Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wells: Pacers locker room atmosphere is great!

Default Mike Wells: Pacers locker room atmosphere is great!

Happy at last, Pacers grow up together

by Mike Wells
    Indy Star
    March 8, 2009

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...TS04/904080357

(Following is a few clips. Follow the ^^ link for the whole article)

The Indiana Pacers have endured their share of problems in a season that likely will end a week from today. One issue they haven't had, however, is poor team chemistry.

"This is the best locker room I've been in for the eight years I've been in the NBA," forward Troy Murphy said. "We really have a great group. When I first came here (January 2007), I don't think it was always that way, and last year it really wasn't toward the end. I'm happy to play with these guys and come work with them every day."

Pacers president Larry Bird spent a lot of time checking backgrounds on the seven players acquired last summer.

Several players credit Bird for changing the culture. Bird traded Jermaine O'Neal and Shawne Williams and told point guard Jamaal Tinsley to stay away from the team.

"We're all friends, and that's big," All-Star forward Danny Granger said. "We've had our differences here and there, but with any team or family, that will happen. I think overall, this is a better group (for chemistry)."

Getting along won't get the Pacers back to the playoffs, but it was the first of many steps.

-----
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mike Wells: Pacers locker room atmosphere is great!

It also has a summer breeze smell in it.

BTW, thanks for quoting me, Putty.

good job Bird
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Whatever you do, don't read the comments on the article.

Man, some of them make even the trolls here seem like basketball geniuses.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

True. It turns out that 95% of all NBA players actually AREN'T going to be in the payoffs. It's a lot less than that. I know; I did the math.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

That's a big reason why I gave up posting at the Star Bill. It's a wild west show of uninformed and unmoderated extremist reactionary BS. You might as well burn your hand on a hot stove and immediately declare that the world is on fire right before you torch your neighbor's house since it's going to burn anyway, and then not even get in trouble for that action later.

Sadly some really good posters and fans linger over there for god knows why.

Good to see Bird get some credit for his work this year. It should be another interesting summer.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    That's a big reason why I gave up posting at the Star Bill. It's a wild west show of uninformed and unmoderated extremist reactionary BS. You might as well burn your hand on a hot stove and immediately declare that the world is on fire right before you torch your neighbor's house since it's going to burn anyway, and then not even get in trouble for that action later.

Sadly some really good posters and fans linger over there for god knows why.
    There is your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

I was entertained reading those comments. I guess anyone can have internet access these days

We've gotten this exact same article for, what, 5 years now?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Or, alternatively, "Yeah, but this year it's true!"

We have? - articles that the locker room was good? I don't recall a one

Don't tell me you seriously think this locker room is the same as the last four. You can't be serious.

anthem is right in the sense that basically every year for the past few we have gotten rid of some various baggage --- harrington, artest, peja, sjax/harrington again, now JO/tinsley. I agree though this is probably the best lockerroom the squad has had in years.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Don't tell me you seriously think this locker room is the same as the last four. You can't be serious.
    The locker room is not the same, but it feels like we've been told that this locker room has been good for a while now.

Kinda like every year hearing how Jermaine's knee was alright... year after year.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I have no reason to doubt the article. This is a major, major step. It will also send a message to anyone coming in. I don't think Bird gets enough credit for this.

I think I've said this before, but the day they start handing out w's for guys liking each other I'll care.

Honestly fellas, win some games.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    We have? - articles that the locker room was good? I don't recall a one

I believe we would get that story at the start of the season. Maybe a few days into the preseason or a couple of games into the season. Then it always blew up.

This feels different because it seems to confirm what we see on the floor.

As for the idea that you can win with bad chemistry. It's fool's gold at best. You cannot have sustained winning with bad chemistry. The cancer will grow and tear the team apart. Sometimes you can have a glue guy that the various camps will respect and hold things together... for a while... but eventually nothing can keep bad chemistry from destroying a team. And fanbase if you let it.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

While I certainly can understand Anthems point of view on this I feel the need to add this.

This article being written by Wells instead of Montieth gives it a whole other level of credibility IMO. I'm sorry but I will always just consider Mark to be Donnies mouthpiece.

The fact that I feel like Wells has no vested interest in spouting team p.r. makes me take this type of article more serious.

While we may have had similar articles in the past, I agree with Bball though that it seems to me like we got these in the pre-season or just as the season began, I feel like this one actually means something.

Although Dece is right to, at the end of the day most fans really just care about wins.

But since we have had such a crap load of bad pr for years and years here this is ok for a change.

Also, not that I want to just agree with everybody but ABA day is absolutely correct in the fact that Bird is not being given enough credit for putting a stop the the nonsense.

The difference perhaps between the articles we get in the pre-season and this article does involve Wells In the past the article contained quotes from players who are trying to give it the best possible light. Preseason is at the start of the season - the last thing you want to do is be negative. But this is at the end of the season a season that will not bring the playoffs, so there is less incentive to be Mr. Sunshine.

This report is much more credible - without question IMO. Plus it is what we have heard all season long from Quinn, Boyle, Slick who are all very close to the team but oftenhave to be careful what they say.

Beyond all that however, it just makes sense that without JT and JO it would be much better

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

Beyond all that however, it just makes sense that without JT and JO [chemistry] would be much better
    Don't mind me... I'm just waiting for Anthem...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

This is good to hear, but how important is it to you as fans for the teammates to be friends too? Personally, I'm not too concerned about whether or not they hang out after practice, I would rather see them win games. I don't believe that getting along and getting wins are always related. For exapmle, Kobe had a lot of negative things to say about his teammates before the start of last season and they still made it to finals.

I'm not trying to discredit Bird, it's great that he was able to put together a team of good citizens. I just don't think this articel is something to get too excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Don't mind me... I'm just waiting for Anthem...
    Hey, I'm happy about having a great locker room atmosphere. I don't disagree, for the most part, with what's already been said. The guys are rooting for each other and playing hard, and even though the wins haven't come through it seems like spirits are up.

But if the season was another month longer I think we'd have at least one more "this team is mad at each other" week like we had around the new year. It's funny that the team really has been getting along well right when they were eliminated from the playoffs. And I'm not particularly excited that Troy says it's a great locker room, seeing as he's been in dysfunctional ones his entire career. And, like everyone else has said, what I want from the team is some wins. I don't want them to like each other and be happy about losing.

But none of that should detract from my first paragraph. I'm excited and feel like the team is moving forward. I'm glad the team seems to feel the same way.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Who knows what Tinsley and Williams discussed in the locker room?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Oddly enough, I think the chemistry is more important when you have a year like ours.

With good locker room chemistry, the guys support each other and try to find a way to get through it together.

With bad chemistry, the fingers start pointing and everyone tries to make it better for themselves so they can get out.

Which one of these two leads to improvement the next game?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh