Thread: Bloomington Apartments?

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bloomington Apartments?

My wife and I will be moving to Bloomington this summer and have begun to search for an apartment. It's always best to have first-hand info, so does anyone here have any apartment complexes or similar rentals worth mentioning, good or bad? We've found some places fitting our wishes but I'm sure we've missed some things. Here's some basic stuff on our wish list:

1-2 bedroom
    Cat friendly
    On city bus line
    Rent under $700/month (not including amenties, higher if some included)
    Washer/Dryer included

Every little bit of info helps. Thanks!
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bloomington Apartments?

OM

I have refered people to a company in Bloomington for relocation purposes. I KNOW they have rentals. If you would like, when I get to the office I will get their contact info and make discreet inquiries for you. (No charge to you, they MAY give me a referral fee) People I have sent them have been very pleased...and I do not make recommendations lightly.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

There are lots of houses along South Walnut that you can get on the cheap.

Have you ever rented through Craigslist? You can sort by price, pets and # of bedrooms (as well as word searches like "campus" "bus" or "cats"). Check it out:

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/apa/
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are lots of houses along South Walnut that you can get on the cheap.

Have you ever rented through Craigslist? You can sort by price, pets and # of bedrooms (as well as word searches like "campus" "bus" or "cats"). Check it out:

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/apa/

I keep forgetting them....yes, CL is a good source.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

geezer, if you're willing to ask around, I'd be extremely grateful. Thank you for looking into it!

I hadn't thought about Craigslist LA. Good idea!
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Copper Beech has really nice apartments. They are away from campus, but the buses still run out there. One bedroom is $665 funished includes, basic extended cable, internet, and trash removal.

http://www.cbeech.com/bloomington/rates.htm

Hope it helps
    I was ready for Josh Smith to go to Indiana, but he went to the NBA. I am ready for him to come to Indiana once again.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by tinsley#11 View Post
    Copper Beech has really nice apartments. They are away from campus, but the buses still run out there. One bedroom is $665 funished includes, basic extended cable, internet, and trash removal.

http://www.cbeech.com/bloomington/rates.htm
    I just stumbled upon Copper Beech (as well as the Village at Muller Woods, Canterbury Woods, etc.) a few days ago while riding my mountain bike in that area. I didn't even know those apartment complexes were even back there. It was kind of bizarre to find acres and acres of apartments I never knew existed.

They look pretty nice, but they should, as they are new. I imagine they'll look like Colonial Crest or Willowbrook in twenty years. Basswood, which is the first complex when coming in from 2nd St/Bloomfield Rd is getting up there in age and probably best avoided unless they have some kind of sweet deal.

I've been meaning to ask you OM, did you want to live near students, not near students, or did you not have a preference?

Quote Originally Posted by Dabney Prood View Post
    I've been meaning to ask you OM, did you want to live near students, not near students, or did you not have a preference?
    I'd prefer to stay away from rowdy undergrads as much as possible. I'm not opposed to living on the outer edges of Bloomington at all, though near the bus line is a major plus since we only have one vehicle.

Having never been to Bloomington, how long does it take to get from "outer edges" of Bloomington to the campus?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Which outer edge? And by what mode of transport?

The town isn't that big, but a lot of apartments claim to be "nearby campus" and are anything but. Biggest offenders are the apartments way out past the mall. technically they are sort of near the farthest eastern dorms but I wouldn't ever want to walk to a class in the heart of campus from there (and I enjoy a good walk).
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I don't have any particular part of Bloomington in mind. I have been told the west side of Bloomington may be more my style, or areas near Bryan Park. I've always expected that I would be driving to class anyway, so being a 15 minute drive away won't bother me; I did that for years as an undergrad anyway so I'm used to that.

In my opinion, there are parts of the west side can be really depressing. the closer to downtown the better when it comes to westside.

Most of my houses were on the south side near Brant Park or along Walnut around or past where Walnut and College reconnect. that area's pretty nice, and still close enough to bike anywhere you want to go.