Thread: Minor 2009-2010 Offseason move - Foster for Bowen/Oberto

Sports Logo

Default Minor 2009-2010 Offseason move - Foster for Bowen/Oberto

I wouldn't consider this my whole plan to "fix the Pacers"....but it's one of the moves I have been pondering to give the FO some Financial Flexiblity over the next 2 seasons.

Pacers Out
    - Jeff Foster ( 2 year contract that expires after 2010-2011 season - owed $12.7 mil / $6.07 mil in 2009-2010 + $6.655 mil )
    Pacers In
    - Bruce Bowen ( 1 year contract that expires after 2009-2010 season - owed $4 mil )
    - Fabricio Oberto ( 1 year contract that expires after 2009-2010 season - owed $3.5 mil )
    Total Guaranteed $$ going out - $12.7 mil over 2 seasons
    Total Guaranteed $$ coming in - $7.5 mil over 1 season

Spurs Out
    - Bruce Bowen ( 1 year contract that expires after 2009-2010 season - owed $4 mil )
    - Fabricio Oberto ( 1 year contract that expires after 2009-2010 season - owed $3.5 mil )
    Spurs In
    - Jeff Foster ( 2 year contract that expires after 2010-2011 season - owed $12.7 mil / $6.07 mil in 2009-2010 + $6.655 mil )
    Total Guaranteed $$ going out - $7.5 mil over 1 season
    Total Guaranteed $$ coming in - $12.7 mil over 2 seasons

Draft ( 10th to 12th pick ) - DeJuan Blair ( or whatever PG or PF that you want )

Why for the Spurs? To improve their frontline and ( most notably ) get one of the better Rebounders in the league...which should improve their Offensive Rebounding #s ( which they are dead last in ). Foster is a decent Big Man Defender as well that can help Duncan on the defensive end while giving them a solid PF/c rotation of Duncan/Kurt Thomas/Foster. Foster is one of those "low risk/decent-solid reward" type players that fit the type of player that the Spurs have always looked that would only bolster their Frontcourt line.

Why for the Pacers? Partly for Financial reasons but also to provide the Pacers with some veteran depth at the GF and Frontcourt. One of the problems that the Pacers have over the next 2 seasons ( until the 2011-2012 offseason ) is our limited options to improve the team through Free Agency due to our Financial/SalaryCap situation ( over the next 2 seasons we will be very close to the Salary Cap ). Although this would clear about $6mil from the 2010-2011 Salary Cap, I'm not suggesting that it would allow us to free up enough Cap Space to make a huge Signing ( which I doubt that we would do anyway ) like what the Knicks and Heat are trying to do. Freeing up about $6 mil in Capspace would allow the Pacers FO to make some more "minor" signings/tweals ( something we can't really do now with the current 2010-2011 Offseason ) that would allow us to be continue to be competitive until the 2011-2012 Offseason when MurphLeavy/Ford/Tinsley's contracts come off the books. For the short term, the Pacers add another aggressive perimeter GF defender that can play 15+ minutes a game off the bench ( something we need to do anyway ) that is still a solid "stand in the corner and wait for someone to pass the ball" 3pt shooter. Oberto would be a stop-gap solution to give the Pacers a PF/C rotation of Murphy/Hibbert/Oberto/McRoberts/Blair for the 2009-2010 season while freeing up more minutes for Hibbert/Blair in the 2010-2011 season. Keep in mind that until MurphLeavy/Ford/Tinsley/Foster comes off the books, the Pacers are simply struggling to stay afloat. This move won't win the Pacers a Championship....but it would allow us to continue to build around our core players while allowing them to be competitive until the 2011-2012 Offseason when we can they can really make some major changes.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-26-2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Default Re: Minor 2009-2010 Offseason move - Foster for Bowen/Oberto

From a strict financial standpoint, it is a good idea. But I can see us getting more for Foster than Bowen and Oberto. I wouldnt mind packaging Foster and Ford for a PG
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From a strict financial standpoint, it is a good idea. But I can see us getting more for Foster than Bowen and Oberto. I wouldnt mind packaging Foster and Ford for a PG
    Not a bad option......but what starting PG could we get that wouldn't hurt us financially ( and don't say trading for BDiddy is an option )?

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Not a bad option......but what starting PG could we get that wouldn't hurt us financially ( and don't say trading for BDiddy is an option )?
    We could package up Ford and Foster and move them to GS for Ellis (I've mentioned this a lot). I know his contract is long, but hes a promising young talent. Ford's contract is going to be on the books till 2011 (hes most likely going to exercise his option), Monta is going to be making $11 million each year from now till 2014 summer. Ford will be making $8,775,00 next season and the season after. I dont mind adding about another $2,225,000 and getting a much better PG that could easily provide a scoring punch and consistency (with not being injured).

I agree that Monta's contract is long but hes definitely worth the salary. It would be good have 2 guys (Granger and Ellis) that we could go to late in close ball games to provide clutch scoring.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I would never - EVER - draft a 6'6 power forward with a 9-10th pick. BTW, i'd do this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    I would never - EVER - draft a 6'6 power forward with a 9-10th pick. BTW, i'd do this deal.
    Who are you talking about you wouldnt draft? DeJuan Blair?

Also, which deal are you referring to? The ones involving Ellis?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But I can see us getting more for Foster than Bowen and Oberto.
    Really? Foster is a declining C that is slightly overpaid. He can rebound fairly well still but that is a skill that rapidly declines as a player gets older and moves out of his prime. And as we all know, he brings virtually no offense to the table. Not to mention that San Antonio is taking on salary in this trade while we are basically shedding it in a year.

I also don't understand the fascination of people on this board with Monta Ellis. He's just a younger, healthier TJ Ford type player who is even less of a true PG. Sure he can score but his selfishness is detrimental to the team at times. If you don't like TJ than you won't like Monta. A move like that is just acquiring new players for the sake of acquiring new players.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Really? Foster is a declining C that is slightly overpaid. He can rebound fairly well still but that is a skill that rapidly declines as a player gets older and moves out of his prime. And as we all know, he brings virtually no offense to the table. Not to mention that San Antonio is taking on salary in this trade while we are basically shedding it in a year.

I also don't understand the fascination of people on this board with Monta Ellis. He's just a younger, healthier TJ Ford type player who is even less of a true PG. Sure he can score but his selfishness is detrimental to the team at times. If you don't like TJ than you won't like Monta. A move like that is just acquiring new players for the sake of acquiring new players.
    The fascination is that hes much of an improvement than TJ. Not only is Monta younger and healthier than TJ, hes also a lot better than TJ. Hes a better scorer, better passer, better defender, better 3 point shooter...the list can go on.

There is a reason with all this fascination. And it could be a realistic trade. Monta is unhappy in GS so now would be a nice time to make a move for Monta

Sports Logo

The fascination is that hes much of an improvement than TJ. Not only is Monta younger and healthier than TJ, hes also a lot better than TJ. Hes a better scorer, better passer, better defender, better 3 point shooter...the list can go on.

There is a reason with all this fascination. And it could be a realistic trade. Monta is unhappy in GS so now would be a nice time to make a move for Monta
    Overall, he maybe the better scoring combo-Guard.....but at best, Monta is a comprable passer and defender compared to Ford. Monta maybe any team's answer to a Starting SG....but so far, he hasn't proven that he can run the team as a Starting quality PG.

If you are to ask me which Player I would want on my team, I agree....it would be Monta over Ford.....but I seriously doubt that the Warriors would trade Ford+Foster for Monta. Besides, if the Warriors move Monta, they will probably ask for more and get more then Ford+Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Overall, he maybe the better scoring combo-Guard.....but at best, Monta is a comprable passer and defender compared to Ford. Monta maybe any team's answer to a Starting SG....but so far, he hasn't proven that he can run the team as a Starting quality PG.

If you are to ask me which Player I would want on my team, I agree....it would be Monta over Ford.....but I seriously doubt that the Warriors would trade Ford+Foster for Monta. Besides, if the Warriors move Monta, they will probably ask for more and get more then Ford+Foster.
    That could be true, but if GS and Monta arent on good terms and are willing to get rid of him that means they really dont have a PG and considered that there arent many PGs in the league that are tradable that **** point.

TO be honest, I posted this trade proposal on another site and GS fans loved it. Another thing to keep in mind is that Beidrin (spell?) has been quite injured this season, so GS could look for some help at the C spot