Thread: Taking nominations for our next 4

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Taking nominations for our next 4

Jack
    Rush
    Granger
    ??????
    Hibbert

This seems to be the lineup many on here are seeing as the future--perhaps even our regular starters for next year.

So who is the 4? Who can we trade or draft to fill the spot? Is he already on the roster?

My nomination is for Elton Brand. Doubt we can get him, but that's my two cents. With Jack as a credible, solid point guard but not a shot creator like T.J., we need a four who can create his own shot.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Taking nominations for our next 4

In my insanely unlikely dream that I dare to let creep into my head I have next year's main roster as:

Jack
    Rush
    T Williams
    Granger
    Hibbert

With Williams as the point forward. It's a bit small but Williams is such a good defender and Danny is a good help defender/shot blocker.

Honestly for the bigs I'd just as soon wait till next year and get either Samuels or Jennings from Louisville who seem likely to return and then destined to dominate as they help lead L'ville back toward the top. Aldrich might not come out till next year either.

Unless you can trade Dun or Troy for a decent price you aren't getting PF help from someone else. It's frustrating.

After TJ got used like a revolving door by the Bulls today I've slipped into outright disgust with him. Maybe he can be moved, but I'm not sure who you could get. Maybe JO at PF? You have to admit that trading TJ for a replacement PF would be a bit ironic given the reasons Toronto did the deal.

I'd have to agree with NaptownSeth's five. Just consider this rotation:

PG- Jack/TJ
    SG- Rush/Daniels
    SF- Dunleavy/T-Will
    PF- Granger/Murphy
    C- Hibbert/Foster

That is a SOLID 10-man rotation that can easily play .500 ball next year. The flexibility alone is exciting. We've seen that Jack and TJ can play together at times. Daniels and Dunleavy can play the 2 or 3. Granger can play 2, 3, or 4. Foster can play 4 or 5. And if we get T-Will, he can play the 2 or the 3 in a point-forward role.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly for the bigs I'd just as soon wait till next year and get either Samuels or Jennings from Louisville who seem likely to return and then destined to dominate as they help lead L'ville back toward the top.
    I'm lovin' the attention youre giving to my Cards. But I would hold off all judgment on these two. Samuels has work to do and Jennings is sooo raw. They are only freshmen, and I think Jennings leaves after his third year while Samuels is about 55/45 on leaving next year versus staying on for a third year.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Troy Murphy...

He's not my ideal PF, but I don't see him going anywhere as long as Jim O'Brien is the coach. Troy has done a lot more then I ever expected this year and I can see that as a justification for the TPTB to keep him around. We can only hope to line up another front court backup for next year or hope McBob is ready for some more minutes.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo

Yeah....what Gnome said.....if we are talking beyond the 2011-2012 offseason...I have no clue. But for the next 2 seasons....it's gonna be Murphy....whether we like it or not.

But I think that we could get a decent PF that can play 20+ mpg if we trade Ford this offseason.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I would love the Pacers to make a move for Bosh. Raps might not be able to resign Bosh in 2010 so to ensure that you don't lose him for nothing, the Raps might move him this offseason.

Raps are in desperate need of a swing-man. We could pick up Quis' option and move Dunleavy, Quis, Hibbert and this years pick (top 5 protected) for Bosh. That way the Raps get a great swing-man (Dunleavy), expirer (Quis), a young center (Hibbert) and a pick.

I don't mind parting with the pick this season (if we can something good in exchange) because this year's draft doesn't seem too great.

Probably wont happen. By the looks of it, we're not going to be making any major moves until 2011 when Dunleavy, Murphy, Ford, and Tinsley contracts are up (assuming that we dont trade some of them)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I would love the Pacers to make a move for Bosh. Raps might not be able to resign Bosh in 2010 so to ensure that you don't lose him for nothing, the Raps might move him this offseason.

Raps are in desperate need of a swing-man. We could pick up Quis' option and move Dunleavy, Quis, Hibbert and this years pick (top 5 protected) for Bosh. That way the Raps get a great swing-man (Dunleavy), expirer (Quis), a young center (Hibbert) and a pick.

I don't mind parting with the pick this season (if we can something good in exchange) because this year's draft doesn't seem too great.

Probably wont happen. By the looks of it, we're not going to be making any major moves until 2011 when Dunleavy, Murphy, Ford, and Tinsley contracts are up (assuming that we dont trade some of them)
    I strongly think that there are at least 5-10 teams that can give better offers.

Quote Originally Posted by 31andonly View Post
    I strongly think that there are at least 5-10 teams that can give better offers.
    I strongly agree

Its merely a wish
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    In my insanely unlikely dream that I dare to let creep into my head I have next year's main roster as:

Jack
    Rush
    T Williams
    Granger
    Hibbert

With Williams as the point forward. It's a bit small but Williams is such a good defender and Danny is a good help defender/shot blocker.

Honestly for the bigs I'd just as soon wait till next year and get either Samuels or Jennings from Louisville who seem likely to return and then destined to dominate as they help lead L'ville back toward the top. Aldrich might not come out till next year either.

Unless you can trade Dun or Troy for a decent price you aren't getting PF help from someone else. It's frustrating.

After TJ got used like a revolving door by the Bulls today I've slipped into outright disgust with him. Maybe he can be moved, but I'm not sure who you could get. Maybe JO at PF? You have to admit that trading TJ for a replacement PF would be a bit ironic given the reasons Toronto did the deal.

Do you really want Danny taking a pounding battling bigs down low? I don't. That team would be very small, and since Hibbert isn't exactly Dwight Howard on the glass, Danny would be asked to do too much, JMO. Plus, we need Danny getting out in transition, not pounding the defensive boards.

I think we make due with Murphy for an other year. I do love Seths idea of getting Terrance Williams though, I just see him as a possible solution at PG more than a SF. A future perimeter of Williams, Rush and Granger could be lethal in 3 years. With Hibbert in the fold down low, possibly a new coach and tons of trade assets after next year, we would be in a great position. If Murphy continues his solid play, he could start becoming very attractive around trade deadline time next year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Yeah....what Gnome said.....if we are talking beyond the 2011-2012 offseason...I have no clue. But for the next 2 seasons....it's gonna be Murphy....whether we like it or not.
    Not necessarily, depends on who we draft and how they pan out, even though I'm not holding out any hope at least for next season that we'll have a PF better than Murphy on the roster.

Murphy is actually great as a 6th or 7th man and I think he likes Indy, I wouldn't mind trying to resign him to a much better contract (for us) after his contract now runs out. And showing how much I really think of Murphy, I wouldn't say the same about Dunleavy at this point, happy trails to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Troy Murphy...

He's not my ideal PF, but I don't see him going anywhere as long as Jim O'Brien is the coach. Troy has done a lot more then I ever expected this year and I can see that as a justification for the TPTB to keep him around. We can only hope to line up another front court backup for next year or hope McBob is ready for some more minutes.
    If we have no 4 to add and stick with Troy, I say we have to keep T.J. as the main point guard.

We just don't have someone to create without TJ. Perhaps Jack's rebuke last week will lead to TJ getting his head out of his backside. There does seem to be a change, or at least an attempt at a change, with T.J.

Roy could also be our offensive creator. Smits pretty much played that role for the 94-95 team. But I think Hibbert is at least two years away before being able to play such a key role.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Maybe if we could find a ninja, who is also a Pacers fan, we could get him to sneak into the draft lottery room and get the Pacers the first pick.

Griffin would fit in perfectly into that slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post
    Maybe if we could find a ninja, who is also a Pacers fan, we could get him to sneak into the draft lottery room and get the Pacers the first pick.

man I would be soooo happy if the Pacers won the lottery and got Griffin. Just imagine starting 5 of

Jack
    Rush
    Granger
    Griffin
    Hibbert

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    If we have no 4 to add and stick with Troy, I say we have to keep T.J. as the main point guard.

We just don't have someone to create without TJ. Perhaps Jack's rebuke last week will lead to TJ getting his head out of his backside. There does seem to be a change, or at least an attempt at a change, with T.J.

Roy could also be our offensive creator. Smits pretty much played that role for the 94-95 team. But I think Hibbert is at least two years away before being able to play such a key role.
    This is pretty much true of BRush, Hibbert and whoever we draft over the next 2 seasons......no matter what we do....we are 2 years away from truly competing and putting together a team that will compete for a Champion due to our Financial/Salary Cap situation. Players like Dunleavy, Murphy, Ford, Foster and whatever Vets that we sign until the 2011-2012 offseason will be the "stop-gap" solutions that help us compete until Granger, BRush, Hibbert and whoever we draft over the next 2 seasons take over after our Financial/Salary Cap situation improves. That's when we can truly start competing for a Championship.....until then....we're just trying to get over the hump while developing our future young core of players.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-29-2009 at 11:42 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Rush is ready now. I would have said that before the two 29 point games. His defense makes him a key factor already.

I'm not sure how much stop gapping these other guys are doing. We likely won't make the playoffs.

Murphy has played great, but we desperately need a defensive big with some kind of low post presence.

Foster cripples the offense down the stretch. He does make some great offensive rebounds, but that does not compensate for the offensive liabilities.

Rasho is done.

Hibbert needs a year or two, and even then he is a Smits-like finesse guy, not the tough big we really need.

There's got to be someone out there.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Rush is ready now. I would have said that before the two 29 point games. His defense makes him a key factor already.

I'm not sure how much stop gapping these other guys are doing. We likely won't make the playoffs.

Murphy has played great, but we desperately need a defensive big with some kind of low post presence.

Foster cripples the offense down the stretch. He does make some great offensive rebounds, but that does not compensate for the offensive liabilities.

Rasho is done.

Hibbert needs a year or two, and even then he is a Smits-like finesse guy, not the tough big we really need.

There's got to be someone out there.
    why not make a push for Amare? Suns seems to be playing a lot better without him

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

why not make a push for Amare? Suns seems to be playing a lot better without him
    Wouldn't that be a sign not to get him?

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Wouldn't that be a sign not to get him?
    not necessarily....Its giving Shaq more room in the middle and having 3 point shooters around him.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

not necessarily....Its giving Shaq more room in the middle and having 3 point shooters around him.
    Shaq is a good player, but I wouldn't include him in any long-term plans as a GM. Sure, he still plays at a high level, but how long before he doesn't get another ring and he hangs it all up?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Oh yeah. Troy Murphy next to a vibrant and seasoned Roy is an improvement. But we do need a young athletic PF to come in for 10-15 minutes and more when injuries occur.

I would like the Pacers to sneak in and get another pick. I think that Patrick Patterson would be serviceable off of the bench. And I really think we will have a shot at getting a quality guard with a 9th pick. Tyreke Evans, Terrence Williams, Jeff Teague, DeRozan, and Willie Warren are all possible. But they are not the Eric Gordans, Westbrooks, Augustins, and Mayos of last years draft. We really need a good swing man to come off the bench and help when Jack, Rush, and Granger need a break.

The need is a swingman (who would have thought this 3 years ago) and a front court player.

I don't know how much his height will be an issue in the NBA but I really like DeJuan Blair from Pitt. I haven't seen that kind of toughness out of a player in a long time. The guy sets bone crunching screens and gobbles up rebounds. We need some toughness on this team, IMO.

Sports Logo

Ahhh....ever the optimist....if not wishful thinking.

As you well know by now.....like pretty much any other Top player that other teams do not want....although we can make an offer to the Suns for Amare, it's very likely that every other Team out there can make a better offer since we do not have the necessary pieces that would warrant any rational attention from the Suns FO. We would have to gut our Team of our core players, future draft picks along with taking on some other bad contracts in order for us to come up with an offer that the Suns would have to consider trading an All-Star level player like Amare to us.

Murphy will be our 4 next year.

Draft- If we have number one pick Blake Griffen

Picks 9-13 Earl Clark, Aldrich, Patterson, or Monroe
    I think Earl Clark and Patterson are the most athletic of the above four names.

We will take which ever one is available and works out the best for the Pacers.