Thread: Vescey rips Vitale

Default Vescey rips Vitale

I found this mildly entertaining

LOWDOWN ON DICKIE DUNCE: AWFUL, BABY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VITALE STATS:
    Dick Vitale took his act to the NBA Draft on ESPN last week — and proved he's as much an airhead talking about the pros as he is on the college beat.

June 29, 2004 --

FAR be it from me to segue into summer without summarily slapping someone. Today's vacuous victim is none other than Dick Vitale, whose credibility lies somewhere between Bill Clinton and Baghdad Bob.

For reasons known only to ESPN, the cable claptrap decided Vitale's putrid presence was necessary during the NBA Draft. Evidently the network felt obliged to offer up someone with the same odious opinions (minus subtitles) as Stephen A. Smith, "Fraudulent" Fran Fraschilla and Jay Bilas, whose impropriety regarding Josh Smith (No. 17, Hawks) already was noted in this space, and whose impartiality re Kris Humphries warrants serious questioning.

When the Jazz selected the Minnesota frosh at No. 14, Bilas savaged him and his father on what is supposed to be a joyous celebration for the draftees, their kids and their parents. What ever happened to full disclosure? Why didn't Bilas, a former Dukie, inform ESPN's audience the 6-foot-9 forward had bailed on his original commitment to play for Blue Devils? Think Bilas might have an ax to grind?

Vitale, meanwhile, college basketball's all-time shill/sellout (Billy Packer and Digger Phelps are demanding a recount), recited from his same tired tome. It's the play-for-pay guys' fault ... from the early entrants to the lack of fundamentals to the poor quality of panty raids.

Not to suggest Vitale isn't well-versed to warble on the pros. After impressing only himself (and fooling only Bill Davidson) at the U. of Detroit —where Terry Tyler and John Long carried him like overburdened burros — he coached (for want of a more truthful word) the Pistons when they really were the Bad Boys.

Try Vitale's forgettable foray (34-60) in one-plus seasons. How overmatched was Dickie Dunce? The '79-'80 Pistons, an outfit he personally assembled from which he was dutifully dismissed after a dozen games (4-8), wound up 16-66, the toilet paper standard for that franchise's futility.

The only banner that spittoon ever lifted was a white flag.

Thus, after failing miserably on the sport's toughest terrain, Dickie Dunce was more than qualified for his next gig ... airhead of the airwaves. You know what they say: Those who can, do; those who can't, dolt.

Upon further review, Vitale is correct.

The NBA is the reason a guy like Bob Huggins (this generation's Bob Boozer) is allowed to run roughshod over the once-proud U. of Cincinnati program. Though give Huggins credit for one thing — he has managed not to get fired, even though his players' GPA and his own blood-alcohol level are apparently at about the same number.

The NBA is the reason Ohio State felt compelled to expel revered Jim O'Brien. Illegal payments to student/athletes? Details, details.

The NBA is the reason the U. of Georgia had no choice but to turn itself in. That is, after the High Holy Harricks — the father, a long-time Vitale friend, and son — turned the Bulldogs into bullspit with money transfers and "tests" that one could pass while in the womb.

The NBA is the reason St. Bonaventure's reputation became so tainted with phony college credits from phony colleges even priests are howling.

And on (Baylor's Dave "Ignorance Is" Bliss), and on (St. John's), and on (Missouri). I don't know how David Stern sleeps at night.

Having Vitale expectorate about the NBA Draft is like getting Michael Moore as keynote speaker at the Republican National Convention ... 'cept Moore may actually present a substantiated fact or a valid argument or two.

For example, Dickie V's criticism of the 76ers' choice (No. 9) of Andre Iguodala was hopelessly nearsighted and simple-minded. ("How can you pick a kid who only averaged 11 points over Luke Jackson [No. 10, Cavaliers], who's a great perimeter shooter, blah, blah, blah..." he bellowed.)

Well, for one thing, the 76ers already flaunt a great, young 3-point shooter named Kyle Korver.

No doubt this is news to Vitale.

More important, Iguodala averaged 12.9 points, 8.5 rebounds and five assists for the self-sacrificing, well-balanced Arizona Wildcats, a recurrent characteristic of a Lute Olson-coached team. The 6-6 aerodynamically sophisticated soph was the first player in the school's storied history to lead the team in rebounding, assists and steals in the same season. He was also the only Pac Ten player to lead his team in scoring, rebounding, assists and assists-to-turnover ratio.

Surely this is Vitale's introduction to these stats.

More perceptively, when junior Richard Jefferson declared himself eligible for the 2000 draft (No. 13, Rockets) he'd averaged 11.3 that season (one-tenth of a point higher than his average over three years), 5.4 rebounds and 2.7 assists for the self-sacrificing, well-balanced (Gilbert Arenas, Luke Walton) Arizona Wildcats.

Does Vitale sense something along the lines of a trend?

Jefferson turned out to be a pretty good pro/Olympian/rising All-Star without padding his personals in college. Iguodala is expected to enjoy a similar NBA career by everyone except Dickie Dunce, who doesn't seem to grasp the draft concept of picking the best pro prospect, not the guy with the most seductive numbers.

Then again, Vitale is correct in one regard: The sanctity of college basketball. Over the past 25 years, not one institution has sunk to hiring him.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vescey rips Vitale

(somebody didn't get hired to be an analyst)

I'm reminded of the saying..."pot meet kettle"...although I can't say I'm too dismayed to see them at each others throat.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    (somebody didn't get hired to be an analyst)

I'm reminded of the saying..."pot meet kettle"...although I can't say I'm too dismayed to see them at each others throat.

That is EXACTLY what I was going to say!! I'll take Vitale's knowledge over Vecsy ANY day.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd take UB's over either of them frankly. to UB.

I don't listen to either guy's talk.

I was outraged with Dick at the draft. He brought up the Carmelo thing in the middle of the draft. What was he thinking? I hope he doesn't do that ever again.

I thought the entire setup was a little low class on the part of ESPN; Vitale was just icing on the cake.

In the past when Hubie would make comments about the prospects he would almost never slam a kid he would just mention his weaknesses and areas he needed to improve. You would never hear Hubie say a kid has a great chance of being a bust; he has too much class to say something like that about a young talented kid. Also TNT was always in the studio away from the action letting the kids have their moment of glory. For ESPN to have that cast of characters hooked up so everybody in the arena could hear their commentary talking about kids being busts etc.,, while they were walking to the podium just wasn't right IMO. I hope next year they put the commentators back in the booth away from the event.
    [edit=73=1088525781][/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    I don't listen to either guy's talk.

I was outraged with Dick at the draft. He brought up the Carmelo thing in the middle of the draft. What was he thinking? I hope he doesn't do that ever again.
    Yeah that was dumb.

I remember UB was mad before the draft when he found out this fool would be on the show, I said he wasn't that bad but now I see what everyone means.

I think the draft should start at 10pm from now on.

ESPN, the National Inquirer of sports media.

Peter Vescey, who makes his living running other people down.

Dick Vitale, a shrill loudmouth know it all.

Jay Bilas, a man who's own agenda includes ruining other peoples day.

The media ripping the media, and now we are talking about it, and paying attention to them, which is what they want. Controversy sells, think Madonna, think Rodman.

King Solomon once said they is nothing new under the sun.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Vescey is a blowhard but he did make some good points. Especially about the 76ers not drafting Jackson and the Ricard Jefferson comparison.

I don't like that Vitale seemed to come to the draft with an agenda. He is the voice of college basketball and he obviously doesn't like it when High Schoolers go straight to the pros. The person I was most upset with is Bilas. When he voiced his issues with Josh Smith over the PA at the event I thought that was uncalled for. The kid could hear everything he said and I believe Smith even glared at Bilas.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I apparently missed what Bilas said/ did.

Can somebody give me the whole story or if it was discussed already, just point me to it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    ESPN, the National Inquirer of sports media.

Peter Vescey, who makes his living running other people down.

Dick Vitale, a shrill loudmouth know it all.

Jay Bilas, a man who's own agenda includes ruining other peoples day.

The media ripping the media, and now we are talking about it, and paying attention to them, which is what they want. Controversy sells, think Madonna, think Rodman.

King Solomon once said they is nothing new under the sun.
    Totally agree.

Let's face facts, ESPN's draft coverage is putrid compared to TNT, just like their game and studio coverage.

Dick Vitale's act can get old mighty quick, but I'll tell you one thing, he still has more basketball knowledge in his big toenail than Vecsey can ever hope to have.
    ---
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    I apparently missed what Bilas said/ did.

Can somebody give me the whole story or if it was discussed already, just point me to it.
    When Josh Smith was walking to the podium Bilas said, "Out of this draft, he is the most likely to be a bust." Everybody in the arena heard it including Smith.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

ESPN has not been worth a flying #%&* since the mid 90's. TNT just has it going on from their game coverage to their draft coverage. Too bad this contract is going to wear on us all.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming
    ESPN has not been worth a flying #%&* since the mid 90's. TNT just has it going on from their game coverage to their draft coverage. Too bad this contract is going to wear on us all.
    You mean you don't think Stuart Scott is a serious sports journalist?

ESPN and SportsCenter has been **** since Keith and Dan were so popular - everyone tried to be them, and no one was. So what we are left with is everyone with crappy catch phrases and nothing that funny.

Vitale's act is tired - he is a moron - I am not a Vescey fan, but he has it right here. Watch a Vitale game - then watch one a week later. A year later. 10 years later. Notice what he says, because it is always the same - and never about the game on the court.
    [edit=401=1088555894][/edit]
    Heywoode says... work hard man.