Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petition to fire coach O'Brien

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Petition to fire coach O'Brien

I am starting a petition to fire coach O'Brien. I am sick and tired of reading about how, despite the excessive amount of losses, that this season has been somewhat successful. As a lifetime Pacer fan, losing is unacceptable. Missing the playoffs, two seasons with O'brien, is unacceptable. This Pacer team has talent. Bird did an outstanding job getting talent during the offseason for O'brien to work with, but coach has done nothing. Jarret Jack is quietly having a solid season, as well as TJ Ford. If you look at other teams in the east with lesser talent, like Philadelphia and Chicago who will make the playoffs, it kind of makes me sick. If the Pacers had better coaching, this team would make the playoffs in the embarrasing East conference. Why give O'brien another year to "see how everyone responds after one full season under his system." This is sentiment is balderdash. Pacers are going nowhere with coach. We all know that O'brien is not the guy to take this team to where we want them.

Default Re: Petition to fire coach O'Brien

I personally dont see JOB going anywhere. We cant afford to fire him and hire another coach. You have to also look at the amount of injuries we had this season. Dunleavy has miss practically the whole season. We really dont have anyone to play in the post. I seriously dont see this team being an elite team again until 2011. Bird said hes on a 3 year project (last season) so we're going to have to be patient. So far we're on the right track. We just need more flexibility and that will come once Dunleavy, Ford, Murphy and Tinsley's contracts are all up. We'll have the most cap space in the league that summer and we can hit the free agency for a post player and a PG. So far we have Rush, Granger, Jack (possibly off the bench) and Hibbert as the future which is a good building piece
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Not gonna happen.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

This team is on pace to win around 35 games and miss the playoffs by a few games. Did you really expect more out of this season? Even with Dunleavy healthy, I think most thought they'd be right where they are right now. I'm excited about this team adding a few pieces in the off season and coming back knowing the system and their teammates. I think next year will be the year to judge JOB. If this team doesn't make the playoffs next year, then I'll agree that a change in coaches might be warranted.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Dude.

The Bulls have been stockpiling more talent and assets over the years. They have more talent. They've been picking much higher in the draft and have had more picks over the past few seasons. They've already made the 2nd round of the playoffs with the basic core they've had. Quite frankly, they've been underachieving team and are going to barely squeak in thanks to a deadline trade.

It's the Pacers who did more with less (compared to the Bulls). The Bulls simply had more pieces of talent gathered over the past several years and they're the ones who should have surpassed what they've achieved long ago.

JOB got careers years out of Granger, Jarret Jack, Murphy and the best season Marquis Daniels has had in quite awhile. Are you mad he didn't make Hibbert a rookie of the year candidate or that he couldn't fix Dunleavy's knee?

And out of all the coaches Dunleavy has had, he's had by far and away the most success under JOB. Not Eric Musselman. Not Nellie. Not Carlisle. JOB. It's not even close.

Should you want a better coach than JOB? Sure. Are there better coaches out there than JOB? Absolutely. The chances of an established coach who is obviously PROVEN to be much better than JOB wanting to come to the Pacers? Very low until they make the roster more attractive.
    Last edited by d_c; 04-05-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, this is going to solve all our problems. Insult removed, please keep things above the beltline.

Personally I wouldnt mind a new coach, but its just not going to happen right now. I really havent been a fan of coaches who have no concept of defense. Im also not a fan of coaches that play the 'run and gun' system. We can afford to let JOB go and hire someone new.

If JOB were to be fired (which I could almost guarantee he wont), I wouldn't mind see someone like JVG of Flip Saunders comes in
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

While I think JOB is a average at best coach... better isn't knocking on our door. That said, I absolutely agree with, and am sickened by, the constant apologies made for this team's failures, and the talk of moral victory / they did the best they could.

That's rubbish.

You either win, or you lose. We lose. A lot. It doesn't matter how much you doctor up the losing, or rationalize it, or say it would have been different if xyz were different, it's a loss. We have to go 4-2 for these last games to even manage the same record as last year, which was also awful. Stop trying to make it sound like it's good. It's bad. Period.

To say we were wracked with injury, even if true, doesn't make it better. Although I'd actually say that's a terrible argument anyway, unless you really believe Dunleavy would have made us a 45 win team. In which case I think you're a lunatic. Many teams lost much better players to injury and still won games: Tmac from the Rockets... hey they are looking great in the tougher West, Jameer Nelson having an all star / most improved player year, and they are still legit title contenders, Philly lost Elton Brand, a perennial all star and fully twice the player Dunleavy could ever imagine being on their way to a nice playoff season.

So really, give that "we suffered injuries" litany a rest. It's weak.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I think JOB is a average at best coach... better isn't knocking on our door. That said, I absolutely agree with, and am sickened by, the constant apologies made for this team's failures, and the talk of moral victory / they did the best they could.

That's rubbish.

You either win, or you lose. We lose. A lot. It doesn't matter how much you doctor up the losing, or rationalize it, or say it would have been different if xyz were different, it's a loss. We have to go 4-2 for these last games to even manage the same record as last year, which was also awful. Stop trying to make it sound like it's good. It's bad. Period.

To say we were wracked with injury, even if true, doesn't make it better. Although I'd actually say that's a terrible argument anyway, unless you really believe Dunleavy would have made us a 45 win team. In which case I think you're a lunatic. Many teams lost much better players to injury and still won games: Tmac from the Rockets... hey they are looking great in the tougher West, Jameer Nelson having an all star / most improved player year, and they are still legit title contenders, Philly lost Elton Brand, a perennial all star and fully twice the player Dunleavy could ever imagine being on their way to a nice playoff season.

How about the injuries on top of the main thing... A real lack of talent!
    Gotta have the horses!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

That's rubbish.

yo ur the last jamaal fan lol
    its not about the injuries
    we just simply dont have good players and on top of that they have not been together for long enough to form a true team -7 new players remember-
    lets look at the lineup
    hibbert ---rookie what can you expect from him, 17th pick
    murphy--- i dont care about what everyone on this forum says about how he deserves his money and he is good and all that, he sucks, he is soft and basically if he doesnt shoot 3s he is worthless, by the way the real person on a basketball team who shoots the 3 is the sg sf or in some cases pg
    granger---he is the only "good" person on the team, and i think he played pretty well this season
    rush----rookie enough said
    jack/ford----neither is a above average pg
    tell me what can a coach do more than this guy has done to win???
    you can just come here and tell me stories about the bulls and others
    ok i agree with you that a better coach might have put them in the playoffs but there is not way in hell that the pacers win a 7 series with anyone in the east that made the playoffs, so basically job is here to get a couple of late lottery picks, do enough winning so that we are not totally pissed off and wait for players to develop and also get new and better talent in rebuilding the indiana pacers.

Mood

ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by plutarch View Post
    yo ur the last jamaal fan lol
    its not about the injuries
    we just simply dont have good players and on top of that they have not been together for long enough to form a true team -7 new players remember-
    lets look at the lineup
    hibbert ---rookie what can you expect from him, 17th pick
    murphy--- i dont care about what everyone on this forum says about how he deserves his money and he is good and all that, he sucks, he is soft and basically if he doesnt shoot 3s he is worthless, by the way the real person on a basketball team who shoots the 3 is the sg sf or in some cases pg
    granger---he is the only "good" person on the team, and i think he played pretty well this season
    rush----rookie enough said
    jack/ford----neither is a above average pg
    tell me what can a coach do more than this guy has done to win???
    you can just come here and tell me stories about the bulls and others
    ok i agree with you that a better coach might have put them in the playoffs but there is not way in hell that the pacers win a 7 series with anyone in the east that made the playoffs, so basically job is here to get a couple of late lottery picks, do enough winning so that we are not totally pissed off and wait for players to develop and also get new and better talent in rebuilding the indiana pacers.
    I totally agree with what youre saying about Murphy, hes about 5" too tall for his game. He plays like a swingman, when he should be playing like a big man and learn some post moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    How about the injuries on top of the main thing... A real lack of talent!
    Gotta have the horses!
    We already tried having partial horses... and had the wrong end. We're trying to only have entire horses now...

-Bball "should just go to bed now"
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I don't think we are loaded with talent, but compare our roster to the 76ers roster for a second.

Dunleavy < Brand, but both are injured so we'll wash that.

On this board at least people will say without question Granger > Iggy

Dre Miller vs Jack/Ford -- Dre is better than either, but certainly we have the depth won

Speights is a rookie taken just 1 spot before Rush I think, so that should be a wash, we have Hibbert as well from that draft round...

Dalembert vs Murphy... certainly far different players, but I doubt many would argue Dalembert is much more talented

So where is this plethora of talent that the 76ers have, that we don't? Why will they win almost 10 more games than us?

I guess making apologies and excuses eases the pain for some. Oh and Duke, *removed*, you've added much to the conversation with your no substance one liners. "Way to be an adult." "Ignored" seriously, why bother to take the time to post that? This is a forums for conversation and debate, partake and save the holier than thou insults.
    Last edited by Dece; 04-05-2009 at 02:30 AM.

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    ignored.
    Yep. I'm SO glad the admins reinstalled that feature.

It's just like having a handy SPAM filter to weed out rubbish like this.
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 04-05-2009 at 02:42 AM.

I don't think we are loaded with talent, but compare our roster to the 76ers roster for a second.

Dre Miller vs Jack/Ford -- Dre is better than either, but certainly we have the depth won

Speights is a rookie taken just 1 spot before Rush I think, so that should be a wash, we have Hibbert as well from that draft round...

Dalembert vs Murphy... certainly far different players, but I doubt many would argue Dalembert is much more talented

So where is this plethora of talent that the 76ers have, that we don't? Why will they win almost 10 more games than us?

I guess making apologies and excuses eases the pain for some. Oh and Duke, you're a total child bro, you've added much to the conversation with your no substance one liners. "Way to be an adult." "Ignored" seriously, why bother to take the time to post that? This is a forums for conversation and debate, partake and save the holier than thou insults.
    Who would you compare Thaddeus Young to? All our "good" players you have already used in comparison. From the players you havent mentioned, no one compares to Thaddeus Young. Also, they have a young PG they have faith in, Louis Williams

I don't really think that highly of Louis Williams, Jack/Ford whichever you think is the backup I'd say makes the point guard slot even.

I did totally forget about Thaddeus, you got me there, but really, do you think he's so talented that he's worth ~10 wins? Plus we were supposed to already be ahead from Granger winning his match up. Maybe I'm just outright wrong and overvaluing our players here, but I look at their roster and my thought isn't "man, they are stacked compared to us"

Mood

I take the time to post because I feel t necessary that people need to know that makng a "petition" to fire the coach is not only waste of time, but not the solution. We've beat around this dead horse for some time now, and I thought all this had stopped.

Call me a child all you want, but remember: I'm not the one creating threads like this, bro.

It's a web forum for discussion... there are no solutions here, not in ANY thread. No one can solve anything Pacer related here. We aren't management. As much as I agree with you that a petition to fire JOB is inherently silly, it DID spark a conversation or debate of sorts.

I'm not sure how you can't see the hypocrisy of making potshot insults about the usefulness of a thread. Like your potshots "solved" something where this thread could not. You certainly would have been better served to say nothing, or if you feel it necessary, as you say, then actually say something, driving by with denigration will never solve anything. If you'd like the thread starter to see it from your point of view, than make an argument. State your point of view. Or keep your peace.

Random unexplained insults ARE childish, and they ARE cowardly. That's not just an opinion, so remember that if you'd like to be better than what you seem to have disdain for.

This conversation needs to head back to being about the topic at hand very rapidly.

I guess making apologies and excuses eases the pain for some. Oh and Duke, you're a total child bro, you've added much to the conversation with your no substance one liners. "Way to be an adult." "Ignored" seriously, why bother to take the time to post that? This is a forums for conversation and debate, partake and save the holier than thou insults.
    Some points

Miller/Williams/Greene is a better combo than Ford/Jack/Diener. Out of all those guys, Miller is the truest of all PGs and the best player defensively.

Dalembert may or may not be more talented than Murphy, but we know he does two things that Murphy absolutely does not: Play center and defend the paint. From a bigman's perspective, those are more essential to a team's success than the shooting that Murphy brings. Right now, Dalembert does a better job of that than any current Pacer.

Overall, the 76ers team is longer and more athletic, and those two things by themselves make them better defensively. They can force turnovers and get out into the open court for easy buckets. They are 5th in the league in steals where as the Pacers are 23rd. That's a big part of what they've done the past couple years. The Pacers have a harder time doing that with the personnel they have and subsequently they can't get those free, easy points that the 76ers get.

As most know I'm not a fan of "Jimmy's run n gun with little "D" system", but as I have stated in earlier "fire" O'Brien threads he won't be fired. It's a money issue of paying 2 coaches at the sametime if he's fired. Not to mention Bird isn't going to put egg on his face by firing his "over the phone hired coach." O'Brien will be here again next year, so get use to the idea.

I have never been in the fire O'Brien camp, but just the O'Brien needs to change his system camp. I AM in the "tar n feather Bird camp" if he picks up O'Brien's option year for 2010-11, and will lead the group to Conseco if it happens.

As frustrated as I have been with O'Brien, it will be interesting to see his coaching next season. 2 years in a row the Pacers start playing better the last qtr of the season making a push for the ever elusive playoffs only to fall short with failure. If next season the Pacers start out the gate as they have the last 2 seasons, then I may be campaigning for him being fired. He will have had players in "his system" long enough to make the playoffs with a winning record. If not, so long Jimmy.

P/S

Just for the record the Pacers have lost 44 games and out of those 44 losses the Pacers have given up 100 plus points to the opposition "38 TIMES!"
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 04-05-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    We cant afford to fire him and hire another coach.
    Truth.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

(Everybody ought to have one of these.)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers do have talent to make the playoffs, I don't care what anybody says. Granger can score 30 a night, which several playoff teams don't have. Murphy, although overpaid, can be an effective weapon with his abliity to shoot threes. Jarrett Jack is underrated, and could be a legitimate 6th man of the year candidate under the right system. T.J Ford is good enough to win 40 games with. We have all seen what Jeff Foster can do when given an opportunity. JOB doesn't seem to know how to utilize Jeff's talent. Rasho is a veteran, and can also be effective with his unique skill set if coached properly. Hibbert is somewhat of a threat defensively with his shot blocking skills. Marquis Daniles can get to the paint and finish with the best of them.

Sorry guys, JOB clearly has a talented group to work with. These players have beaten Boston, Lakers, Cavs, etc. They are good enough to win at least 41 games.