Thread: Indiana Pacers forum history

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Indiana Pacers forum history

So I was bored tonight, and noticed that I had a URL associated with my profile, and I was like "wtf is that"... so I clicked it and realized that it was a website I used to run and shut down about 5 years ago and that's when I realized that I haven't even updated my profile in at least that long, lol....

So then, the notion hit me, and I looked over at my avatar, and I realized that I've been a member here for over 5 years, and I've only posted 350 times, lol... which I'm pretty sure would make me one of the consistently slowest long-term forum contributors around these parts --- should I be proud? I mean... that's 70 posts a year. That's a post every 5 days, lol.... but at least I've been consistent! What can I say, at least I can backup my claim that I'm not a post-count ho.

So anyway, then I got to thinking... just how freakin' long have I been a member here...

Then I got to thinkin, how freakin long have I been doin this Pacer forum thing, period, and I realized something:

I can't remember.

I *know* that I started on IndyStar, but I cannot, for the life of me, remember when. I know it was *at least* before the year 2000, because I remember cruising the forum at work at a job I had and left about 10 years ago.

I remember going through a number of forum "upgrades" and forum moves on IndyStar.

I remember that it was fairly often that groups of folks split off to various forums, including this one, and although I came over and created a profile on this site when y'all created it, I actually stayed at IndyStar for the most part. But that forum became a troll-infested noobie ground after Artest wreaked his havoc @ The Palace, and I couldn't take anymore of it, so I hopped on over here for good (and I'm still here, so I guess that's sayin' somethin, lol)

So anyway... I know I'm kinda the "dude who rarely talks, has been around forever and a day, and yet no one really knows", but I do recognize that some of you started with me way back in the day at IndyStar... and was wondering if any of you old schoolers could remember a "timeline" of sorts over the years on IndyStar, and the other various failed crossover sites, and even this site's history... because I inadvertently turned down memory lane in my wandering around, and it's a long yet mostly empty street the further I go down it, lol.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana Pacers forum history

Interesting story...at least you contribute. That is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . . . but I do recognize that some of you started with me way back in the day at IndyStar... and was wondering if any of you old schoolers could remember a "timeline" of sorts over the years on IndyStar, and the other various failed crossover sites, and even this site's history...
    I first started posting on the Star, but I can't give any history of crossover sites.

One of the problems I've always had is knowing who is who though the years. That's because for some reason people like to change their forum names. So it would be nice if when people reply that they give their former forum names along with what they can remember of their timeline so we can sort out the players.

My History and Timeline
    The farthest back I can remember is when the 'core' was in vogue at the Star. However, I can't pinpoint the date.

However, during this time I also posted using a girls name a few times and some of the guys started emailing her. A couple posters even seemed interested in her as a member of the opposite sex, but I didn't lead them on. I was conducting an experiment to see if a girls post would generate more interest. (It seemed to.)

I can't remember the girls name I used other than her last name was Lewis. The only one that knew what I was doing at the time was Twes, but I doubt if he even remembers. And no he's not one of the guys I was speaking of above either. I don't think either guy currently posts on here.

My forum name was Will Galen then and I've never changed my name.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-13-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I first started posting on the Star, but I can't give any history of crossover sites.

One of the problems I've always had is knowing who is who though the years. That's because for some reason people like to change their forum names. So it would be nice if when people reply that they give their former forum names along with what they can remember of their timeline so we can sort out the players.

My History and Timeline
    The farthest back I can remember is when the 'core' was in vogue at the Star. However, I can't pinpoint the date.

However, during this time I also posted using a girls name a few times and some of the guys started emailing her. A couple posters even seemed interested in her as a member of the opposite sex, but I didn't lead them on. I was conducting an experiment to see if a girls post would generate more interest. (It seemed to.)

I can't remember the girls name I used other than her last name was Lewis. The only one that knew what I was doing at the time was Twes, but I doubt if he even remembers. And no he's not one of the guys I was speaking of above either. I don't think either guy currently posts on here.

My forum name was Will Galen then and I've never changed my name.
    I think the moral of the story is that time flies and it seems to fly faster and faster.

You always were naughty Will.

How are you sir.

Twes

Ah memory lane stuff.

Started out at Indy Star in 98 or 99??? I do remember it was around the time discussions were going on about which Davis could be traded and Atlanta was making a push for Dale.

Got booted/evicted/slammed/and banned from the Indy Star in 2003(?) along with our good buddy Spicoli for teaming up with on some troll that we apparently made cry or something. I was never allowed to register again and of course with the thoughts thread disappearing I was ready to leave anyway I guess. Besides my friend, my pal, my hero Jon Bender told me it was time.

Was lucky to register on Hicks first attempt at PD and like a little bird the wings were a little shakey. Some how I couldn't remember my password one time and said what the heck. Finally returned months later for good.

And so we are here today on absolutely what I consider the best site in the universe. Hicks and Able once again thank you so much. I mean if you think about it the Simons are asking for money and yet our hosts are not.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Twes View Post
    I think the moral of the story is that time flies and it seems to fly faster and faster.

You always were naughty Will.

How are you sir.

Twes
    I was fine . . . until you let my secret out!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Ah memory lane stuff.

Started out at Indy Star in 98 or 99??? I do remember it was around the time discussions were going on about which Davis could be traded and Atlanta was making a push for Dale.

Got booted/evicted/slammed/and banned from the Indy Star in 2003(?) along with our good buddy Spicoli for teaming up with on some troll that we apparently made cry or something. I was never allowed to register again and of course with the thoughts thread disappearing I was ready to leave anyway I guess. Besides my friend, my pal, my hero Jon Bender told me it was time.

Was lucky to register on Hicks first attempt at PD and like a little bird the wings were a little shakey. Some how I couldn't remember my password one time and said what the heck. Finally returned months later for good.

And so we are here today on absolutely what I consider the best site in the universe. Hicks and Able once again thank you so much. I mean if you think about it the Simons are asking for money and yet our hosts are not.
    I started out on ESPN board (thanks Harddrive 7, Pacer Patty, Horsehead et al) and sometime later found the IStar board. The Core War bored the crap out of me so I stayed away as much as possible. Finally when things calmed down I jumped in. I tried like a son-of-a-gun to talk PacerFanForLife out of going PFFL on the Star board but his frustration with IThomas and The Donald was just too great and he committed suicide with the only weapon available...his keyboard. I came over here on day 1 but the monkeys were running the zoo and flinging poop everywhere. NOTHING was being moderated and anything was being said. With youngster looking over my shoulder I had to go back to a more secure site...then Hicks emailed me he was shutting down the site and installing rules. And by the powers of Mt. Olympus he came up with a purdy dern good product. Then along came Able who offered to host the site for gratis and the site has just gotten better and better.....except for a few that sound like they'd like to be on the OLD ESPN site talking smack. But hey, I prolly wouldn't mind that if I weren't so dern old now.

(although Will Galen is STILL older than me and is STILL a prick)
    Last edited by indygeezer; 03-14-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

So then, the notion hit me, and I looked over at my avatar, and I realized that I've been a member here for over 5 years, and I've only posted 350 times, lol... which I'm pretty sure would make me one of the consistently slowest long-term forum contributors around these parts
    Ha, ha, I've got you beat!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

But that forum became a troll-infested noobie ground after Artest wreaked his havoc @ The Palace, and I couldn't take anymore of it, so I hopped on over here for good (and I'm still here, so I guess that's sayin' somethin, lol)
    Ironically it was because of arguing with people about this incident in the off-topic area at a non-sports forum I ended up ending all sports discussion there and started making use of my IndyStar account.

I didn't realize that was a low point. I thought it was far better than where I'd been in terms of sympathetic ears. But it only took another year or so before I'd also had enough of A) trolls left unchecked and B) almost zero posting history.

I hate when people can talk up a bunch of crap that doesn't come close to being true and not be called to the carpet for it. I'm more than willing to have it work against me too just for this benefit.

Oh, and there's pictures of cheerleaders here too. And Adrienne Barbeau.

It's funny Minny because I think of you as a Star poster more than a PD, even though you were over here long before me.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-14-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was never on Indy Star, I'd been on a Homestar Runner board for a number of years and was tired of it and I wanted to find somewhere else to play the wolf game and thought, "I wonder if there are any pacer forums." I googled it, found this place in it's pHbb state and started the first wolf game not too long after. It's about the only thing I'm well known for here.

I mostly read the pacers stuff because my opinion is almost always already stated better than I could have put it in the first place.

It strikes me that "core" was in the 99-00 era + or - a year. Rats was a cesspool long before the artest incident. And over here we have dancing bananas.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hilariously, this is how I got into Pacer forums. You can thank Naptown Seth, even though I have never met the guy:

In the summer of 2005, after my first year of college on the East Coast, I got an internship in Indianapolis. I was reading NUVO one day while eating a burrito at the downtown Qdoba during my lunch break and I was reading about how a poster named "Naptown Seth" totally ripped Bob Kravitz on the Indystar board. I went to the board to find it for myself, liked what was going on there, and registered. I probably posted around 250-500 posts there before coming over here for good about a year later. I really like these forums because it gives me some type of connection to my hometown.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Ironically it was because of arguing with people about this incident in the off-topic area at a non-sports forum I ended up ending all sports discussion there and started making use of my IndyStar account.

I didn't realize that was a low point. I thought it was far better than where I'd been in terms of sympathetic ears. But it only took another year or so before I'd also had enough of A) trolls left unchecked and B) almost zero posting history.

I hate when people can talk up a bunch of crap that doesn't come close to being true and not be called to the carpet for it. I'm more than willing to have it work against me too just for this benefit.

Oh, and there's pictures of cheerleaders here too. And Adrienne Barbeau.

It's funny Minny because I think of you as a Star poster more than a PD, even though you were over here long before me.
    I spent a good ten years over there, and ya, when you showed up, it was probly at the worst point I'd ever seen it. It was *great* in the early years, from '98 until 2003 or so... I view the IndyStar forum as the mother forum of all Indiana sports forums... it seems like no matter what forum you're at or who you talk to, it all leads back to IndyStar.

Anyway, It's a shame that IndyStar let it go to where they did... they installed an inferior software, they let it go unmoderated, and just completely killed the experience... was sad for me to leave it.

I'm glad PD is here to allow me to continue good Pacer talk with mature fans. I'm trying to find a good Colts forum that also does the same... I had spent some time over at ColtClique.com, which is a new site spawned from IndyStar, but there's just a little too much immaturity over there at times, too much off-topic random talk.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    (although Will Galen is STILL older than me and is STILL a prick)
    I'll have you know I've reformed. No more putting pigtails in inkwell's for me.

I'm glad PD is here to allow me to continue good Pacer talk with mature fans. I'm trying to find a good Colts forum that also does the same...
    What's wrong with the Colts forum on this board? Not enough talk for you?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I started on the IStar boards shortly after i got married in 1997. The CORE stuff was around then as well, but I don't remember what it involved. I have posted under such names as PacerfaninSA, SycamorefaninSA, and maybe even PacerfaninTH, not sure what I started with. I made the move here during the first incarnation and have been here since.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's wrong with the Colts forum on this board? Not enough talk for you?
    Wellll... ya, honestly. But that's okay, this is a dedicated Pacer site with some side talk about the Colts. I mean it's a great little side-board, but when you have a site called "Pacers Digest", it kinda pigeon-holes the clientele, you know what I mean? I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just the way the site is structured. The Colts board on this site gets a lot less activity than the Pacer forum.

The Pacer forum on this site is exactly what I like for the Pacers; I'd like a Colts equivalent. That's all I meant. I'm just as passionate about the Colts as I am about the Pacers.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-14-2009 at 04:02 PM.

I was fine . . . until you let my secret out!
    I did?

The Pacer forum on this site is exactly what I like for the Pacers; I'd like a Colts equivalent. That's all I meant. I'm just as passionate about the Colts as I am about the Pacers.
    http://forum.colts.com/index.php

Not as good as PD, but not bad. It's a bit over moderated and there are 12-yr-olds posting, but they don't put up with much bad behavior, just need more Xs and Os and less "Let's get so-and-so for our team" and "what do you think of blue helmets?"
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabney Prood View Post
    Ha, ha, I've got you beat!
    Me too! I read the board daily, but I guess I'm just to lazy to contribute.

I just wish the team could get going again.

They need players with a fire in their belly for winning.

Somebody that can rebuild some playoff magic.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I started out on ESPN board (thanks Harddrive 7, Pacer Patty, Horsehead et al) and sometime later found the IStar board.
    I was there on the ESPN board also, and a female poster named JalenRoseFan or something like that, and many others. In fact, if I recall correctly, I started posting at IndyStar (then called StarNews) along with ESPN and I thought StarNews was much better (That goes to show you how bad ESPN was). I may be fuzzy in my memory, but I think I suggested to you, Geezer, to check out the StarNews forums and avoid the teenage flame-wars of ESPN.

Ah, the good old days.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

StarNews! That's it, I could not remember the previous incarnation! It was StarNews before IndyStar... thanks so much. God my memory sucks.

Mood

StarNews! That's it, I could not remember the previous incarnation! It was StarNews before IndyStar... thanks so much. God my memory sucks.
    Anybody remember when it was Indiana's Game?