Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yay! Indycar season is here!

woman without a team

Default Re: Yay! Indycar season is here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt it helped the government's case to have several tax cheats in Obama's administration getting passes in the news.
    Word.

When I was doing my taxes on line I got to the page that said something like "Did you have any money from an off shore account". I called my mom and said "Shouldn't this be called the "Helio Castroneves page"?

Rule number one of IRL coverage

Never interview Ashley Judd.

Briscoe needs to look for the flags. He never should have ran into Dixon.

What is Penske going to do with Will Power? Is he going to just race street, road, and big money oval races? He is not going to Kansas but will be @ Indy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, great job for Dario. I'm glad he got right back in where he left off. A great open-wheel driver.

Power is now in for Kansas and Indy. We'll see after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    Power is now in for Kansas and Indy. We'll see after that.
    Thanks for the update. The Versus coverage said yesterday that he was not going to run in Kansas but was in Indy.

I am upset with the schedule

No reason the IRL should not run @ Nashville, Brooklyn Michigan, Belle Isle or Cleveland. I just feel the Indy Racing League should have more races in the midwest.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Rule number one of IRL coverage

Never interview Ashley Judd.
    I don't mind Ashley Judd. Sometimes I think she knows more about racing that Danica does.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I don't mind Ashley Judd. Sometimes I think she knows more about racing that Danica does.
    I do not like Ashley because she ran her mouth about Milka. Sponsership has a lot to do with racing and Milka had a strong one in Citgo. Also, No driver signs more autographs for kids than Milka @ the Motor Speedway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I do not like Ashley because she ran her mouth about Milka. Sponsership has a lot to do with racing and Milka had a strong one in Citgo. Also, No driver signs more autographs for kids than Milka @ the Motor Speedway.
    Plus she threw her towel at Danica.... which elevated Milka in my book!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Plus she threw her towel at Danica.... which elevated Milka in my book!

-Bball
    During the first race when Danica was going off on Matos after their crash all I could think of was "Man I bet wishes he could slap that b!tch."

One of my buddies calls Rapheal Matos Dumbo because he has huge ears.

Street courses aren't the best test of tv coverage but overall Versus' coverage looks pretty good to me for the first couple of attempts out of the box.

I don't watch these and feel I'm watching a low budget production by any stretch of the imagination.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Street courses aren't the best test of tv coverage but overall Versus' coverage looks pretty good to me for the first couple of attempts out of the box.

I don't watch these and feel I'm watching a low budget production by any stretch of the imagination.
    Wouldn't youi love to be the ESPN/ABC exec that realizes Versus is equally as good, if not better, after only two races.

Read a short column on the Sportspage today 04/21/2009 in Indystar that stated viewership nearly doubled from last race. Keep in mind though the Nascar race was on a Saturday night.

woman without a team

If the NASCAR races continue to be as boring as they have been since they went to the COT cars IRL viewership is going to go through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    If the NASCAR races continue to be as boring as they have been since they went to the COT cars IRL viewership is going to go through the roof.
    Amen to that.

...And since this is a racing thread...
    Hey NASCAR, run your races on Sunday like you always traditionally have done. I wouldn't begrudge them a special race on a Saturday but they stand a much better chance of catching my eye on Sundays. Yes, I could DVR the Saturday races but Grace's point stands- NASCAR is rather boring these days. I'm more likely to watch on a Sunday as something I settle on, not something I seek out.

The Bud Shootout (or whatever it is called these days) used to be Sunday afternoon and was the kickoff to the season. After sitting in cold Indiana all winter long I enjoyed getting up and watching racing from sunny Daytona. Now they run it Saturday night. Watching a race from a chilly Daytona with a night sky and people bundled up doesn't exactly having the same affect on me. ...And that is ASSUMING I remember it is even on in the first place.

And I'm not thrilled with the Daytona 500 ending in darkness either.

------

-John Wooden

Graham Rahal wins pole at an oval. Nice.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

I think I'll root for Sarah to pass Danica and ultimately finish higher. I doubt Sarah is going to be all that racy though considering it's her first race of the season and they are probably not going to want to knock the wheels of the Dollar General machine with their budget and Indy looming. OTOH, Danica always starts her races in reverse so you never know....

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

BTW... I'm still curious how Rahal- Letterman cannot get a sponsor and field a car. I have no idea what $$$ (if any) Letterman actually funneled into the team but it's hard to believe a sponsor couldn't find some value being on a "Letterman" car. I wonder if there's more to it somehow. You'd think they could count on the driver getting on Late night (and more than once) and dropping some plugs as well as Letterman himself getting some plugs in or clips of the car (and sponsor decals).

And if the team actually could do well they'd get bonus exposure....

Something just doesn't smell right and it seems like it must be more than the economy...

------

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Rahal Letterman hasn't been good for years. Vitor Meira was their best driver and let let him leave. Danica brought the most money and she walked. If you can't get a driver that brings his or her own sponsors you're pretty much screwed now days.

IRL has Green Flag racing yesterday and the Nascar wreck gets all the coverage. Nice to see Dixon get the checkered. Funny Thing He dropped to from first to third on a yellow and the same thing happens to Briscoe. Next Up the 500.

Danica had a pretty good race and a good finish and the coverage wasn't all about Danica. They actually covered battles on the track.

One of a things about the ovals, especially the 1.5mi ovals, is in the stands you can watch the entire field all the way around. There are always battles on the track although it isn't always for the lead. Also, usually there's a charger or two that is sitting further back in the field but slicing their way thru in a methodical order. Versus did a good job of showing us that type of stuff (it appears). I say "it appears" because until I see a race live and compare it with the coverage it'll be hard to know for sure how on top of things they really are. They are at least covering some of it, that we can know for sure.

There's more to a race than the car in the lead. In fact, sometimes there is a strategy at play where a driver not in the lead is sacrificing positions and speed and trying to use a pi/fuel strategy to get themselves into the lead toward the end when it counts... and then try and pull away...

All that said... I watched Wind Tunnel on SPEED last night and did Indycar get any time at all? I know Despain said they'd have Dixon on "overtime" on their webcast AFTER the show is off the air but I kept waiting for something during the show and I saw nothing. Since I had it on DVR maybe I skipped over it accidentally if it was a short bit.

True, NASCAR about killed someone in the stands and that rightly got some time, BUT the majority of the talk was just about Nascar topics in general, not that. IF the show had been more indepth about the Nascar incident, safety, and what went wrong, I could understand it a little better... But it wasn't. If you about put a car through the fence and into the crowd, I could understand the need to talk about that. Did we really see an example of the catchfence working, or did we see an example of it pushed to it's limit?

-Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 04-27-2009 at 11:54 AM.

------

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the catchfence did it's job. The chain link can only keep out so much debris, by that time that car was disintegrating like an IndyCar.

woman without a team

They don't need to cover Danica during the race. She gets more than enough exposure in those Go Daddy commercials.

As for Wind Tunnel you could try complaining to Despain, but he'd tell you what he always does. Something like NASCAR is popular so that's what they have to talk about. I'm sure the fact that Speed has tons of NASCAR programing has a lot to do with what Wind Tunnel covers.
    Last edited by grace; 04-27-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I think the catchfence did it's job. The chain link can only keep out so much debris, by that time that car was disintegrating like an IndyCar.

I'd have to say it did it's job too... but those poles gave way more than Nascar probably should be comfortable seeing. That's my guess.

OTOH, Edwards is probably lucky he slammed into a fence that gave that much instead of a solid wall.

I bet a lot of the talk about this safety issue will be lessened by the fact it happened on the last lap. If that had happened mid race, I seriously doubt they could've made repairs to the fence in any kind of timely fashion for a race restart. If that is true, then there'd be a lot more questions being asked if a fence was so damaged racing couldn't continue (at least not with fans in the stands). I'm doubting you could weld some poles and restring some steel rope and be anywhere close to acceptable for safety standards. It looked to me like the poles were compromised at the base and likely the concrete as well.

-Bball "I could be wrong... But regardless: Bring on Indy!"

------

-John Wooden

Old, but fun, in car video from 1992 Indy 500. I wonder why they don't utilize a camera like this any longer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE3U_qPtQpQ

------

-John Wooden