Thread: Griffin, Hansbrough, Blair, Curry And Harden Named To All-America Team

Default Griffin, Hansbrough, Blair, Curry And Harden Named To All-America Team

Blake Griffin was the only unanimous selection for the AP All-America team.

He was joined by senior Tyler Hansbrough of North Carolina, sophomores DeJuan Blair of Pittsburgh, James Harden of Arizona State and junior Stephen Curry of Davidson.

Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet led the second team with 238 points and was joined by three other juniors, Ty Lawson of North Carolina, Luke Harangody of Notre Dame and Jodie Meeks of Kentucky, along with senior Jerel McNeal of Marquette.

The third team had seniors Terrence Williams of Louisville, Toney Douglas of Florida State and Sam Young of Pittsburgh, along with juniors Sherron Collins of Kansas and Gerald Henderson of Duke.
    By JIM O'CONNELL
    The Associated Press
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...WPU9QD978FPVG0
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Griffin, Hansbrough, Blair, Curry And Harden Named To All-America Team

man im surprised Curry made it
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Default Re: Griffin, Hansbrough, Blair, Curry And Harden Named To All-America Team

We'll probably end up with Curry.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Quote Originally Posted by indricity View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We'll probably end up with Curry.
    I honestly have faith in Bird's drafting. He did a good job picking Fred Jones (at the time), Granger (which everyone passed on), Shawne Williams had a lot of potential but his mind was elsewhere, and Rush was a great pick.

I hope like hell, that if we don't luck into a top 3 pick, that Curry falls to us ... He has an amazing 3 point shot, good court vision, and has that "killer instinct" AND he IS clutch...

VERY clutch ...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I hope like hell, that if we don't luck into a top 3 pick, that Curry falls to us ... He has an amazing 3 point shot, good court vision, and has that "killer instinct" AND he IS clutch...

VERY clutch ...
    his defense is horrible though. Having good scorer (Rush and Granger) around a PG like Curry, who isnt a pass first PG and loves to shoot, will only hurt Granger and Rush's game

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

I honestly have faith in Bird's drafting.

He did a good job picking Fred Jones (at the time)

I'm glad you do!

Fred Jones was Zeke's boy.

his defense is horrible though. Having good scorer (Rush and Granger) around a PG like Curry, who isnt a pass first PG and loves to shoot, will only hurt Granger and Rush's game

ok I see your side of the argument...

BUT ..

not only can better defense be taught ..

But what if .... in everything else, he was slated to be the hidden gem.... the "next" clutch star , like Reggie , Steph's pops , or even a 1st tier player..?

I most definitely can see the potential , whether or not it happens... who knows? lol ... But it sure would be nice to be on the receiving end of that "once in every 6 to 8 years , type of player" wouldn't it?
    I mean what I have seen the kid play , plus all the stuff I have seen in videos, I see the potential for sure , plus he has the chip on his shoulder to be better than his dad was ..

on a side note..

Which is why I am so high on Rubio ... I believe he WILL be that once in a decade player..
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    ok I see your side of the argument...

BUT ..

not only can better defense be taught ..

But what if .... in everything else, he was slated to be the hidden gem.... the "next" clutch star , like Reggie , Steph's pops , or even a 1st tier player..?

I most definitely can see the potential , whether or not it happens... who knows? lol ... But it sure would be nice to be on the receiving end of that "once in every 6 to 8 years , type of player" wouldn't it?
    I mean what I have seen the kid play , plus all the stuff I have seen in videos, I see the potential for sure , plus he has the chip on his shoulder to be better than his dad was ..

on a side note..

Which is why I am so high on Rubio ... I believe he WILL be that once in a decade player..
    He just seems like one of those PG that will take shots from RUsh and Granger and just hurt their game. He has the mentality of Arenas as a shoot-first. If we're looking for a true-PG, hes far from it

He just seems like one of those PG that will take shots from RUsh and Granger and just hurt their game. He has the mentality of Arenas as a shoot-first. If we're looking for a true-PG, hes far from it
    Maybe not a true point guard, but neither is jack. I think if you put some scorers around Curry he would be more than happy to pass the ball. This year he was pretty much out there by himself getting triple teamed. I would be all for drafting Curry. I think he's a special player and this draft is weak, so why not go ahead and pick the best pure scorer out there.

If we don't pick him, I say we go with Blair. We don't have a lot of toughness inside and I think he could bring that to the 2nd unit. Quite a few people have been throwing around the Paul Milsap comparison with him.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeistyone View Post
    Maybe not a true point guard, but neither is jack. I think if you put some scorers around Curry he would be more than happy to pass the ball. This year he was pretty much out there by himself getting triple teamed. I would be all for drafting Curry. I think he's a special player and this draft is weak, so why not go ahead and pick the best pure scorer out there.

If we don't pick him, I say we go with Blair. We don't have a lot of toughness inside and I think he could bring that to the 2nd unit. Quite a few people have been throwing around the Paul Milsap comparison with him.
    Jack and Ford are more of a true PG than Curry is. Curry is more of a SG IMO

Curry is a shoot-first, turnover prone, 2-guard who will not be able to play the point in the NBA. I would seriously question taking him...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleReg View Post
    Curry is a shoot-first, turnover prone, 2-guard who will not be able to play the point in the NBA. I would seriously question taking him...
    I still think it's a problem with the talent around him at Davidson. Of course he's going to shoot first, the rest of his team is terrible. You put him with some other scorers he would probably give it up more.

I'm more thinking if we can't keep Jack then Curry would be a good option. I actually like Blair more. I'm scared we're going to take some 6'11 project that will take years to develop. We don't need that. We know Curry can score and we know Blair can bang and rebound. We may as well go with a sure thing, because after griffin I think those are the 2 closest to sure things.

Thumbs up Re: Griffin, Hansbrough, Blair, Curry And Harden Named To All-America Team

Quote Originally Posted by thefeistyone View Post
    I still think it's a problem with the talent around him at Davidson. Of course he's going to shoot first, the rest of his team is terrible. You put him with some other scorers he would probably give it up more.

I'm more thinking if we can't keep Jack then Curry would be a good option.

We know Curry can score and we know Blair can bang and rebound. We may as well go with a sure thing, because after griffin I think those are the 2 closest to sure things.

I agree ..

ALSO ...

Curry's range is "IMPECCABLE" !!
    Seriously .. He already has further than NBA range ..

Plus his release and shooting stroke and pure clutchness is something to behold ..

You may be able to search youtube and find some examples ..

I feel like Curry may have gotten so much of the "he's so overrated...his game won't translate...he's a two, not a one," that now he may actually be underrated and will become a viable NBA prospect for his draft position.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd love to draft Stephen Curry, I think he can handle the point in the NBA and shoot lights out. He has a great feel for the game, he could be a great player.

I'd be happier if we got a lucky ping pong ball bounce and draft Blake Griffin, but having a real shot at drafting Curry is exciting to me.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UncleReg View Post

Sure he puts up 28 and a half points a game so its fair to assume he shoots a lot and still shoots at 0.454, but the guy does average 5.5 assists per game. turnovers are a little high though.

That aside, I would like Patty Mills on the team but would rather he spend another year at college refining his raw skills. He has great speed but needs to learn to use it. And he has showed that he can mix it with the lower mock draft favorites liek he did against Curry a little over a week ago.
    Last edited by Haggard; 03-31-2009 at 04:12 AM.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I made the iniative to watch all the Davidson games that I could. When Curry went up against top teams with top defenders, his shooting suffered, immensely. He has a quick release, but when teams denied him the ball and forced him baseline his production was poor to the point that he hurt Davidson more.

Couple that with the fact that he looked injured and battered most of the season, and I think that he will be within range. It is all about workouts for this team. Hibbert got selected above others because of his workout with us.

Curry showed more of precise decison making. Listen his cast this year was not the same as last year. They had less scorers around him so defenses could shade more his way and double quicker. Also other players were not making the right choices. I believe that Curry could be a great bench scoring punch, to a below average starting point guard.

But being the biggest target for defenses in college basketball, he showed that he did not have the athleticism to overcome that attention. Thus he does not have the athlecticism for the next level to become the number one scoring option.

If this team selects Curry do you really think he would start next year?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by indricity View Post
    Sure he puts up 28 and a half points a game so its fair to assume he shoots a lot and still shoots at 0.454, but the guy does average 5.5 assists per game. turnovers are a little high though.

That aside, I would like Patty Mills on the team but would rather he spend another year at college refining his raw skills. He has great speed but needs to learn to use it. And he has showed that he can mix it with the lower mock draft favorites liek he did against Curry a little over a week ago.
    One thing that has changed Lawson's game is that he has learned to change speeds. He has always been able to go full out. But this year he has learned to go all out, slow, change direction slightly, and go all out.

Mills has to be able to do that to get into the top 20. So staying another year will help him.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Jack and Ford are more of a true PG than Curry is. Curry is more of a SG IMO
    If by "more of" you mean IS. Curry plays without the ball coming off screens much like Reggie and Rip and his dad. He's a PG by default in college, but not in the pros.

He is not a good defender and if the Pacers wanted to draft a PG at that spot they'd probably go with Maynor, though I wish they wouldn't. I'm not a fan of Lawson as a pro but I'd take him over Maynor.

Anyway, Blair is the real surprise at least in terms of pre-season rankings. He made a big name for himself over the course of the year. It's a minor upset that he knocked Thabeet out of the first team. I wonder if he'll still end up slotted to the Pacers. I would guess that workouts won't help him due to height and speed, but it's hard to be sure.

Meeks ahead of Henderson is also an upset IMO.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we are not fortunate enough to get Griffin in the lottery I would seriously consider Tyler Hansborough. The kid has done everything right. He stayed in school for his senior season, and seems to have a very high basketball IQ. It has been addressed on many threads in this forum that we need a PF. I think it is possible to resign Jack and draft Hansborough. I for one think that Tyler would be a great piece to add to the puzzle.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    If we are not fortunate enough to get Griffin in the lottery I would seriously consider Tyler Hansborough. The kid has done everything right. He stayed in school for his senior season, and seems to have a very high basketball IQ. It has been addressed on many threads in this forum that we need a PF. I think it is possible to resign Jack and draft Hansborough. I for one think that Tyler would be a great piece to add to the puzzle.

He is not Blake Griffin.

I do NOT want Curry. In the same way I didn't want Reddick when many here were begging to take him. I just don't see it happening for him at the NBA level.

-- Steve --

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

He is not Blake Griffin.
    I never said he was. I just think that he would be a excellent addition. He has basketball IQ, he is strong mentally tough player; somebody who strikes me as somebody who could be a leader. More than that: he is clutch. He seems like the kind of player that we need; a perfect compliment to Danny Granger.