Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Yay! Indycar season is here!

Default Re: Yay! Indycar season is here!

I don't see a Saturday 500. Right now it's fan friendly with a travel day on either side of it.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ABADays For This Useful Post:

Roger also mentioned doing what Rick Mears has suggested (which I didn't know Rick Mears had suggested this)- taking the wings off the cars.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roger also mentioned doing what Rick Mears has suggested (which I didn't know Rick Mears had suggested this)- taking the wings off the cars.
    My co-worker said they need to do this.

I say boo.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My co-worker said they need to do this.

I say boo.
    There's a lot of things I would've said "boo" to a few years ago that I am now considerably more open-minded about. I do think the Indy 500 is hurting and the mystique has been eroded considerably.

I think everything should be on the table in regards to Indycar racing and the Indy 500... including severing the Indy 500 from any league. I'm not saying "Do it"... I'm saying I'd be listening to any and all ideas. I think the feeder system needs to be part of the discussion... and I'm not solely talking Indy Lights. I'm talking Go Karts and right on up the line.

Cars without wings sounds like they would look odd but then think about all the varieties of cars we've seen at the Speedway over the years. What's really 'odd' is this modern era with every car looking identical except for the paint job.

And let's not forget what that rear wing does- It slows the car down by creating drag. It's not there to speed it up.

I'd need to hear more about Rick's idea but I assume ground effects would still be part of the package. You'd just be entering T1 with a lot of speed and need to use some tools like: the brake- the accelerator- hand eye coordination- skill- etc. True, those are already in use, but the balance of their importance changes immensely. Also, different styles would mean different approaches to driving lines, braking points, brake balance, etc..

I doubt a 'wingless' Indycar would look anything like an existing car sans wings (which would look odd). I imagine a new chassis could be made to look sporty and modern.

Ideally, whatever is done, there needs to be some innovation and differences brought back to the sport IMHO. Especially to Indy itself.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden