Thread: The future of the automotive industry

Default The future of the automotive industry

Carbon Motors is a new car company that is gearing up to build cars for just one kind of customers: police departments.

Their car will be more expensive than a Dodge Charger off the lot, but competitive with the standard cars'price once the special components are added (which will all be standard on a Carbon E7).

The Carbon E7 will have a hose-down back seat to wash off blood, semen, drugs, spit, urine or whatever collects back there.

It will have a top speed of 155 mph.

It will be more fuel efficient than any current police car in use.

It will be rated to absorb a rear impact of 75 mph (whatever that means!)

The rear doors swing wide open and open toward the back, making it easier to shove uncooperative perps into the back.

Gun racks are built in, making weapons more accessible, and the glass and front panels are bulletproof.

The cars will never fall into private hands the way Steve Earle's father bought his drug-smuggling big black Dodge "at an auction at the Mason's lodge." Instead, whichever police department buys a Carbon will guarantee to either sell it to another police force or else sell it back to Carbon to be dismantled.

Right now, the town leaders of Connorsville are trying to lure Carbon to build there at the site of the former Visteon/Ford plant. Best of luck to them.

American ingenuity is a great thing.

http://www.carbonmotors.com/
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The future of the automotive industry

These are slick.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can't believe no one thought of this before.

Ok, so this is original. But how is this improving things? Are law-enforcement vehicles really be the big problem? I don't know. This is cool but shouldn't we be diverting that great American ingenuity to bigger picture things like fuel-efficient, environmentally-friendly, cheap cars for consumers?

I have some questions but they probably belong on UnPD. Putnam, can you post this there... or care if I copy and paste you there?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have some questions but they probably belong on UnPD. Putnam, can you post this there... or care if I copy and paste you there?

-Bball

Feel free. See you over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexnom
    This is cool but shouThis is cool but shouldn't we be diverting that great American ingenuity to bigger picture things like fuel-efficient, environmentally-friendly, cheap cars for consumers? ldn't we be diverting that great American ingenuity to bigger picture things like fuel-efficient, environmentally-friendly, cheap cars for consumers?

Absolutely. The reason I'm cheered by this is that almost as soon as the Big 3 seem to be teetering and people seriously ask if the end is in sight, bright new ideas spring forth. This is only one of many innovations we'll see (I hope.) The Tata Nano is another.
    Last edited by Putnam; 04-03-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Ok, so this is original. But how is this improving things? Are law-enforcement vehicles really be the big problem? I don't know. This is cool but shouldn't we be diverting that great American ingenuity to bigger picture things like fuel-efficient, environmentally-friendly, cheap cars for consumers?
    Motorcycle makers long ago realized that occupying niche markets is a far more profitable situation.

Hummer was a fantastically profitable company before lashing itself to the broad consumer auto industry Moby Dick style.

Nothing wrong with niche products, IMO.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Motorcycle makers long ago realized that occupying niche markets is a far more profitable situation.

Hummer was a fantastically profitable company before lashing itself to the broad consumer auto industry Moby Dick style.

Yep, niche products are really solid.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post

Oh, I agree. But, to me, is this really that news worthy. Good for this company. Kudos. But the problem is much bigger and I don't think this even represents a step in the right direction because it's not even targeting consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Oh, I agree. But, to me, is this really that news worthy. Good for this company. Kudos. But the problem is much bigger and I don't think this even represents a step in the right direction because it's not even targeting consumers.
    Actually, I think it is newsworthy because I'm glad I know what the hell that thing will be when one comes screaming behind me when I try to get home from work too fast on the Beltway.

Mood

Only downside I see is that when the inevitible repairs for the vehicles roll around, there's only one supplier. I work in supply chain management and believe me, when there's only one supplier, you pay triple and sometimes quadruple what you would in a normal situation. In fact, the supplier can basically charge you whatever they want because they know you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Only downside I see is that when the inevitible repairs for the vehicles roll around, there's only one supplier. I work in supply chain management and believe me, when there's only one supplier, you pay triple and sometimes quadruple what you would in a normal situation. In fact, the supplier can basically charge you whatever they want because they know you need it.
    They 'could' address that concern off the bat with making some parts 'compatible' (interchangeable) with existing parts. And are they going to build these from the ground up, all inhouse? ....Or will they utilize Ford/GM/Chrysler/etc for motors, transmissions, etc?

OTOH, maybe the idea of overpriced, one of a kind and one place to get the parts IS part of the business model.

Interesting thought...

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

All I know is from the company's own website.

Carbon contends that they can make the whole car at a competitive price. GM has economies of scale, but GM also has horrendous legacy costs and many kinds of inefficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    the supplier can basically charge you whatever they want because they know you need it.

They could gouge the customer once. But then police departments would always have the option to go back to standard passenger cars. I'm sure the company knows they won't succeed in the long run if the don't give good value. Police Department buy new cars every few years, so they'll rely on repeat business.

I'm optimistic about the fresh start at a more appropriate scale. I imagine there are dozens of innovations of both product and process that can come out now.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

So, I would really have to be convinced about safety and comfort. As a realtor I have put about 65000 on my car in two years. These features outweigh all others. And I cannot change my driving habits...it's just part of the business.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

I'm optimistic about the fresh start at a more appropriate scale. I imagine there are dozens of innovations of both product and process that can come out now.
    If they make a solid product then it shouldn't need many replacement parts...

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I read somewhere that the most profitable tobacco company was "American Spirit." You see, they came along WAY after all of the health lawsuits and way after all the distributorships and labor and farming agreements.

They were able to make their own deals and start fresh. Combine that with their marketing as the "healthy" cigarette for the "sophisticated" crowd (both totally laughable ideas when you think about them) and you've got a monster business.

I just like it when someone sees a need in the marketplace and fills it.

I'm a graphic designer that does not ever bother with regular design clients. Instead, I found a niche and squeeze everything I can out of it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n29362875/

A large component of the U.S. economy is the result of successful small businesses. To illustrate the role that small businesses play in the U.S. economy, statistics found in small business textbooks (e.g., Scarborough & Zimmerer, 2003) indicate that small businesses account for the following:

* 98.5 percent of all businesses;

* 75.8 percent of the nation's new jobs;

* 52 percent of the private sector workforce;

* 51 percent of private sector GDP; and

* 47 percent of business sales.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Meanwhile.....

Bright Automotive, Inc. in Anderson is counting down to its big unveiling of a plug-in electric car. The car will be revealed in a couple weeks. First cars should be available in 2012.

http://www.brightautomotive.com/reveal.html

Quote Originally Posted by Inside Indiana Business
    An executive with Anderson-based Bright Automotive Inc. believes central Indiana is the "silicon valley of the electrification of vehicles." The comment from Vice President of Marketing and Sales Lyle Shuey comes as the plug-in hybrid vehicle-maker prepares for the unveiling of its concept car this month in Washington, D.C. He says the EV1 by General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM) and the powertrain systems for other major electric drive vehicles were developed in the state. Shuey says Bright Automotive decided to locate in central Indiana to tap into that expertise.

Read More http://www.insideindianabusiness.com...m.asp?ID=34924

I'm going to be real interested in the Nano car - real interested. I have a 1993 Thunderbird with a Mustang 5.0 GT HO engine with a modified 303 cam. The Nano would be an interesting addition.
    Last edited by ABADays; 04-08-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Today the concept for the Bright Idea is revealed. The focus is on light delivery vehicles and corporate fleets. Here's a link to the website.

http://www.brightautomotive.com/

As noted before, the company is in Anderson. good luck to them.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)