Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers' Hibbert Wants To Be Go-To Guy

Default Pacers' Hibbert Wants To Be Go-To Guy

Rookie center Roy Hibbert has struggled at times this season, but wants to develop into a go-to player for the Pacers.

"We have great shooters on this team from Danny (Granger) and (Troy) Murphy all the way down," Hibbert told the Indianapolis Star. "They're able to hit shots, but if they're not hitting from the outside, I want to be that presence that they can throw the ball down to."

Indiana, even when they had a hobbled Jermaine O'Neal, has lacked a viable interior threat recently.

"I think that's the next step for us, honestly," Granger said. "You have to have a good low-post presence. You can have good wings and good point guard play, but if you don't have a low-post presence, it's hard to be a contender in the league. Roy is going to help us a lot."
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009.../1062/SPORTS04

IndyStar.com

By Mike Wells
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers' Hibbert Wants To Be Go-To Guy

I thought this was an april fool's joke all the way...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Roy has been less than impressive this year. I'll be honest and say I haven't seen any reason to keep him around after his rookie contract expires. Footwork is terrible, can't shoot the midrange, can't dunk under pressure, has little confidence against even mediocre centers.

On a postive note, he does have good soft hands, he can catch the ball in traffic. I sure hope he starts to develop in the next year, but his rookie season has been rough.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy has been less than impressive this year. I'll be honest and say I haven't seen any reason to keep him around after his rookie contract expires. Footwork is terrible, can't shoot the midrange, can't dunk under pressure, has little confidence against even mediocre centers.

On a postive note, he does have good soft hands, he can catch the ball in traffic. I sure hope he starts to develop in the next year, but his rookie season has been rough.

This HAS to be the april fools post .. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This HAS to be the april fools post .. lol
    You beat me to it...

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post

Based off the first 3/4 of his rookie season? C'mon! It takes big men longer to develop in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Based off the first 3/4 of his rookie season? C'mon! It takes big men longer to develop in the NBA.
    Exactly...youre going to have to give ROy at least another season or 2 to make a conclusion like that.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I'm perfectly happy with Roy's development at this point, and I don't think it's unreasonable for him to be a viable post option for whom plays are run. The term "go-to guy" forces visions of a player you ride down the stretch. I do not believe that is what Roy is saying. What he is saying is that he wants to be someone who you can, for stretches of time, run the offense through. He has certainly shown sufficient ability to score in the post.

He does need to get stronger, and stop making stupid fouls, but I think he's demonstrated the capability to be a good, solid scorer in this league.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

YEah I agree yet again with count. go-to guys are Lebron and Kobe type players. Our go to guys last night were Ford and Granger.

What Roy was suggesting is that he develops into an interior threat that alleviates pressure off of Danny and company. Roy would have to start by not fouling as much to be considered a GO-TO GUY.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I'm perfectly happy with Roy's development at this point, and I don't think it's unreasonable for him to be a viable post option for whom plays are run. The term "go-to guy" forces visions of a player you ride down the stretch. I do not believe that is what Roy is saying. What he is saying is that he wants to be someone who you can, for stretches of time, run the offense through. He has certainly shown sufficient ability to score in the post.

He does need to get stronger, and stop making stupid fouls, but I think he's demonstrated the capability to be a good, solid scorer in this league.
    Count, can I nudge you to do one more PER analysis on Hibby & Rush for us ... when you're doing that insane commute to/from TH? Pretty please?? (I'll respond with my all-league report after the season ends.)

Mood

The title was "Hibberts hopes to be a go-to guy". This thread's title leaves it open to interpretation that he is demanding to be THE go-to guy. I hope only a few make that mistake.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

my question is...Why do I read the comments at the end of IndyStar articles?

besides picking fool too esaily I don't see any major flaw in Hibbert's game that could hinder him from being a solid contributor inside. Footwork, body strength and rebound positionning can easily be improved, I don't worry about that. With the pace he's developed at in his first season and one summer league + training camp I'm sure he'll be right there before we realize it

yeh, he isn't saying he should be the guy, he just wants to develop into a guy they can count on in the post and i think that's great. he does need to get stronger. when i watch him move, it really looks like he is currently too underpowered to move around adequately and his leaping ability isn't as good as i think it could be. he needs to work on building about 15-20 lbs more of quality muscle on that big frame of his and i think he will be ready to bang around with anyone.
    he already has great size and interesting potential and i think if over the summer, he just works with some people on getting stronger it will help him in many ways including his rebounding. of course he should also work on refining his offense too but anyways, yeh , i think we got ourselves a center worth keeping.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonder if bulking up won't impact his knees and feet... it usually does on big guys. It's not like he's "small". I almost would rather he worked on technique and build strength/stamina without bulking up too much. JO bulked up for us and really became less effective and more injury-prone.

Hibbert does have a very nice touch around the rim, really seems to have a knack for finding the hoop from awkward positions, especially for a big guy. I think he could really be a tough player to defend once he refines his offensive game a bit.

thing is though, j.o. always had a thin, wispy type of build that couldn't handle his added weight. he tried to become the other oneal when he had a k.g. type body that couldn't handle it. i think roy's body could handle it. although if not throw on 15-20 lbs more weight, he still needs to get stronger which will inevitably add more weight.

Mood

Hibbert doesn't need more pounds, he just needs to improve his strength. They don't always go hand in hand. I think more weight is just going to bring faster chronic leg issues.

He could EASILY handle another 10 pounds of LEAN MUSCLE. Another 1/2 inch on his arms and shoulders would benefit him a lot playing in the post. He would be a much stronger rebounder and would be able to control a lot more when people are swatting at it. He does not have a POWER game he plays with finess so bulking up would not benefit that portion of his game. Only repetition on bigger centers will.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    He could EASILY handle another 10 pounds of LEAN MUSCLE. Another 1/2 inch on his arms and shoulders would benefit him a lot playing in the post. He would be a much stronger rebounder and would be able to control a lot more when people are swatting at it. He does not have a POWER game he plays with finess so bulking up would not benefit that portion of his game. Only repetition on bigger centers will.
    :ditto: What he said.

I've probably said something similar about 150 times during this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He still has a while to go

My only issues with Hibbert are his foul trouble, and he shot much better the first half of the year than he has the 2nd half. Maybe rookie wall or something though. It's not a big concern to me yet.

-- Steve --

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    My only issues with Hibbert are his foul trouble, and he shot much better the first half of the year than he has the 2nd half. Maybe rookie wall or something though. It's not a big concern to me yet.

-- Steve --
    i think that in time Hibbert will learn how to stay out of foul trouble.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post

He's a 17th pick that I thought was way to slow/awkward to make in the league even though I started last year as a fan and excited for his senior year.

I'd call his rookie year a huge success. I mean I realize most bigs drafted after 15th go on to greatness but maybe its going to take Roy longer than all those other greats on that list.

Roy doesn't need weight at all, he's not getting really muscled. He just doesn't have the full low post scoring finesse yet, and a big reason for that was that G'town didn't ask him to work the low post as much as the high post. Jabbar in his final years wasn't any more athletic than Roy is now, he just had that nice set of go-to moves that he could work to perfection. Smits was similar in finding exactly which shots he could and couldn't get regularly and then going to them.

You know hops and quickness aren't the only attributes that impact how good a player can become. Too often IQ is overlooked with some assumption that all players can be taught the same. That's crazy. A brighter player will learn more, and not just from coaching but from experience. You need smarts to maximize potential. So Roy might not be as athletic, but he's more likely to tweak out every ounce of potential which should be enough to keep up with some of the better athletes who never really make good on their promise.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 04-01-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    my question is...Why do I read the comments at the end of IndyStar articles?
    I only do that if i wanna be mad for a while. That being said, I think Roy's had a pretty decent year. If we can get him to stay outta foul trouble he'll improve that much more.

He's too soft right now. He needs to be stronger. Strong like bull. Or at least strong like Barac.