Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Artest turned the corner?

Default Has Artest turned the corner?

I found a similar thread on another board but I wanted to get some thoughts on how PD thinks of this. Ron Ron has been very quietly going about his business in Houston. He is still one of the best defenders in the NBA and still a great scorer. This is the one guy, if it were not for his antics, that I would love to have back on our team. Has the trade to Houston humbled him or is he finally getting it? He is a unrestricted fee agent and probably heavily sought after this off season.
    Last edited by stevo; 04-13-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Has Artest turned the corner of maturity?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I found a similar thread on another board but I wanted to get some thoughts on how PD thinks of this. Ron Ron has been very quietly going about his business in Houston. He is still one of the best defenders in the NBA and still a great scorer. This is the one guy, if it were not for his antics, that I would love to have back on our team. Has the trade to Houston humbled him or is he finally getting it? He is a unrestricted fee agent and probably heavily sought after this off season.
    I think he's finally on a team where he knows and accepts that he is not the best player. He came there knowing that Yao is the man and he's accepted his role of second scorer and top defender.

I think he would've turned it around if he had been traded to the Lakers last year (like the rumors stated) because of his respect of Kobe.

Then again, I'm sure he knows that he's in a contract year and must be on his best behavior if he wants a decent payday this offseason. That has to play a major factor. He's crazy but not stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Has Artest turned the corner?

Cleveland needs him, almost as much as LA and Boston. Hopefully one of those three teams takes him and implodes. Imagine Ron Ron and LBJ having staredowns on the court about who gets touches, and the media circus that would surround their franchise and the off court drama as Artest believes he is being dissed by King James. Maybe they can work on a rap album together next November / December and fulfill the Tru Warier's ultimate fantasy -- a successful rap album from a sales standpoint!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A matter of time...

I think the Rockets are gonna win the championship this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck View Post
    I think the Rockets are gonna win the championship this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    A matter of time...
    It was a matter of time until he found his role and matured. Good for the Rockets. They have a hell of a player
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

If Artest does turn a corner, I hope it leads him right over the edge of a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    If Artest does turn a corner, I hope it leads him right over the edge of a cliff.
    That sounds kind of rough bro. Even if you have harsh feelings for him, no need to get harsh ..... Pardon me if im interpreting Rambo's comments incorretly
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Has Artest turned the corner of maturity?

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I think he's finally on a team where he knows and accepts that he is not the best player. He came there knowing that Yao is the man and he's accepted his role of second scorer and top defender.

I think he would've turned it around if he had been traded to the Lakers last year (like the rumors stated) because of his respect of Kobe.

Then again, I'm sure he knows that he's in a contract year and must be on his best behavior if he wants a decent payday this offseason. That has to play a major factor. He's crazy but not stupid.
    Good points. There still is rumors of a LA swap of Odom and Artest but I would think LA would be looking at the FA market for a vet PG to spell Derek. He will be 35 next year. If there is a chance the LBJ won't be in Cleveland, I doubt he would go there.

Talk to me about this after the playoffs.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Artest hasn't matured. He's merely doing what's best for himself in the midst of a contract year. He knows he's unrestricted and that if he had any hope of making big money after this season he had better be on his best behavior. That's all it is. After he gets his payday this off season it will be back to Ron being Ron.

I think he has matured a little. He is playing for his favorite coach and still takes some horrible shots - so I doubt things are as good on the insude as it seems on the outside.

I still enjoy watching him play though - although it makes me sad when I think what could have been for him here in Indy. He could have been one of the most popular Pacers players of all time

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

He is a unrestricted fee agent and probably heavily sought after this off season.
    And we have a winner.

OTOH who is really a team cancer - Ron, TMac or AI? I mean isn't it odd that two of those guys leave teams or get injured and their teams get better but when the 3rd one is missing the team gets worse.

Ron may be a handful, but honestly he's been more of a winner than a lot of guys considered better than him.

Plus let's consider this - you had 4 key guys to move, Ron, Jack, Tins, JO. When did things really start to look better and we saw some improved team chemistry late in a season. When Ron was removed, when Jack was traded, or this year?

I probably wouldn't risk it with Ron, but in terms of "if we remove him our problems are solved" has been PROVEN false. And Reggie told us all at the time that this was the case. Ron might be some of the problem but it's starting to look like he's less a problem than his positives on court can easily overcome.

To me it honestly feels like we had 2 legit tough/emotional players and 2 "stars", and while the emotional guys drew all the early attention it looks like they also brought a lot of positive intangibles to the table.

Hard not to think of Wallace/Wallace in a similar light.

Probably doesn't matter, they'd never risk it again....unless Bird didn't feel burned and it was Walsh who'd had enough. You'll recall that the story was that DW went off on Ron at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Artest hasn't matured. He's merely doing what's best for himself in the midst of a contract year. He knows he's unrestricted and that if he had any hope of making big money after this season he had better be on his best behavior. That's all it is. After he gets his payday this off season it will be back to Ron being Ron.
    Even if this were the case, it would show progress. Ron has often done things that were counter to his own best interest.

However, I will still withhold judgment until after I see him go through a tough playoff series, perhaps two.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    And we have a winner.

Plus let's consider this - you had 4 key guys to move, Ron, Jack, Tins, JO. When did things really start to look better and we saw some improved team chemistry late in a season. When Ron was removed, when Jack was traded, or this year?
    I would say when Jackson was sent packing. Having Jackson and Artest on the same team was one hell of crap shoot. Artest placed the blame on himself which he should of but he also made it easy for Bird and Walsh to send him on his way. To bad though because things might have been better if it was Jackson and JO sent packing first.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    I would say when Jackson was sent packing. Having Jackson and Artest on the same team was one hell of crap shoot. Artest placed the blame on himself which he should of but he also made it easy for Bird and Walsh to send him on his way. To bad though because things might have been better if it was Jackson and JO sent packing first.
    IMO, Tinsley was and always has been the biggest Pacers problem player outside of Ron Ron. Reggie's comments about the Pacers after he retired were pretty pointed in Tinsley's direction when he said - "As Tinsley goes, so the Pacers go."

It's really a moot point though because the Pacers had too many boisterous personalities on the same team to ever make it work. That and I think Reggie was too passive with his young teammates. He and the coaching staff should've made it clear that Reggie is the leader of the team, regardless of the stats. Things might've turned out a little differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Tinsley was and always has been the biggest Pacers problem player outside of Ron Ron. Reggie's comments about the Pacers after he retired were pretty pointed in Tinsley's direction when he said - "As Tinsley goes, so the Pacers go."

I disagree. I think what Reggie was trying to say was if Tinsley could stay healthy they can be really good. He was implying that this wouldn't happen by the wording he chose.

It's really a moot point though because the Pacers had too many boisterous personalities on the same team to ever make it work. That and I think Reggie was too passive with his young teammates. He and the coaching staff should've made it clear that Reggie is the leader of the team, regardless of the stats. Things might've turned out a little differently.

I do agree with this point. The Pacers back then lacked leadership which cultivated into bad decisions. Reggie probably tried to lead them at first but when it was apparent he couldn't maybe he just didn't care anymore.
    Last edited by stevo; 04-13-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't care about any evidence to the contrary. Artest has not turned anything. Unless you say he turned those who believed in him and trusted him into fools.

Ron had a lot of corners to navigate.

His trip to Africa this summer turned out to a pilgrimmage.

The seasons with Artest-
    It was the best of times... It was the worst of times...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tick...tick...tick...

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

After being a main contributor to an event that crippled the Pacers, he has no business being back on this team. Even if you like him, there are many other Pacer fans who do not, and they are justified. It's not worth bringing a player back who will generate a lot of animosity.

No one has ever doubted his basketball ability. But he doesn't belong on this team.

Sports Logo

I will further expand on count55's comments......ask me whether Artest has "turned the corner" at the start of the 2010-2011 season. By the 2010-2011 season, he would have had 1 full season under his belt with the newly minted 2009-2010 contract that he has ALWAYS been pinning for ( which I admit that he has...in some ways...earned ).

As noted before......there is a 1 year honeymoon period that he has with ANY team that he moves to....he had it with the Kings once he was traded for Peja.....then after that 1st year....he started going all Ron-Ron on the Maloofs. He's had only 1 season with the Rockets and is doing the same thing he did with the Kings in his 1st year with them.....doing all the right things at the right time. Right now, he's at the end of the honeymoon with the Rockets while being on his best behavior holding out for a new Contract as one of the top FAs in the 2009-2010 Offseason.

If he is the way that he is now after 1 full season with his future Team......then I agree.....he would have turned the corner.....but until then....he has shown me nothing that he hasn't shown me before....he has done the same thing with the Rockets that he did with the Kings and the Pacers. The Rockets are lucky enough to pass off the ticking time bomb before it could go off.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-13-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.