Default Pacers Free Agents

Maceo Baston
    Marquis Daniels
    Travis Diener (player option)
    Stephen Graham
    Jarrett Jack (most likely resigning)
    Josh McRoberts (possible resign)
    Rasho Nesterovic

What free agents are you upset to see go?
    Last edited by Trophy; 04-02-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Default Re: Pacers Free Agents

def Quis but jack and mcrob will be back. others could carless sorry

I could see us picking up Jack's qualifying offer, resigning McRoberts and possibly signing Diener and Graham if the price is right
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

[QUOTE=TroyMurphy3;869533]

Travis Diener (possible contract agreement) /QUOTE]

Could you please explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maceo Baston
    Marquis Daniels
    Travis Diener (possible contract agreement)
    Stephen Graham
    Jarrett Jack (most likely resigning)
    Josh McRoberts (possible resign)
    Rasho Nesterovic

What free agents are you upset to see go?
    and this?

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

possibly signing Diener

To what? He signed a 3 year contract when Bird brought him to the Pacers, and he's in his 2nd year of that 3 year contract with a player option the 3rd year. He's signed for next season unless he opts out.

I could see us picking up Jack's qualifying offer, resigning McRoberts and possibly signing Diener and Graham if the price is right
    You can't really "pick up" a qualifying offer. You make an offer of at least that amount, then you retain the right of first refusal when the player hits the market.

Generally, the only time that a player signs to the qualifying offer is when he's not happy with the team, and doesn't want to allow them to match. For example, Ben Gordon was unhappy with Chicago's offer last summer, he didn't want to test the market, only to end up back in Chicago, so he signed the qualifying one year offer, and that will make him an unrestricted free agent this summer.

I find it exceedingly unlikely that Jack will sign the one-year $3mm-ish qualifying offer. I expect a long term (4 year) contract.

Diener has a player option at $1.7mm. It is conceivable that he could get more than that on the market, but it is far from a sure thing. I'd be surprised if that was better than 50/50, and I think he'll consider that too big of a risk. I expect him to exercise his option.

I do expect McRoberts back, and I think the Pacers will probably have a standing offer for Graham at or slightly above the min, but Graham may look elsewhere, perhaps overseas, for more playing time.

None of the other FA's are of any concern to me...(and yes, Seth, that includes Marquis.)

I would be upset to see Jack go, disappointed (mildly) to see Diener or McBob go, unfazed by any of the others leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    You can't really "pick up" a qualifying offer. You make an offer of at least that amount, then you retain the right of first refusal when the player hits the market.

Generally, the only time that a player signs to the qualifying offer is when he's not happy with the team, and doesn't want to allow them to match. For example, Ben Gordon was unhappy with Chicago's offer last summer, he didn't want to test the market, only to end up back in Chicago, so he signed the qualifying one year offer, and that will make him an unrestricted free agent this summer.
    Thanks for that explaination
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

I'd say out of the group I would be a bit disappointed if Diener, Jack or McBob left.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would be upset to see Jack go, disappointed (mildly) to see Diener or McBob go, unfazed by any of the others leaving.
    Ditto!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

I agree with your comment about Jack, but if none of the rest are re-signed that won't upset me at all.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    To what? He signed a 3 year contract when Bird brought him to the Pacers, and he's in his 2nd year of that 3 year contract with a player option the 3rd year. He's signed for next season unless he opts out.
    Yeah that's what I meant. He's unrestricted but its his option.

Maceo Baston (will likely be released after 2008/2009 season; lacks post-up skills and not a strong post-defender)

Marquis Daniels (team option - won't get picked up; see comments on Jarrett Jack below)

Travis Diener (player option - may exercise it if assured backup-PG role; otherwise, may walk if better offer comes along)

Stephen Graham (will likely be released after 2008/2009 season; too many Wing players currently)

Jarrett Jack (qualifying offer - will likely be retained. Better all-around player than Quis; effective combo-Guard and healthier at approx $4.8M less)

Josh McRoberts (may be retained; still "green", but possesses natural athleticism; has quick hands and long arms; has a defensive mind-set. Would come cheap if retained)

Rasho Nesterovic (will likely be released)

What free agents would I be disappointed to see go?
    Probably Graham because of all the players who returned from the '07/08 season, he showed the most stability as far as his overall preparidness, IMO. He always came ready to play and was effective nearly everytime he was called upon. A close 2nd would be Quis; but since we have Jack (assuming he is retained), I won't miss him too much.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 04-02-2009 at 05:06 PM.

The only ones of those I would be disappointed to see leave would be McRoberts and Diener. Jack is just too inconsistent in my opinion and doesn't bring much to the table when it comes to playmaking.

I think Jack is the 2nd best player on the team. I hope he is our starting PG next year and for years to come. I just think he is gonna get a nice offer from some other team that the Pacers won't be able to match. I really doubt the Pacers can keep him for 3m a year. I can see a team giving him 6-7mpy easy, maybe more, we will see.

The rest of the bunch I really don't care one way or the other. I say let them go and make room for whatever rookies there are.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think people only look at the box score and judge a player on that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck View Post
    I think Jack is the 2nd best player on the team. I hope he is our starting PG next year and for years to come. I just think he is gonna get a nice offer from some other team that the Pacers won't be able to match. I really doubt the Pacers can keep him for 3m a year. I can see a team giving him 6-7mpy easy, maybe more, we will see.

The rest of the bunch I really don't care one way or the other. I say let them go and make room for whatever rookies there are.
    Thats why too much for Jack. If he gets that much for him (Ill be happy for him) but he'll definitely be overpaid and I wouldnt want to Pacers to match an offer like that. If he gets a deal similar to Foster's, Ill be happy.

Lets look at players getting in that $6-7 million range:
    Salmons - $6.4
    JR Smith - $5.5
    Maxiell - $5
    Jax - $7
    Devin Harris - $7.2
    Hedo Turkoglu - $7 but his will go up

Mood

Thats why too much for Jack. If he gets that much for him (Ill be happy for him) but he'll definitely be overpaid and I wouldnt want to Pacers to match an offer like that. If he gets a deal similar to Foster's, Ill be happy.

Lets look at players getting in that $6-7 million range:
    Salmons - $6.4
    JR Smith - $5.5
    Maxiell - $5
    Jax - $7
    Devin Harris - $7.2
    Hedo Turkoglu - $7 but his will go up
    Foster makes about that much money.

I would say that Jack will get no better than Carl Landry got last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Foster makes about that much money.

I would say that Jack will get no better than Carl Landry got last year.
    Thats 3 - 4 million range, seems fair

I have rarely seen a player seemingly so disinterested in playing for a team than Rasho. Let's get someone else.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    Travis Diener (player option - may exercise it if assured backup-PG role; otherwise, may walk if better offer comes along)
    With how bad things are with Team's financial situation....I don't see any team that would give Diener a long term contract where he would earn what he is currently earning in the final year of his contract. An "okay" Backup PG that is better suited to be a 3rd string PG isn't going to command a lot of attention.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jack will make roughly 4.75-5.25 in his first year of a new deal. That is my prediction. I think he will get more years from the Pacers than more money up front. Just my opinion.

As a side note to all of this did anyone else hear the OKC announcers talk about Big Smooth saying that Stephen Graham was a vicitim of not fitting the coach's style? He thought Graham would leave the team and would be better off in another system?

I thought that was kind of weird and bold for a person who works for PS&E to make to another teams announcers.

Mood

I am eager to see what he will get. Keep in mind that Ben Gordon is the combo guard to get in this FA market. If he gets a 3-4 year deal at 6.5 then I would be shocked. If the Pacers can get Jack in the 3-4 million range, that would be feesible. Not to say that they are equal, but if I remember correctly Gordon wanted more money. If I were him I would be happy with a Barbosa type deal (multi-year deal at around 6-7 million per).

I would think that Jack would get a deal like his cousin, CJ Miles (multi-year at 3.7 per)

Dooling signed at around 3 per year last year.

Delonte West was resigned last year (3.8 this, 4.2 next, 4.6 on final year)

Kelenna Azubuike- GSW matched the Clippers offer sheet (2.9 this, 3.1 next, 3.3 final)

Maurice Evans- Signed at 2.5 million

Ricky Davis- 2.3

The list goes on and on with combo guards and role players not getting offer sheets like 4.5-5.5. And that is in a better market. With the salary cap being reduced these types of players should be getting a 4% reduction at least.

Allen Iverson
    Raymond Felton
    Jason Kidd
    Andre Miller

Not to mention the Juan Dixons. I think that getting Jack around 3-4 million is more probable than 4-5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    As a side note to all of this did anyone else hear the OKC announcers talk about Big Smooth saying that Stephen Graham was a vicitim of not fitting the coach's style? He thought Graham would leave the team and would be better off in another system?

I thought that was kind of weird and bold for a person who works for PS&E to make to another teams announcers.
    I saw Sam on the TV, but I had it muted.

I would assume they were asking about Stephen because he went to OK State. I would think it was odd if it was just something that was volunteered, but it doesn't seem particularly untoward if it was the answer to a direct question.

I didn't hear it, so I don't know the tone or context, though.