Thread: How do you know your Pacers?

Default How do you know your Pacers?

Just wondering...How were you first introduced/first became a fan of/realized the Pacers existed? In other words, why did you become a fan or what are your earliest memories of the Pacers?

I didn't know who Reggie Miller was until I was watching the news one day and some guy's house had been on fire. They had a helicopter circling his burnt-down house or something. I was like,"Who is 'Reggie Miller' and why do we care if his house burned down?"

One day at school, after the Pacers lost a game, a friend of mine asked if I had seen the Pacers lose a tough game last night and I said,"The Pacers suck," not even knowing what the heck 'The Pacers' were. He then explained to me that the Pacers were awesome and that Reggie Miller was the best player and he was offended that I said the Pacers sucked, when I didn't even know what they were.

How boutchu guys?

Mood

Default Re: How do you know your Pacers?

Wrong Forum-- moving to Pacers

Mood

One day at school, after the Pacers lost a game, a friend of mine asked if I had seen the Pacers lose a tough game last night and I said,"The Pacers suck," not even knowing what the heck 'The Pacers' were.
    Thank you for reminding me why I hate(d) most kids/teens

Sports Logo

I had been aware that there was a team in Indy called the Pacers but that was it. Happened to be in Indy on a game night and watched them play on the TV in a bar, Reggie had one of his "Miller times" and I was hooked.

Mood

I had known of them since the mid 90's -- watched some games every now and again but purely for something to do. Played some video games of the NBA for amusement and sometimes played the Pacers, but didn't really have a deep appreciation for it or anything; purely casual interest.

Grew up appreciating/liking bball, but never took it further.

Then in '98, I watched them in the playoffs a little bit. One of my first memories of being impressed with them was seeing the end of that Knick game where they made a nice pass around the perimeter to an open Reggie to hit a 3 that I believe led to overtime, where the Pacers won.

But that wasn't it. It was when I heard our local team was going up against THE Chicago Bulls lead by JORDAN (As a kid you always knew who Jordan and the Bulls were), I knew I HAD to check that out. So I made a point of watching all of that series. After the Pacers' terrific home game wins against the Bulls, I was officially hooked. Watched in pain as they narrowly lost to the Bulls in game 7, and remembered to check them out starting in the preseason of the '99 lockout year.

Heck, I was so hooked that when I watched some IU games when the NBA was still locked out and saw fans holding signs like "Who needs the NBA?" I kept thinking "I do!".

Anyway, starting with that playoff series and into the '99 season, I watched nearly every game, skipping them occasionally during the regular season as they played nearly the same game every time

Then of course watched all of the playoffs and enjoyed their two runs deep into the tourney. Then during the first month or two of the 2000-2001 season, I discovered a forum. Of course that was the Indy Star Pacers Board.

That place is what made me a hardcore, die-hard fan. The rest is history from there. Learned a lot, become much more knowledgeable, developed a since of community, and eventually was able to provide a better place for that community to live I'm proud to say.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When I was young, we would sometimes go to Cincy to see the Royals play.

Later when I was a freshman in high school, there were rumors of a possible new pro league. Soon after, it was announced that there was to be a new league, and that a team would be located in Indy. I was on board from that time forward.... even before the first Pacer player was announced.

Mood

I'm a life long pacer fan (which isn't saying much because i'm only fifteen) but i really became hooked during the eastern conference finals with new york and then chicago. my entire room is pacers. I love them

Like beast, I was around from the beginning. Saw so many games at the Fairgrounds growing up. Actually saw a 171-145 game against the Los Angeles Stars. I THINK it was before they moved to Utah. Anyway, it was a loooonnnnnggggggg game. Pacers made 60-70 free throws I think and the Stars hit something like 45-60. I don't know how there could have been any players left. Also remember listening to a game on the radio when they score 172 against the Pittsburgh Condors.

As silly as it may sound, I'm not sure what I would have done without the Pacers growing up.

Hey beast! Is the story true that Pacer scouts were on the way to Cincinnati to talk to Oscar Robertson and took a wrong turn and ended up in Dayton and decided to sign Roger Brown?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Southside_Pacer

I really got involved when the Pacers won the playoff series down in Orlando with the Byron Scott shot. Over the years as we had our playoff series games I got more and more involved.

I remember turning off the game against New York a little bit before Reggie made those two threes in the final seconds.. My mom came and told me that the Pacers did win that game and I thought she was just pulling my leg. When I found out she wasn't lying I've been a die hard ever since because of Mr. Reggie Miller and his playoff magic.

Hey beast! Is the story true that Pacer scouts were on the way to Cincinnati to talk to Oscar Robertson and took a wrong turn and ended up in Dayton and decided to sign Roger Brown?
    I'd never heard that one. That would be too funny. But even if they had talked to Oscar, there was no way he ever would have returned to play ball in Indy.

PHJIndy

October, 1967, Fairgrounds Coliseum vs. Kentucky Colonels.

btw, the Big "O" recommended the Pacers take a look at Roger Brown.

I remember turning off the game against New York a little bit before Reggie made those two threes in the final seconds.. My mom came and told me that the Pacers did win that game and I thought she was just pulling my leg. When I found out she wasn't lying I've been a die hard ever since because of Mr. Reggie Miller and his playoff magic.
    Boy do I remember that game. My daughter and I had gone to pick up our son from WashU in St Louis. My son, having given up on the game, was busy loading up stuff to take home in our van. In the dorm rec room, it was my daughter and I representing the Pacers, and a whole room full (8 or so) of east coast kids rooting for the Knicks.

We had to endure all the trash leading up to Reggie's heroics without being able to say much of anything. A couple of them were saying things like "We feel so sorry for you we'll help you load up" etc. etc.

Reggie hits the shots, the Pacers win, and my daughter and I aren't saying a word. Just grinning ear-to-ear. The Knicks fans are not saying a word... just sitting in total shock. I get up walk to the door, clear my throat and say one word. "Scoreboard". Then added "By the way. Didn't someone way something about helping to load up a van?"

My story is a bit different from anyone elses

I was 7 years old on vacation visiting my uncle in layfayette, IN

I got really, really sick and could not leave the couch

So I was watching TV and a Pacers game was on

I watched Reggie light it up, and I was hooked

Been a die-hard fan ever since

I grew up in Indy, but no one in my family, and I am the youngest of 5 kids, were Pacers fans. None of my friends were Pacers fans. Heck there weren't that many Pacers fans anywhere.

But I was exposed to NFL Football, Indy 500, Cincy Reds baseball, IU football and IU basketball at a younger age, so when I was really young I was more of a fan of all those sports. I would occasionally watch the NBA finals at 11:30 PM tape delayed and I did enjoy it.

But I went to a Pacers game when I was 8, maybe 9 years old and I loved it, I said this is the team for me, this is the sport for me. My family and friends thought I was crazy, listening to every game the way I did. I roomed with my brother from 1st through 4th grade and would listen to every game on the radio, Bob Lamey, but I had to hold the radio up to my ear because my brother did not want to hear it and I was supposed to be asleep.

Every year I became more and more a Pacer fan and NBA fan and less a fan of other sports to the point now where I never watch other sports, I saw one play of the Super Bowl tonight and it was the winning FG

Sorry I am going on and on about this.

I am sure no one is reading this post at this point.

Until 1987, I had probably been to 5 or 6 games my whole life, but when I went to my first ever playoff game in 1987 against the Hawks that sealed the deal for me, I have been a nut ever since, I have been to every home playoff game since.

There are a few of us here who remember the Pacers-Kentucky Colonel rivalry. It was every bit as fierce as the old Pacer-Knick rivalry. God - I miss that rivalry. I wish the Colonels had come into the league too.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

The Indystar Newspaper.

They delivered it to my school for free, and I used to get a paper every day at lunch. I know it sounds stupid, but it was a new experience at age 14 to experience a game at night and then read about it in the paper the next morning. I followed everything through the paper, that's how I got hooked on the Pacers.

So despite how far I've come, the fact remains that I began as an Indystar man. Shows there's hope for anyone (except D.Whitely and Superfly).
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

When my family moved to the Indianapolis area around 1987-88, my dad started taking me to local pro sports games - Colts, Pacers, Indians. The team/sport that got me the most excited was the Pacers in MSA, just because of the speed, energy and athleticism - plus you could see the guys' faces and read their emotions/body language during the game (unlike football), which made everything seem that much more dramatic and real.

A couple of years later (1991-1992), during my senior year of high school, I became the editor of the school paper. On three or four occasions our school choir, color guard or band would get to perform at MSA for the national anthem or a halftime skit. The school paper was always asked to go take a picture, but nobody ever wanted to go to the game except for me. So I'd get a free ticket and a press pass (the same pass that all the other photographers got), take the obligatory national anthem picture or whatever, and sit on the floor for the rest of the game.

On one of these occasions we were playing the Knicks, and I was sitting pretty much right under one of the baskets, taking pictures and taking it all in. On one particular play, Patrick Ewing drove to the basket, got fouled, and literally landed right on top of me. He just about tore my head off, but it was pretty funny. From that point on I was a fan...

I was finally "hooked for good" after watching the 1994 playoffs on a really crappy TV in my first apartment. That series made me a fan for life...

Reggie Miller. 8 points. 8 seconds. Until then I merely had a passing interest in the Pacers. But those 8 seconds made me a fan of the game of basketball itself.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

My Dad was a fan from the ABA days. When my Mom was in labor with me, Dad wasn't allowed in the delivery room so he sat in the waiting room at St. Francis and listened to Jerry Baker call an ABA preseason game on the radio. One great thing about an October birthday was that my presents consisted of Legos (of course) and my pick of a few Pacers tickets every season.

I think my first in-person game was when the Pacers played the defending champion Portland TrailBlazers featuring a certain freaky, red-headed center.

We listed to WIBC/ Bob Lamey religiously at our house (even though he isn't/ wasn't very good). We even tried to stay fans during "the lean years" but it wasn't easy. Once, we went to Oscar Hotdog night - you got a free ticket if you had mustard on your tie - and watched the Pacers get hammered by the second-worst team in the league (Cleveland).

Chuck Person, Jack Ramsay, Donnie Walsh and John Long re-vitalized our interest in the Pacers in 1986, and I've been fanatical ever since. Like UB, I really got hooked on the 1987 playoff series, and I still rank the 1991 playoff series with Boston equally with the NBA Finals appearance as my favorite Pacers memories.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I was 8. My much-older brother (then 21) told me that his wife's church was sponsoring a trip to a Pacer's game for kids. He told me that if I wanted to go, there was probably an extra ticket.

I went.

the rest, as they say, is history.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)