Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Agents in 2011

Default Free Agents in 2011

I was just taking a look at free agents that are available in 2011. We have Dunleavy, Ford (if he exercises his player option in 2010), Tinsley and Murphy all coming off the books. We'll have a lot of cap space to play around and sign come players. Looking at the available players, there isn't anyone that is really interesting (that we could realisically sign). Melo is one of the players available, but with Rush and Granger to be the future swingmen and Melo's character issues, I dont see us signing him. http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2011/

We could always trade expirers at the trade deadline though.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Free Agents in 2011

Trading expiring contracts is really our best option for getting better. Not a lot of top-tier free agents want to sign with a landlocked midwestern team that, let's face it, has not been near an elite team for some time now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A fair amount of our cap space is going to go towards resigning Rush and Hibbert.

Hibbert is going to be getting PAID here in a few years. He's already showing signs of being pretty good, he has a rather ruthless agent, and he's a big (bigs are always overpaid).

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

When have we signed a major FA?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Free Agents the Pacers have signed since 2002

Anthony Johnson
    Eddie Gill
    Saranus
    Maceo
    Flip Murray

Sorry MillerTime, but I don't think anything has changed that is going to lead the Pacers to start playing with free agent money.

Sports Logo

Assuming that we do not make any real changes:

- we let MurphLeavy, Foster, Tinsley and Ford expire
    - we draft players in both the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011
    - we resign Jack for some reasonable price where he will be on the books at the start of the 2011-2012 season

What will our Salary Cap situation likely be?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As much as I would hate to see Troy go in 2011 I think it would bring us a lot of options in our future.

Our cap would look like this at the start of 2011-2012:

Granger 12 million
    Rush 2.95 million (last year of team option/rookie deal)
    Hibbert 2.6 million (see above)
    Jack 4 million?
    1st Rd pick 2009 2.2 million**
    1st rd pick 2010 2 million**
    1st rd pick 2011 1.9 million**

**Assuming we pick where we're at now for the next few years

27.7 million roughly

Obviously we only have 7 players under contract. We may have a couple of 2nd rounders on the roster at the time and maybe a seasoned NBA vet or two who sign on the cheap. A guy like McRoberts could still be around and a guy like Foster may want to do another year at a smaller salary as well.

Murphy would be 31 at the time and Dunleavy could be retired by that point, but would also be 31. Depending upon the circumstances, I could see the Pacers resigning one or both (obviously depending upon health and numbers). However, as was alluded to earlier, Dunleavy could easily retire, Murphy could be dealt for a package of players as well.

I think some of the cap will be earmarked for guys like Rush and Hibbert. Also, with the potential lockout on the horizon, that could add another dynamic to the cap situation as well.

I doubt those guys finish their contracts here. I expect that as we get closer to the end we'll end up moving them, just like with Cro.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When was the last time they had any cap space to do so? That's not really a fair statement, IMO.

The guy that jumps out at me is Nene. If he shows he can stay healthy over the next few years and continues to develop he would be a very nice compliment to Hibbert and still pretty young.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    When was the last time they had any cap space to do so? That's not really a fair statement, IMO.

The guy that jumps out at me is Nene. If he shows he can stay healthy over the next few years and continues to develop he would be a very nice compliment to Hibbert and still pretty young.
    The reason we typically don't have the cap space to do it is because of situations like Croshere's where we trade him at the last minute to get Quis. If the Pacers thought they could have been real players in the FA market after Cro expired they never would have gone after Quis.

The Pacers are a draft and trade team, we don't really attract free agents. I mean, you can get your Byron Scott, Duane Ferrell, or Smooth-type role players, but that's about it.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    The reason we typically don't have the cap space to do it is because of situations like Croshere's where we trade him at the last minute to get Quis. If the Pacers thought they could have been real players in the FA market after Cro expired they never would have gone after Quis.

The Pacers are a draft and trade team, we don't really attract free agents. I mean, you can get your Byron Scott, Duane Ferrell, or Smooth-type role players, but that's about it.
    That is a fair statement that I would have answered Tater with.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I doubt those guys finish their contracts here. I expect that as we get closer to the end we'll end up moving them, just like with Cro.
    I doubt we unload anyone given that many teams will be trying to do the same thing. Yes we could have problems with this expensive roster for two more years but after that.....

This is probably worth bumping every few months as the date gets ever closer. I know we never sign FA's, but let's just assume for the fun of it.

Even with the young core we've got, I don't see any position as be set in stone. I do see PG as the biggest need, followed by Player X (athletic big man who can play alongside both Tyler and Roy).

Here are some interesting names from the list:

Al Horford (R)
    Tyson Chandler
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Carl Landry
    Shane Battier
    Tayshaun Prince
    Rodney Stuckey (R)
    Mike Conley (R)
    Kevin Durant (R)
    Jeff Green (R)
    Thaddeus Young (R)
    Greg Oden (R)
    Richard Jefferson
    Tony Parker
    Andrei Kirilenko
    Caron Butler
    Paul Pierce

I don't see any one player who's going both possible and going to push us over the top. Pierce will be 34. Nowitzki will be 33. I doubt either guy leaves their current team.

The most intriguing to me is Tony Parker. He'll only be 29 and it's entirely possible that San Antonio might not match a max offer. Duncan will be 35 and they might be looking to rebuild.

I don't know if an unmatchable offer to Horford is possible or prudent, but he'd make a very nice Player X.

Entering the FA market is essentially being willing to overpay, so which of these guys, if any, is worth overpaying for?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This is probably worth bumping every few months as the date gets ever closer. I know we never sign FA's, but let's just assume for the fun of it.

Even with the young core we've got, I don't see any position as be set in stone. I do see PG as the biggest need, followed by Player X (athletic big man who can play alongside both Tyler and Roy).

Al Horford (R)
    Tyson Chandler
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Carl Landry
    Shane Battier
    Tayshaun Prince
    Rodney Stuckey (R)
    Mike Conley (R)
    Kevin Durant (R)
    Jeff Green (R)
    Thaddeus Young (R)
    Greg Oden (R)
    Richard Jefferson
    Tony Parker
    Andrei Kirilenko
    Caron Butler
    Paul Pierce

I don't see any one player who's going both possible and going to push us over the top. Pierce will be 34. Nowitzki will be 33. I doubt either guy leaves their current team.

The most intriguing to me is Tony Parker. He'll only be 29 and it's entirely possible that San Antonio might not match a max offer. Duncan will be 35 and they might be looking to rebuild.

I don't know if an unmatchable offer to Horford is possible or prudent, but he'd make a very nice Player X.

Entering the FA market is essentially being willing to overpay, so which of these guys, if any, is worth overpaying for?
    I dont see Spurs letting go of Parker, unless he gets a ridiculous offer. The 2 players off that list that I would love to get is Stuckey and Horford. Both of them would be a long shot, I dont see their teams letting them go for merely nothing. But definitely a starting 5 of

Stuckey
    Rush or Jones
    Granger
    Horford
    Hibbert

Would be amazing to see in Indy
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Tony Parker might be available, with Duncan getting older and his heir apparent already on the team. However, to make Indiana an attractive destination, we would have to already be a playoff team that looks like they are a piece away from higher contention. I'm losing hope in that happening by next year, and even if that were the case, there are probably more attractive destinations for Parker. I do think its quite possible he leaves San Antonio though.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Free Agents the Pacers have signed since 2002

Anthony Johnson
    Eddie Gill
    Saranus
    Maceo
    Flip Murray

Sorry MillerTime, but I don't think anything has changed that is going to lead the Pacers to start playing with free agent money.
    You are forgetting the guys on this year's team.
    D Jones
    S Jones
    E Watson
    L Head

I know what your point is, though.

I would say that perhaps Bird will go after the FA market more aggressively than Walsh did.

Yeah, I know, we don't have bikini populated beaches in Indiana, and that Indy doesn't match the nightlife of some other cities, but I wonder just how much effort has previously been made with respect to FA's.

OH, CRAP! I just now saw the date of this thread! Gotta clean these darn glasses.
    Last edited by Tom White; 12-16-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Al Horford (R)
    Tyson Chandler
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Carl Landry
    Shane Battier
    Tayshaun Prince
    Rodney Stuckey (R)
    Mike Conley (R)
    Kevin Durant (R)
    Jeff Green (R)
    Thaddeus Young (R)
    Greg Oden (R)
    Richard Jefferson
    Tony Parker
    Andrei Kirilenko
    Caron Butler
    Paul Pierce

Al Horford (R) - Maybe
    Tyson Chandler - Injuries and age
    Dirk Nowitzki - Will retire a Mav
    Carl Landry - Houston will re-sign
    Shane Battier - Good, but not a huge difference maker
    Tayshaun Prince - Detroit will re-sign
    Rodney Stuckey (R) - Detroit will re-sign
    Mike Conley (R) - Maybe, how good will he be though?
    Kevin Durant (R) - Not a chance. His team will give him a max.
    Jeff Green (R) - ?
    Thaddeus Young (R) - ehh?
    Greg Oden (R) - Will be in an old folks home. Seriously, he may be done by then.
    Richard Jefferson - Nah
    Tony Parker - His wife won't let him leave the warmth of the south
    Andrei Kirilenko - Age?
    Caron Butler - Nah
    Paul Pierce - Will retire a Celtic

When have we ever had any money to do so?

Tony Parker would be sweet. Dirk plays well in Conseco! haha

Money talks!

I know we never sign FA's, but let's just assume for the fun of it.
    I just wanted to reiterate this part of my post. I really don't think a bunch of "We never sign free agents/Nobody wants to come play here" posts are even remotely interesting to read.

I think Tony Parker & Al Horford are the best remotely possible names on the list. It's probably going to take a max offer to get either of them, even though they're probably not worth it.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Mike Conley would be interesting but by then I hope we have resolved the pg situation by then.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 12-16-2009 at 02:50 PM.

I just wanted to reiterate this part of my post. I really don't think a bunch of "We never sign free agents/Nobody wants to come play here" posts are even remotely interesting to read.

I think Tony Parker & Al Horford are the best remotely possible names on the list. It's probably going to take a max offer to get either of them, even though they're probably not worth it.
    Well, and the other dynamic is the fact that we've never had the kind of space that we'll have available in 2011.

Mood

Al Horford (R)
    Tyson Chandler
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Carl Landry
    Shane Battier
    Tayshaun Prince
    Rodney Stuckey (R)
    Mike Conley (R)
    Kevin Durant (R)
    Jeff Green (R)
    Thaddeus Young (R)
    Greg Oden (R)
    Richard Jefferson
    Tony Parker
    Andrei Kirilenko
    Caron Butler
    Paul Pierce
    As others have said previously, I dont see us having a chance at any of the bigger names in this list. If anything, we will most likely fill our roster that year with some of the smaller names on that list, and some of our guys we have now, including roy, brandon, DJ, Earl, and maybe Solo. That being said, realistically I would like to get Horford, Landry, or Conley off of this list.

We will also eventually need to save room for the following year for Hansbrough, if he continues his current play. He might (i said might) be the next coming of Dirk, and will need to be taken care of, obviously. To that extent, even AJ hopefully have a prominent role on the team by then and be staying.

Anywho, i really dont think the pacers will max out their cap that year anyway, and be more spend thrifty, after losing money for so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby33 View Post
    We will also eventually need to save room for the following year for Hansbrough, if he continues his current play. He might (i said might) be the next coming of Dirk, and will need to be taken care of, obviously. .
    Diggler?