Thread: Improving basketball in Indiana.

Default Improving basketball in Indiana.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/156507-4107-039.html

Who would have thought that a thread would have ever been started, or talked about?

But I think the ball played in Indiana has been on a major slide in recent years.

Just look at Indiana-Purdue [This is just an example so don't get excited.], those teams once got some of the best talent crop in the whole state and it was a top rivaly in all of sports but now it is nothing. The rivaly has died. Part because both teams have sucked [Except IU in 02.] and they have sucked a large reason I believe is that Mike Davis is bringing all these players from the South and stuff to IU like Bracey Wright, he just got some kid to transfer and got a center from Sacramento and was going to get Josh Smith and while all of those players are nice they do not understand the tradition, the rivaly that Indiana has and that the rivaly between IU and PU has.

So I was thinking, this is something I want to do once I graduate HS or soon after, I think it would be a good idea to build B-Ball centers where you can have open gym and stuff so people can improve. Have leagues for all ages and for the younger kids have coaches so the kids know what they need to do to succeed. Of course have a fee and things of that nature but I think it would/could improve the basketball quliaty here in Indiana.

It will never happen and you probably think i'm crazy/dumb starting this thread but it's just a thought.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Improving basketball in Indiana.

It's called AAU, or Boys (Girls) Clubs, or perhaps CYO, or....any number of things. And while they have good points, most are all about winning and very little about teaching. It is here that the pandering to the "stars" begins. Unfotunately they forgot why they were started. ( the CYO leagues I have seen have been very good for allowing the "lesser" skilled players play ie Geezerette and Geezer Jr.)

Having said that, I have been thinking similar thoughts of late and I wonder why the Indiana colleges don't go back to their roots and utilize the homegrown Indiana tlaent available to them. Get away from the streetballers they bring in and back to more grassroots bball as it is taught here and in the midwest. OK maybe I'm an old fuddyduddy (see my avartar) and a huge homer in that respect, but I believe that the Hoosier kids still play more fundamentally sound basketball than they do in other parts of the country. IMO, it is these fundmentals that are lacking. You cannot create a winning program bringing in superstars that at the most will be here 1-2 years (if they even show up), so why not return to your roots and support the kids whose parents pay the taxes that support these universities?
    [edit=99=1088449461][/edit]
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

As Geezer said - there are many opportunities and most of them have you playing ball 11 out of 12 months.

My daughter did the same thing with volleyball.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

and did they do much teaching in the league, ABA???
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

obviously this doesn't help from a fundamentals or team aspect, but go look around when you're driving. Really stop and look around. We've got more basketball hoops per capita than anywhere else in the world. There are 6 on my street alone. That's roughly half of the houses....

Mood

I heard MPOS talking one day about those driveway hoops. His comment was that most are set low so that kids could either hit a shot or bigger kids dunk. That few are set to 10 ft anymore and you rarely see the kids out with a hoops contest going on. Maybe a little shoot around but no neighborhood games like 20 or even 12-15 years ago. If they aren't off to some "league" somewhere then they are sitting indoors with their PS2 or X-box. In my old geezer guise, I actually had to agree with Mark PAtrick. To much tv and video gaming going on to suit me.

I disagree with that which you said Mark said, geez. That sounds like overstereotyping, if that is such a thing.

Mood

I agree to a large extent. It being stereotyping to a degree. But I don;t see the neighborhood games I used to, not nearly as many anyway. I usually consider MPOS to be the king of generalization but in this instance, I feel he has a measure of validity. (perhapsbecause he agrees with me???)

Want to improve Indiana basketball? Bring back the winner takes all IHSAA tournament and relegate class basketball to the PC scrap heap of failed 'do goodedness' gone awry.

...Altho I fear it is approaching, if not already, too late at this point...

Fans don't care for it and I dare say players only think they care. Winning the state tournament now means nothing 3 days after it is over. It cheapens earlier tournament games and in the end leaves question marks with ALL the winners wondering how they would've fared against ALL comers. Interest only exists in the communities involved, not the whole state. How is that supposed to inspire kids to strive to be the best?

If the IHSAA was tired of basketball being the 2000lb gorilla in Indiana they sure found a way to level the field. Unfortunately the other sports didn't rise to the level of Indiana basketball but instead Indiana basketball was pulled down to their level.

They've killed the Golden Goose.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Want to improve Indiana basketball? Bring back the winner takes all IHSAA tournament and relegate class basketball to the PC scrap heap of failed 'do goodedness' gone awry.
    =============

I was just thinking...I cannot tell you who won any of the divisions for the last 5 years. And I used to know everything about the Final 4. I'm fortunate enough to be able to say that I saw the last two Single class championships, but I haven't been back since. Cuold care less now. (That';s not true...I love it for what it SHOULD be, not for what it has become)