Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 161

Thread: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

  1. #1
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Might as well get one started since it is that time.

  2. #2
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Louisville is the overall #1 in the Midwest. Pitt #1 in East , NC #1 In Sout, & UConn #1 out West.

  3. #3
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Ohio State, a #8 gets a home game in the first round? Must be nice.

    19-13/9-9 Arizona make the show? Reputation or deserved?After further review, this looks like reputation not performance. They only won 2 road games all season, against Oregon and Or. St. They did not beat a good team on the road.
    Last edited by SycamoreKen; 03-15-2009 at 06:02 PM.

  4. #4
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Purdue got a pretty raw deal.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  5. #5
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    They are talking about the top 4 lines getting protected with travel in the first round, so why does Ohio State get a short trip? There were too many teams seeded above them forced to travel to keep them where they are.

  6. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,953

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    YOU'RE GOING DOWN CLEMSON!

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #7
    Banned Big Smooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,204

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ohio State, a #8 gets a home game in the first round? Must be nice.

    19-13/9-9 Arizona make the show? Reputation or deserved?After further review, this looks like reputation not performance. They only won 2 road games all season, against Oregon and Or. St. They did not beat a good team on the road.
    I don't like Arizona either but they had quite a few wins against the RPI Top 50.

  8. #8
    year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,303

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    I'm very surprised Arizona made it in. I thought they'd be one of the first bubble teams to go primarily based upon their record in recent games.

    I was hoping Butler would get a 7. Now they're a 9 playing a tough team in LSU, and if they beat them, are most certainly looking at North Carolina in the second round. Ouch.

    Purdue was very impressive during the Big Ten Tournament. I think they may make it to the Sweet Sixteen; however, their lack of interior depth is their Achilles heal and will bite them big time. Northern Iowa is experienced and deceptively athletic, and Washington is well-coached and has bigs.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    19-13/9-9 Arizona make the show? Reputation or deserved?After further review, this looks like reputation not performance. They only won 2 road games all season, against Oregon and Or. St. They did not beat a good team on the road.
    Yeah - and the two road games they won were just barely, against bottom feeders. I don't know who exactly got screwed - probably 5 teams have arguments.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  10. #10
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    I can't believe Arizona got in. They played like crap for most of the season. Penn State and Auburn should be furious.

    Purdue should have been higher. (Someone check on the temperature in hell.)

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. #11
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't believe Arizona got in. They played like crap for most of the season. Penn State and Auburn should be furious.

    Purdue should have been higher. (Someone check on the temperature in hell.)
    Oh I am very angry. I dont see how Michigan and Minnesota get in over us really. Or Arizona. At least we made the NIT. #2 seed, play George Mason on Tuesday night. Probably going to go to the game. I think we got a good shot at winning the NIT.

    As for the NCAA tourny I really dont know who I am going to pick yet. Havent broken down everything yet.

  12. #12
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Purdue should have been higher. (Someone check on the temperature in hell.)
    A very real case is to be made that they should have been a spot or possibly even two higher but the real sham is the fact that they have to play their 1st/2nd games in Portland, OR and assuming they both advance, will have a road game in the second round against Washington. That's what I don't agree with most of all.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  13. #13
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,953

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I am very angry. I dont see how Michigan and Minnesota get in over us really.
    ...uh, yeah. You got worked the last time you played us and you finished your season with a loss to IOWA.

    Oh, and their non-conference schedule was a joke. They played ONE team that made the tournament and they lost.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-16-2009 at 05:19 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I am very angry. I dont see how Michigan and Minnesota get in over us really. Or Arizona.
    I agree with you on Arizona but Minn and Mich played real basketball teams outside of the Big Ten. Michigan even beat Duke while you lost to Rhode Island. You want more consideration, try playing someone better than Towson or New Jersey Tech.

    It doesn't bother me that Penn St didn't get in - they did it to themselves with having a SOS around 100. It bothers me that Arizona DID. There are about 5 teams that should be in ahead of them. Penn State's just one of those. Personally, I'd have put in St. Mary's but we could argue about team 65 all day.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  15. #15
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Butler gets a red hot LSU team in the first round, and IF they get past them have been rewarded with North Carolina. I hate the committee, but not as much as I hate the fact that Butler would have been a 5 if they had just beaten Cleveland St.

  16. #16
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Feel Free to join my yahoo league

    League ID 41456

    Password 123456

    Both Purdue and Butler need to shoot their free throws better in order to win.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Butler gets a red hot LSU team in the first round, and IF they get past them have been rewarded with North Carolina. I hate the committee, but not as much as I hate the fact that Butler would have been a 5 if they had just beaten Cleveland St.
    Butler got screwed - no doubt about that one. Did the committee just go with wins vs top-50, not record against top-50?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  18. #18
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Butler got screwed - no doubt about that one. Did the committee just go with wins vs top-50, not record against top-50?
    Eh, you lose at home in a crappy conference in the championship game you don't deserve much higher than an 8 or a 9.

    Another team that should be really upset is St. Mary's. When Mills was healthy they were an awesome team this season.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  19. #19
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Butler gets a red hot LSU team in the first round, and IF they get past them have been rewarded with North Carolina. I hate the committee, but not as much as I hate the fact that Butler would have been a 5 if they had just beaten Cleveland St.
    Shouldn't North Carolina be a little upset too? You're looking at the SEC regular season champ or an experienced tournament mid-major in the second round. Not exactly what you expect from a 8-9 matchup. I know that North Carolina should still win and has a home court advantage, but come one that's kind of rough.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  20. #20
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    [QUOTE=Indy;864618]Eh, you lose at home in a crappy conference in the championship game you don't deserve much higher than an 8 or a 9.

    I disagree with your statement. That Crappy team went into New York and beat Syracuse. They also beat that crappy team twice in the regular season. Butler played a very decent schedule (pre-conference) They have wins against Xavier, UAB, & Davidson. It is not Butler's fault they play in an overall weak conference.

  21. #21
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...uh, yeah. You got worked the last time you played us and you finished your season with a loss to IOWA.

    Oh, and their non-conference schedule was a joke. They played ONE team that made the tournament and they lost.
    You mean the same Iowa team you lost to in regulation, not double overtime? Yeah we did lose to them. And in the first game against you guys we destroyed you so yeah...

    Our non-conference schedule was terrible, I know that. But you have to look at where PSU is coming from and why we had such a weak schedule. How many of you guys thought PSU would go 22-11 and 10-8 in the Big Ten? Did you think they would have beaten Michigan State in East Lansing or sweep Illinois? Nope you didn't. When we did schedule those teams it seemed pretty fair. I think what we did in the Big Ten was more than what other teams did in non conference games.

  22. #22
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,953

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    ...actually, we lost to iowa in overtime. But it wasn't on the last game of the season when bubble teams were in make-or-break mode.

    When we played Iowa in the tournament, in the exact same situation needing to win in order to secure a spot, we won by 30.

    As the season wound up, Michigan got stronger, and Penn state got weaker. Michigan won the games experts said they had to win, and PSU choked.

    You played a bunch of glorified community colleges in non-conference, plus temple. And you lost to temple. That schedule is embarrassing to look at.

    When we did schedule those teams it seemed pretty fair.
    Right. You scheduled games like an NIT team, which is exactly what Penn State is.

    If they want to make the tournament, they should try scheduling tournament teams and stop inflating their record with losers.

    I think what we did in the Big Ten was more than what other teams did in non conference games.
    A homer sentiment that nobody outside of happy valley will agree with.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-16-2009 at 03:44 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  23. #23
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Personally I don't think a conference should be able to get more than half their teams into the tournament.

  24. #24

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    I'm still trying to figure out why Wisconsin basically was a tournament lock the whole way.

    The Badgers' schedule was fine, but they didn't beat anyone on it.

    Best non-conference win? 18-14 NIT-bound Va. Tech. Lost to Texas, Marquette, UConn.

    And then they split conference games against other flawed opponents. Best win there? Illinois, at the Kohl Center. And they lost three of their final five games.

    At least Minnesota beat a real team. At least Michigan beat a couple real teams. At least Penn State, which shouldn't have gotten in, beat a real team in Michigan State.

    The Big Ten was a six-team conference to me, with Penn State and Wisconsin on the outside.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: The 2009 NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm still trying to figure out why Wisconsin basically was a tournament lock the whole way.

    The Badgers' schedule was fine, but they didn't beat anyone on it.

    Best non-conference win? 18-14 NIT-bound Va. Tech. Lost to Texas, Marquette, UConn.

    And then they split conference games against other flawed opponents. Best win there? Illinois, at the Kohl Center. And they lost three of their final five games.

    At least Minnesota beat a real team. At least Michigan beat a couple real teams. At least Penn State, which shouldn't have gotten in, beat a real team in Michigan State.

    The Big Ten was a six-team conference to me, with Penn State and Wisconsin on the outside.
    They were a 12-seed - they weren't that much of a lock. Though I agree - teams like San Diego State and St Mary's have a pretty good argument. Of course they have an even better argument with Arizona
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Similar Threads

  1. Counting: It's Fun.
    By N8R in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 66943
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
  2. IGNORE THIS THREAD: THE MOVIE
    By Natston in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
  3. The Official 2008-2009 IU Basketball Thread
    By Trader Joe in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
  4. The Official 2008 NCAA Tournament Thread
    By Shade in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 295
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 12:57 AM
  5. The Official 2007-08 IU Basketball Thread
    By Shade in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 290
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 01:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •