Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Must read. Page 2 Bill Simmons draft report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must read. Page 2 Bill Simmons draft report

I laughed so hard a few times at this I had tears in my eyes.

I was going to highlight the funniest parts, but the whole thing is funny

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/040625

By Bill Simmons
    Page 2

I'm ashamed of many things over the years. Like that stretch in the mid-'80s when I routinely wore a white linen jacket. The time I purchased "Heart's Greatest Hits" on CD. Those two seconds when I was attracted to Chelsea Clinton. Even recently, I was flipping channels one morning, stumbled across Carrot Top on Cold Pizza and actually laughed out loud once or twice. Read that last sentence again.

Forget the mistakes of the past. The Sports Guy is going to attack this draft like a "barracuda."
    But nothing matches my shame for last summer, when I opted against traveling cross-country to Boston to watch the NBA draft with my dad. The official reason: I couldn't get out of work. Pretty lame. I received more e-mails from readers about that decision than any one I've ever made. People were shocked. People were horrified. You're not going back? I should have just hit dad over the head with a steel chair.

For 12 months, I've been racked with guilt. Remember the "Killing Fields," when Sydney couldn't get Dith Pran on the plane out of Cambodia, so he had to leave him behind ... and then he spent the rest of the movie with the "I can't believe I ditched Dith Pran" Face going? That was me. So had to make up for it. This week I flew back to Boston for a belated Father's Day trip, then arranged for us to watch the draft in an executive suite at the Ritz Carlton. It was the least I could do. Sure, I'm sending the bill to ESPN, and if they refuse to pay for it, I'm going into a Steve Francis-like funk for the next three years. But that's beside the point.

It was just like old times: me and dad watching the draft. My buddies Jacko and House even joined us. An all-star cast. One for the ages. In fact, you're never going to believe this, but I even kept a running diary ...

7:30 p.m. ET -- As Brent Musberger used to say, "You're looking LIVE at Madison Square Garden!" I'm excited because my beloved Celts have three first-rounders. House is excited for Pavel Podkolzine, whom he describes as a "cross between Gheorge Muresan and Screech." My dad's excited because he just threw down two apple martinis at the Ritz bar. And Jacko is excited for two things: "The number of bad suits, and the number of mothers who weigh over 300 pounds." So everyone's pumped.

Four highlights from the pregame show:

Possible No. 1 pick Dwight Howard on his changing fortunes: "I went from an '84 Crown Victoria that only goes up to 84 miles an hour to a new BMW that goes up to 160." Wow. You can almost hear the Orlando front office screaming, "Change of plans! Change of plans! Get Okafor on the phone!"

Jay Bilas described Howard as "very ball-friendly."

Bilas also graded potential picks in a number of categories, including "Intangibles," from 1 to 5. As Jacko said, "How do you rank intangibles from 1 to 5? Intangibles are the great unknown. And yet he ranks them. Is he clairvoyant?"

My dad uttered a total of eight words: "Who is this guy?" and "Who is this guy?" Both times Stephen A. Smith was talking. I'm not making this up.

7:31 -- David Stern comes out wearing a pink tie. This "Queer Eye" thing has really gotten out of hand. Meanwhile, my dad has already fallen asleep, shattering his previous draft-day record by nearly 75 minutes. That's it. I'm calling the nursing home tomorrow.

7:35 -- Just realized that I'm writing a column about a telecast that involves Dick Vitale, Stu Scott, Tom Tolbert and Stephen A. Smith ... and all of them are off-limits.

7:37 --The Magic are on the clock with the first pick. If they're smart, they take Emeka Okafor. If they're dumb, they take Howard. It's that simple.

Franchise center or unproven prep star? Orlando's choice speaks volumes.
    7:39 -- They go with Howard. Of course they do. He's the third high schooler taken overall in the past four years, as well as the first top pick with braces since Pervis Ellison. Not a good sign. "Praise the Lord!" screams Dwight Howard Sr., who didn't realize that the Lord had Okafor going first in his mock draft.

7:42 -- I was just typing feverishly . . . I swear somebody just said the word "marginable." More importantly, do you realize that the Clippers traded out of the No. 2 spot when there was a future All-Star center that could have been sitting there, just to pick up a second-rounder and dump a salary? Imagine being a Clippers fan? Having Elgin Baylor run your team must be like getting in the car with my mom at night, when she's careening off curbs and saying things like, "I can't believe how bad my eyes have gotten" and "We shouldn't have ordered that bottle of wine." Just constant fear.

7:45 -- Charlotte can't take Okafor fast enough. Seriously, I'm not sure they even started the clock. They borrowed Dwight Howard's car and raced to the podium at 160 mph.

7:47 -- Not only is Dick Vitale wearing a blood-red shirt, there's a black and red background behind him. And he's screaming. I keep waiting for him to morph into Beelzebub.

7:48 -- We just found out that Okafor's first name is "Chukwuemeka." Didn't they sing "Tubthumping"? And why wouldn't Okafor go with "Chukie" over "Emeka." Imagine the crowd chanting "Chooo-key! Chooo-key!

7:49 -- Bobcats GM Bernie Bickerstaff seems woozy from landing Okafor; he's making my dad seem lively right now. You can't blame him -- they just ended up with a possible franchise center. And if that wasn't enough, during Tuesday's expansion draft, Bernie used the word "Synergism." I think that won an AVN Award last year. Can you have "marginable synergism?" I need to know these things.

7:50 -- The Bulls take Ben Gordon third. Nice choice. Also sparked the first "Was that his mother or his sister?" debate of the evening. That should definitely be its own game show on ESPN6.

We all love the pick, including House: "Teams are finally getting a clue. Hey, maybe we should take the best players on teams that win an NCAA title! It's not rocket science, people! If you come through at a lower level, odds are, you're coming through at a higher level! What's wrong with these guys?" He's like Stephen A. House right now.

7:53 -- When it comes right down to it, there isn't a more secretly exciting phrase in sports than "The Clippers are on the clock." That's right up there with, "I'm here with Mike Tyson" and "Have you seen these pictures of Latrell Sprewell on his yacht?"

7:54 -- Rejuvenated by the sight of the Clippers logo, dad dives into the mini-bar for ginger ale, peanuts and pretzels. Total cost: $298. Meanwhile, House is looking through the room service menu and excitedly saying things like "Oh, look at this, veal schnitzel!" and "Oh, vichyssoise!" Yep, this may have been a mistake.

7:56 -- The Clippers take Shaun Livingston, a high school point guard who oozes upside. Of course, before they traded down from No. 2 to no. 4, they could have taken Okafor, a 6-foot-9 center who already realized his upside. But that would have made too much sense. A relieved Livingston shakes hands with David Stern, who has the "I've gotta do something about all these high schoolers, this is getting out of hand" Face going.

7:58 -- Here come the Wiz at No. 5. This seems like a good time to mention that House is wearing a game-worn Tom Gugliotta jersey from the '93-'94 Bullets season. If that's not a collector's item, I don't know what is. By the way, he's 34 years old.

7:59 - Bilas goes on a rant about Livingston, including the first "upside" comment of the night. Somewhere, Hubie Brown is beaming. That's followed by the Wizards taking Devin Harris at No. 5 -- he's headed to Dallas in the Antwan Jamison trade -- followed by Mike Tirico's revelation that Harris roomed with two females at college last year. Two women? What? He looks like he's about 14. Let's get the "Outside the Lines" crew working on this.

When not serving as Nipsey Russell's body double, Elgin runs the Clippers.
    8:05 -- Elgin raves about Livingston's potential to Jim Gray, adding, "It might take a season, it might take half a season, it might take a year." Or it could even take 12 months.

8:06 -- With the Hawks on the clock, ESPN cuts to Atlanta and shows all seven Hawks season-ticket holders watching the draft on the Jumbotron. All right, I made that up. They end up taking Josh Childress and his mushroom cloud 'fro. I was already on the fence about Childress, but Tirico just compared him to the other great California players in recent years ... then named the O'Bannon brothers and Jason Kapono. Bust alert! Bust alert!

8:11 -- Luol Deng goes seventh to the Suns, who are trading him to the Bulls right after the draft, but he has to wear a Suns hat for now. You figure it out. Another nice move by the Bulls: Two proven commodities now in Gordon and Deng. As far as GM's go, John Paxson has emerged as the Patrick Swayze to his brother's Don Swayze.

(Note: Deng's thumbnail sketch says he's fluent in Dinka, Arabic and English, plus he was "taught basketball by Manute Bol." I'm not sure what to do with this information.)

8:17 -- Wow! Toronto just took Rafael Aruojo eighth! Even I didn't like him that much, and I'm the one who once called him a "6-foot-11 Najera." Sadly, his interview doesn't come with subtitles.

8:23 -- Andre Igoudala goes ninth to Philly, then hugs someone wearing an African tribal gown in his entourage. That almost made up for the lack of ridiculous suits tonight. By the way, between Andre Igoudala and Luol Deng, my Dad has a "Whatever happened to the days of Joe Smith and Dale Ellis?" look on his face right now.

8:25 -- Stu takes one look at Andre's suit and says he's "rockin' the pinstripe." Boo yeah! On the bright side, that prompted my dad to say, "Who is this guy?" for the third time tonight.

8:29 -- The Cavs take Luke Jackson, who didn't bother coming to the draft. Andy Katz reports that Jackson "just felt more comfortable watching it at home." Oh. He promises to show up for the season though. Meanwhile, we're anxiously awaiting ESPN's thumbnail sketch for each pick, especially the "Favorite class" and "Must Improve" categories. It's not every day that you can find out things like "Shaun Livingston likes trigonometry." Too bad Jackson didn't get a "Must Improve: Giving a crap."

8:30 -- Dick Vitale uses the phrase "flat-out" three times in less than a minute, followed by an life-altering split-screen argument between Vitale and Stephen A. Smith. If you missed it, you can see a continuous replay of this moment on the new ESPN channel, ESPN 666.

8:35 -- At No. 11, the Warriors take the Latvian Guy -- no relation to the Russian Guy, the Other Russian Guy, The Serbian Guy, the Really Tall Korean Guy, the Slovenian Guy or the Spanish Guy. He immediately breaks into tears. That sets off a round of "Must Improve: Controlling Emotions" and "Must Improve: Hygiene" jokes. I'm telling you, there isn't a more underrated three hours than the NBA draft.

8:38 -- I can't even describe what just happened when Stu Scott interviewed the Latvian Guy, as the poor kid kept muttering "I play inside ... inside ... I play inside ... inside" over and over again. They should have brought the fainter from the Spelling Bee to collapse on him. And just when it couldn't get any better, we had the following exchange at the end:

Stu (throwing it back to Tirico): "They compare his personality on the court to Kenyon Martin. Don't front."

Dad (glancing around the room): "What does that mean? What did he just say?"

8:40 -- For the past two minutes, we just had my dad trying to guess what "Don't front" meant. If only there were cameras on hand. At one point, he asked, "How was it used again?", like it was the Spelling Bee or something. We kept waiting for him to ask for the country of origin.

Hey, Latvian Guy -- Aksahy Buddiga is on standby in the green room.
    8:43 -- Thank God ... the Sonics just took Robert Swift, the high school center who looks like a cross between Fred Weis and Eric Montross. Of course, the Celtics loved him. Talk about dodging a bullet. Any time someone is avoiding workouts, all-star games, even interviews ... is this ever a good sign? Now he gets to be tutored by the likes of Jerome James, Vitaly Potapenko and Cal Booth. Can somebody have "downside"?

8:45 -- My dad's take on Stephen A.: "I feel like I'm being yelled at."

8:46 -- Here's a doozy: Portland takes Sebastian Telfair and his 100-person entourage at No. 13. Unbelievable. Horrendous pick. I'm speechless. ESPN smartly cuts to Jameer Nelson, a mortal lock for the Jumaine Jones Memorial "Last Guy Left In The Green Room" Award.

8:56 -- With the Celtics on the clock, ESPN runs footage of the Johnson-Brown-Forte picks from 2001 just to torture me. Thanks, guys. You forgot to show Lenny Bias trying on the green Celtics hat. I feel sick.

8:57 -- Boston takes ... high schooler Al Jefferson. Good pick. Other than Kirk Snyder, he was the best guy on the board, and we didn't need Snyder. Dad and I exchange nods of approval. "I'm surprised he lasted this long" says Bilas, adding that he's "relentless" and has "upside." I think we're about two years away from somebody creating an NBA Draft Cliché Karaoke Machine.

8:59 -- Even as I'm typing Jacko's latest rant about Dick Vitale, my Page 2 editors are telepathically pressing the backspace on the computer so none of the letters are actually making it on the screen. This is amazing.

9:00 -- Seen on ESPN's 28/58 ticker: "Minnesota 37, San Antonio 25." I'll let you take one guess. Now we're waiting for them to show the results from our Golden Tee scores at the Baseball Tavern last night: "Simmons -7 ... House +24 ... Jacko +56."

9:02 -- Dad is delighted that Kirk Snyder's suit doesn't fit. "Look, it has five buttons!" he says excitedly. "I think he borrowed it from Okafor 20 minutes ago."

9:08 -- The Hawks take high schooler Josh Smith as Bilas rips the pick to shreds: "If you had to pick which guy was most likely to be a bust in the first round, it would be this guy. He has no right hand and he can't shoot." That's followed by poor Smith having to defend himself to Stu Scott, capped off by a phenomenal exchange:

Stu: "Your nickname is J-Smoove ... would you like to smoothly toss it back to Mike now?"

Josh Smith (monotone, deer in the headlights): "Hey Mike, back to you."

(That was the TiVo moment of the night. Hands down.)

9:10 -- Not only is Bilas now refusing to use verbs, my dad just called Al Jefferson "Al Harrington" for the third time tonight. Things are heating up.

9:11 -- Yet another classic moment: Vitale was zoning out, not realizing he was on camera until somebody alerted him, so he jolted upright and transformed into his "Dickie V." persona in about 0.0000003 seconds. That was amazing. Somebody must have accidentally unplugged him.

9:19 -- We're all starting to lose interest in the draft. Three high schoolers just went in a row, two of whom were named "Josh." Speaking just for myself, I have an actual opinion on 12 guys on this draft: Okafor and Gordon (future All-Stars); Deng (solid fifth wheel for a contender some day); Araujo (better version of Mark Madsen); Harris, Nelson and Childress (overrated); Delonte West (this year's "sleeper who will come back to haunt everyone"); Snyder, Igoudala and Tony Allen (8-man rotation guys); and Chris Duhon (he's not better than Kevin Ollie?). Other than that, it's that same useless feeling you get when you're watching the Oscars during categories like "Best Foreign Documentary" and "Best Makeup." Wake me up when I know someone.

9:23 -- Room service! Two chicken caesars, 1 fried calamari, 1 clam chowder, 1 cheeseburger, 1 chicken sandwich, 1 large bottle of sparkling water, 2 iced teas. Our total? $573.34.

Nelson is mad he fell to No. 20, but he's still a millionaire living in Orlando.
    9:26 -- Mmmmmmm ... $28 clam chowder ... mmmmmmm ...

9:28 -- Denver tabs Jameer Nelson as the crowd explodes. They already have Andre Miller and Earl Boykins, so he's obviously getting traded. Of course, four full minutes pass before someone (David Aldridge) mentions this possibility on the show. That prompts Jacko to say, "I think every draft, no matter what the sport, should have Mel Kiper Jr. in it." Me, too.

9:33 -- Utah takes 7-foot-5 Pavel Prdzswsbqzpdne, who stands up and immediately whiffs on two high-fives. Not a good start for the Pavel Era. Katz calls it a "safe pick." Of course, the USA Today's scouting report mentioned that Pavel "takes medication for a hormonal disorder related to pituitary gland." I don't know if "safe" was the best choice of words, not after the Gheorge Muresan Era and Giant Gonzalez's wrestling career. Jacko quickly jokes, "Must improve: Genetic deficiency."

9:35 -- Stu Scott interviews Pavel and his interpreter. Just to clear things up, Pavel does understand English ... he just can't understand Stu Scott. Seriously, I'm not fronting.

9:38 -- Picking for the Blazers, the Nets take Victor Khryapa, setting off a round of "Do you know his brother, Fulla?" and "How 'bout his cousin, Tayka?" jokes. I just wish Rick Pitino had the chance to take someone named "Khryapa." It would have been like two worlds colliding.

9:41 -- Picking again, the Blazers take Sergei Monia, who platooned with Khryapa on the CSKA Moscow team in Europe. Either that's one helluva platoon, or the Blazers just screwed up twice. I'm leaning towards the latter. Meanwhile, we just learned that Monia's favorite actor is Robert DeNiro. Tough blow to Yakov Smirnoff there. A wakeup call, really.

9:43 -- You know, if the Celtics don't take Delonte West with one of these next two picks, I'm driving to the FleetCenter with a bomb strapped to my chest. Just wanted to get that heard before the jury.

9:46 -- Yes! Boston takes Delonte West! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Something good happened! He's good! I know he's good! I watched him all year! He's a more unselfish version of Cuttino Mobley! I have an opinion! Woo-hoo! I have an opinion!

9:50 -- The C's follow with Tony Allen at No. 25. I'm torn. On the bright side, he can do everything Lindsay Hunter does, and Hunter was the third guard on two championship teams. On the flip side, the ESPN guys said Allen went to multiple junior colleges and had an "attitude problem" in the Chicago pre-draft camp. Red flags galore. I think my dad just threw up in his mouth.

9:53 -- Not only is Nelson headed to Orlando, but Utah trades Pavel to Dallas for a future first-rounder and the rights to Pavel's royalties from "My Giant 2."

(All right, I'll ask: What's the point of picking someone at No. 21, then trading him to a 50-win team that's about to get Shaq? So you can move backwards 8-to-10 spots in any of the next five drafts? Did Elgin Baylor consult them on this trade?)

9:58 -- Sacramento takes Kevin Martin at No. 26. "Never heard of this guy," dad hisses. He's tired and grumpy.

10:01 -- The Lakers take Sasha Vujacic, who pulled a Sam Dalembert -- sitting in the stands, then hopping onstage to shake hands with a surprised Stern. You can almost imagine Stern whispering, "Don't ever defy my instructions again, I will BREAK you." More importantly, can you imagine showing up in L.A. from Slovenia and becoming a multi-millionaire at the same time? Can't you see him dressing up like Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd in the "Wild and Crazy Guys" sketch?

10:04 -- Dad nods off again.

10:10 -- Indy wraps up the first round with seven-footer David Harrison. According to Bilas, "He has small hands and relatively short arms." Sounds like a winner.

Final reflections? Just some quickies. We heard the word "wingspan" more times than "upside" (7 to 6). We heard four new made-up draft terms: "ball-friendly," "logician," "explosion ability" and "blowbyablity." There were nearly as many high schoolers (8) and foreigners (9) taken as college players (12). Only three teams blatantly screwed up: The Clippers, Raptors and Blazers. Only one team dramatically improved (the Bulls). The Bobcats launched their franchise. My favorite sleeper actually ended up on the Celtics, which never happens. Best of all, I made up for last summer with my dad, even if it nearly bankrupted me in the process.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go wake him up.

Bill Simmons is a columnist foir Page 2 and ESPN the Magazine

[edit=24=1088571793][/edit]

Re: Must read. Page 2 Bill Simmons draft report

Comment

I read this a few days ago and found it entertaining. It's not his best but it's still good. I hope now that he's back on ESPN full time he'll return to forum. Or is Simmons' stuff something we've gotten jaded about? Sometimes I've read him over the last year or so and thought "Nice, but I've read this before". Maybe that's how I feel about this really, I dunno. Three years ago I couldn't wait for his new columns to get posted.
      Mickael Pietrus Le site officiel

Comment

Simmons always cracks me up.
        "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG" - Carol "The Walking Dead"

Comment

Working...
        X