Thread: Tmac to Houston, read it and weep

Default Tmac to Houston, read it and weep

Finally: Magic deal McGrady for Francis
    Deal reportedly will be announced Wednesday

By Greg Sandoval

Updated: 11:34 p.m. ET June 28, 2004

The prospect of playing alongside high school star Dwight Howard and an easier road to the playoffs were enough to persuade Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis to drop his objections to a trade that would send him to the Orlando Magic for NBA leading scorer Tracy McGrady, according to his agent.

The Magic is expected to announce the trade, which was held up a week after Francis balked at playing for the last-place team, on Wednesday, according to a source with knowledge of the deal. Francis, a three-time all-star, is flying to Orlando today to meet with the Magic's management, including President John Weisbrod, the man who persuaded Francis to move to Orlando.

Under the terms of the trade, the Magic will send guard McGrady, forward Juwan Howard and guard Tyronn Lue to the Rockets for Francis, guard Cuttino Mobley and center Kelvin Cato, said the source.

Upon hearing news of the pending trade, Francis initially said he disliked the idea of playing for a team that was rebuilding. His representatives began making inquiries about which teams would be interested in swapping for Francis in the event he was traded to the Magic.

But in a Thursday-night phone conversation, Weisbrod sold Francis on the team's draft acquisitions, playoff chances and appreciation of his talents, according to Jeff Fried, Francis's agent.

"They could have got anyone for Tracy McGrady," Fried said. "That impressed Steve about how highly the Magic thought of him."

McGrady finished this past season with a 28-point scoring average, tops in the NBA, and Francis averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 6.2 assists to join Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson and Grant Hill as the only players in NBA history to average at least 15 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists in each of their first five seasons.

Francis, an all-American at the University of Maryland, also was impressed with the players Orlando has obtained since the end of last season.

The Magic chose Atlanta high school sensation Howard, a 6-11 power forward, with the first pick in the draft. Scouts say Howard, a skilled scorer, shot blocker and rebounder, has the talent to become an NBA star.

The Magic also obtained St Joseph's guard Jameer Nelson, the NCAA's player of the year last season, from the Denver Nuggets.

The addition of Francis, Howard and Nelson could help the team compete in the realigned NBA next season. The Magic will be in the same division, what many predict will be the league's weakest, with the Washington Wizards, Miami Heat, Atlanta Hawks and expansion Charlotte Bobcats.

Of the five teams, only the Heat made the playoffs last season.

2004 The Washington Post Company

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5320088/

Default Re: Tmac to Houston, read it and weep

This is probably best for our team.

We won 61 games and we would have had to trade alot of key parts to those wins, I think most of us [I know I did] got caught up in the hype of getting McGrady.

Fact is we are better off just trading Al for a shooting guard and may a couple other moves here and there.

Zesty

Snickers, Shade, and Pig Nash may need to be talked down off the ledge now...

I think I can smell JOneal7's T-Mac jerseys and other memorabilia burning down in Florida...

It's about Tmac'ing time!! :

*removes the noose from my neck*
    I can breathe again!! Now where's Ron Artest? I need to give that guy a hug....
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I can smell JOneal7's T-Mac jerseys and other memorabilia burning down in Florida...
    Speaking of which, what happened to that guy? I haven't seen him post in a while.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well now the Pacers can try to trade for Jamal Crawford we can maybe get him for just Al.Rather than trading our whole team for just T-mac.Now don't get me wrong I'd love to see T-mac in an Indy uniform but he just isn't worth JB,Ronnie,Al,and Tinsley.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We still need a new SG. Hopefully we will be able to acquire that.

Hip-Hop ,Guitar & Martial ArtsEnthusiast
    Tony Jaa could beat you up with his pinky.

An early partial transcript of tomorrow's Larry Bird remarks to be released to the media after the trade:

My fellow Pacers fans, our long national nightmare is over.

Our team works; our great Pacers organization is one of players and not of superstars. Here the Team rules. But there is a higher Power, by whatever name we honor Him, who ordains not only building with superstars but role players, not only having starters but having a bench, too.

As we bind up the internal wounds of Tmac-gate, more painful and more poisonous than those of foreign wars, let us restore the golden rule to our offseason process, and let brotherly love purge our hearts of suspicion and of hate.

In the beginning, I asked you to pray for me. Before closing, I ask again your prayers, for Tracy McGrady and for his fans. May our former target, who brought dismay and strife to dozens of posters, find peace for himself. May God bless and comfort his wonderful groupies and illegitimate children, whose love and loyalty will forever be a shining legacy to all who bear the lonely burdens of the NBA superstar on a ****** team.

I can only guess at those burdens, although I have witnessed at close hand the tragedies that befell the Boston Celtics after I left, and the lesser trials of other franchises.

With all the strength and all the good sense I have gained from life, with all the confidence my family, my friends, and my dedicated staff impart to me, and with the good will of countless fans I have encountered in recent visits on 40 scouting trips, I now solemnly reaffirm my promise I made to you last July 11th: to not only improve this team's talent, but it's chemistry as well, and to get this team back to the Finals.

The Donnie helping me, I will not let you down.

Thank you.
    ---

[edit=67=1088488339][/edit]
    [edit=67=1088488517][/edit]
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Well done!
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Snickers, Shade, and Pig Nash may need to be talked down off the ledge now...
    Why whatever do you mean? ted:

But seriously getting mobley and Cato would be even better in my opinion.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh well i really would have liked to had T-Mac, but hte price is to steep. We still can get a quality sg from maybe the clips, seattle, bulls, or warriors.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I think this past season, and especially the series with Miami and Detroit, highlighted what we need to do in the off-season. And that wasn't to gut the entire team for the likes of T-Mac. A tweak or two is all we need. I wish Donnie and Larry would have made the adjustment mid-season, but I'm sure they wanted to see how far this team would take us (as unbalanced as it was), and had it not been for the Wallace trade, I have no doubts now that we would've made it to the finals. And if it wasn't for a couple of untimely injuries, we may very well have won it all.

Tweak, people, tweak. Not a major overhaul. Although I still wouldn't be surprised to see Al and Ron involved in seperate trades.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    Tweak, people, tweak. Not a major overhaul. Although I still wouldn't be surprised to see Al and Ron involved in seperate trades.
    I agree that if Al and Ron are in separate trades this summer that it is just a 'tweak'. Not sure that many other posters on here would agree with that assessment.

Trading Al for rookies and projects is not a 'tweak'. (I'm so glad that didn't happen.) However, getting better balance and improving chemistry (if it really needs improving) is.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

"Read it and Weep"

All of Detroit's fans are safe to back away from the ledge now.
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

Finally.

Good move for the Rockies, not so good for the Magiis.

edit: OT: Jay, did you ever check your Private Messages?
    [edit=53=1088524307][/edit]

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Finally.

Good move for the Rockies, not so good for the Magiis.

edit: OT: Jay, did you ever check your Private Messages?
    Yeah, I replied just as you were posting this.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

And the good news is that having the selfishness of Stevie "What Have You Done For Me Lately?" Franchise in the East isn't going to suddenly make the Magic into a Finals team.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5320088/

The Magic is expected to announce the trade, which was held up a week after Francis balked at playing for the last-place team, on Wednesday, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.
    Later in the same article:
    Weisbrod, however, told the Houston Chronicle that he wasn't aware Francis was coming to visit.

"I do not know at this point whether we will have him in town or not," Weisbrod said. "If we do, it will be something that he's interested in doing.

"I didn't ask him to come to town, and that's probably why he's a little further down that road and telling people that. But if he wants to come to town, we're certainly happy to spend the time."

Weisbrod also claimed he was considering other deals for McGrady.

"I guess there's a total of four (offers under consideration) right now," Weisbrod told the Chronicle.
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

[quote user=Kegboy uid=67 fid=1 tid= rid=13]An early partial transcript of tomorrow's Larry Bird remarks to be released to the media after the trade:
    [/quote]

You had me until
    I can only guess at those burdens, although I have witnessed at close hand the tragedies......
    Everybody knows Larry would've said, "I seen at close hand the tragedies....."

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    You had me until
    I can only guess at those burdens, although I have witnessed at close hand the tragedies......
    You got that right. In Larry's defense (and much to my shock) he used correct English throughout his speech he gave at our lunch with David Stern.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    [quote user=Kegboy uid=67 fid=1 tid= rid=13]An early partial transcript of tomorrow's Larry Bird remarks to be released to the media after the trade:

You had me until

[/quote]

I was waiting for someone to say the grammer was too good to be Bird. Oh well, what can I say, the man's no Gerald Ford.
    ---
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!