Thread: Cyclic Redundancy Check

sweabs

Default Cyclic Redundancy Check

aaa
    Last edited by sweabs; 08-08-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cyclic Redundancy Check

A cyclic redundancy check message pertaining to your hard drive means it's a real good time to back up all your data, preferably to a brand new hard drive.

I think you can syscheck (or is it chkdsk?) to mark bad sectors so they are not used, but there are probably more bad sectors on the way, since you have already experienced some, and presuming that the hard drive is a few years old. That's my experience, anyway.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is it a Toshiba?

sweabs

aaa

Mood

Back up your data. I had this a while back on a 60GB hard drive. Try a reinstall of Windows, if you continue to get the error, the hard drive is failing.

Mood

http://www.schrockinnovations.com/chkdsk.php

It's my experience that onces a hard drive starts to go, it's going. The above link describes how to "fix" a hard drive, but the thing is, once you do that, you should really check its integrity frequently, and scanning a disk is stressful to it anyway.

Something else you can do -- if you know somebody who has a copy of spinrite 6.0 (or are able to scrounge one up somehow) you can boot up with that and run a scan. One of the nice things about spinrite is that it will tell you if running a scan is likely to damage the disk furthur.

sweabs

xx

Mood

Call Dell back and tell them that you want a new hard drive and don't take no for an answer. Tell them that you are not an idiot, that you've done your research, that you know the error means a failing hard drive, and you will not let them give you the runaround until your warranty expires. If they say no, ask for their boss, and their boss's boss so on and so forth. Seriously, you cannot let them tell you no. They are just trying to get by until it's out of warranty.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A Cyclic Redundancy Check is an end-to-end error checking mechanism for data that's being exchanged. When a data packet or frame is created by a networked device (server, PC, router, etc), a mathematical calculation is done during the packet or frame creation. The resulting number is tagged onto the end of the packet or frame prior to sending. When the frame or packet is processed at the receiving device, a similar mathematical calculation is made as the packet is processed. The number that results is compared to the CRC number on the trailer of the received packet. If the two numbers don't match, the packet is discarded by the receiving equipment, because apparently, some of the bits have been damaged / degraded in transit.

Some applications will resend the lost packets (because their receipt is not acknowledged by the receiving equipment, back to the transmitting equipment.) Other applications are 'fire and forget.' They send it once, don't expect an acknowledgement, and can't resend it anyway...generally this is true of real-time apps, like VOIP, webcams, etc.

I can see how this might be relevant to a utorrent download, but I don't know what it has to do with your hard drive.

Related error-checking mechanisms....Frame Check Sequence, checksum.

Does this CRC error happen with any other apps....browser, P2P programs, e-mail? Does it always happen with utorrent or only with a particular (possibly damaged) file you're after?

If yes, always happens with utorrent, but not other programs...reinstall utorrent. Seems logical.

If only a particular torrent you're trying to get, and no prob with others, then forget that torrent...it's damaged goods.

I AM NOT A HARDWARE GUY (except Cisco routers). If a CRC error is relevant somehow to hard drive function, I wouldn't know it.

P.S. I gotta tell you, I thought I was hallucinating when I saw CRC as a thread topic on PD.
    Last edited by kester99; 04-18-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

A new drive is, what, 40 bucks? Don't screw around with trying to get them to replace it, buy a new drive right away, along with a $15 external enclosure. Take your existing drive out, put it in the enclosure, put the new drive in your Dell, install windows from scratch, copy your data over, live happily ever after.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

I see a lot of stuff out there on the web on this subject which does keep mentioning hard drive probs...I could see it being a HD prob if you get this constantly for large file downloads. But for one prticular file, I'll stick by my guns...as likely, or more likely, to be a bad file download, than bad sectors on the disk.

Found this as a 'best answer' on one site. You might try it.

"The file is corrupt. It most likely cannot be recovered. Try going into your my computer and right clicking on the local disk and select properties.

On the tools tab you will see a check now button. Click it.

Check off both boxes to repair automatically and to detect bad sectors. If the file can be repaired, this will fix it, along with your bad clusters etc.."

And you ought to be backing up your data, anyway, so this may be a good scary motivation.
    Last edited by kester99; 04-18-2009 at 11:03 PM.

sweabs

c

Bad CRC can be just a transmission error. My old 2400 baud modem got them occasionally.

I might blame utorrent, not your drive.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

I think you can have small bad clusters on the disk without it meaning the drive's going bad. These would be more likely to become apparent when trying write a really large file to the disk. That could result in the CRC error. If you kept getting a whole lot of them, it could indicate the drive is starting to fail in its attempts to read (or write to) the disk, even if the disk sector is good...which would be the failing HD scenario.

A chkdisk can't hurt. Also the technique I quoted above. Back up your HD soon, and from time to time, to an external drive...that's just good hygeine, there.
    Last edited by kester99; 04-18-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Call Dell back and tell them that you want a new hard drive and don't take no for an answer. Tell them that you are not an idiot, that you've done your research, that you know the error means a failing hard drive, and you will not let them give you the runaround until your warranty expires. If they say no, ask for their boss, and their boss's boss so on and so forth. Seriously, you cannot let them tell you no. They are just trying to get by until it's out of warranty.
    That's too much work. Do this and you'll have a new drive on the way in 15 minutes:

support.dell.com
    click on "Chat Online with Technical Support"

Tell them you are a dell certified technician. Tell them the computer does not recognize your hard drive. You tried it in another computer and it doesn't work. You tried another hard drive in your computer and it does work.

If they ask you to do anything else say you already did that, and it didn't see the drive or didn't work.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Bad CRC can be just a transmission error. My old 2400 baud modem got them occasionally.

I might blame utorrent, not your drive.
    Yeah, that's true....it's probably too late, but it's possible you could have been able to delete the file that was causing the problem and redownloaded it. I can't imagine you really have a 30 GB file - most torrent downloads are divvied up into multiple files of zipped-ness (usually rar, if not zip inside a rar.)

Sorry for not thinking of that earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    I think you can have small bad clusters on the disk without it meaning the drive's going bad.
    I remember in the old days receiving a new disk drive and it had a diagnostics report attached indicating the bad clusters.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

the other day i had a power outage while i was using utorrent...was downloading some large files...afterwards when the power came back on it took my PC a good 15 minutes to load windows after the HD was making ticking sounds...thought my hard-drive was fried...so i did a chkdsk and then defragged it and all is well again...

not sure if this was just a quick fix or if it did its job in fixing it up for good...