Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default {IndyStar}Kravitz: For Next Year, Pacers Need Some Nastieness

Indystar.com
    By: Bob Kravitz
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009.../1034/SPORTS15

April 12, 2009

For next year, Pacers need some nastiness

You have questions about the Indiana Pacers' direction this offseason. We have answers.

Where do the Pacers look in the NBA draft?

Let's assume they aren't going to make any lottery magic, although they've certainly been due since the Patrick Ewing draft. Their biggest need -- and stop me when this gets too obvious -- is at the power forward spot. Not that Troy Murphy hasn't had a tremendous season, but the Pacers need a big, long, disagreeable human being who will guard the paint like fine china. Think in terms of a younger Jeff Foster, but with much better low-post skills.

Murphy is offensively tailor-made for Jim O'Brien's system, but Murphy and Roy Hibbert together are a slow-footed defensive nightmare.

"We need an athletic big who has a little bit of nastiness offensively and defensively within 10 feet of the basket,'' O'Brien said before Saturday's game against the Detroit Pistons. "That would be our top priority.''

Of course, there aren't a lot of those kinds of players in this draft. Blake Griffin surely will go first. Then there are names like Arizona's Jordan Hill, Kentucky's Patrick Patterson and my early favorite, Pitt's DeJuan Blair.

"We could try to get that player in a number of ways,'' O'Brien said. "We've got a little bit of money to work with. There are trade possibilities. The problem is, if it's a rookie, it's a rookie. To ask a rookie to be that tough, nasty hombre inside, that's a lot to ask.''

If the power forward the Pacers want isn't available when they pick, they won't hesitate to jump on the point guard of the future. How does Ty Lawson of North Carolina sound? Or Memphis' Tyreke Evans?

Just because the Pacers have T.J. Ford returning and are likely to re-sign restricted free agent Jarrett Jack doesn't mean they won't grab a point guard who can take them beyond sub-.500 purgatory in the future.

"Absolutely, point guard would be the other area we would take a strong look at,'' O'Brien said. "If you could find somebody who, in three years, could be a starter on a team that contends in the Eastern Conference, then you go for it.''

Speaking of point guards . . . who's the Pacers' point guard next season?

Good question.

My sense is, in O'Brien's perfect world, Ford rebounds from his late-season demotion to the bench and wins back the starting job next fall. That gives the coach the option of using Jack as a backup at both the point and the two-guard spots, or even lets him use the two together in smaller lineups.

Ford hasn't exactly been a total disappointment, but he hasn't been a revelation, either. He still pounds the ball too much, still gets stuck in the lane too often with no place to go.

Either way, the Pacers are in a far better place than they were a year ago. Last year, they had nobody at the point; next year, they might have two solid pros competing for the spot.

So who will be playing his last game as a Pacer on Wednesday night?

No surprises. Rasho Nesterovic was brought here for his expiring, $8.4 million contract. He's a goner. Marquis Daniels, who is too injury-prone, will not be retained after making $6.8 this past season. Eddie Jones' $2 million comes off the cap. And the Pacers will get some cash and cap relief the longer Mike Dunleavy remains out of commission, once the insurance payoff kicks in.

If you include Jamaal Tinsley's $7.2 million and the rookie contracts, it's safe to figure the Pacers will have about $8 to $10 million and change to use during the offseason. It's not a ton of money, and the Pacers figure to spend some of it to keep Jack, but it's more than they've had in recent years when they were chained to Jermaine O'Neal's deal.

(If you hear whimpering, that's Larry Bird, still crying about the Tinsley-to-Orlando deal that blew up 10 minutes short of the trade deadline.)

"We're going to have more flexibility than we've had in a long time,'' said Pacers general manager David Morway.

That's the good news. The bad news is, they're still going to carry around $16 million in dead money on their payroll. That's $7.2 million on Tinsley and $9.7 million on Dunleavy, who won't be back any time soon. There's no margin for error in the draft or when signing free agents, not now.

The bottom line is, if the Pacers are going to take that next step, Bird has to hit some home runs. No more Shawne Williams drafts on his watch. (Anybody know what's happened to Stanko Barac?)

How far away are the Pacers from making the playoffs?

Not far at all. Especially not in the East, where sub-.500 will get you to the postseason.

How far away are the Pacers from being real contenders?

Three years, minimum. And maybe longer given the contracts of Dunleavy and Tinsley. Bird still has one of the toughest rebuilding jobs in the NBA. This won't be fixed any time soon.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: {IndyStar}Kravitz: For Next Year, Pacers Need Some Nastieness

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

"Absolutely, point guard would be the other area we would take a strong look at,'' O'Brien said. "If you could find somebody who, in three years, could be a starter on a team that contends in the Eastern Conference, then you go for it.''
    This suggests to me that Obie does not believe that either of our point guards can be started on a contender or that he does not believe they will be here in three seasons.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Nice article. I like DuJuan Blair in a Pacers uni next year. I just hope he isn' the 2nd coming of Big Baby Davis. 6'6 PF have to be extraordinary in some way.

[quote=Bob Kravitz]

Their biggest need -- and stop me when this gets too obvious -- is at the power forward spot. Not that Troy Murphy hasn't had a tremendous season, but the Pacers need a big, long, disagreeable human being who will guard the paint like fine china. Think in terms of a younger Jeff Foster, but with much better low-post skills.

Murphy is offensively tailor-made for Jim O'Brien's system, but Murphy and Roy Hibbert together are a slow-footed defensive nightmare.

"We need an athletic big who has a little bit of nastiness offensively and defensively within 10 feet of the basket,'' O'Brien said before Saturday's game against the Detroit Pistons. "That would be our top priority.''

Kravitz is missing what O'B is saying, just like a lot of posters on here. O'B said we need a an athletic big, he's not saying we need a replacement for Murphy. The best scenario would be an athletic big that can play both power positions.

And the Pacers will get some cash and cap relief the longer Mike Dunleavy remains out of commission, once the insurance payoff kicks in.

The above is not true unless Dun is forced to retire.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 04-12-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This suggests to me that Obie does not believe that either of our point guards can be started on a contender or that he does not believe they will be here in three seasons.
    O'Brien has been saying this for a while...On his March 26th show he said:

They all have strengths and weaknesses. None of them are dominant in any phase of the game. So, as a result, you're right about me changing up the lineups. I wish I had the luxury to say, all right, we've got Point Guard A, and he's dominant, and he's got to be the Point Guard, he's gonna start 82 games. B is the perfect complement to A, and he's gonna get 12 minutes, the other guy's going to get 36. If somebody gets hurt, we're going to throw in this third point guard.

I didn't have that luxury, and when you're a team that's double-digits wins under .500, you'll find that very few teams that have the record that we do have the luxury of saying, "Well, we're so good that we don't have to change up the lineup or change up the rotation."
    Boyle then asked, "That's such an important position, do you feel you have to have that A-B-C combination in order to contend?"

O'Brien replied:

You definitely have to have A. You definitely have to have a guy that can score, hurt the other team with Assist/Turnover, create the tempo that the head coach wants, then be able to defend his position. You're not gonna see anybody contending for a championship not having that.
    BTW...when he says dominant, he's not necessarily talking about Nash/Paul type of dominance. The guys he mentioned were Derek Fisher (smart, runs Jackson's offense, defends well), Tony Parker, and Rajon Rondo.

I'm happy with the way they've battled this year, but if you're ever going to contend, you have to solidify that position.

Sports Logo

As suggested by Kravitz and many others here on the forum....we need some nastiness and some enforcer that could do the things that the rest of the likely frontcourt doesn't do.

Is there anybody in the draft that can help fill that need for us?

Is there any realistic Frontcourt player that we can acquire or sign that can do that for us?

Basically.......where can we find our next Antonio or Dale Davis to go along with our Rik Smits/Roy Hibbert?
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-12-2009 at 08:59 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Not that Troy Murphy hasn't had a tremendous season, but the Pacers need a big, long, disagreeable human being who will guard the paint like fine china. Think in terms of a younger Jeff Foster, but with much better low-post skills.

Where have I heard of a person like this before?????

Oh wait......

Yes I know he is to old and retired, but every now and then I have to have some excuse for breaking out some old Dale Davis/Mark Jacskon footage.

Absolutely agree we need an athletic, enforcer type. DuJuan Blair is a favorite of mine in this draft as well. Dude is tough and silky smooth (as the great Zohan would say) around the basket. I'm just a little concerned about his height and how that translates to the pros vs. college.

That's why I'm a little surprised nobody around here seems to be talking about Ronny Turiaf... and I'm posting (for the first time in months) to find out why. So please tell me! Ronny Turiaf instantly springs to mind as someone who could fill the PF (or even C from time to time) role nicely and not cost us too much in terms of what we would need to trade for him.

He's 6'10" and, in only 20 minutes, he's averaging about 6 points (51% FG), 5 rebs, and over 2 blocks per game. If he doesn't have much of a mid-range game yet, I'm sure it could develop into a very solid aspect of his game. He's shooting free throws at nearly 80%.

As a starter with us, I could see him averaging 10 points, 8 rebs, and 2-3 blocks per game. And, with him and Hibbert patrolling the lane, we'd be awfully tough inside. You can even match him up with Murphy. So what gives? I'm almost tempted to trade our draft pick for him and something else (2nd rounder, future draft pick, etc.). Why would we not go after this guy?

Also, please no Lawson in the draft... If you thought Tinsley was bad at defense, wait until you see him trying to guard at the NBA level. The guy was lit up in the ACC.

BTW, what is he talking about a young Jeff Foster for.

I was under the impression we wanted a physical defender and rebounder, not a hustler and finesse player.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    As suggested by Kravitz and many others here on the forum....we need some nastiness and some enforcer that could do the things that the rest of the likely frontcourt doesn't do.

Is there anybody in the draft that can help fill that need for us?

Is there any realistic Frontcourt player that we can acquire or sign that can do that for us?

Basically.......where can we find our next Antonio or Dale Davis to go along with our Rik Smits/Roy Hibbert?
    There you go doing what I'm talking about. Everyone is wanting to replace a guy averaging 12 rebounds a game. I just want a big like O'B is talking about.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good to know that Kravitz has been reading my posts...

Peck I love your DD video and notice who is dishing it to him in the majority of those highlights. Having a DD type player is important but what we REALLY need is a point guard like Mark Jackson again. I would love to somehow be in a position to draft Brandon Jennings.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

I was under the impression we wanted a physical defender and rebounder, not a hustler and finesse player.
    That's Kravitz's take on what O'B said, it doesn't mean anything.

Troy Murphy hasn't had a tremendous season, but the Pacers need a big, long, disagreeable human being who will guard the paint like fine china.....

JOb is saying all the right things. A 43 year old Dale Davis would probably help this team.

Rasho Nesterovic was brought here for his expiring, $8.4 million contract. He's a goner. Marquis Daniels, who is too injury-prone, will not be retained after making $6.8 this past season. Eddie Jones' $2 million comes off the cap. And the Pacers will get some cash and cap relief the longer Mike Dunleavy remains out of commission, once the insurance payoff kicks in.
    Hmmm. So, we will get at least 17.2M back. Should be more than enough to pay the operating costs at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"We're going to have more flexibility than we've had in a long time,'' said Pacers general manager David Morway.
    Well, I'll be! David Morway agrees. The Pacers are flush with cash. Problem solved!

How far away are the Pacers from being real contenders?

Three years, minimum. And maybe longer given the contracts of Dunleavy and Tinsley. Bird still has one of the toughest rebuilding jobs in the NBA. This won't be fixed any time soon.
    What about Murphy's (whos contract is bigger than Dunleavy's and Ford's)?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post

Absolutely agree we need an athletic, enforcer type. DuJuan Blair is a favorite of mine in this draft as well. Dude is tough and silky smooth (as the great Zohan would say) around the basket. I'm just a little concerned about his height and how that translates to the pros vs. college.
    I was thinking the same....but I too am concerned about his height. Although he would fit the "tough rebounding" PF that we are looking for.....not that Dale/Antonio Davis were great shotblockers....but is there a need for someone that can offer some aspect of that?

or

Can we have an undersized but tough rebounding PF playing alongside a 7'2" Center that can do some of the shotblocking?

Also....was Dale/Antonio really that athletic?

and

Does this player that we are talking about HAVE to be athletic?

That's why I'm a little surprised nobody around here seems to be talking about Ronny Turiaf... and I'm posting (for the first time in months) to find out why. So please tell me! Ronny Turiaf instantly springs to mind as someone who could fill the PF (or even C from time to time) role nicely and not cost us too much in terms of what we would need to trade for him.

He's 6'10" and, in only 20 minutes, he's averaging about 6 points (51% FG), 5 rebs, and over 2 blocks per game. If he doesn't have much of a mid-range game yet, I'm sure it could develop into a very solid aspect of his game. He's shooting free throws at nearly 80%.

As a starter with us, I could see him averaging 10 points, 8 rebs, and 2-3 blocks per game. And, with him and Hibbert patrolling the lane, we'd be awfully tough inside. You can even match him up with Murphy. So what gives? I'm almost tempted to trade our draft pick for him and something else (2nd rounder, future draft pick, etc.). Why would we not go after this guy?
    Cuz the Warriors locked him up for a long term contract and would want to keep him for the very same reason that we do.

We have nothing that the Warriors would want that would even entice them to trade him to us.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

And the Pacers will get some cash and cap relief the longer Mike Dunleavy remains out of commission, once the insurance payoff kicks in.
    Kravtiz really needs to do a little research on this subject.

As a starter with us, I could see him averaging 10 points, 8 rebs, and 2-3 blocks per game. And, with him and Hibbert patrolling the lane, we'd be awfully tough inside. You can even match him up with Murphy. So what gives? I'm almost tempted to trade our draft pick for him and something else (2nd rounder, future draft pick, etc.). Why would we not go after this guy? .
    Couple things.

1st, the Warriors have Turiaf on a semi-reasonable 4 year/$16M deal that isn't escalating. He adds an element to them that they need.

Second, this guy would be poor as a fulltime starter. He's undersized as a starter at center and underskilled as a starter at PF. He's an energy player with some bulk.

His shotblocking is good but a bit overrated. He'll get some blocks from hustling and meeting unsuspecting guys at the rim, but overall he's not a guy who's going to deter people from always coming into the lane and changing the strategy of opposing offenses. Not that you'd expect a $4M a year backup to be able to do that. His rebounding also suffers because he's caught out of position going for blocks.

All that being said, he's a good guy to have around as an energy bigman off the bench, he's a likable guy around his teammates and with the fans. With his semi-reasonable deal and his ability to fill a roll the Warriors need, I don't see any viable trade between the Pacers and Warriors involving Turiaf that would make both teams happy.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Kravtiz really needs to do a little research on this subject.
    Most of 'em do.

I have a feeling that Blair could be a bust, especially with conditioning issues. I have a feeling he could become another tractor Traylor

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    There you go doing what I'm talking about.
    I'm glad that our Psychic link is working

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Everyone is wanting to replace a guy averaging 12 rebounds a game. I just want a big like O'B is talking about.
    What do you mean that everyone wants to replace a guy averaging 12 rebounds a game?
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-12-2009 at 10:51 PM.

I think drafting for need is overrated especially in basketball. Adding a role player isn't going to do much to help the record. The Pacers need to add another scorer. I like Gerald Henderson from Duke, he can create his own shot and he can score at the rim. Great athelete and great potential. He has a high reward with low risk at the same time. If all pans out he is as good as Granger if it doesn't pan out he is another Courtney Lee type rookie.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post
    I think drafting for need is overrated especially in basketball. Adding a role player isn't going to do much to help the record. The Pacers need to add another scorer. I like Gerald Henderson from Duke, he can create his own shot and he can score at the rim. Great athelete and great potential. He has a high reward with low risk at the same time. If all pans out he is as good as Granger if it doesn't pan out he is another Courtney Lee type rookie.
    I don't entirely agree here.......we do need some talented, athletic players that have some basketball IQ....but the last thing this team needs is another offensive-minded player.

If anything....we have as much of a need for a defensive-minded player that does all those things that the rest of the team doesn't do to complement the other scorers that aren't that great defenders ( Ford and MurphLeavy ). If TPTB decide to go after a Frontcourt player....as suggested before...we need a meaner, more aggressive, mirror-universe version of Jeff Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post
    I like your point here. Drafting by need based on position is overrated. However, drafting by need based on skill is not overrated. Whatever the position and where ever the Pacers pick, I would almost guarantee that they will draft a player with a strong basketball IQ and impressive defensive skills--regardless of that player's position. Those are their biggest needs, although it seems that those needs won't be filled in this draft, unless luck shines it's light on us this draft lottery.

As far as free agency or trade speculation, I am intrigued by Brandon Bass.

Read this snippet about Bass playing impressive defense against Shaq. This comes from a Dallas Mavs blog in the Dallas Morning News, written by Tim MacMahon.
    http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/brandon-bass/
    The majority of the coverage of the Mavs' crucial blowout of the Suns will focus Jason Kidd and Josh Howard.

Rightfully so. Kidd's 19-point, 20-assist afternoon is on the short list of best performances by a point guard in Mavs' history. Howard played extremely well despite chronic ankle pain, providing energy and putting up 24 points in 27 minutes.

But Brandon Bass' contributions shouldn't be overlooked.

Shaq had his way with his old buddy Erick(a) Dampier in the first quarter. The best big man of our generation didn't do much once his fellow LSU alum Bass got off the bench, scoring only eight points in the final three quarters.

Bass had 14 points on 6-of-8 shooting, but his defense against Shaq was a big reason the Mavs were plus-31 in Bass' 27 minutes.

Bass' primary goal was to keep Shaq out of the paint. Easier said than done, considering Bass is about seven inches shorter and 90 pounds lighter than Shaq. How did he do it?

"Man, I don't know, to tell you the truth," Bass said. "I don't know. I was like, I'm gonna bump him when I see him coming down. I'm going to try to give him the three-bump rule from the free throw line, you know what I mean? Then I'm just hoping they don't want to give him the ball."
    I'm not sure what our options are in regards to having a chance to get Bass, but he seems like a player that is about ready to blossom if given the opportunity.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I honestly think that McRoberts could be what the Pacers really need. IMO, he's already a more offensively talented version of Jeff Foster. He's shown the ability to defend the paint and score on the low block effectively. I thought he did a good job against Brad Miller in the Chicago game and Maxiel against the Pistons.

If the Pacers can't address their PF/Post defender needs through the draft, they should work on grooming McBob for the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

First off, this is coming from a coach that nearly refuses to work McRoberts up to speed despite him already being the most athletic, power PF/big on the team. So that confuses the heck out of me.

But worse is this as Will pointed out...
    And the Pacers will get some cash and cap relief
    Don't look now Dave Morway, someone's after your job.

GDit Bob, you've got 2 f'ing pro teams in town and you still don't come close to understanding a damn thing about at least one of them. WTF is it that you do all day because it's clearly not focused on sports. It's not just me here, clearly guys like Count get this far better and we all have non-sports day jobs. For F's sake, if all I did was sports writing I'd know everything about the Colts, Pacers and the track. I'd also try to know as much about the other sports in town at all levels naturally, but those 3 I'd be perfect on.

Every single opinion from a guy who's sole job is to write opinions goes right out the window when we see that his opinion is based on blatently incorrect facts. He might as well tell us we don't need a center with Roy going 36 minutes and night averaging 20-10.

Why did I even bother, I don't know. Actually I do know, its because I enjoy the Pacers enough to read just about anything about them, even when I shouldn't.

ps - welcome to the Blair wagon, that ship came and went months ago, but boy you sure know how to spot 'em early.