Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yay! Indycar season is here!

Default Re: Yay! Indycar season is here!

I don't know what the weather is up the road but it's been no rain here with a mixture of mostly clouds but some sun.

IMHO IMS needs to rethink their strategy when it comes to opening the track versus their cost-cutting measures. Why not keep Sunday as the official opening day for the track? Give the veterans the track for an hour, run ROP for the majority of the day, and then open the track for veterans again.

For one thing, NASCAR ran on Saturday night so Indy could've been live on Versus for a couple of hours today with no other major US racing competition on TV or for area/regional press to cover. It could've been a nice springboard to kickoff the month for coverage and hype building purposes.

Importantly, I think the shortened week is a bad idea in Indiana anyway due to our unpredictable weather. Leaving Sunday on the calendar would've added a little more buffer if you just HAVE to go dark on Monday and Tues for vets. Plus, having the track opener be ROP (and refreshers) alone doesn't seem to be a momentum starting plan either. If I was speedway king I'd ALWAYS open with veterans taking the track even if they didn't get the complete day and part of it was dedicated to ROP.

I'd agree the 2nd week doesn't need the track time that the first week could use. I think the first week serves purposes beyond simply ROP, practice for the vets, etc. It's free advertising for the event. The problem with the shorter 2nd week is one of logistics: Indiana weather! Last year was a perfect example. We had gorgeous days to start the week but the track was dark. Then weather moved in and practice days were cut short and mostly hurry up and wait piecemeal sessions. There were people on 2nd week engine programs who needed that track time. There were drivers looking for rides who were frozen out because teams had to focus their short practice time on the main car(s).

If the problem is cost-cutting measures for the Speedway itself and trying to not need to staff the facility for a couple of low turnout days, then they might just need to consider it a cost of doing business expense. They'll make up for it race day. If it's trying to cut costs for the competitors and keep the playing field more level (since those that can afford to run more WILL run more in practice) then possibly they could cap practice laps per day or some per day vs per week limits. Limit tires.... something...
    Have Monday and Tuesday as 'optional' days in that 2nd week with the ability to open IF the extended weather forecast looks questionable for later in that week (by the previous weekend).

But whatever the case, now they've cutback both the 1st and 2nd week. I wouldn't have cutback week 1, or if I would've I would've left Sunday on there.
    Last edited by Bball; 05-03-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For one thing, NASCAR ran on Saturday night so Indy could've been live on Versus for a couple of hours today with no other major US racing competition on TV or for area/regional press to cover. It could've been a nice springboard to kickoff the month for coverage and hype building purposes.
    I don't know that going up against a game 7 NBA playoff game and a triple OT Hockey game would have been that great.

As for when the Speedway is open, as the resident Debbie Downer around here it's been my experience the Speedway is screwed no matter what they do. I would think the theory behind starting later is teams are here less so it's not as big a drain on their bottom line. If you start early and have off days during the month teams are still spending money to be here (or spending money to go home).

I love the month of May in Indy. Even better when the Pacers are playing in May.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

woman without a team

Anybody who goes to the parade look for Kegboy. He'll be marching with the Purdue Alumni Band (as a sax player, not the Golden Girl).

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    I love the month of May in Indy. Even better when the Pacers are playing in May.
    I remember people leaving the 500 early one year to watch Pacers vs Knicks in the playoffs.

I am still upset that Buddy Rice does not have a ride this year. He is a former Champion and gets zero love from Tony George.

Well, it's finally opening day at the track for veterans and if the weather is the same at 16th and Georgetown as here... it's raining.

I still see shortening practice by cutting out days is just asking for trouble with Indiana's weather. Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday would've all been fine. Now everyone is dodging raindrops and watching the radar.

And as far as cost containment helping the smaller teams compete, well all that is negated if they don't get real track time due to the weather. The bigger teams are not hurt nearly as much by a lack of track time IMHO.... although I'm sure it hurts everyone to some degree and skews things that could matter in the end. Obviously, with more track time you can try different things and put it in the notebook for reference on race day. While that will mainly be the domain of the larger teams, the smaller teams just need to experiment and learn the car better and find speed first and foremost.

Secondly, the shortened track time really hurts chances of drivers with helmet in hand trying to find a ride. Teams need to get their main car and driver comfortable and in the field before they can start looking at trying to field an extra car. And teams also need plenty of time to make sure their existing driver really 'isn't cutting it' and still have time to put someone else in the car. With shortened practice, shortened by weather even more, they can get painted into a corner fairly quickly and be stuck. And that is a lot of expense right there to have a wasted entry that ends up without a chance to make the field of 33.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Yep, I just knew when it started raining Bball would be singing "I was right".

As far as I'm concerned it can rain all it wants as long as it doesn't rain on race day.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Yep, I just knew when it started raining Bball would be singing "I was right".

As far as I'm concerned it can rain all it wants as long as it doesn't rain on race day.

Does that mean I'm.....

Wait for it....

Wait....

Ok...

Does that mean I'm singing in the rain?

------

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Whatever floats your boat.

I was out there yesterday. The weather was awesome. The sounds of the engine was music to my ears. I got to see a lot of the changes that had been made while I was in Iraq. Great day.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man...I won't be able to make it out there until closer to next week. I'm wanting to use my parking pass!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For thousands of race fans its not the month of May until they hear one voice.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFEVC...eature=related

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    For thousands of race fans its not the month of May until they hear one voice.......
    say "Mario is slowing on the backstretch."

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    say "Mario is slowing on the backstretch."
    or Danny Ongais has hit the wall

woman without a team

I wonder how many people around here actually know who Danny Ongais is.

On a slightly related note Kegboy had an "I must be old" moment at work today when a coworker had no idea what V the TV series was.

Indycar has a new problem. I am a big fan of Indycar and have always watched every race for as long as I can remember. Now it's on Versus (12 of the races and Indy qualifying). Versus which is owned by Comcast refuses to put Vs on expanded basic cable. These are my options. I now have expanded cable/internet for $96 a month. I can switch to Dish or Directv and pay the same cable while adding Vs but would pay more for internet and get a worse connection. I watch the Pacers,Reds,Colts (including most of the home games)and NASCAR on expanded basic. Now to watch Indycar I will have to add a box and sports package at $20 a month. I guess when it's free again I will watch. I would not care if they added Vs to expapnded basic and my bill went up a dollar a month. No way am I paying $20 a month.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    Indycar has a new problem. I am a big fan of Indycar and have always watched every race for as long as I can remember. Now it's on Versus (12 of the races and Indy qualifying). Versus which is owned by Comcast refuses to put Vs on expanded basic cable. These are my options. I now have expanded cable/internet for $96 a month. I can switch to Dish or Directv and pay the same cable while adding Vs but would pay more for internet and get a worse connection. I watch the Pacers,Reds,Colts (including most of the home games)and NASCAR on expanded basic. Now to watch Indycar I will have to add a box and sports package at $20 a month. I guess when it's free again I will watch. I would not care if they added Vs to expapnded basic and my bill went up a dollar a month. No way am I paying $20 a month.
    I'm on Comcast and I didn't have to purchase any special package to get Versus. Watched the whole day of qualifications today.

I'm on Comcast and I didn't have to purchase any special package to get Versus. Watched the whole day of qualifications today.
    I was told by others that in some big markets it is on expanded basic cable. Leaves about 3/4 of the rest of us out.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"

Default Pole Day Photos Re: Yay! Indycar season is here!

Bball's Indy Pole Day 2009 pics.

I didn't snap as many photos as normal due to a couple of things:
    Sore knee limited how much walking I wanted to do.
    Cold wind limited how long I wanted to stay in the better vantage point for photos.

Tony Kanan rolls his entry for "ugliest car" onto the track.
    Note: Kanan is driving what was a teammate's backup car which is why it has the 'interesting' paint scheme. Look for it to be repainted in his traditional colors ASAP.

Not to be outdone, Dan Wheldon gets ready with his entry for "ugliest care". (Soon after this photo the car was in the wall making it even uglier).
    Note: What would be wrong with a Red, White, and Blue car for the National Guard sponsored car? Maybe with some stars on it....

Franchitti ultimately put this car on the outside of row one.

Should someone remind these people that green race cars are traditionally known as "bad luck"?

Team AGR leaves the pits for practice.

Danica AKA "The Princess" (also heard previously on the scanner "The Roadblock"), gets ready for some practice time.

Watching Rahal in his shiny red racer with those golden arches fly by made me sufficiently hungry for a Big Mac. I suspect this advertising will have sold at least one Big Mac for them before the weekend is over.

Helio celebrates his pole position starting spot for this year's Indy 500.
    Last edited by Bball; 05-10-2009 at 05:36 AM.

------

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can hear the call now....

Wheldon comes out of nowhere to take the lead! Nobody saw him coming. Did you see him coming? I didn't see him coming!

Nice pics BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I can hear the call now....

Wheldon comes out of nowhere to take the lead! Nobody saw him coming. Did you see him coming? I didn't see him coming!

Nice pics BTW.
    Heh
    No... he will be declared the winner later when it's discovered he crossed the finish line first but nobody noticed!

------

-John Wooden

Fun stuff

Anybody know where I can get a free indy car ringtone?

Anybody know where I can get a free indy car ringtone?
    I would like a free ringtone also... can anyone help?

I'd like to point out today is a gorgeous day for practice at IMS.... Too bad this is one of the 'closed' days.

------

-John Wooden