the Pacers bench to congratulate Reggie as well. Tears were abundant not only among fans, as team officials, family members, players and coaches together with Reggie himself were left teary-eyed by the special moment. It's moments like those that make you feel proud and lucky you're a fan and have been there.

    But since then, add to that the effects of the "brawl", injuries, performance, on top of some questionable trades, the Pacers are among the lowest in crowd attendance. The economy probably played a big role in it too but sometimes you just feel like the Pacers couldn't even get people in the seats even if they gave the tickets away for free. And on several occasions they have done that. Indiana fans love their basketball- it's called the "basketball state" after all. The attendance may have dropped but it doesn't mean fan support has dramatically vanished either. True, there's been a drop but TV ratings for the past 3 seasons are up from previous ones. People are still watching, they just aren't paying to see this team play live like they used to. It comes with the territory here in Indiana I guess, just like most cities. Winning is still a the best attraction. One thing you have to credit Indiana basketball fans however, is the fact that they are probably one of the most knowledgeable in the sport. I've traveled much troughout my life following basketball and I tell you Hoosiers know their basketball.

    Now I'm going to try to determine, based on my experience and feedback from my colleagues and research, who the best fans in the some of the major sports out there.

    Best Fans in the NBA
    Los Angeles Lakers Fans

    (Photo by Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images)
    This was a tough one. We all know the tradition and mystique behind the Boston Celtics and their die-hard supporters. The New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls also have their share of loyal supporters around the world. But how can you not give it to the Lakers nation? It seems like everywhere Kobe and the Lakers go, whether it be Toronto or Oklahoma, you could be certain there's a good contingency of Lakers fans that will show up. As storied as the Celtics, Knicks and Bulls franchises are and how loyal their fan base is, I never thought I'd see the day when a Boston Celtic arena would cheer and chant M-V-P for an opposing Lakers player. Lakers fans travel well and bring star power too. You already know about Jack Nicholson and all the celebrities from Hollywood. By far Lakers message boards and forums are always the most active on the internet. Try visiting sites such as The Lakers Nations and Lakers Ground and see what I'm talking about. For the past decade the Lake show has definitely been the hottest ticket in any town and definitely couldn't have achieved that without their fans.

    Best Fans in the NFL
    Pittsburgh Steelers Fans

    (Photo by Getty Images)
    This was another tough call. The NFL has some of the greatest fans in all sports. You got the Raider Nation, the Green Bay Packers fans, the Dallas Cowboys fans, the Eagles, Giants and so on and so forth. I had to pick only one however and I give the distinction to the Steel Curtain. Steeler fans go everywhere for their team. It's not hard to spot them either as they often come with their yellow towels ready and maniacally twirl it in the air during games. It also helps that throughout history the Steelers have always had very good teams. The owners of the team, the Rooney family have definitely taken care of their fans and put forth a product they can pull for almost year in and year out. The result, happy fans = the most loyal fans in the sport.

    Best Fans in MLB
    New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox Fans

    (AP Photo/Steve Nesius)
    I know I might come across as a total suck-up right now, but how can you really pick between either of these two? The Yankees and the Red Sox go hand in hand like Oreo cookies and milk. Their rivalry has surpassed sports mythology status. And their fans will not give an inch to the other even if their lives depended on it. You can't really pick which one is better than the other as the fans of both teams share the same amount of devotion and loyalty to their team. Just like Ali and Frazier or Jordan and Pippen, these two teams and their fans are better off next to one another. Take away the other and it just isn't the same. Other notables are Chicago Cubs fans and St. Louis Cardinals fans.

  2. #2
    Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northside
    Age
    27
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Wow...I don't agree with any of those. I'm a huge MLB fan, and I would say the best fans are Cardinals fans. Packers fans and Bears fans are the best in the NFL and I because this is a Pacers fan forum and we're all crazy passionate...it must be us in the NBA. We have enough passion to carry the team through this tough time and keep our title of best fans.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Cardinals, Packers, Bears, and Pacers?

    I sense a Midwest bias haha, are you a Big 10, or a Big 12 guy?

    I'd say Lakers for NBA, but it's easier for them since I can't recall the last time they were actually bad.

  4. #4
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Any comparison to Lakers fans and those of the Steelers, Packers and Red Sox fans makes me choke. Pehaps LA could match the arrogance of of the Sox fans.

  5. #5
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,077
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Laker fans feel entitled. I would go with Blazer fans but I understand why they aren't well know.
    Steeler fans I can see.
    Yankee or Red Sox fans? Wow talk about detached. I would have to go with either Cards of Cubs fans.

  6. #6
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,188

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Maybe the Lakers are, who knows.

    Population Indy-- 1 million

    Los Angeles------ 1 Billion, or at least several million :-)
    And no football to boot.

    Easy to fill the house with those numbers plus all the superstars through the years.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  7. #7
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,043

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Silly subject if you ask me.

    How do you qualify best fans? Most on here are diehard Pacer fans and it's obvious other teams have diehard fans. So how do you decide one fan base is better than another? You can't! No team has better fans than another.

    You can make qualifications, and arrive at conclusions, such as the Lakers have more fans than another team, or the Knicks have more fans than another team, but then the basic reasons for that is a bigger fan base.

  8. #8
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Silly subject if you ask me.

    How do you qualify best fans? Most on here are diehard Pacer fans and it's obvious other teams have diehard fans. So how do you decide one fan base is better than another? You can't! No team has better fans than another.

    You can make qualifications, and arrive at conclusions, such as the Lakers have more fans than another team, or the Knicks have more fans than another team, but then the basic reasons for that is a bigger fan base.
    This.

  9. #9
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,512

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    What?! How can you say the Lakers have the best fans. It seems like a good portion of the people that go to those games just attend them as a social function to be seen at rather than as real basketball fans. Even during the Finals last year people were laughing about how disengaged their fans are.

    I do know that Washington, D.C. sports fans are some of the least enthusiastic and loyal outside of the Redskins and the niche market that likes the United.

  10. #10
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    This article I think just feeds the machine that is known as the larger market.

  11. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Not the people who show up at the games. They really aren't into the games compared to most NBA arenas. They do have a national following though.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    LA fans that aren't from LA are just bandwagoners.

  13. #13
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not the people who show up at the games. They really aren't into the games compared to most NBA arenas. They do have a national following though.
    Because ESPN loves it when the Lebron Cavs and the Kobe Lakers go for 60+ points.

  14. #14
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This article I think just feeds the machine that is known as the larger market.
    Because Pittsburgh, (#22 on the MSA list), qualifies as a "larger" market?



    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

    Historically, I agree with the suggestion of Trail Blazers fans. But that's the catch-22 of David Stern's "market the star players" business model that has been employed for the last 25 years... in football and baseball just about everyone is a fan of the "laundry" regardless of who is wearing it. In basketball (professional), that is only true amongst us that are really into our particular teams.

    Relative to the Steelers, Cowboys, Giants and Packers, and relative to the Yankees and Red Sox, there just isn't a single great NBA fan base. Knicks fans have had an opportunity to get up there but Dolan & Co. have just made it so hard on them.

    Back in the mid-90s, nobody would have put the "just jumped off the bandwagon" Lakers and Celtics on any list of good fans.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  15. #15
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because Pittsburgh, (#22 on the MSA list), qualifies as a "larger" market?

    LA and NY. They throw in Pitt to make guys like me comment.

  16. #16
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,628

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe the Lakers are, who knows.

    Population Indy-- 1 million

    Los Angeles------ 1 Billion, or at least several million :-)
    And no football to boot.

    Easy to fill the house with those numbers plus all the superstars through the years.
    I think the writer made 3 really good choices.

    The Lakers by far are the NBA's favorite and most followed team around the league (that was the main criteria he mentioned in the article for his choices). They have the history and the personalities that people love to watch play basketball. Even during the lean years with Vlade Divac, Nick Van Exel, and Cedrick Ceballos, they would pack the Forum and they always seemed to be playing on TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  17. #17
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,228

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Not only are Lakers fans not the best in the NBA, they're one of the worst. In LA, NBA games are more like social gatherings for celebrities than a gathering of people invested in their team. And Lakers fans are as fickle as they come. Fortunately for them, the Lakers are very rarely a bad team.

    I'm not sure who has the best, most loyal fanbase in the NBA, but it sure as hell isn't the Lakers. Not even close.

  18. #18
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LA and NY. They throw in Pitt to make guys like me comment.
    Is this an admission to a knee-jerk reaction?

    They throw in Pittsburgh because Steelers Nation is absurdly huge relative to the fanbase of just about every other NFL team, not just the actual city of Pittsburgh. They could be playing at an opponent with a long history of sellouts, or on the other side of the country, and >15% of the stadium will still be twirling a terrible towel.

    Size of the hometown city has nothing to do with it.

    The Lakers arent' a good choice because, as I said above, the NBA doesn't really deserve to have any team in this discussion. Pittsburgh and the Yankees have proven themselves repeatedly.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  19. #19
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this an admission to a knee-jerk reaction?

    They throw in Pittsburgh because Steelers Nation is absurdly huge relative to the fanbase of just about every other NFL team, not just the actual city of Pittsburgh. They could be playing at an opponent with a long history of sellouts, or on the other side of the country, and >15% of the stadium will still be twirling a terrible towel.

    Size of the hometown city has nothing to do with it.

    The Lakers arent' a good choice because, as I said above, the NBA doesn't really deserve to have any team in this discussion. Pittsburgh and the Yankees have proven themselves repeatedly.
    I honestly can say that over the past few years the Yankee's fanbase has kind of been in limbo. I wouldn't go as far as calling them the best.

    I agree with whoever said it was St. Louis who had the best fans, because IMO they do.

    When it comes to the Steelers, I blame the towel. If it weren't for that, there'd be no two Super Bowl Championships this decade.

  20. #20
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    It should be three, or perhaps four. Damn Patriots winning AFC Title games in Pittsburgh, especially during our 15-1 season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  21. #21
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It should be three, or perhaps four. Damn Patriots winning AFC Title games in Pittsburgh, especially during our 15-1 season.

  22. #22
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,585

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because Pittsburgh, (#22 on the MSA list), qualifies as a "larger" market?



    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

    Pittsburgh is certainly not a large market, but the Steeler fan base extends well beyond western Pennsylvania. There are Steeler fans everywhere, many of them having no connection whatsoever to Pittsburgh. So while the market of the team is "small", the national following and overall fan base is huge. They have to have one of the largest fan bases in the NFL and it is fair to compare the size of the fan base to that of the Yankees or Lakers.

    The Lakers, Yankees, and Steelers all have something in common: They all have a ton of championships (Lakers are 2 in the NBA, Yanks and Steelers are 1 in their sports). There is certainly something to be said about the "paradox" that the most successful franchises always have the most fans.

  23. #23
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,228

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    I think Cubs fans deserve some love. If ever there was a cursed franchise, that is it. And yet support remains high year after year after year.

  24. #24
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,585

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Cubs fans deserve some love. If ever there was a cursed franchise, that is it. And yet support remains high year after year after year.

    I kinda disagree. I think the fact that they are cursed makes them "cooler" and more fun to root for. I know that there are plenty of die hard Cubs fans out there, but I think that there are a lot of people who have jumped on the "cursed Cubs" bandwagon because they want to be a part of something special if they ever do actually win it all. The Cubs losing has actually made them more popular. I know that there are plenty of Cubs fans who want to win more than anything, but I can't help but think that some of them love wallowing in their sorrows.

    Same with the Red Sox. They have plenty of die hard fans but I think the constant losing for 86 years made a lot of people around the country feel sorry for them. Thus, they became part of "the nation" in hopes that they could be part of something big if the Sox ever actually won a WS.

    See, you have two historically losing franchises with 2 of the largest fan bases in the MLB, showing that it's just as easy to bandwagon on a bad team as it is a good one.

  25. #25
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,859

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree that Lakers fans are the best in the NBA?

    How can the best fans in the NBA show up to most games 8 minutes into them and leave 8 minutes early?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Similar Threads

  1. Report: Lakers, Bynum agree on 4-year extension [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 05:00 PM
  2. Lakers agree to terms with 2nd-round draft pick [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 10:00 PM
  3. Lakers, Vujacic agree to 3-year, $15 million deal [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 08:40 PM
  4. So spygate ends in a wimper, not a roar
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 05-17-2008, 01:57 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •