Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutler to the Bears

Default Cutler to the Bears

Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Broncos have agreed in principle to trade Jay Cutler to the Bears.
    The Broncos website has confirmed the story. According to the Chicago Sun Times, the Broncos will receive Kyle Orton, first-round draft picks in 2009 and 2010, and a 2009 third-round draft pick. The Bears will also receive the Broncos' fifth-round pick this year.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...141981&id=3608

This is a great trade for the Bears as they still have a decent defense. They need some playmakers at WR now. Maybe they'll go after Torry Holt?
    Last edited by Moses; 04-02-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cutler to the Bears

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...141981&id=3608

This is a great trade for the Bears as they still have a decent defense. They need some playmakers at WR now. Maybe they'll go after Torry Holt?
    Bears gave up quite a bit to get Cutler. But it was a risk worth taking. The Bears haven't had a Pro Bowl QB since Jim McMahon.

Bears also signed Orlando Pace today too.

Character Matters.

It looks to me like the Bears got themselves a very talented but whiny prima donna who needs to be fawned over.

If he matures, then they have a deal. If not, then he's just another Jeff George, looks good in every drill and every situation UNTIL THE HEAT IS ON AND YOU NEED TO WIN and he continues to build on his 17-20 career record. Being a great player in this league is a lot more than having some physical skills. It's understanding schemes, working hard, being a teammate and a leader. Being coachable. Setting the example. What makes anyone think Jay Cutler can do ANY of that?

I just love the cry "we got a pro bowl quarterback!"

These guys are recent pro bowl quarterbacks:

Derrick Anderson
    Marc Bulger
    Vince Young
    Jake Delhomme
    Michael Vick
    Kordell Stewart
    Elvis Grbac
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 04-02-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Character Matters.

It looks to me like the Bears got themselves a very talented but whiny prima donna who needs to be fawned over.

If he matures, then they have a deal. If not, then he's just another Jeff George, looks good in every drill and every situation UNTIL THE HEAT IS ON AND YOU NEED TO WIN and he continues to build on his 17-20 career record. Being a great player in this league is a lot more than having some physical skills. It's understanding schemes, working hard, being a teammate and a leader. Being coachable. Setting the example. What makes anyone think Jay Cutler can do ANY of that?

I just love the cry "we got a pro bowl quarterback!"

These guys are recent pro bowl quarterbacks:

Derrick Anderson
    Marc Bulger
    Vince Young
    Jake Delhomme
    Michael Vick
    Kordell Stewart
    Elvis Grbac
    Jay Cutler is much better than all of those guys, although I don't think you can really count Marc Bulger as a bad QB. He is shell shocked from taking all the hits he has taken over the past few years because of St. Louis's abysmal offensive line.

Cutler was very good this past year given the circumstances in Denver. Their defense was arguably the worst in the league and they had ZERO running game (7 starting tailbacks all went to the IR). Not to mention the guy was playing with freaking diabetes for his first 2 years in the NFL. He has already proven he can read defenses and play. If you only watched him against the Patriots, then your view may be skewed but I think this is a great pickup for the Bears. Cutler is a young franchise QB..something the Bears haven't had since McMahon.

Cutlers career stats (3 years): 62.5% completion, 9024 Yards, 7.4 YPA, 54 TDs, 37 INTS.
    Jeff George first 3 years: 56.2% completion, 7025 yards, 6.2 YPA, 33 TDs, 40 INT.

Cutler may not be the leader some would like him to be, but that is about the only comparison you can make between Cutler and George.
    Last edited by Moses; 04-02-2009 at 10:15 PM.

The Bears gave up too much in my opinion. Cutler hasn't really proven anything, and the Bears offense is horrendous.

That, and I think Orton is going to do well in Denver.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Holy cow. The Cutler hate here is a bit over the top I think. Geez.

That said, 2 1st's + 3rd + Orton. Wow. Expensive.

-- Steve --

Mood

Wow, that is a lot to give up for a young QB. Don't get me wrong, I like cutler and I rode him through the last years fantasy football season, but damn that is a lot to give up.

Mood

The got Orlando Pace as well. Looks like they're really trying to beef up their offense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037565

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    Wow, that is a lot to give up for a young QB. Don't get me wrong, I like cutler and I rode him through the last years fantasy football season, but damn that is a lot to give up.
    I thought that at first but to give up Orton isn't saying much, plus the Bears had a compensatory pick in the third round so they still have a third after the trade. Essentially for the Bears it's two first rounders for Cutler, but if you consider that they'd burn of of them on a QB either this year or next, then it's actually a pretty good trade for both teams...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This will be fun. The problem in Chicago has not been quality QBs. Its the utterly unreasonable expectations of Bears fans.

Super Bowl?

A couple of bad games and he'll be tossed into the same heap as Grossman, McNown, Stewart, etc. I think Cutler is a good QB but with what the Bears gave up (a pair of #1's and Orton), he can't live up to the expectations.

As someone who dislikes the Bears more than any other sports franchise except the Celtics, I'm looking forward to watching this unfold from up close.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This will be fun. The problem in Chicago has not been quality QBs. Its the utterly unreasonable expectations of Bears fans.

Super Bowl?

A couple of bad games and he'll be tossed into the same heap as Grossman, McNown, Stewart, etc. I think Cutler is a good QB but with what the Bears gave up (a pair of #1's and Orton), he can't live up to the expectations.

As someone who dislikes the Bears more than any other sports franchise except the Celtics, I'm looking forward to watching this unfold from up close.
    The Bears OLine looks greatly improved and Matt Forte will command some attention in the box and even if the Bears don't upgrade on the outside, they will still be significantly better than last year. With that said, I still don't think they will win a championship this year..or for the foreseeable future. So yes, you are right. The impossible expectations of Bears fans will ultimately drive the team down at some point.

The only thing that pissed me off about this whole thing was on NFL Live yesterday one of the analysts said the Bears were his hometown team so he would fit in. Cutler is from Santa Claus where Holiday World is and is only like 2 hours at the most from Indy. Nowhere close to Bears territory.

Super Bowl?

It's not just Bears fans that has unreasonable expectations. Same exist for Cubs and Bulls fans. That city can't let down whatever success they have had. I can't recall how many times they've mentioned the 85 Bears, and how they're the greatest team ever.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    It's not just Bears fans that has unreasonable expectations. Same exist for Cubs and Bulls fans. That city can't let down whatever success they have had. I can't recall how many times they've mentioned the 85 Bears, and how they're the greatest team ever.
    Yeah, I live close to Chicago so I've heard about the 85 Bears aplenty. I'll even hear 19 year old kids, who weren't even born for another five years, bragging about them.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Too much for Cutler. If it were one 1st and a future 2nd I would be ok. Two first round picks and a third? Wow that is a lot. I say give Cutler a pass this year. Next year will determine whether or not the pick was good.

What do you think the Colts can get for Manning?

2 First Rounders & A Defensive Stud.

Cutler will be fine b/c he has Matt Forte running the ball. The Bears should look to sign Marvin or Holt maybe both. Pace is good but injury plagued.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't say Cutler will be fine. He needs to learn a new offense, get used to new players, their O-Line, even with the acquisition of Pace, is questionable, and has no weapons for receivers. He had Royal and Marshall in Denver, thats a nice duo right there. Plus Denver only gave up 11 sacks last year, thats not going to happen in Chicago. Matt Forte is good, but he is now discovered so teams will game plan accordingly to him where last year there was little known on him. Cutler has his work cut out ahead of him. The Bears probably will win the division, but they almost did last year as well. I think they gave up too much for Cutler. If Cutler lives up to the hype then i see it as a good trade for both teams.

Super Bowl?

Really so guys like Cade McNown, Kordell Stewart, Moses Moreno, Steve Stenstrom, Henry Burris etc, etc were not poor quality QB's but merely the victim of fan expectations? That is laughable.

Jim Harbaugh did okay in Chicago. He got ran off by Dave Wannstedt, not the fans.

Erik Kramer did okay for himself too. He got ran off by injuries, not the fans.

Now Bears fans in the city of Chicago are mainly meatheads but to blame them for the ongoing QB failures is just letting your own hate of the Bears to cause you to say something patently ridiculous.

As far as the Bears giving up a lot.......I don't see it. Especially considering the spotty history that Jerry Angelo has drafting players in the 1st round. He does his best work later in the draft. So they lose the #18 pick this year and a pick next season likely to be anywhere from the same spot or lower......maybe in the 20's. Is THAT really a lot to give up for a guy with the potential to be a franchise QB? Seems reasonable to me. Especially when the Bears still have EIGHT draft picks left to use in the 2009 draft alone.....yet the ESPN talking heads act like they just made a Herschel Walker or Ricky Williams trade. Okay. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    As far as the Bears giving up a lot.......I don't see it. Especially considering the spotty history that Jerry Angelo has drafting players in the 1st round. He does his best work later in the draft. So they lose the #18 pick this year and a pick next season likely to be anywhere from the same spot or lower......maybe in the 20's. Is THAT really a lot to give up for a guy with the potential to be a franchise QB? Seems reasonable to me. Especially when the Bears still have EIGHT draft picks left to use in the 2009 draft alone.....yet the ESPN talking heads act like they just made a Herschel Walker or Ricky Williams trade. Okay. lol
    I agree, they gave up three high picks (not in the same draft) for a guy who already made the pro-bowl and is already a top-10, if not top-5, QB in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I agree, they gave up three high picks (not in the same draft) for a guy who already made the pro-bowl and is already a top-10, if not top-5, QB in the NFL.
    Agreed. I feel like anyone whose hatred for the bears isn't like irrationally steamy can tell that this is a pretty solid move.... especially when you considered that they would've probably wasted the equivalent of those picks trying to find his equal. If he ends up being that franchise guy for them, then no way in hell do they regret this. And if he doesn't, then I don't think you can regret at least taking the risk. Cutler's as good as it gets, in terms of obtaining a franchise QB without actually trading for someone who is already at that level. (Which is probably impossible, anyway.) I look forward to watching him in Chicago... I love it when the teams I dislike are strong, anyway.

(And sure, Denver has a ton of picks right now, but I bet they'd rather have their stud QB back in a second--McDaniels is going to look like an *** if he doesn't hit with those picks.)
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    So they lose the #18 pick this year and a pick next season likely to be anywhere from the same spot or lower......maybe in the 20's. Is THAT really a lot to give up for a guy with the potential to be a franchise QB?
    When you consider how guys like Belichick are always looking to get rid of their first picks.... not at all.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

The Bears didn't give up anything vital - and there's a good chance they got something vital. Cutler may crash and burn but based on last season I don't see why anyone would predict that. This is a good deal for Chicago IMO.

Too bad - I don't like the Bears. But it was a very good move.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Hmmm .... first round picks aren't vital?

Strange logic.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    The Bears didn't give up anything vital - and there's a good chance they got something vital. Cutler may crash and burn but based on last season I don't see why anyone would predict that. This is a good deal for Chicago IMO.

Too bad - I don't like the Bears. But it was a very good move.
    Last season he had wide recievers but now he'll have a Devin Hester with bad hands and no one else. He will crash and burn only because he won't have good wr's.

Of course last season he didn't have a defense but its not like chicago's D has been living up to its past here lately.

Pacerfan,
    1st round picks are vital but also costly if they don't work out. Check out Ryan Leaf and a number of others that cost alot and don't pan out.
    I mean its not like chicago is known for its excellent drafting of offensive players.