Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murphy Doubtful for Portland Game

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Murphy Doubtful for Portland Game

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...RTS04/90317065

Mike Wells

The Indiana Pacers, who are on a three-game losing streak, could be without forward Troy Murphy against the Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday.
    Murphy, who is third in the league in rebounds, is doubtful with a left calf contusion.
    Murphy injured his calf when teammate Brandon Rush accidentally kicked him in it in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 23-point loss to the Toronto Raptors.
    “I’ll decide that tomorrow,” Pacers coach Jim O’Brien said when asked who would start if Murphy doesn’t play. “We have options to go small. We’ll make that adjustment and worry about it when they tell us Murph can’t go.”

Murphy is 14.1 points and 11.9 rebounds a game this season.
    This is going to be fun...

Default Re: Murphy Doubtful for Portland Game

Beat me by a minute!!!

Secretly I think Obie hopes that Rasho, Roy, Jeff, and Maceo come down with a virus for tomorrow night too.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Secretly I think Obie hopes that Rasho, Roy, Jeff, and Maceo come down with a virus for tomorrow night too.
    At that point, he'd almost be forced to play McRoberts.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    At that point, he'd almost be forced to play McRoberts.
    Or he's going to play Granger at the PF spot for the majority of the night....with Baston and McRoberts getting spot minutes.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Or he's going to play Granger at the PF spot for the majority of the night....with Baston and McRoberts getting spot minutes.
    I don't think there's any doubt of that. Probably the least likely scenario in your post is McRoberts getting spot minutes.

- Salman Rushdie

Man, I hope OB was misquoted! "We've got some options to go small..."
    WTF does that mean? I've kind of had it with this guy as a coach of a young team. Those "options to go small" didn't work out too well against the Raptors and OB is still thinking about that?
    Ugh.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great. It never stops.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Lord Helmet,

You echo my semtiment exactly.

Might as well read "Win Doubtful for Portland Game".

He's all we have.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Go small ball! Better lottery pick odds!
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

Ha, we just cannot get healthy!!!!! Of course we've missed Dun Dun for the majority or the season, but even when he returned we were missing key players. Now when Granger comes back.. we're missing Murphy. It's like we swap injured players.

Ok... well since he's returning... you can be injured now.. and then when you heal... tht guy can come down with an injury. It's like the team is taking turns with who can be hurt when. When Murph returns... it'll be Tj turn again... it just never fails.

At first I was hopeful McRoberts might add some toughness inside we've been missing next to Roy. Then I saw O'Brien said we'll play small and I suddenly realized why this season is almost lost. Just think how far along we'd be now if he gave McRoberts and Hibbert consistent minutes all year? Hell we'd actually have a chance to go on a run at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    At first I was hopeful McRoberts might add some toughness inside we've been missing next to Roy. Then I saw O'Brien said we'll play small and I suddenly realized why this season is almost lost. Just think how far along we'd be now if he gave McRoberts and Hibbert consistent minutes all year? Hell we'd actually have a chance to go on a run at the end.
    You think if McBob got consistent minutes this year, we would have a better chance than our current one right now? I dont think he would have made a difference in the win/loss column. It seems clear the coach feels the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Really? you really think all these two players need is some playing time. Josh might, might someday be a guy who gets regular minutes and by that I mean 10-15 minutes per game. It isn't like he's sitting over there with tons of talent just waiting for some P/T. This isn't JO sitting at the end of the Blazers bench.

Roy is a little different. But he has started 28 games and has played in 56 games this season while playing 740 minutes to date this season - the 9th most on the team. I think that is where most of us thought he would be with 15 games left - he is a big guy who was taken number 17. There were times this season where he was getting extremely frustrated eithewr because of fouls or poor play. IMO the worst thing for him would have been to force him into more minutes where he either would have developed bad habbits or become even more frustrated.

Mood

I love how this turned into a thread about the coach's decisions as fast as it did. This was not my intention when posting this. You guys just need to get off this...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Buck, I'm not sure when you had a chance to evaluate McBob this year. Did he play at some point and I missed it?

I do think the team would have been A LITTLE BIT better had he played. Sure would have helped with fatigue on Jeff/Troy, would have added toughness on the inside, but then I guess McRoberts can't float the high post all game just shooting middies, therefore he's a worthless bum who'll never be anything.

I'm not exactly sure what it is that McRoberts does particularly poorly to be honest.

Duke - Troy being out with the team in such a bad spot is a perfect time for a coach litmus test. If McRoberts doesn't see 15-20 tonight (barring fouls/awful play) it pretty much cements the idea that JOB is going to go small ball as much as he's allowed to (ie, front office says "play our draft pick!")

Not sure what else Troy being out means to the current situation other than his 3PM thing is going to fall to the side in terms of pushing for the most makes in a season (long arc only).

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

I'm not exactly sure what it is that McRoberts does particularly poorly to be honest.
    He doesn't have a great jumpshot, probably on par with Foster's. I'd guess team defense, but we haven't seen enough of him to know. It's certainly not energy or athleticism. If you look at 82games, the team's actually been better defensively with him on the floor.

- Salman Rushdie

I have issue with almost everytime Obie utters small ball, which is often. If he was playing small ball and it was working, I guess I'd be more accepting.

As for McBob, well he has a way to go, he does bring energy though and I'd guess with 14 games left, that would be a nice spark.

McBob needs to have a crazy good off season of development to earn some minutes next year with whoever he plays for. I think he can be a very good player, but I also think he could not be.

Sounds wishy washy, but McBob really needs to start to take things to the next level in this offseason.

He reminds of Al a little, not is style, but in that Al was lost and didn't have much game coming in, but he's really developed into a solid NBA player through hard work. I think Al is an example of good being the enemy of great, in that Al got "good enough" then hasn't gotten any better in awhile.

So as far as McBob is concerned he needs to maybe get with Roy and follow his work pattern this summer and see where it takes him.

McBob could be a unique player. A power forward who has great vision or he could be playing in Europe in two years resting on his athletic laurels.

McBob's to do list include, but are not limited to. A jumper, ability to dribble more than once with a guy on him in the half court offense, a jumper, team and individiual defensive experience/understanding, a jumper, and overall B ball IQ that doesn't completely predicate on his athleticism.

At this level, he's athletic, but not anymore than alot of guys so all of those things he could previously do based on physical ability are negated and he's never had to do things by just being smart.

Now is his chance.

I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but I'm somehow more impressed with McBob's jumper than the rest of you. Hasn't he hit a couple of nice ones and showed good form?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but I'm somehow more impressed with McBob's jumper than the rest of you. Hasn't he hit a couple of nice ones and showed good form?

Going from a limited memory. It was inconsistent and until the last couple of games he played. When I say inconsistent I mean in form and substance not results, necessarily. Sometimes he jumps more, sometimes the arc is flatter, sometimes his elbow is in where it should be, sometimes he doesn't look like his feet are set and he's rushing through the motion, sometimes he follows through sometimes not.

Also, he was timid to take it.

You are right there's not a big body of evidence to work with here.

I always think a young bigman should have a money spot on the floor that he doesn't miss from.

I always think of PJ Brown who made a career out of hitting the 17 foot baseline jumper. Dude never missed.

Udonis Haslem consistently hits those 17 footers too. Really it just makes it where the guy guarding you can't help on D without you making them pay.

If McBob had a baseline 17 foot shot that he never missed when he was open it would really help him and help the team, imho.

I think a summer of getting up a TON of shots will really make all the difference for him and allow him to at least shoot the same way everytime, then those shots will go down pretty regularly, I think.

Hopefully Keller is around all summer and McBob listens to him.
    Last edited by Speed; 03-18-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I love how this turned into a thread about the coach's decisions as fast as it did. This was not my intention when posting this. You guys just need to get off this...
    Maybe the quote from OB about making decision to go small should have been left out then?
    My guess is if Oden plays, OB is forced to play Hibbert. If not, Roy sits until the game is out of reach.
    The coach has become easy fodder when he addresses an injury with "going small."

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    IMcBob's to do list include, but are not limited to. A jumper, ability to dribble more than once with a guy on him in the half court offense, a jumper, team and individiual defensive experience/understanding, a jumper, and overall B ball IQ that doesn't completely predicate on his athleticism.

Those two are almost complete opposites from where he was, while at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Those two are almost complete opposites from where he was, while at Duke.
    I've thought about those two things when I was writing it.

I think a few things about that.

McBob could handle the ball on the break in college. That's different than being able to clear room with the dribble with someone his own size and quickness on him from a standstill in the NBA in the half court.

Rarely this year has he looked comfortable with the ball on the perimeter, let alone shown the ability to change angles for the defense or make his man react to him with a hard couple of dribbles.

I know Obies offense is Princetonish in that the Bigs come out to the top of the key elbow and look for cutters, but it still doesn't mean McBob can or is willing to handle the ball in a set offense.

Lastly, there's a big difference handling the ball on the break when the floor doesn't have as much traffic and you have the defenders on their heels than trying to take a hard dribble with a guy guarding you close that has a 7 foot wingspan and there are 8 other players clogging up the half court. I'm not asking McBob to be a point guard here, but I do want him to not be a guy who can't wait to get rid of the ball when he's on the perimeter.

I think McBob could still handle the ball well for a bigman on a break in the pros, but it's not the same thing I was thinking of.

Secondly, Basketball ability predicated on his athleticism at Duke worked. In the Pros it doesn't as much. It's just the caliber of defender, imo.

The fact that he could do some of these things in college is hopefully a good indicator that he could someday do it in the pros, I hope at least.

The NBA is chock full of guys who can run and jump (looking at you James White) the difference is a big majority of them are smart too (not in life necessarily, but you know what I mean) (not in any way looking in your direction, James White) .

It's why when us weekend ball players as we get older are still able to play with the young guys who are now faster and jump higher. You get smarter or more effecient as you aren't able to rely on just blowing past a guy anymore. McBob needs to get smarter on the court and if he really works at it, I think he will.

I guess in summary, when you can't rely on a superior athletic advantage you have to be smarter and become more skilled. I don't think McBob has done that yet, but this summer could be a great opportunity. He's still very young.
    Last edited by Speed; 03-18-2009 at 12:06 PM.

I've tried to find them before, and was unsuccessful, but I've heard Coack K talk about Josh as one of the best ballhandlers on the team while he was there. He said his dribbling ability and passing ability were the reasons why he was their press break.

Personally, I just think he's too uncomfortable out there to really showcase the public his ability. People talk about BRush not having confidence in his shot, and that's why he struggles, well I think Josh has little confidence in his overall game. He's never been aggressive, always passive, which is why Coach K made him a team capt. to thrust him into leading role.

Players fail when they play scared, and he just looks scared to make a mistake when he is on the floor.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I've tried to find them before, and was unsuccessful, but I've heard Coack K talk about Josh as one of the best ballhandlers on the team while he was there. He said his dribbling ability and passing ability were the reasons why he was their press break.

Personally, I just think he's too uncomfortable out there to really showcase the public his ability. People talk about BRush not having confidence in his shot, and that's why he struggles, well I think Josh has little confidence in his overall game. He's never been aggressive, always passive, which is why Coach K made him a team capt. to thrust him into leading role.

Players fail when they play scared, and he just looks scared to make a mistake when he is on the floor.
    http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly...es-60318.shtml

Those are quotes from the Duke/George Washington NCAA tourney game a few years ago. I was looking for them after the Toronto debacle because that was the last time I'd seen Pops Mensah-Bonsu. It pretty much sums up what you were saying.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson