Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

  1. #1
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    I think the kid will be a respectable basketball player in the NBA. I would not mind seeing him in a Pacers uniform. Jeff Foster would be a great tutor for his development.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis-Far East
    Age
    43
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Tyler lacks size to play his position effectively in the NBA. Most
    scouts I believe are down on him because he is a dime a dozen player
    at the NBA level. He needs to show something to support the idea
    that he could actually get better than he is now. I just think most
    teams and scouts think he is at his ceiling. IMO

  3. #3
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Because nothing he does at the collegiate level will be possible for him at the professional level.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  4. #4
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because nothing he does at the collegiate level will be possible for him at the professional level.
    Not true.

    He will still be able to change most light bulbs without a ladder.

  5. #5
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not true.

    He will still be able to change most light bulbs without a ladder.
    Not really. He's only about 6'7.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  6. #6
    Member Phree Refill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tyler lacks size to play his position effectively in the NBA. Most
    scouts I believe are down on him because he is a dime a dozen player
    at the NBA level. He needs to show something to support the idea
    that he could actually get better than he is now. I just think most
    teams and scouts think he is at his ceiling. IMO
    6-9 250lbs is decent enough size for me. Especially considering Udonis Haslem is only 6-8 235. You can't tell me that any team he would get drafted by wouldn't like the energy he brings. I think he can work his way into any rotation within a few years in the league. As far as being a Foster type player, he already has a much more polished offensive game than Jeff. And if you still think his size is a concern, Brian Grant came into the league as a small forwad. At the end of his career he was playing center. I don't have any doubt that Tyler can bulk up a little more and hold his own against any other power forward in the league with the exception of Howard. The league has gotten smaller up front in the past 4-5 years anyways.

  7. #7
    Member Phree Refill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    All i'm saying is if he can be had in the second round of the draft, why not give it a shot? Second round is a toss up anyways.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis-Far East
    Age
    43
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6-9 250lbs is decent enough size for me. Especially considering Udonis Haslem is only 6-8 235. You can't tell me that any team he would get drafted by wouldn't like the energy he brings. I think he can work his way into any rotation within a few years in the league. As far as being a Foster type player, he already has a much more polished offensive game than Jeff. And if you still think his size is a concern, Brian Grant came into the league as a small forwad. At the end of his career he was playing center. I don't have any doubt that Tyler can bulk up a little more and hold his own against any other power forward in the league with the exception of Howard. The league has gotten smaller up front in the past 4-5 years anyways.
    True, the two things he has going for him is his strength and energy. Those two things will help. I would not consider him a PF of the future. A solid backup on a good team or starter on a scrub team. BCS
    Last edited by stevo; 03-25-2009 at 10:21 AM.

  9. #9
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All i'm saying is if he can be had in the second round of the draft, why not give it a shot? Second round is a toss up anyways.
    Because he won't be had in the second round. He'll be taken in the first. Hopefully, by somebody in the Central who isn't us.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  10. #10
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Tyler is very good at drawing contact and getting to the foul line as well. My only knock on him is that he needs to learn to pass the ball better out of the low post. I think he will be a very decent player in the NBA. His energy, work ethic, and aggresiveness will get him playing time in the NBA.

  11. #11
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,526

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    His advantage is his strength in college. He'll be going against guys in the pros who are bigger, faster, quicker, AND as strong. Haslem is a good example and Haslem would kill him.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6-9 250lbs is decent enough size for me. Especially considering Udonis Haslem is only 6-8 235. You can't tell me that any team he would get drafted by wouldn't like the energy he brings. I think he can work his way into any rotation within a few years in the league. As far as being a Foster type player, he already has a much more polished offensive game than Jeff. And if you still think his size is a concern, Brian Grant came into the league as a small forwad. At the end of his career he was playing center. I don't have any doubt that Tyler can bulk up a little more and hold his own against any other power forward in the league with the exception of Howard. The league has gotten smaller up front in the past 4-5 years anyways.
    He's "6-9" the same way Antawn Jamison is 6-9. In other words he's probably really about 6-7.5. Take listed heights with a grain of salt and use your eyes.

    His old teammate Brandan Wright measured out at 6-8.75 at the draft combine and if you saw the two standing next to each other, Wright was easily taller by a couple inches.

    Hansbrough doens't play the same way Udonis Haslam does. On top of all that, Hasnbrough will be 24 years old at the start of the next NBA season. He's much closer to being topped out in terms of ability and skill.

  13. #13
    Member Pingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,244

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by jcouts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark Madsen Pt. II if you ask me
    Your kidding right? There's a world of difference between Hansbrough's and Madsen's offensive skills.

  14. #14
    Member Phree Refill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's "6-9" the same way Antawn Jamison is 6-9. In other words he's probably really about 6-7.5. Take listed heights with a grain of salt and use your eyes.

    His old teammate Brandan Wright measured out at 6-8.75 at the draft combine and if you saw the two standing next to each other, Wright was easily taller by a couple inches.

    Hansbrough doens't play the same way Udonis Haslam does. On top of all that, Hasnbrough will be 24 years old at the start of the next NBA season. He's much closer to being topped out in terms of ability and skill.
    Same would go for Haslem then. Haslem is listed at 6-8 but in realtiy he's prolly on 6-7 6-6. You can make that argument for any player.

  15. #15
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His advantage is his strength in college. He'll be going against guys in the pros who are bigger, faster, quicker, AND as strong. Haslem is a good example and Haslem would kill him.
    The same knock was on E J last year and his strength has transferred over just fine in the NBA. What did you say about EJ last year going into the draft Speed?

  16. #16
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,526

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The same knock was on E J last year and his strength has transferred over just fine in the NBA. What did you say about EJ last year going into the draft Speed?
    I'm completely drawing a blank on who EJ is? At first I thought you meant Eric Gordon. Sorry I'm just blank.

    My point with Hansbrough is that alot of his offense comes from a shoulder into the defender and muscling up a short one hander. I think going against 6'10" guys who have 7'4" wingspan won't allow him to do that at the next level.

    I can see him being a garbage guy and a rotation guy, but I really do not see him being a starter in the league, ever. if I'm drafting in the lottery, I shooting for maybe a potential starter someday or at least the possibility.

    I mean garbage not as in being 20 points up or down, but as in a guy who scraps after loose balls and won't get an offensive play called for him all season.

  17. #17
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm completely drawing a blank on who EJ is? At first I thought you meant Eric Gordon. Sorry I'm just blank.
    EJ is Eric Gordon.

  18. #18
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,526

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    EJ is Eric Gordon.

    Thanks, I don't remember saying his strength wouldn't equate in the NBA, I do remember wondering about him being undersized height wise for a shooting guard. Same things I always wonder about "combo" guards in general, sometimes I think it means short shooting guard, which sometimes means when they go from college to the pros they aren't able to get their shot off and become ineffective. Not the case with EJ, he's really playing well, same for Ben Gordon. Maybe it's a Gordon thing? Anyway, if I said that I was wrong, obviously.

    Take any of my college analysis with a grain of salt. I thought Joe Alexander was going to be one of the top 3 players from last years draft and he hasn't gotten much time even.

    I also really like the Landry guy from Wisconsin who I guess isn't that much of a prospect this year either and Pat Patterson from Kentucky. So, there is a good indicator of my body of work, not so good.
    Last edited by Speed; 03-25-2009 at 12:44 PM.

  19. #19
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,519

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Now this is an off the wall post but I think a lot of Hansbrough hate (by fans not by scouts) is personal hatred and has nothing to do with his basketball skills. He is sort of this goofy looking, awkward frat boy that doesn't appear at least through the media to have much of a personality off the court. He doesn't fit in with the "typical basketball player" persona to me. And NO I'm not talking about race so there is no need to take it there.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    A lot of a teams appeal has to do with a toughness such as powerful dunks, lots of elevated height and a personality that is loud and attention getting. I think if you look at the Pacers they have a lot of scrappers who love to hustle, shoot jumpers and rebound. What they lack is the street appeal. The high wire acts and street playground style basketball. Fancy passing, spectacular dunks and don't **** with me attitude. I think Hansbrough fits the Indiana Pacers current team's style but that does not translate into heightened ticket sales or increased revenue. In all honesty I think that is what Herb should be looking for in this draft. Avoid the Thugs and focus on marketability.

  21. #21
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    He ran over my kid's cat!

    (No...wait...I'm a dog person....let's draft him!)

  22. #22
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,519

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of a teams appeal has to do with a toughness such as powerful dunks, lots of elevated height and a personality that is loud and attention getting. I think if you look at the Pacers they have a lot of scrappers who love to hustle, shoot jumpers and rebound. What they lack is the street appeal. The high wire acts and street playground style basketball. Fancy passing, spectacular dunks and don't **** with me attitude. I think Hansbrough fits the Indiana Pacers current team's style but that does not translate into heightened ticket sales or increased revenue. In all honesty I think that is what Herb should be looking for in this draft. Avoid the Thugs and focus on marketability.
    We have a lot of scrappers, yes, but at times scrapper is just a codeword for unathletic. And it is being exploited. Look what Pops Mensah Bonsu and Leon Powe did to our frontcourt.

    In short, we need a guy who can do this:

    http://www.nba.com/video/channels/to...nba/index.html

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same would go for Haslem then. Haslem is listed at 6-8 but in realtiy he's prolly on 6-7 6-6. You can make that argument for any player.
    Yes, I agree you can say the same thing about height for a lot of players, but I also said that Haslam doesn't play anything like the way Hansbrough plays.

  24. #24
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now this is an off the wall post but I think a lot of Hansbrough hate (by fans not by scouts) is personal hatred and has nothing to do with his basketball skills. He is sort of this goofy looking, awkward frat boy that doesn't appear at least through the media to have much of a personality off the court. He doesn't fit in with the "typical basketball player" persona to me. And NO I'm not talking about race so there is no need to take it there.
    Someone who just wants to play basketball and is good at it? Now we can't have that kind of riff-raff on our team.


  25. #25
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate

    I'm with Count and BRush.

    Foster won't be a great tutor for him, Sean May will be a great tutor for him.


    Speed - you weren't the only one that like Alexander....but I wasn't on your side. I just know several people thought I was nuts for not being all that impressed. Then again he's still young so he's not exactly done yet (same with Bayless).

    And I think PsychoT is much, much less applicable to the NBA than Alexander is/was.

    What move does he have, what thing does he do that gives him a clear advantage on any below par NBA guy? I don't think he has a shot, a post move, a lane move, the handles to take a guy or anything like that where he'll have an advantage on a guy and make their coach say "I've got to find a way to stop that from happening."

    I mean Curry is a guy falling, but unlike TylerH he does have that shot on the move coming over a screen or something. He can get that and teams will have to go out of their way to stop that from happening. They won't be able to let Joe Average just chase him around and have success with it. He's only falling because it seems like he can be stopped....if a team plans for it.

    I don't think teams will have to plan for Hansbrough.

    Haslem has a midrange shot that punishes people. It's better than average and has to be defended hard or it's free points.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-25-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Counting: It's Fun.
    By N8R in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 66943
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
  3. Player of the Year Hansbrough staying at UNC [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 04:51 PM
  4. I hate
    By ABADays in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
  5. Colts bidding on DE Tyler Brayton
    By Erik in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 04:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •