Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 players in Sunday's game @ Thunder

Default Re: Top 3 players in Sunday's game @ Thunder

Some perspective on this, at least from my point of view.

The main reason we started merging threads together this season is pretty simple.

This was rapidly becoming the Anti-O'Brien Digest and by about a month and a half into the season (I think don't hold me to that date) we just kind of started pushing all of those threads together.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with being Anti-O'Brien but it was taking over every thread in almost every way. Game threads, post game threads, trade threads, etc., etc.

Of course with the anti-O.B. people posting then out came the pro O.B. people (very few mind you but still).

Then we had one poster who was just starting thread after thread after thread about trades and player on other teams that we really needed to get, but all the while he was doing (you guessed it) taking shots at O'Brien.

As I said, from my perspective at least I don't speak for the admin. group on this, there is nothing wrong with having anti o.b. thoughts (God knows I've had plenty) however it was just taking over.

So while we did seem to stop, or at least slow down this problem, we have (again IMO only here) somewhat created another problem. We now have to many threads be merged even if there is something unique to say in each thread.

Somehow we need to strike a balance in this. Which franky is hard to do when you have so many posters.

At the end of the day I don't think there is ever going to be a "rule" about this. We are going to have to rely on judgement, which as you know is always up for question.

Example.

I found nothing wrong with this thread, in fact I thought that a couple of poster crossed the line in questioning why the O.P. started a new thread. He is new here and we come swooping in on him like that? I can't think that would make him or anyone else for that matter comfortable in posting in the future.

Also there is no designation as to who can post what. To the best of my knowledge there is only one official anything and that is BostonConnection does the game threads. Other than that the is no official post game thread starter, game ball starter, three player ball starter, whatever.

So to TroyMurphy3, welcome aboard. Your post was not out of line at all and I look forward to reading your thoughts on other topics as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The main reason we started merging threads together this season is pretty simple.

This was rapidly becoming the Anti-O'Brien Digest and by about a month and a half into the season (I think don't hold me to that date) we just kind of started pushing all of those threads together.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with being Anti-O'Brien but it was taking over every thread in almost every way. Game threads, post game threads, trade threads, etc., etc.

Of course with the anti-O.B. people posting then out came the pro O.B. people (very few mind you but still).

Then we had one poster who was just starting thread after thread after thread about trades and player on other teams that we really needed to get, but all the while he was doing (you guessed it) taking shots at O'Brien.

As I said, from my perspective at least I don't speak for the admin. group on this, there is nothing wrong with having anti o.b. thoughts (God knows I've had plenty) however it was just taking over.

So while we did seem to stop, or at least slow down this problem,

Frankly, if you merged the threads for any other reason except to make the forum more manageable and leave room for the other topics then I think you were fooling yourselves to think the merging had any more than a minimal impact on the anti-OB threads and comments.

I think 3 things had more impact (screw it... thanks Jay!):

1. Everyone had spoken their piece and everyone knew where the lines were.

2. The team started winning more.

3. It was clear O'Brien was going nowhere (Bird said as much) and the team continued playing hard for O'Brien.

Had none of that happened, merging anti O'Brien threads would've been little more than a game of Whack-a-Mole.

we have (again IMO only here) somewhat created another problem. We now have to many threads be merged even if there is something unique to say in each thread.

Somehow we need to strike a balance in this. Which franky is hard to do when you have so many posters.

At the end of the day I don't think there is ever going to be a "rule" about this. We are going to have to rely on judgement, which as you know is always up for question.
    Usually a topic dominates a forum because that topic is what is on the mind of the forumites. If you automatically merge threads because they are similarly themed then you do end up creating some issues and friction. Possibly make a bad situation worse. I said 'usually' because there is always the wildcard where one poster goes on an agenda and starts multiple posts to say the same thing, dominates the new posts, and drives multiple threads to go in that direction, etc. But IMHO that situation is handled best by a surgical strike on that poster.

Example.

I found nothing wrong with this thread, in fact I thought that a couple of poster crossed the line in questioning why the O.P. started a new thread. He is new here and we come swooping in on him like that? I can't think that would make him or anyone else for that matter comfortable in posting the future.

Also there is no designation as to who can post what. To the best of my knowledge there is only one official anything and that is BostonConnection does the game threads. Other than that the is no official post game thread starter, game ball starter, three player ball starter, whatever.

So to TroyMurphy3, welcome aboard. Your post was not out of line at all and I look forward to reading your thoughts on other topics as well.
    You are right. Ultimately it is a judgment call for the admins. Charge or block?

I don't really have a problem with posts like Dukie's Game Ball or TroyMurphy3's 3 players of the game (although I do wonder if Murphy changes his number to 10 if we'd get the 10 players of the game! )

I suppose if I did have a criticism it would be that I'd like them to post more thoughts about the player(s) in question and spur more debate. Show us more than stats how you picked each player. But to each his own on that.

That all said... I could see an issue if a lot of posters decided to do similar things. But that is a problem to be addressed when it's a problem (or starting to become one). I'd say we're far from that. The reason it would be a problem is because the nature of the software would have other threads/topics driven off the front page where they are likely to get the most views.

Afterall, a forum is all about discussions. It needs thread starters to spur those discussions.

But what do I know... I don't think I've started over 5 threads in the basketball forum in over a year- An end of the year post last season, a couple of photo threads with pics from games, and the Jamaal Tinsley April Fools post.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

So while we did seem to stop, or at least slow down this problem, we have (again IMO only here) somewhat created another problem. We now have to many threads be merged even if there is something unique to say in each thread.

Example.

I found nothing wrong with this thread, in fact I thought that a couple of poster crossed the line in questioning why the O.P. started a new thread. He is new here and we come swooping in on him like that? I can't think that would make him or anyone else for that matter comfortable in posting the future.

Since I was the first to question why TroyMurphy3 would start this thread, I guess I'll be to first to apologize to him. Sorry about that bud! I should have known you're new here and that's no way to welcome someone aboard.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I read this forum all the time and I think Indy said it best. It's getting stupid how many non-admins tell people what to post or what not to post. I don't get that. Sometimes that makes people less likely to post when you have 10 forum "cops" who aren't admins.

Let the admins do their jobs.

I want to read about the game and the players of the game and yet I get 20 posts telling this guy how he should post.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was just stating my opionon. I will hold that with Pacer's relations instead of forum relations. I guess have three post game threads would be more positive than anything. Sorry if I hindered your passion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    As a member here, I'm beginning to get a little tired of seeing people other than mods commenting on whether or not someone should start a thread. It's not like he's stating some absurd thing.
    Pot meet kettle. Does this apply to posters who throw out the don't feed the trolls posts?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I feel it repetitive since I do the Game Ball. I mean, it's kind of my thing.

But if TroyMurphy3 wants to do it, I suppose I can quit.
    I'll stop doing it. You've been doing the Game Ball longer than I've been doing the top 3 players

Why don't you guys do a post-game awards thread together?!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I won't post threads as much anymore and I won't post the top 3 players anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    Why don't you guys do a post-game awards thread together?!
    If duke wants to I'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    I won't post threads as much anymore and I won't post the top 3 players anymore.

Seriously, keep posting as much as you want. I think only one person had a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peskoe97 View Post
    Seriously, keep posting as much as you want. I think only one person had a problem with it.
    I'll try and think of another game thread to post. Something similar to the top 3 players of the game are taken.

Considering your forum name- How about "Troy Murphy's Play of the Game"?

I'm only half-joking... Lately Troy has made several huge plays. IF we would've ended up beating the Spurs who could discount Troy's role in that for example? The question is, which 4th qtr 3 or rebound would you choose?

But I digress.... I can't believe there isn't some answer here to make everyone happy. I don't even see the real problem in the first place with Dukie's Game Ball and TM3's top 3 players of the game.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Considering your forum name- How about "Troy Murphy's Play of the Game"?

I'm only half-joking... Lately Troy has made several huge plays. IF we would've ended up beating the Spurs who could discount Troy's role in that for example? The question is, which 4th qtr 3 or rebound would you choose?

But I digress.... I can't believe there isn't some answer here to make everyone happy. I don't even see the real problem in the first place with Dukie's Game Ball and TM3's top 3 players of the game.
    That's not too bad of an idea. I'll consider it.

Do what you want to do, however I feel it would be a mistake to not post your top 3 players of the game. Other posters can post game balls, beer cups, whistles, etc., etc.

I'll say it again,THERE IS NO OFFICIAL PERSON DESIGNATED TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN BOSTONCONNECTION AND THE GAME THREAD.

Just because one person is giving a game ball makes it no more official than you giving a top 3. It is just an opinion, not an actual award handed out by the NBA or anything.

Do what you want to do, however I feel it would be a mistake to not post your top 3 players of the game. Other posters can post game balls, beer cups, whistles, etc., etc.

I'll say it again,THERE IS NO OFFICIAL PERSON DESIGNATED TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN BOSTONCONNECTION AND THE GAME THREAD.

Just because one person is giving a game ball makes it no more official than you giving a top 3. It is just an opinion, not an actual award handed out by the NBA or anything.
    Alright I'll continue to do it. If people don't like it they don't have to read it

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Since I was the first to question why TroyMurphy3 would start this thread, I guess I'll be to first to apologize to him. Sorry about that bud! I should have known you're new here and that's no way to welcome someone aboard.
    It's all good bro.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

David Stern gave me a certificate with a gold star on it.

Mood

I have no opposition to this thread by any means. Who knows, maybe our choices will be different someday!

I actually PMed TroyMurphy3. I want us to collaborate. It would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I have no opposition to this thread by any means. Who knows, maybe our choices will be different someday!

I actually PMed TroyMurphy3. I want us to collaborate. It would be a good idea.
    It's all good with me duke.

TM3, i hope you continue your top three. I kind of enjoy reading it - its nice for someone who might not get to watch the game just to see who did what without actually looking up the stats.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    TM3, i hope you continue your top three. I kind of enjoy reading it - its nice for someone who might not get to watch the game just to see who did what without actually looking up the stats.
    Thanks. I enjoy posting player game updates from the game. I might do something else like the best play of the game.

Thanks. I enjoy posting player game updates from the game. I might do something else like the best play of the game.
    You could highlight any number of contenders for play of the game, talk a little about each, and then select the ultimate play of the game and why you feel it was a turning point.

That would give someone like Kaufman, who might've missed the game, a nice feel for how things went without trying to decipher it from a box score. And realistically, a 3rd string player like Diener might hit 1 lone shot, but that 1 basket could be huge, lead to a momentum shift, and yet in the boxscore it would look mighty insignificant.

I think this, or something similar, could dovetail with what Dukie is doing and make for a nice PD feature.

-Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 04-06-2009 at 10:27 PM.

------

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    You could highlight any number of contenders for play of the game, talk a little about each, and then select the ultimate play of the game and why you feel it was a turning point.

That would give someone like Kaufman, who might've missed the game, a nice feel for how things went without trying to decipher it from a box score. And realistically, a 3rd string player like Diener might hit 1 lone shot, but that 1 basket could be huge, lead to a momentum shift, and yet in the boxscore it would look mighty insignificant.

I think this, or something similar, could dovetail with what Dukie is doing and make for a nice PD feature.

-Bball
    We've been talking about things like this. I love the ideas. I'm really looking forward to working with Mr. Murph.

Alright I'll continue to do it. If people don't like it they don't have to read it

My official position on this subject is hellz yeah! Never worry about what anyone says about your posting habits, unless it is an admin. You've got just as much right as anyone else here to post what you want.

I would love to see something along the lines of what Bball came up with. We all know there are certain plays that are momentum changers, or difference makers. To discuss those and be able to share what you saw would spark quite a bit of discussion, in my opinion...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER