View Poll Results: What do we do with Ford?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Ford for at least next season

    3 8.33%
  • Let his contract expire in 2011

    8 22.22%
  • Trade him this summer

    25 69.44%
  • re-sign him after 2011

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

  1. #1
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,773

    Default Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    What do you guys believe is going to happen with Ford? Ford has a player option in 2010 for $8,775,000 that I'm sure hes going to exercise. Do you feel that we should keep Ford until 2011 or trade him earlier?

    I would love to trade Ford for Ellis. Supposedly Ellis isn't happy in GS. I would love him here in Indy. I would be a bit reluctant to touch Ellis' huge contract though, but its definitely worth noting him.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  2. #2

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    If we trade Ford we wont have a true point guard.

  3. #3
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,372
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Ha ha, I remember making that avatar...lol

    You're right, joeshmoe.

  4. #4
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    If they keep him they still wont have true point guard. He can't manage a game at this level. Just ask Mark Boyle, who has said so several times this season.


    (Actually Boyle has said this team wont move forward until they get a point guard who can manage a game. He never directly said T.J. Ford can't manage a game. But since they already have Ford and he's of this opinion I can assume he doesn't think T.J. can either)

  5. #5
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    It all depends on what we get out of the draft. I like Jack a lot, but I'm not sold on him as the PG of the future. If we could score a guy like Jennings in the draft, I'd be happy to let Ford go and roll with a Jennings/Jack/Diener 3-headed PG monster.

    I voted for letting him expire in 2011 because I think that is the most likely scenario.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  6. #6
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,773

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Does anyone have interest in Monta? Hes not liking his time in GS. Maybe we can move Ford and another for him?

    Any comments?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  7. #7
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone have interest in Monta? Hes not liking his time in GS. Maybe we can move Ford and another for him?

    Any comments?
    I wouldn't be upset if we traded for him, but I wouldn't be all that happy either. He's another small, scoring guard. If anything he's less of a true PG than Ford or Jack.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis-Far East
    Age
    43
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    TJ seemed to be a smart move at first but most nights all I see
    is someone out of control. JJ to me is starting to move his game
    to the next level. He is hitting big time shots. He's a better scorer
    than TJ, He's a better defender than TJ. With this team thats all that
    really matters when you have people like Murphy and Granger combining
    for 5 assists per game. I voted trade him this summer.
    Last edited by stevo; 03-25-2009 at 09:13 AM.

  9. #9
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    T J is fine. He has won us a few games this year. If we do draft a PG he will not come in and be the man.

  10. #10
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Actually Boyle has said this team wont move forward until they get a point guard who can manage a game.
    I love that Boyle actually has an opinion. When I watch the TV broadcast, I get the feeling that the guys are holding back a lot.

    I've thought this same thing about our PG's since Jackson left. You could never say with any certainty that Tinsley wasn't going to do something stupid. The same goes for Ford and Jack. At this point, I really want Diener in at the end of games if we have a lead.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,635

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    If I had to choose between the two, I would definitely take Jack over Ford. Not because he just had the recent fantastic game, but because I think he plays a little more under control and is a much much better defender. He is also much more affordable.

    The problem is that there is probably a 50% or greater chance that we will not have Jack next season. If that is the case, with the present financial state I really don't see us acquiring the PG we all want other than through the draft. Given that, then we need TJ at least through next season.

    We complain about Murphy's and Dunleavy's salaries, but to me the real limiting factor on our flexibility is the albatross that has been excommunicated from the team. Without Tinsley's salary, we would at least be able to acquire one decent talent as we tinker with the roster this summer. I guess the pessimist in me doesn't see any significant improvement coming for the PG or PF slots unless we get really lucky through the draft. Bummer.

  12. #12
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,773

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we trade Ford we wont have a true point guard.
    Correct me if im wrong. But arent most PG in the league now, not true PGs?

    Ill list a few:
    • Bibby
    • Rose
    • Jameer Nelson
    • Mo Williams
    • Hinrich
    • Stuckey
    • Baron
    • Ellis
    • Sessions
    • Devin Harris
    • Duhon
    • Westbrook
    • Arenas


    Its not that common to find a pure PG in the NBA these days, so its seems
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  13. #13
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Correct me if im wrong. But arent most PG in the league now, not true PGs?


    Ill list a few:
    • Bibby
    • Rose
    • Jameer Nelson
    • Mo Williams
    • Hinrich
    • Stuckey
    • Baron
    • Ellis
    • Sessions
    • Devin Harris
    • Duhon
    • Westbrook
    • Arenas

    Its not that common to find a pure PG in the NBA these days, so its seems
    I suppose it all depends on how you define a pure PG. I don't think being a scorer excludes a guy from being a true PG. There's a difference between a true PG and a pass-first PG.

    Here's what I want in a PG:
    -Can bring the ball up the floor by himself against pressure
    -Doesn't make bad decisions on a consistent basis
    -Can create open shots for teammates
    -Is a leader/organizer on the offensive end of the floor
    -Doesn't look for his own shot to the detriment of others

    I think guys like Bibby, Billups, and Baron Davis are true PG's even though they're not pass-first PG's.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis-Far East
    Age
    43
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . There's a difference between a true PG and a pass-first PG.

    There is? I think we are splitting hairs with this statement.

  15. #15
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,250

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    If it's possible to trade him this summer, you do it. But who would want him?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  16. #16
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,431

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    I think it's a money issue with TJ in that you'll have trouble moving him due to the length of his contract in the current NBA landscape. Monte Ellis has a worse contract, I think, and isn't a Point Guard either, but is a nice scorer. So if you traded TJ for Ellis you'd be taking on more contract, which would probably be what has to happen to move TJ and his contract at this point.

    Just my opinion, I'm not clear on what his on court value is to other teams, though. I'd imagine not much, since he has lost his starting position twice and most recently on a well, let's be honest, a not good team. Plus the injury history, so who knows for sure.

    As for TJ, I'll say this cuz it's my opinion and it's more feel than tangible evidence, so keep that in mind.

    TJ reminds me of JO. Here's why. He's not as good as he thinks he is. He thinks he's being a good teammate and a leader, but he's not naturally a good leader. TJ has the "want to" to be able to take over a game, but not the "know how" to make others around him better. Lastly, TJ interviews really well and wants to say all the right things, it's almost canned in his responses, sometimes. To me, all of that reeks of JO.

    On Jack, I think if you're looking for a guy who is going to be a point guard and average 7-8 assists a game, he's not your man, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have PG qualities. Here's why.

    He's a natural leader in action and word. He's not a guy you see that when he says stuff there are guys rolling their eyes, they seem to really listen. Why?

    Well I think they know he is a complete and utter team first guy. A guy who may mess up, but it wasn't because he was being selfish or cuz he didn't hustle or work hard enough in practice to prepare. That's HUGE.

    Also, I really do not think that Jack gives a crap about his stats during a game or season. I'm sure he's aware of them and I'm sure his agent will point to them when trying to land a contract, but Jack plays to win. Ya, a cliche, but I get the impression that he really just cares about the team first and his teammates before himself.

    I can completely see how when the ball stops with TJ on the perimeter that Jack gets pissed, it's disruptive to the team concept. With all of this said I think Jack is hardnosed guy who is a key ingredient to having a winning environment with his leadership and his abilities.

    What I'm not even close to being sold on is if you can be a playoff team with Jack as your starting Point Guard. I think Jack, though, does still have room for growth and I really really hope he's in a Pacers uniform next year. I think he, at the very least, can be a key component in the team starting to turn the corner in the Win/loss column. I'm so high on Jack and his natural leadership that I could see him as the first guard off the bench for a team in the Finals.

    So anyway, I wanted TJ to be my favorite player. I still think he can play in the right system and in the right match up he's a nightmare, but I just have really soured on him over the course of the year. I don't hate him, I wouldn't feel bad at all if he played out his contract here, I just don't think in any way is he the answer I hoped for at starting Point Guard. As for Jack, I think he's a keeper.
    Last edited by Speed; 03-25-2009 at 11:16 AM.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mt. Dora, FL
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we trade Ford we wont have a true point guard.
    Unless of course we were to bring back a true point in the trade somehow.

  18. #18
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can completely see how when the ball stops with TJ on the perimeter that Jack gets pissed, it's disruptive to the team concept. With all of this said I think Jack is hardnosed guy who is a key ingredient to having a winning environment with his leadership and his abilities.
    The thing I've noticed with Jack lately, and I'll be watching for it tonight as well, is that he's been making quicker decisions. His shots are either quick jumpers in transition, kick out 3's, or instant drives to the basket. You never see him spend 5-6 seconds trying to break his man down off the dribble. All those shots come within the flow of the offense, they don't stop ball movement or discourage other guys from trying. I don't think Jack is a traditional PG in terms of assists and creating for others, but that's not what O'Brien's asking him to be. In terms of maintaining the flow of the offense, Jack's doing a much better job than TJ right now.

    To TJ's credit, I thought he played much better in the Charlotte game.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone have interest in Monta? Hes not liking his time in GS. Maybe we can move Ford and another for him?

    Any comments?
    Despite what you might think, Ford isn't a Nellie type of PG.

  20. #20
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,431

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing I've noticed with Jack lately, and I'll be watching for it tonight as well, is that he's been making quicker decisions. His shots are either quick jumpers in transition, kick out 3's, or instant drives to the basket. You never see him spend 5-6 seconds trying to break his man down off the dribble. All those shots come within the flow of the offense, they don't stop ball movement or discourage other guys from trying. I don't think Jack is a traditional PG in terms of assists and creating for others, but that's not what O'Brien's asking him to be. In terms of maintaining the flow of the offense, Jack's doing a much better job than TJ right now.

    To TJ's credit, I thought he played much better in the Charlotte game.
    I agree. I think Obie does an excellent job of instilling a confidence in shooters, if they are good shots, and I think you see this in Jack's play.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    honestly after what i have seen from him he will be here next year but we will not resign him. i consider this years draft to be a good opportunity to maybe find a true point guard and have all next season to get him polished up on the nba game and after tj leaves he should take over the point. i do think this years draft has a number a point guards, so hopefully we make a good choice to get one that is not necessarily a super star but one that can be a good starter for this team.

  22. #22
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,415

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Shop him around and see what type of offers are out there. I think he has respectable value since he has been relatively healthy in the recent past and he is an NBA caliber PG.

    I would prefer to trade him if possible, if not, nothing wrong with letting him expire.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by plutarch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    honestly after what i have seen from him he will be here next year but we will not resign him. i consider this years draft to be a good opportunity to maybe find a true point guard and have all next season to get him polished up on the nba game and after tj leaves he should take over the point. i do think this years draft has a number a point guards, so hopefully we make a good choice to get one that is not necessarily a super star but one that can be a good starter for this team.
    Eric Maynor, though i'm not sure if he's worthy of a lottery pick.

  24. #24
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,079

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    i agree a lot with speed's post. jarrett jack may or may not end up being a starting quality pg, but his qualities are such that you'd want him on the team regardless.

    tj has been disappointing, even with the rather low expectations set by "bad" tinsley. the best thing that you could say of ford is that at least he's been relatively healthy. if i were tptb, i'd definitely be shopping him around this summer.

  25. #25
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,773

    Default Re: Whats going to Happen to TJ Ford in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Despite what you might think, Ford isn't a Nellie type of PG.
    why do you say that?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



Similar Threads

  1. Toronto Sun: trading TJ Ford was a mistake
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
  2. Coach 'em up, season 2: TJ Ford
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
  3. TJ Ford Article
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 03:19 PM
  4. Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...
    By Major Cold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2039
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
  5. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •