Thread: Artest's year in review, amazing stat

Default Artest's year in review, amazing stat

Pacers were 32-7 when Artest scored more than 20 points

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/artest_page_0304.html

2003-04 in Review:
    Ron Artest
    Height: 6-7 Weight: 246 Age: 24 (11/13/79)

Regular Season: Voted the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year by the media ... He was the leading vote-getter for the NBA All-Defensive team, as voted on by NBA head coaches. ... Also named to the All-NBA Third Team, his first selection to an All-NBA squad ... Named to the Eastern Conference All-Star team for the first time in 2004, he averaged career-highs of 18.3 ppg and 5.3 rpg…he was second on the team in scoring and fourth in rebounding. ...

In his first All-Star experience, he had seven points, three rebounds, three assists and a steal in 17 minutes at L.A., 2/15. ...

Named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week for the Week ending Nov. 9 ... He also won the same award for the week ending Mar. 28. ...

He scored 20+ points 37 times this season and the Pacers were 32-5 in those games (.865)…that is the highest winning percentage for any team when one of its players scores 20+ points. ...

He had three games with 30+ points, including a career-high 35 points at Orlando, 3/26…his 35 points against the Magic was the most by any Pacers' player this season. ... He connected on a career-high 75 3-pt FGS this season, third most on the team. ...

His 272 assists ranked second best on the team. ... He had surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb, 2/20, but was back in the lineup less than two weeks later. ... He had four double-doubles. ... He had a season-best and career-high tying 12 boards twice: at Atlanta, 11/1, and vs. Miami, 3/28. ...

He topped Indiana in assists 22 times, including 11 of the first 30 games…he had a season-high nine assists vs. Washington, 12/9, tying his most ever in the NBA. ...

He was one of just three players in the NBA with over 150 steals and he averaged 2.08 spg. ... Second on the team with 50 blocked shots this season, he rejected a career-high tying four vs. Philadelphia, 11/28. ...

In the 55 victories that Artest has played, his defense has been a large part of the team’s success and has helped lead the Pacers to a franchise record in victories…in those 55 games, the players that Artest has guarded averaged only 8.6 points per game and shot 35.0 percent from the floor while Artest was on the floor for an average of 36.9 minutes per game (77 percent of the game)…the opposing starters only averaged 11.5 FGA per game.

Playoffs: Struggled in the Eastern Conference Finals against Detroit, shooting just .298 from the field and .194 from the 3-point line ... Averaged 14.5 points and 8.3 rebounds against the Pistons ... In the second round against Miami, he led the Pacers with an average of 21.3 ppg in the six-game series, leading the team in scoring three times ...

That included playoff career highs of 28 points and eight rebounds in Game 4. ... Was also the leading scorer in the first-round sweep of Boston, averaging 20.3 points ... He did not see action in Game 2 vs. Boston, 4/20, due to a league-imposed suspension for leaving the area of the bench during an altercation in Game 1, 4/17.

Plus-Minus: Third on the team during the regular season at +6.3 per game, he was second in the playoffs at +4.1 per game but dropped to ninth during the conference finals at -2.2 per game.

Contract Status: Signed through 2007-08, when he has the option to become a free agent

Analysis: Showed what he can do when he keeps his emotions in check, achieving new levels of stardom and respect. He remains a very intense player who can occasionally try to do too much by himself, particularly when the team is struggling. An absolute beast as a one-on-one lock-down defender, he uses quick hands and feet, combined with uncanny anticipation, to frustrate opponents.

Is still learning the limits of his offensive game, he either needs to become a far more accurate 3-point shooter or limit his attempts. When he posts up or attacks the basket, uses combination of strength and quickness to full advantage.

[edit=24=1088529290][/edit]

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Artest's year in review, amazing stat

UB...what did Ron's assist per game stat look like for the PO's? Did it go up or down? Did it remain the same? Not trying to flame Ron but thegreats find other ways to contribute when their scoring is missing and I'm curious to see if that was the case with RA.

Very intersting read BTW.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thats why we keep Ron.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers go as Ron goes. For whatever reason he is the barometer on this team. If he starts throwing up wild shots, the team follows. If he is aggressive to the bucket, the team follows. If he passes the ball inside to JO, the team follows. Like him or hate him he is the leader of this team on the floor. I think JO is becoming the leader off of the floor but Artest is the leader on it.

And as pacer2425 said 'that's why we keep Ron.' Those stats at his relatively cheap salary and he being locked up for 4 years, the Pacers would be nuts to trade him. If they do then there is A LOT of things going on behind the scenes.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

His 272 assists ranked second best on the team

And that is why we keep Ron. For those who think Artest can't pass.

And he's only going to get better with his shot selection.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Ron's APG went down in the playoffs, but everyone's did. This was due an awful lot to the horrible shooting percentage and low scoring.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The reason that he had 272 assists is because he has the ball more than any other player. I don't think he CAN'T pass, but too many times he WON'T pass when he should.

I hope he gets traded for a player of equal value because his trade value is very high. I think it would probably be beneficial to team chemistry, depending on who they got in return.

Chambizzle

I think frustration was also a factor in the Detroit series... if you can't really get into a groove you just start throwing up shots to try and get atleast something going.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness

The reason that he had 272 assists is because he has the ball more than any other player. I don't think he CAN'T pass, but too many times he WON'T pass when he should.

I hope he gets traded for a player of equal value because his trade value is very high. I think it would probably be beneficial to team chemistry, depending on who they got in return.

The ball was in Artest's hands because the offense ran better through him most of the time. One huge problem I have in trading him is that you aren't likely to get equal value in return because of his relatively low salary. To get a player of equal value the other team would have to take one of our bad contracts and that might prove difficult.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No one else on the team will step up and shoot, thats why he needs the ball. Someone has to make somthing happen.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I keep going back to the fact that Artest is too good, too valuable to trade away. I know all the arguments against Ron, but I also know that when Ron plays badly the pacers struggle, and when Ron does not play at all, the pacers look like a different team.

[quote user=Unclebuck]I know all the arguments against Ron, but I also know that when Ron plays badly the pacers struggle, and when Ron does not play at all, the pacers look like a different team.
    [/quote]

So, when he struggles he sinks the whole squad and the "different team" was 7-2.....hmmmmm.....

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I keep going back to the fact that Artest is too good, too valuable to trade away. I know all the arguments against Ron, but I also know that when Ron plays badly the pacers struggle, and when Ron does not play at all, the pacers look like a different team.
    I feel the same UB , But I been avoiding all the Ron threads possiable , I got worn out trying to defend Ron. Sometimes I wonder if Ron wouldn not have came back so quick from his surgery would we still have won 61 games , assuming he was out til atleast the playoffs like alot of people were thinking.

It probably is just spinning off another question in a thread , but I think it's a legit question. My answer is no we dont win 61 games and more like 45 -50 games is what we would have finshed at which would have put us at a much lower seed in the playoffs.

I am sure some may strongly disagree with me , some may agree with me ...no matter which way it's just a observation and if you can honestly say we would have won 61 games without Ron , well I won't say it

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster
    I feel the same UB , But I been avoiding all the Ron threads possiable , I got worn out trying to defend Ron. Sometimes I wonder if Ron wouldn not have came back so quick from his surgery would we still have won 61 games , assuming he was out til atleast the playoffs like alot of people were thinking.

It probably is just spinning off another question in a thread , but I think it's a legit question. My answer is no we dont win 61 games and more like 45 -50 games is what we would have finshed at which would have put us at a much lower seed in the playoffs.

I am sure some may strongly disagree with me , some may agree with me ...no matter which way it's just a observation and if you can honestly say we would have won 61 games without Ron , well I won't say it

Or what would've happened had Ron not had the surgery at all until after the season?

-Bball

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster

Or what would've happened had Ron not had the surgery at all until after the season?

-Bball

Bball, I don't see how that would have effected the team one way or the other.

I always said that Ron Artest alone is worth 15 wins. Meaning if he were not able to play for a whole season the Pacers would have won 15 fewer games. Of course if they trade him for someone who can help the Pacers some of those 15 losses would be offset.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

How many wins is JO worth?

Tinsley?

Reggie?

Al?

All others?

I don't know how to quantify this.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222

Tinsley?

Reggie?

Al?

All others?

I do.

J.O is proably worth 18

Tinsley - 10

Reggie - 8

AL - 11

Sorry, I don't buy that anyone can slap a # of wins on a player at ALL.

Tinsley?

Reggie?

Al?

All others?

I do.

J.O is proably worth 18
    Tinsley - 10
    Reggie - 8
    AL - 11
    So the rest of the team is -1?......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

You take J.O and Artest off the current Pacers team, how many wins would this team get. Maybe 30.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat

Tinsley?

Reggie?

Al?

All others?

I do.

J.O is proably worth 18
    Tinsley - 10
    Reggie - 8
    AL - 11
    So the rest of the team is -1?......
    Allright, you've taken the bait once.

How many games does each player help the team lose per season (poor performance, occasional lackluster efforts, injury/ suspension propensity)?

JO?
    Ron?
    Al?
    Reggie?
    Tinsley?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

[quote=Jay@Section222][quote=MagicRat][quote=Unclebuck]

Allright, you've taken the bait once.

How many games does each player help the team lose per season (poor performance, occasional lackluster efforts, injury/ suspension propensity)?

JO?
    Ron?
    Al?
    Reggie?
    Tinsley?

Jay my numbers figure in the net effect of a player. So when I say Artest is worth 15 wins, I mean net 15 wins. So maybe he wins 20 and loses 5, so plus 15