Thread: 5.1: The Jon Bender Thread

Default 5.1: The Jon Bender Thread

Nothing really to add. Just wanted to have a place to discuss Bender over the next few games.

He's shown flashes so far, but just flashes. Is it rust?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

Default Re: 5.1: The Jon Bender Thread

I liked that he went into the paint more than he did in years past.

Mood

If Bender ever breaks out I'm calling him dts

If Bender ever breaks out I'm calling him dts
    THX would be better. Or just "Dolby." Or is that a trademark?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Well, he can still swoop to the basket - and look great doing it. And he can still hit the OPEN 3. I've never seen him hit contested 3's with any consistency.

The one ray of hope is that I did notice him setting up a lot deeper than he used to. But he didn't fight for position very well there - something he needs to learn. And he can still block shots from the weak side.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Bender cannot hit shots in traffic. If he gets bumped or off balance he misses. His center of gravity is too high

Anthem

Why are you calling him 5.1 (or using it in reference to him)

I think I missed something

Tim

Bender said his game is like surround sound, so Rojo now calls him 5.1.

So long as he remains aggressive in everything he does. I want him so aggressive he almost fouls out every game he plays.

The second he starts getting passive sits his butt and give the minutes back to Austin.

LOL

Nice... most people compare their games to previous players or vicious animals

Bender chooses to compare his to audio technology

LOL

Nice... most people compare their games to previous players or vicious animals

Bender chooses to compare his to audio technology
    SNIP. New Sig.

Enjoy your time at PD!

lol

I am flattered

The glaring weaknesses I see in "The Difference" are his ballhandling skills, and decisions in high pressure situations. He often simply loses the ball out of bounds or to a defender because the ball bounces off his leg. As was shown in an ECF game, he was trapped at halfcourt and then threw the ball away to Richard Hamilton. He may have other weaknesses, but right now, that's all that I can come up with.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bender cannot hit shots in traffic. If he gets bumped or off balance he misses. His center of gravity is too high
    yep that's something I noticed also , I can't count how many times Bender went to drive the lane and get's bumped and out pops the ball.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: well

yep that's something I noticed also , I can't count how many times Bender went to drive the lane and get's bumped and out pops the ball.
    Lets see what another 15lbs of muscle does to help that/
    Okay, we'll all check back on this thread in 2026 to see if he ever gained that 15 lbs. of muscle.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

As I've said before, he can't be 5.1, only 5, 'cause he has no base. Fundementals, that is.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: well

Lets see what another 15lbs of muscle does to help that/
    Another 15 pounds of muscle would help, but might not make a lot of difference.

IMO, Bender has two problems.

1. He just doesn't have a decent base (butt and legs) to physically establish position on the interior, either for posting up or rebounding.

2. His hands are small (and possibly weak)... His ball skills are not bad for a 7 footer; he just doesn't seem to have the hand strength to hang on the the ball in traffic.

Banned

Bender = very weak.

Bender= WASTE OF TIME.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

sweabs

I think I'll give Bender one more year before I throw in the towel.

Sounds good to me. It's hard to give up on somebody after they only played in 21 games.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

I was very encouraged by Bender's improvement on defense in his limited time this season.

I have been very critical of him in the past, and he does seem to have a low b'ball IQ. In 2002-2003 he could not defend a wet paper bag. I have nightmares of the 1st round playoff exit vs. Boston where Isiah put him into the game on Antoine Walker. Walker is allergic to the post and can't jump for squat. He backed JB down and dunked on him. Twice in a row, I think.

It was a glimmer of hope to see him guard reasonably well players as different and as talanted as Paul Pierce and Ben Wallace this postseason.

I don't see him as an impact starter in the foreseeable future, but I could he him as a solid backup for Ron or for Al, if and when one of them is sent packing to land a starting SG or a C. The 6th man role might suit him well.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sounds good to me. It's hard to give up on somebody after they only played in 21 games.
    Well, it's easy to give up on them if 21 is the most he can get...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Man, this is an old thread. How'd this get bumped?

Enjoy your time at PD!

If he can't be healthy enough to play in more than 21 again this season, then I think he'll fall into the category of chronically injured players [see]
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

If he can't be healthy enough to play in more than 21 again this season, then I think he'll fall into the category of chronically injured players [see]
    Somehow, it wouldn't surprise me if that happened.