Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46

Thread: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

  1. #26

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    thank you quick release

  2. #27

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    ok i get it bball. now i understand. thank you for telling me

  3. #28
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,886
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Yo Rock(s)!

    I like the hype. KStat is a Pistons fan. That should clear a few things up immediately. He is sour that the Pistons are dropping faster than Carmen Electra's thong on the set of playboy.

    You are just like Brandon Rush. The tools and dedication are there... but we all must continue to develop our play/fanhood. I would hate for you to be discouraged from refining your fanhood here. Keep it up.

  4. #29
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Well I was one of the biggest Rush fans coming out of the draft last year and was thrilled to see him join the team. He's had some nice offensive games lately and has been pretty solid on the defensive end all year.

    However...

    I'm totally with KStat on this one. Look, step 1 in all professional/public writing is that you must be prepared for hardcore criticism, and not just of the grammar and phrasing. What you have to say is just as important as how you say it. This doesn't you must toe the line of what others say, and in fact you probably want to avoid that. But saying something CONTRADICTORY is not the same as saying something NEW, despite what Bob Kravitz thinks.

    The farther you go against the norm the more your audience will expect you to make strong arguments backed with plenty of well-structured facts and/or sources. It's fine to make a case that no one currently believes, but you don't get a free pass to make that case simply by really, really believing it yourself.

    Secondly, hyperbole (exaggeration for effect) is a pretty poor writing tool most of the time. You should be able to make a sound argument that doesn't amplify either the high or low end of the point in order to do so. The case itself should be the "hype", so that the reader falls naturally into line with what you think.

    Rather than start off with "he's the greatest" you should lead the reader into that thinking with the points that make you feel that way, all while not yet admitting this is how you feel. If you don't think those points are enough to make that point on their own then it's time for you to rethink your own view on the subject rather than flipping to "you just don't get it" mode.

    Finally, this type of hyperbole and some of the structure you used comes off as both youthful and "bloggish". Again hyperbole plays into this, as does the general balance of opinion vs fact and adjectives/adverbs vs nouns/verbs. "He killed the man in cold blood" has much more impact than "He was a really big, strong guy that was super powerful and was so tough and could lift a lot".


    This is a forum, so certainly all opinions are welcome. But when you take that next step and submit a written work for evaluation you must realize that this doesn't entitle you to praise only. In fact it would be pretty disingenuous of all of us if we simply said "hey, it's pro-Pacers, it's great".

    If anything I think a poster like Kstat acts as a PD ombudsman, and that's a good thing.

  5. #30
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by rocksballer58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hey kstat and bball,

    if you gonna stay this nonsense bull crap, i dont even think you guys are pacers fans at all
    Haven't been here long huh?

  6. #31

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    no i havent

  7. #32
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Originally Posted by rocksballer58 View Post
    hey kstat and bball,

    if you gonna stay this nonsense bull crap, i dont even think you guys are pacers fans at all


    what does "if you gonna stay this nonsense bull crap" even mean?
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  8. #33
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    I mean whose that guy that loved jasikevicius? Is this him?
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  9. #34
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Is Seth hating on adverbs and adjectives? I won't be having any of that.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  10. #35
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Welcome rocksballer58.

  11. #36
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    I would have started like this though...




    The Pedigree is there, at least on a team level. Tonight’s game that has the Spartans and Tar Heels fight for a decade of College Basketball supremecy makes me think back to a year ago when Brandon Rush was about to take the court on the biggest moment of his basketball life. His team won then and he put them first, but that can mask things on an individual level. Good and bad.


    I would guess now, 76 games into a professional career on a team with losing record seems like a lifetime ago for the youngest Rush brother. Not just the physical wear and tear a Rookie gets by playing the equivalent of two college seasons, but the mental drain of losing and insecurities of finding your way on and off the court. 365 days he’s reached the mountain top and is close to cleaning out his locker to reflect on a roller coaster of a first year. He has, however, set the foundation.


    Maybe in the cold winter when he watched journeyman Stephen Graham play in his place while he sat on the end of the bench for the first time since, well, ever, things were not yet in focus. Maybe it was then that the whispers of doubt could have crept in, if he even belonged at all. He had to realize that patience was be his biggest obstacle.


    Quietly in 365 days, you can see a young man that was on top of the world, crash to reality, and now start to believe in himself and what he could be. Maybe now the heart and mind are starting believe what the body can do. This is Brandon Rush, this could be the start of something pretty amazing....



    Then go into what he could do based on his championship experience, the advantage of watching his brothers fail and then learning from their mistakes, his physical prowess, and he mindset to play d and sacrifice for the team. I just threw this together, I'd probably pear down the build up now that I read it, it sounds a little contrived and forced, a lil cheesy but like I said I just kinda typed it out real quick.

    imho

  12. #37
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,769

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Seth hating on adverbs and adjectives? I won't be having any of that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWYmEICNgOQ

  13. #38
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    The kid is 13 years old. The fact he's willing to put his neck out at all and write this should be applauded. Most 13 year olds can't tie their own shoes.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  14. #39
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most 13 year olds can't tie their own shoes.
    Pretty sure I still can't.

    Keep writing, rocksb. And if you really love it, try to not let a day go by where you don't spend at least one hour writing. Write every day and study the type of work you admire. You'll surprise yourself, how rapidly you improve + how good you get. (Though I say this not knowing whether you really "want to be a writer" or not. If not, then, well, howdy! )

    (one last thing, BTW: given a certain understanding of grammar and colloquial language, how "good" you are as a writer is basically a factor of desire, intensity, and how hard you're willing to work. And this is totally true, no matter how many people try to mystify it. [Think of how people cast certain NBA players as fluke phenoms: in reality, they just worked their effing *** off.] A very smart person named Gordon Lish said something like this once: 'anyone can become their generation's best writer—it's just a matter of wanting this thing.' ... just my two cents.)
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 04-06-2009 at 04:57 PM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  15. #40
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Apparently Jim O'Brien is an adverb.
    Adverbs often function as intensifiers, conveying a greater or lesser emphasis to something. Intensifiers are said to have three different functions: they can emphasize, amplify, or downtone
    Quote Originally Posted by JOB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We won't be making the playoffs this year
    For the record, I do not hate adverbs, not even sort of hate them, I just really think they are way too overused...a lot. Much. Often.


    The kid is 13 years old. The fact he's willing to put his neck out at all and write this should be applauded.
    Sure, but as I said his style came off youthful. It doesn't matter what the reason is, what matters is that if he's serious about writing then he'll need to keep working at it. That will include getting a much tougher skin. It's just part of the process, no two ways about that.

    A writer just can't take it personal, and that's the toughest step. Your audience is the only thing that matters. Some would say that expressing yourself is key, but I disagree strongly. (w00t @v3rbs) Self-expression is fine, but it doesn't require or really involve an audience. When you put it out in public there is an implied desire to receive feedback from others.

    The problem is most people that do that are not interested in communicating with others about their own feelings, but instead are simply looking for approval and laurels. So instead of hearing criticism and considering why what they were trying to say didn't come across to the other person with it's intended meaning, they will respond very negatively.

    Writing for others isn't about you. It's about them. You want to say things to them in a way that it makes them feel what you want to express or feel the way you want them to feel. Kravitz wants you to feel angry and succeeds, though he typically uses cheap gimmicks to accomplish that effect. If S King writes a book to scare you and you aren't scared then he failed; even if the story does scare him. He could keep it to himself and get that result.

    In this case if you get KStat finishing the article and commenting on how much he would like to see the Pistons trade for Rush, then you've succeeded.


    I've known a lot of arrogant casual writers in my time, mainly in college. For the most part they all sucked. But the ones with tough skins were often pretty good azz (defense).

  16. #41
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Overused, as in what? In beginner writing, maybe. But then again almost every element of language gets abused by beginners. I'm really struggling to think of the last time I begrudged someone an adverb within pro writing. And okay some of that may because of the proscription. But the proscription itself is overboard, and in the hands of certain people leads to some pretty stupid teaching. There are people who think every adverb is like pure evil. Which makes me cry, a little.

    God I hate arrogant casual writers. Most of my friends are that. They think most the things that roll off their fingertips are masterpieces. (And that, of course, everyone else's stuff is ****, unless you're their friend.) And of course they abide by all the most outdated and useless rules of grammar/syntax/whatever. Arghh.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  17. #42

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kea8nJg4zd0

    This thread made me think of this video.

  18. #43
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,485

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently Jim O'Brien is an adverb.


    For the record, I do not hate adverbs, not even sort of hate them, I just really think they are way too overused...a lot. Much. Often.


    Sure, but as I said his style came off youthful. It doesn't matter what the reason is, what matters is that if he's serious about writing then he'll need to keep working at it. That will include getting a much tougher skin. It's just part of the process, no two ways about that.

    A writer just can't take it personal, and that's the toughest step. Your audience is the only thing that matters. Some would say that expressing yourself is key, but I disagree strongly. (w00t @v3rbs) Self-expression is fine, but it doesn't require or really involve an audience. When you put it out in public there is an implied desire to receive feedback from others.

    The problem is most people that do that are not interested in communicating with others about their own feelings, but instead are simply looking for approval and laurels. So instead of hearing criticism and considering why what they were trying to say didn't come across to the other person with it's intended meaning, they will respond very negatively.

    Writing for others isn't about you. It's about them. You want to say things to them in a way that it makes them feel what you want to express or feel the way you want them to feel. Kravitz wants you to feel angry and succeeds, though he typically uses cheap gimmicks to accomplish that effect. If S King writes a book to scare you and you aren't scared then he failed; even if the story does scare him. He could keep it to himself and get that result.

    In this case if you get KStat finishing the article and commenting on how much he would like to see the Pistons trade for Rush, then you've succeeded.


    I've known a lot of arrogant casual writers in my time, mainly in college. For the most part they all sucked. But the ones with tough skins were often pretty good azz (defense).
    Seth, here's some writing advice:

    Use less words to convey your thoughts.

    It's constructive criticism, don't take it personal.


  19. #44
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seth, here's some writing advice:

    Use less words to convey your thoughts.

    It's constructive criticism, don't take it personal.

    fewer

  20. #45
    soul brother #1 BKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    HCMC, Vietnam
    Age
    29
    Posts
    889

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The kid is 13 years old. The fact he's willing to put his neck out at all and write this should be applauded. Most 13 year olds can't tie their own shoes.
    plus you gotta give the kid props for the rate at which he's grown up, he's already 16!!

  21. #46
    The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Disgusta, GA
    Posts
    8,829
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Remember the Name: Brandon Rush

    Brandon Rush can out-write us all, right now.

    And actually on the topic, I could see him on an All-Star team eventually. He makes the game look very easy at times.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Similar Threads

  1. Tbird draft analysis: Brandon Rush
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-03-2009, 10:35 AM
  2. Free Brandon Rush
    By tfarks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
  4. Your favorite moment in Pacers History?
    By circlecitysportsfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 09:36 AM
  5. Brandon Rush "I want to be the next Reggie Miller"
    By GrangerRanger in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 05:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •