Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Take on Greg Monroe

Default Whats Your Take on Greg Monroe

How do you guys feel about this guy? I remember once he was ranked to go top 3 (by draftexpress.com) but now hes dropped to 12 for some reason. I havent seen much College Ball this season but from what Ive hear from friends is that he is really good.

Hes a 6'11" PF and hes compared to:
    Best Case: Pau Gasol
    Worst Case: Andray Blatche/Boris Diaw

Thats not bad at all.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Greg-Monroe-1109/
    Last edited by MillerTime; 03-18-2009 at 08:45 AM.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Whats Your Take on Grag Monroe

Low potential. I don't think he'll be more than a lower level starter. I think statistically, he'll be about a 13 and 6 player with mid-40 shooting numbers. He's a decent passer but Roy is too so that would be a little less useful since it would be redundant with our other big man. I don't want to draft him, i'd rather go with someone that will be a little bit tougher under the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Low potential. I don't think he'll be more than a lower level starter. I think statistically, he'll be about a 13 and 6 player with mid-40 shooting numbers. He's a decent passer but Roy is too so that would be a little less useful since it would be redundant with our other big man. I don't want to draft him, i'd rather go with someone that will be a little bit tougher under the rim.
    Monroe seems pretty tough around the rim
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

From a fundamentals standpoint he'll be the best big man in the draft if he comes out. Same for basketball IQ. Midlevel or a bit above athletically. Lots of players can out-jump or outquick him but when it comes to footwork and knowing where to be on the floor he's very good.

You can never tell but I think he goes top ten if his performance on the athletic measurements in pre-draft camps doesn't scare people off.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

If he's available when the Pacers pick, and as long as there are no red flags regarding his measurements or workouts, I'll be very, very upset if the Pacers don't take him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hes a 6'11" PF and hes compared to:
    Best Case: Pau Gasol
    Worst Case: Andray Blatche/Boris Diaw
    The couple of times I saw him play it reminded me more of Al Jefferson. I'm talking about his offensive part.

The kid is just a freshman. It will be interesting to see if he has better workouts than Patrick Patterson. I watched Patterson last night and the kid does hustle. Patterson is also a better defender. I think Pyscho T will be better than both of them at the next level.

My only take is what type of name is Grag. At first I figured it was a typo

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    If he's available when the Pacers pick, and as long as there are no red flags regarding his measurements or workouts, I'll be very, very upset if the Pacers don't take him.
    So far we're projected to pick at 9 and Monroe is projected to be taken at 12 (thats according to DraftExpress.com). So, hopefully we can pick him up at 9. I think it'll be a pretty safe pick. From what Ive heard about him, he sounds like a solid big man. Pair him up with Hibbert and we have a nice young front court

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    So far we're projected to pick at 9 and Monroe is projected to be taken at 12 (thats according to DraftExpress.com). So, hopefully we can pick him up at 9. I think it'll be a pretty safe pick. From what Ive heard about him, he sounds like a solid big man. Pair him up with Hibbert and we have a nice young front court
    ESPN (Chad Ford) has Monroe at 3 and Thabeet at 7 or 8.

Several on here remain very high on Thabeet, but in a head-to-head right after Christmas, Monroe got the best of Thabeet offensively. Thabeet blocked a lot of shots that game, but didn't block on Monroe. I think Monroe scored 16-18 and Thabeet scored just a couple of points.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Whats Your Take on Greg Monroe

I'm not a fan, not yet at least. I thought he already said he was staying in school this year after their down season. He and Summers basically said they wanted to stay and have another go at it. It would certainly help his draft stock. (ps - so has Rubio and yet he remains in tons of mocks...NBADraft.net switched all 3 to the 2010 draft already)

He was far less impressive than Hibbert last year (who I thought was too slow) and I don't think he looks better than Blair or Aminu. He's taller, but he's not tall enough to be a basic C IMO. He needs to put together a smarter and more athletic all-around game, which I fully expect him to do if he stays at G'town.

My only take is what type of name is Grag. At first I figured it was a typo
    It is.

Chad Ford - his mocks stay way out of date at times. In fact many of them do. NBADraft.net just made a big tweak to it's list the other day finally, at least enough that I could notice and that it reflected the play of the last 2 months.

They play Baylor in the NIT tonight so if you can find it on TV it's your chance to take another look.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-18-2009 at 09:22 AM.

One more thing on DraftExpress - their mock has Budinger going after Collison. Good luck with that. They also still have Curry in the top 10 and I don't think that's his draft buzz now at all. The mock looks a bit outdated to me.

I don't think Monroe will come out. If he does, I think he's probably the 3rd best PF prospect in the draft after Griffin and Hill. I like him better than Aminu (who's about Granger's size with little inside game) and Blair (who's shorter than Ike and has motor issues and will get destroyed by perimeter PF's in the NBA). If he's on the board around 9 or 10 when the Pacers pick and the expected guys are gone, I think he'd be a must on potential alone. My only caveat is that I think we need an athletic, defense/rebound oriented PF to play next to Hibbert, and I don't think Monroe is that guy.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo

If he decides to go into the draft, I would prefer to draft him....but it sounds like he's going to stay in college another season....at which point I hope that we draft him next season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    If he decides to go into the draft, I would prefer to draft him....but it sounds like he's going to stay in college another season....at which point I hope that we draft him next season.
    See...now, I'm just the opposite. If he stays in college, then I think we should move heaven and earth to draft him this year. If he comes out, I don't want to have anything to do with him.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    See...now, I'm just the opposite. If he stays in college, then I think we should move heaven and earth to draft him this year. If he comes out, I don't want to have anything to do with him.
    If he stays in college, you want to draft him THIS YEAR....if he comes out this season, you don't want to draft hiim.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

If he stays in college, you want to draft him THIS YEAR....if he comes out this season, you don't want to draft hiim.

I said what I meant, and I meant what I said.

Sports Logo

Here's a good read on Greg Monroe from DX:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...rs-31609-3137/

By Matt Kawalsky
    Posted on http://www.draftexpress.com

The last time we checked in on Greg Monroe in-depth, he had just posted an impressive performance against Hasheem Thabeet and the Connecticut Huskies, was a reason for optimism on a top-10 ranked Georgetown team that was in the midst of a seven game winning streak, and appeared to have all the makings of a one-and-done talent. While the latter observation may still be true, Monroe couldn’t carry the Huskies through their Big East schedule as seamlessly as some had hoped, and has fallen under quite a bit of scrutiny as his team lost 13 of their last 19 games and barely made it into the NIT. Like other Big East prospects, the strength of the conference put him in the spotlight on a bi-weekly basis, making his strengths and weaknesses that much more apparent to NBA decision-makers.

Monroe’s best asset moving forward is his unusual blend of size, versatility, touch, and instincts. Though he could stand to add some muscle to his frame to handle the rigors of the NBA, his body should be ready for the pro-level after a summer in the weight room. He’s not a great athlete, but he demonstrates great fluidity in some aspects of the game, displaying a promising finesse game and some unique floor skills for a center. For a player as young as he is, Monroe has a good feel for the game as evidenced by his court vision, ability to finish with his left hand over and around defenders, and his ability to execute in offensive sets. Unfortunately, Monroe didn’t always have the easiest time using these skills on a regular basis due to a handful a rectifiable flaws in his game.

The most apparent weakness Monroe has at this point lies in his lack of ball-handling and finishing ability with his right hand. He has proven capable of putting the ball on the floor to attack the rim off the dribble from the high post against slower defenders, but has an incredibly difficult time changing directions with the ball when his initial penetration gets cut off. His 2.5 turnovers-per game can be attributed almost entirely to situations where he was forced to crossover, attempted to take more than one dribble with his right hand, or tried too hard to come back to his left hand after initially driving right. Monroe’s ability to improve his right hand should dictate how easily he is able to create match-up problems on the next level –which will be a key to his offensive development. He was able to score effectively in one-on-one situations essentially one-handed this season, but will find NBA defenses more proficient at keeping him out of the lane.

One of the other primary factors that prevented Monroe from having more success as a freshman was the lack of polish on many of his offensive tools. Though he made a handful of long jumpers this season, the mechanics on his jump shot are extremely inconsistent. He has some potential as a jump shooter, but will need a ton of reps to make it a useful part of his game moving forward. Down low, he was able to score at a solid rate with his back to the basket, but his moves are a bit methodical and he doesn’t do the best job maintaining his body control when he gets bumped. Monroe’s touch with his left-hand often bailed him out of situations where he was forced to shoot a hook moving away from the rim or found himself a bit out of position.

Monroe’s struggles with physical defenders around the basket are indicative of the general aversion to physical contact that presents itself in some parts of his game. Though he does a nice job establishing position on the block and attacking his man’s shoulder when he drives for the most part, Monroe looks tentative to go right at his man when attempting to score in the paint, and often lacks the explosiveness to go up and finish strong in traffic. The fact that he still manages to get to the line at a solid rate is a testament to just how easily he puts himself in position to score –not to how physically he plays. This ability to get by doesn’t translate to his rebounding ability, where he ranks last in our database in rebounds per-40 minutes pace adjusted amongst centers and near the bottom amongst true power forwards. Monroe’s lack of production is largely due to the fact that he doesn’t make a great effort to rebound outside of area and has a hard time finish his box outs consistently.

The apathy that is sometimes an issue for Monroe as a rebounder is a big concern. Georgetown went 7-11 in Big East play, and Monroe seemed to be coasting at times. He doesn’t impose his will on the game like he is capable of, seeming to lack the assertiveness and aggressiveness that his team desperately could have used down the stretch. This is especially concerning on the defensive end, where Monroe has the size and instinct to make a huge impact.

He puts up impressive defensive numbers –recording steals at an elite rate for a center and altering quite a few shots as well. However, he proves to be a poor one-on-one defender and only a mediocre stopper in the post. His instincts and hands allow him to be statistically productive, but his motor and tenacity against players attempting to back him down leave a lot to be desired. He also gets turned around too easily, having a tough time staying square to his man when he makes a move in the post. Some of Monroe’s issues can be attributed to the fact that he is actively trying to stay out of foul trouble and just isn’t that quick laterally, but he has never been known for having the toughness or mean streak that would make him an impact defender.

While Monroe obviously has a number of weaknesses as a player, the silver-lining is that almost all of them are correctable. Monroe is highly coachable on all accounts, and though John Thompson III no doubt took some time to tutor his star pupil, Monroe’s problems couldn’t be solved in a single campaign. Pegged as a major option on the a middle-of-the-pack Big East team out of necessity rather than preparedness, Monroe was not as ready (or possibly willing) to play the role of star that many of the players in the freshman crop that came before him had no trouble filling. This year’s crop of freshman had no chance to live up to the expectations provided by their predecessors, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see many of the players that return to school blossom with a year of experience under their belt.

This offseason should be a key to Monroe’s long-term development, whether he be preparing for the draft or readying himself for another run in the Big East. At this point, he may be in position to be a lottery pick, and though he’s a strong candidate to struggle through some growing pains at the next level, his progression could be accelerated significantly under the right coaching staff. Monroe could become an excellent role-player if he finds the right mentor, but his development into a bonafide star will be a tenuous one.
    It sounds like it maybe better for him to stay in school for another year to boost his draft stock.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I said what I meant, and I meant what I said.
    Exactly.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Form what I've seen of Monroe, I'm not too impressed so far. He's still raw and sometimes looks lost and/or unassertive. He's a good ballhandler and passer, and can score the ball pretty well, but I don't see anything that really makes him stand out at this point.

I was watching video of him and Jordan Hill when Monroe was rising and Hill was slipping in the mocks, and I'm much more impressed with Hill. Hill may not have quite the upside that Monroe does, but he would be a much better fit for this team.

I'm not totally thrilled with Hill either, but I agree with you Shade that I like him more than Monroe right now. That write-up from DraftExpress was very good and matches what I felt quite a bit (but with far more insight).

To put it in perspective, I feel like Mullens is more ready to come out than Monroe at this point and that's a flip-flop from earlier this season by quite a bit.

And Count, I was with you. I'd forgotten but Bird was drafted 1 year early himself, right? Of course those days are gone.

There is plenty to not love about Blair's game and I ranted pretty hard against him many weeks ago myself, but there is one thing in his game that's 100% high caliber NBA ready and that's his pick setting ability. He works to get that clean spot and make someone pay. No lazy step ins or early exits from the pick with him, at least when I've seen him play.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I don't think Monroe will come out. If he does, I think he's probably the 3rd best PF prospect in the draft after Griffin and Hill. I like him better than Aminu (who's about Granger's size with little inside game) and Blair (who's shorter than Ike and has motor issues and will get destroyed by perimeter PF's in the NBA). If he's on the board around 9 or 10 when the Pacers pick and the expected guys are gone, I think he'd be a must on potential alone. My only caveat is that I think we need an athletic, defense/rebound oriented PF to play next to Hibbert, and I don't think Monroe is that guy.
    Agreed, and I'm hoping for Hill if we can't get Griffin.

Because this years draft sucks according to some people

It seems to be a decent draft for guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Form what I've seen of Monroe, I'm not too impressed so far. He's still raw and sometimes looks lost and/or unassertive. He's a good ballhandler and passer, and can score the ball pretty well, but I don't see anything that really makes him stand out at this point.
    My sentiments exactly although i'm not impressed with his scoring either. He's a good passer, but that's about it. Everything else with him is "bleh."