Thread: Cavs release Eric Snow

Default Cavs release Eric Snow

http://www.justnews.com/nba/19099246/detail.html

Cavs Release Veteran G Snow

POSTED: Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cleveland, OH -- (Sports Network) - The Cleveland Cavaliers released veteran guard Eric Snow for medical purposes, the club announced on Sunday.

"We appreciate all that Eric has done for the Cavaliers both on the basketball court and in the community," Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry said. "Eric is a tremendous competitor. He had a very successful playing career and I look forward to watching his broadcasting and coaching careers unfold."

The 13-year veteran suffered a left knee injury just before the start of the 2007-08 season and was limited to only 22 games that year. He has not appeared in a contest this season, but had remained on the roster.

Snow, a second-round selection by Milwaukee in the 1995 NBA Draft, averaged 4.0 points, 3.9 assists and 2.1 rebounds in 267 games, including 147 starts in four seasons with the Cavaliers.

For his career, the Michigan State product averaged 6.8 points, 5.0 assists and 2.5 rebounds in 846 games with Seattle, Philadelphia and Cleveland.

"It was a great privilege and dream come true, not just to play for my hometown team, but to finish my career in front of the fans who have given me so much support throughout my career," Snow said. "I loved the role offered to me of being a veteran the younger players could rely on, as the organization was rebuilding this franchise into a winner. The Cavaliers have done it the right way and I am proud to be a part of a new and re-energized winning tradition."

Snow, a native of Canton, Ohio, helped the Cavs to their first trip to the NBA Finals in his final full season of 2006-07.

Copyright 2009 Courtesy of The Sports Network.

Default Re: Cavs release Eric Snow

He was like a Bruce Bowen of point guards. I remember how great of a defender he was a couple years ago. Hopefully he can get into coaching, I think he'd be good at that.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

you would think they would let him stay on the roster and possibly win a ring this year.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you would think they would let him stay on the roster and possibly win a ring this year.
    They are only doing this because the NBA has accepted to let them not have to pay his whole contract this season. It's just to save money.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Not when you can save $14.6 million (counting luxury tax) by cutting him.

And a team can give anyone a ring. The Pistons gave a fan a ring when they won it. The Colts gave Edgerrin James a ring. I'm sure Snow will get one should the Cavs win it all.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Oh, haha, Didn't realize they got out of paying him.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Not when you can save $14.6 million (counting luxury tax) by cutting him.

And a team can give anyone a ring. The Pistons gave a fan a ring when they won it. The Colts gave Edgerrin James a ring. I'm sure Snow will get one should the Cavs win it all.
    The money's guaranteed. He's going to get it anyway. If it were a medical retirement, it might come off the cap, saving them the tax, and insurance might pick up most of the pay, but by cutting him, I think they hurt themselves there.

They might be saving some incentive or playoff pay, but unless I'm missing something big, they aren't saving anything approaching $14.6mm (which, I'm assuming you're getting by taking the $7.3 and doubling it for luxury tax.

Even if it wasn't guaranteed, Cleveland would only save 6 games worth of the contract.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember him and AI playing together in Philly, after he left there he slowly wasted away.

I always liked Snow ever since his college days. He was never going to be much more than a back up point guard. You never heard him complain and he hustled and played good d. I wish the pacers would have picked him up a few years ago. Oh well, I think he could be a solid coach someday.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

I didn't realise he was still playing.. he really disappeared in these last few seasons.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indricity View Post
    I didn't realise he was still playing.. he really disappeared in these last few seasons.
    He's been under contract for the Cavs but he hasn't played since late 2007, IIRC. He's been covering games for NBATV all season.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!