Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT; Our true heritage of Hoosier Hysteria on display this weekend

Default OT; Our true heritage of Hoosier Hysteria on display this weekend

As many of you know, there may be no bigger fan of high school hoops on this or any board than I am. Perhaps it is my upbringing, perhaps it is my small town Indiana roots, maybe it is my coaching experiences at this level, or it could just be my love of all things basketball....but I can tell you that this is my favorite time of the year, and this might actually be my favorite basketball weekend of the season: Regional Saturday!

The entire format of the regional in Indiana is deeply rooted in our basketball DNA. 4 teams, 3 games, all in one day at one venue. All across the state, entire towns will be emptying themselves to hit the tournament trail, following the youngsters of their homes, chasing the dreams of basketball glory. Dads watching their sons follow their own footsteps, grandparents longingly remembering their own playing days, and in some cases dying Indiana towns looking for just some small pleasure amid the bleakness and hopelessness of the rising tides of economic recession. Memories of a lifetime, created in a 10 hour span of craziness.

On Saturday, you can watch kids play for the love of their school, instead of the love of money. Instead of worrying about bailing out billionaire business people with government money, you can pay $9 bucks for an all day pass and see 3 great games in any corner of the state you are near. From Michigan City to Washington, from Marion to Seymour to Indianapolis and all points in between, you can once again renew your love for the game and see basketball played as you remember it, and perhaps as you once played it.

Sit and imagine a better thing in life than the sounds of sneakers squeaking, of dueling bands playing loudly to be heard over the din of the crowd, or the smell of fresh popcorn hitting your nostrils from the darkened corners of the gymnasium. Compare this to the piped in music you get at Conseco, or the 6 buck hot dogs, and tell me the games Saturday can't be basketball heaven for the purists of the game.

My challenge to you reading this from somewhere in Indiana is this: take a kid with you. Take your Dad, or your uncle, or your grandfather with you. Pack up the car, take your friends, and tail gate outside on of our states grand cathedrals of basketball and tell me it isn't a great thing to experience, even if you haven't done it since you were in school, or for a very long time.

Many say class basketball has ruined or hoosier pasttime. This is not a thread meant to discuss that topic, as I still know that rubs emotions raw. But for those who are choosing not to go somewhere to a game because you think high school basketball is dead, let me tell you partner, it is very very alive! Really only in the major urban areas is attendance down, and that is among mostly bigger 4A schools. Especially in the smaller schools, enthusiasm, dedication, and attendance is all up, and excitement in many places is at an all time high.

I promise you all this: if you pick the right venue and atmosphere, you'll have a great basketball day for yourself and your family. And this year, unlike last season, I'm even going to give out some recommendations on where to go, depending on where you may be reading this from. Consider it a favor from one basketball lover to many! You'll have many great games to choose from:

1. 4A at Michigan City pits South Bend Clay vs Munster, and Valporaiso vs Elkhart Memorial, with the winners playing at night for the title. This will likely be a matchup of 23-1 Munster vs 21-3 Valporaiso at night for all the marbles, although Elkhart is cinderella here, knocking off two powerhouse teams last week, and they have one of the state's best coaches in my opinion in Mark Barnhizer.

2. 4A at Marion should be exciting! Fort Wayne Snider against Anderson in the opener, old rivals Kokomo and Marion in the second game. Anyone could win this regional, but my money is on Anderson, playing under another great Hoosier coach in Ron Hecklinski.

3. 4A at Indianapolis has teams with huge talent, but will likely be the worst crowd and atmosphere of the day. Lawrence North is the big favorite here at 24-2 with several players goign to major D1 schools, such as Louisville and Kentucky, with Indiana and Michigan State also in the mix I hear. Hamilton Southeastern comes off their first ever sectional win, and Pike and Franklin Central play the second game. Franklin is very good, with all state player Patrick Bade headed to Purdue. Look for Lawrence North to march on.

4. 4A at Seymour in the "Owl's Nest" (one of the states best venues) is where I will be in the morning personally, to watch #1 ranked and undefeated Bloomington South hook up with #2 ranked and undefeated New Albany. South has several D1 level players, including Iu recruit and likely Mr Basketball Jordan Hulls playing the point. New Albany is no slouch either, having gone undefeated 2 consecutive regular seasons. 6'7 Donnie Hale is their big gun, and is likely headed to play for Rick Pitino I hear.
    A sellout crowd is expected in the morning, although experience tells me there will be limited tickets at the door if you show up early enough. My guess is that the nations 4th ranked Bloomington South Panthers march on.

5. 3A in Plymouth has Rochester, Griffith, West Lafayette, and Gary Roosevelt. Plymouth is a fun place to see a game when the home team is playing, but I dont know what the crowd will be there this time. I'm guessing Rochester marches on.

6. 3A at Blackford has Peru and Delta in the first game, Whitko and Fort Wayne Harding in the second game. I have little information on these teams, but my guess is that this is one of the lighter attended regionals. Whitko is my pick to advance. Athough Harding has the worst record, they play a very hard schedule, and they could move on instead.

7. 3A Shelbyville. Shelbyville is a fun gym to see games at, and fans there will see New Palestine, North Montgomery, Greensburg, and perennial power Indianapolis Roncalli. North Mont should march on in front of a pretty good crowd.

8. 3A Washington. In my opinion, the states best regional and best gymnasium. Hoosier hysteria will have the town rocking all day Saturday, and Tbird and friends will be there at night for the final. Tickets are sold out as of 5 oclock today I am told, but SRO tickets will be sold at the door. Over 8500 will be crammed in the venerable "Hatchet House" on Saturday morning for Salem 19-4, vs Washington 21-2 (defending champ, ranked number 2), then Edgewood 16-7 takes on undefeated, 25-0 and ranked number 1 Princeton. Look for the 2 favorites to advance to the championship Saturday night, where a Hoosier hysteria classic is expected. If you guys reading this love basketball and want to try out what I am selling, THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO!

You can even pm me for restaurant information, if you like. Readers of this board like you DD, you would have a blast going to Washington Saturday night....but you better get there by 6 for a 7:30 start to get in! Or, if you head to the morning session (which will also be a blast) you better get there by 8:45 or so, no later! I look for Washington, with yet another Zeller brother, to upset number 1 Princeton!

9. 2A North Judson is the host of their own regional. They invite 21-3 Wheeler to play themselves, with Westview and Garrett to play the second game. I like Westview here, although it is just an educated guess.

10. 2A Tipton will be a blast. Their gym is known statewide as "the Inferno", and it indeed will be hot in Tipton on Saturday! All 4 of these teams have great storylines....North Miami with an interim coach hired midseason, Carroll of Flora has had a great season, Fort Wayne Luers with a proud tradition of state titles, and Tipton at 23-2 with Indiana recruit Derek Elston being near a legend in his hometown. Look for the party to go deep into the night at Tipton, as I think they'll dance on.

11. 2A at Connersville for you easterners pits perennial power Winchester and Centerville in the first game, with Lawrenceburg and Indianapolis Ritter going in the second. I really don't have any idea who will win, but I do know that there are few greater communities that support high school basketball than Winchester. Look for a big crowd to bring them over the top.

12. 2A at Huntingburg. This is annually one of my favorite stops, and would be a great place for some of you to head on Saturday, not for super high quality of play but for the surroundings. Memorial Coliseum is an outstanding gymansium right in the middle of Huntingburg, which is a great Indiana sports area and town. They actually play the theme from "Hoosiers" over the loud speakers thru out the entire town all day long there. If you go, I highly recommend "The Overtime Bar and Grill" right downtown within walking distance of the gymnasium, for the worlds biggest tenderloin! The local coach at Southridge used to own that bar, and I think he still does although Im not sure.

The games pit Covenent Christian vs Forest Park in the first game, with Bloomfield and Brownstown in the second. Some of the best coaches in the state are here this weekend, Ron Mcbride of Bloomfield is a big believer in the slow down game, and he will try to keep Dave Benter's Brownstown Braves from running the floor....this game may be in the 20's!

In the other game, the state's winningest coach by percentage is Tom Beach of Forest Park, who won it all under him just a couple of years ago. I look for the Forest Park Rangers to win both games and march on!

13. 1A at Triton. Triton is 21-2 playing Bethany Christian in the first game, the second pits Bowman Academy at 18-3 vs the Cinderella story of the Caston Comets, who won only 1 game all season before miraculously winning 3 last weekend to win the sectional!

My heart is with Caston, but reality will strike against Bowman Academy, who I predict will also beat Triton in the nightcap and move on.

14. 1A at Frankfort. The home of the hot dogs is the host for Monroe Central, Daleville, Lafayette Central Catholic, and the Rockville Rox. LCC has the tradition and experience, but I am going to rock on and go with the Rockville Rox to march on.

15. 1A at Martinsville in John Wooden Arena. A trip to Bynums steak house may be in order for these teams and their fans: Bethesda Christian, Waldron, 21-2 and highly favored Jac-Cen-Del, and the Clay City Eels, making their first regional appearance since 1985 I think. My guess here is that JCD cuts down the nets.

16. 1A at Loogootee. Again, this is an awesome atmosphere for games, and one I'd recommend if any of you want to make a road trip. I look for the Jack Butcher Arena to be sold out, but SRO tickets will likely be available if you arrive early enough. Great amish restaurants nearby as well!

Nearby school North Daviess advanced in very controversial fashion last week, and fans of rival schools are buying tickets just to root against them I hear! Now that is truly Hoosier hysteria! ND plays the Tecumseh Braves, followed by the Northeast Dubois Jeeps against one of the states best coaches in my opinion, Doc Nash and his Borden Braves. All of these teamns have awesome fan support, especially North Daviess and Borden, who I predict will both advance to the championship. My hope and prediction here is that justice finally prevails here, and that the Borden Braves celebrate all the way back home. You can read about what I am referring to in the North Daviess sectional by reading about it in the Washington Indiana newspaper by the way.

To review, the state's best venues and matchups tell me youll have fun anywhere Saturday, but I especially recommend Washington, Loogootee, Seymour, Huntingburg, and Tipton. Enjoy the spirit and passion wherever you go, as the celebration of our basketball heritage continues on once again!

Banned

Default Re: OT; Our true heritage of Hoosier Hysteria on display this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As many of you know, there may be no bigger fan of high school hoops on this or any board than I am. Perhaps it is my upbringing, perhaps it is my small town Indiana roots, maybe it is my coaching experiences at this level, or it could just be my love of all things basketball....but I can tell you that this is my favorite time of the year, and this might actually be my favorite basketball weekend of the season: Regional Saturday!

The entire format of the regional in Indiana is deeply rooted in our basketball DNA. 4 teams, 3 games, all in one day at one venue. All across the state, entire towns will be emptying themselves to hit the tournament trail, following the youngsters of their homes, chasing the dreams of basketball glory. Dads watching their sons follow their own footsteps, grandparents longingly remembering their own playing days, and in some cases dying Indiana towns looking for just some small pleasure amid the bleakness and hopelessness of the rising tides of economic recession. Memories of a lifetime, created in a 10 hour span of craziness.

On Saturday, you can watch kids play for the love of their school, instead of the love of money. Instead of worrying about bailing out billionaire business people with government money, you can pay $9 bucks for an all day pass and see 3 great games in any corner of the state you are near. From Michigan City to Washington, from Marion to Seymour to Indianapolis and all points in between, you can once again renew your love for the game and see basketball played as you remember it, and perhaps as you once played it.

Sit and imagine a better thing in life than the sounds of sneakers squeaking, of dueling bands playing loudly to be heard over the din of the crowd, or the smell of fresh popcorn hitting your nostrils from the darkened corners of the gymnasium. Compare this to the piped in music you get at Conseco, or the 6 buck hot dogs, and tell me the games Saturday can't be basketball heaven for the purists of the game.

My challenge to you reading this from somewhere in Indiana is this: take a kid with you. Take your Dad, or your uncle, or your grandfather with you. Pack up the car, take your friends, and tail gate outside on of our states grand cathedrals of basketball and tell me it isn't a great thing to experience, even if you haven't done it since you were in school, or for a very long time.

Many say class basketball has ruined or hoosier pasttime. This is not a thread meant to discuss that topic, as I still know that rubs emotions raw. But for those who are choosing not to go somewhere to a game because you think high school basketball is dead, let me tell you partner, it is very very alive! Really only in the major urban areas is attendance down, and that is among mostly bigger 4A schools. Especially in the smaller schools, enthusiasm, dedication, and attendance is all up, and excitement in many places is at an all time high.

I promise you all this: if you pick the right venue and atmosphere, you'll have a great basketball day for yourself and your family. And this year, unlike last season, I'm even going to give out some recommendations on where to go, depending on where you may be reading this from. Consider it a favor from one basketball lover to many! You'll have many great games to choose from:

1. 4A at Michigan City pits South Bend Clay vs Munster, and Valporaiso vs Elkhart Memorial, with the winners playing at night for the title. This will likely be a matchup of 23-1 Munster vs 21-3 Valporaiso at night for all the marbles, although Elkhart is cinderella here, knocking off two powerhouse teams last week, and they have one of the state's best coaches in my opinion in Mark Barnhizer.

2. 4A at Marion should be exciting! Fort Wayne Snider against Anderson in the opener, old rivals Kokomo and Marion in the second game. Anyone could win this regional, but my money is on Anderson, playing under another great Hoosier coach in Ron Hecklinski.

3. 4A at Indianapolis has teams with huge talent, but will likely be the worst crowd and atmosphere of the day. Lawrence North is the big favorite here at 24-2 with several players goign to major D1 schools, such as Louisville and Kentucky, with Indiana and Michigan State also in the mix I hear. Hamilton Southeastern comes off their first ever sectional win, and Pike and Franklin Central play the second game. Franklin is very good, with all state player Patrick Bade headed to Purdue. Look for Lawrence North to march on.

4. 4A at Seymour in the "Owl's Nest" (one of the states best venues) is where I will be in the morning personally, to watch #1 ranked and undefeated Bloomington South hook up with #2 ranked and undefeated New Albany. South has several D1 level players, including Iu recruit and likely Mr Basketball Jordan Hulls playing the point. New Albany is no slouch either, having gone undefeated 2 consecutive regular seasons. 6'7 Donnie Hale is their big gun, and is likely headed to play for Rick Pitino I hear.
    A sellout crowd is expected in the morning, although experience tells me there will be limited tickets at the door if you show up early enough. My guess is that the nations 4th ranked Bloomington South Panthers march on.

5. 3A in Plymouth has Rochester, Griffith, West Lafayette, and Gary Roosevelt. Plymouth is a fun place to see a game when the home team is playing, but I dont know what the crowd will be there this time. I'm guessing Rochester marches on.

6. 3A at Blackford has Peru and Delta in the first game, Whitko and Fort Wayne Harding in the second game. I have little information on these teams, but my guess is that this is one of the lighter attended regionals. Whitko is my pick to advance. Athough Harding has the worst record, they play a very hard schedule, and they could move on instead.

7. 3A Shelbyville. Shelbyville is a fun gym to see games at, and fans there will see New Palestine, North Montgomery, Greensburg, and perennial power Indianapolis Roncalli. North Mont should march on in front of a pretty good crowd.

8. 3A Washington. In my opinion, the states best regional and best gymnasium. Hoosier hysteria will have the town rocking all day Saturday, and Tbird and friends will be there at night for the final. Tickets are sold out as of 5 oclock today I am told, but SRO tickets will be sold at the door. Over 8500 will be crammed in the venerable "Hatchet House" on Saturday morning for Salem 19-4, vs Washington 21-2 (defending champ, ranked number 2), then Edgewood 16-7 takes on undefeated, 25-0 and ranked number 1 Princeton. Look for the 2 favorites to advance to the championship Saturday night, where a Hoosier hysteria classic is expected. If you guys reading this love basketball and want to try out what I am selling, THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO!

You can even pm me for restaurant information, if you like. Readers of this board like you DD, you would have a blast going to Washington Saturday night....but you better get there by 6 for a 7:30 start to get in! Or, if you head to the morning session (which will also be a blast) you better get there by 8:45 or so, no later! I look for Washington, with yet another Zeller brother, to upset number 1 Princeton!

9. 2A North Judson is the host of their own regional. They invite 21-3 Wheeler to play themselves, with Westview and Garrett to play the second game. I like Westview here, although it is just an educated guess.

10. 2A Tipton will be a blast. Their gym is known statewide as "the Inferno", and it indeed will be hot in Tipton on Saturday! All 4 of these teams have great storylines....North Miami with an interim coach hired midseason, Carroll of Flora has had a great season, Fort Wayne Luers with a proud tradition of state titles, and Tipton at 23-2 with Indiana recruit Derek Elston being near a legend in his hometown. Look for the party to go deep into the night at Tipton, as I think they'll dance on.

11. 2A at Connersville for you easterners pits perennial power Winchester and Centerville in the first game, with Lawrenceburg and Indianapolis Ritter going in the second. I really don't have any idea who will win, but I do know that there are few greater communities that support high school basketball than Winchester. Look for a big crowd to bring them over the top.

12. 2A at Huntingburg. This is annually one of my favorite stops, and would be a great place for some of you to head on Saturday, not for super high quality of play but for the surroundings. Memorial Coliseum is an outstanding gymansium right in the middle of Huntingburg, which is a great Indiana sports area and town. They actually play the theme from "Hoosiers" over the loud speakers thru out the entire town all day long there. If you go, I highly recommend "The Overtime Bar and Grill" right downtown within walking distance of the gymnasium, for the worlds biggest tenderloin! The local coach at Southridge used to own that bar, and I think he still does although Im not sure.

The games pit Covenent Christian vs Forest Park in the first game, with Bloomfield and Brownstown in the second. Some of the best coaches in the state are here this weekend, Ron Mcbride of Bloomfield is a big believer in the slow down game, and he will try to keep Dave Benter's Brownstown Braves from running the floor....this game may be in the 20's!

In the other game, the state's winningest coach by percentage is Tom Beach of Forest Park, who won it all under him just a couple of years ago. I look for the Forest Park Rangers to win both games and march on!

13. 1A at Triton. Triton is 21-2 playing Bethany Christian in the first game, the second pits Bowman Academy at 18-3 vs the Cinderella story of the Caston Comets, who won only 1 game all season before miraculously winning 3 last weekend to win the sectional!

My heart is with Caston, but reality will strike against Bowman Academy, who I predict will also beat Triton in the nightcap and move on.

14. 1A at Frankfort. The home of the hot dogs is the host for Monroe Central, Daleville, Lafayette Central Catholic, and the Rockville Rox. LCC has the tradition and experience, but I am going to rock on and go with the Rockville Rox to march on.

15. 1A at Martinsville in John Wooden Arena. A trip to Bynums steak house may be in order for these teams and their fans: Bethesda Christian, Waldron, 21-2 and highly favored Jac-Cen-Del, and the Clay City Eels, making their first regional appearance since 1985 I think. My guess here is that JCD cuts down the nets.

16. 1A at Loogootee. Again, this is an awesome atmosphere for games, and one I'd recommend if any of you want to make a road trip. I look for the Jack Butcher Arena to be sold out, but SRO tickets will likely be available if you arrive early enough. Great amish restaurants nearby as well!

Nearby school North Daviess advanced in very controversial fashion last week, and fans of rival schools are buying tickets just to root against them I hear! Now that is truly Hoosier hysteria! ND plays the Tecumseh Braves, followed by the Northeast Dubois Jeeps against one of the states best coaches in my opinion, Doc Nash and his Borden Braves. All of these teamns have awesome fan support, especially North Daviess and Borden, who I predict will both advance to the championship. My hope and prediction here is that justice finally prevails here, and that the Borden Braves celebrate all the way back home. You can read about what I am referring to in the North Daviess sectional by reading about it in the Washington Indiana newspaper by the way.

To review, the state's best venues and matchups tell me youll have fun anywhere Saturday, but I especially recommend Washington, Loogootee, Seymour, Huntingburg, and Tipton. Enjoy the spirit and passion wherever you go, as the celebration of our basketball heritage continues on once again!

I plan on attending games at Huntingburg and you are dead on with this post. Thanks for taking the time to make this post, I consider it one of your best posts to date. Your normal threads are a bit too technical for my old brain to absorb.

Great post tbird.

Great post!
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So yeah, I totally missed every Loogootee home game this year. I miss being in that gym.

Just to add some more background on Washington and Connorsville:

At Washington today, several fans of Princeton came from out of town to attempt to buy tickets, as the entire community of Princeton is on fire with excitment and wants to be there. Washington however was requiring a local Washington drivers license, to prevent Princeton fans from doing this, which I suppose created quite a stir!

Princeton and Washington have both sold their allotment of tickets completely, but I have it on good authority that Salem and Edgewood both returned some to the school. They go on sale on a first come first serve basis tomorrow morning at gate 3 of the Hatchet House....this time, anyone can buy them supposedly.

Thankfully, I already got my tickets this afternoon.

I forgot to mention in my previous post one of the awesome venues in Indiana, which is the famous "Spartan Bowl" in Connorsville. C-Ville hasnt adavanced past the sectional in the class era, but it remains a great hoops town, and I am happy for those area kids that the administration there at Connorsville has agreed to host the tournament again after a long break.

Duke Dynamite: As much as you and the dustpan love hoops, you should really drive somewhere fun Saturday, and get away from all the business talk of the Pacers and just enjoy the spirit of the game....Loogootee will have an electric atmosphere with I think the entire towns of Odon, Dubois, and Borden expected to be there practically.

Nerd.
    Mood

I remember playing Loogootee in high school. We went to 6 OTs with them at our place in 1999. The slowdown, stall-ball isn't fun to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    I remember playing Loogootee in high school. We went to 6 OTs with them at our place in 1999. The slowdown, stall-ball isn't fun to play against.

You went to Orleans I presume? The game you are referring to ended up 34-31 Loogootee in 5 Overtimes I think. I was there scouting Loogootee that day I remember.

Your alma mater has a great coach in Tom Bradley, one of the best around, and a class act as well. Orleans had a devastating loss last weekend, losing to NE Dubois in the last seconds.

Mood

Wow, thanks TBird. We may check that out. If we do I'll bring my camera.

Nerd.
    Mood

You went to Orleans I presume? The game you are referring to ended up 34-31 Loogootee in 5 Overtimes I think. I was there scouting Loogootee that day I remember.

Your alma mater has a great coach in Tom Bradley, one of the best around, and a class act as well. Orleans had a devastating loss last weekend, losing to NE Dubois in the last seconds.
    Yeah, Orleans is where I went and played. Rode the bench most of the time...haha...and yes, it was 5 I think....at that point in the game, you start to lose track...once again, that stall ball methodology isn't fun to play against. Tom Bradley is a great guy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I lost all interest in high school hoops when they went to the 4-class system. Ugh.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Anyone interested in taping the Loogootee game? Would love to go, but it's too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I lost all interest in high school hoops when they went to the 4-class system. Ugh.
    That's been my thought since the thread went up, but I don't really want to sidetrack it into a class basketball debate. It's great that these guys still have the passion for it, but I just don't have it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245

Daleville comes to this regional from the Southern Wells sectional, which was finished on Monday night. The usual Saturday final was delayed because of a power outage caused by a racoon poking into the transformer.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

woman without a team

That's great that HSE finally won a sectional. My junior year they didn't win a game the whole season.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Anyone interested in taping the Loogootee game? Would love to go, but it's too far away.
    No video cameras.

I will be taking photos of the championship game, though.

To review, the state's best venues and matchups tell me youll have fun anywhere Saturday, but I especially recommend Washington, Loogootee, Seymour, Huntingburg, and Tipton.
    Cool you mention these as the best atmospheres. Especially Loogootee and Washington. While both highschools were in different classes than mine, both teams were always on our schedule every season. My alma mater has experienced success the last few years in the sectional. Figures they start winning sectional championships as soon as i graduate.

Mood

Well, it looks like we aren't going anywhere tomorrow. dustpan had a meeting thrown at her at 8 PM. Of all times!

I haven't been back to Jack Butcher Arena since I left Loogootee. I was looking forward to getting some good shots.

Ugh....................

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Same here. *sigh*.

I still get excited when the local high school plays, but the sectional and regional are so far away it isn't easy to just bop over to the game any more.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On Saturday, you can watch kids play for the love of their school, instead of the love of money.
    Unless you go to the Frankfort regional, and watch LCC play. A private school that's allowed to recruit and can control their school size. There's a reason why they won 7 straight state titles.

I HATE Winchester, as a town, with a passion. However, I do know quite a few kids on the team, and they are great kids. Tyler Koch is the real deal. I'm glad he was wise enough to pick a school for academic reasons, as opposed to athletic ones, but it sucks he didn't go to a major D1 school like PU or Michigan both of whom wanted badly.

I hope WC comes out on top though. Two straight state finals appearances only to barely get beat out in both has to be hard, and Tyler is a great kid who deserves a winning ring. He has played two of the best individual games the 2A finals have ever seen. I doubt they'll get there again, Brock Morrison who graduated last year, was the the unherald MVP the previous two years IMHO.

I will be here for the finals game, as of now. As a graduate of MC, I fully expect them to beat the snot out of Daleville, like we do every season. Rockville escaped last year against us, 64-63, and we returned all but one major contributor, so it should be an interesting match up again.

MC is ranked #10 with a 18-6 record. Out of those losses, two comes against Winchester, and one each to Marion, New Castle and Wapahani.

All ranked teams in their respected classes(except NC).

Unforunately, that building hasn't been very kind to me. I lost to Tri-Central there in '04, and had a horrible individual game. Ugh...

Then again, Tipton in '03 didn't treat me very kindly either. (Got fouled on a dunk attempt and then missed both FTs, which is very unlike me.

Angry Re: OT; Our true heritage of Hoosier Hysteria on display this weekend

I don't want to turn this into a class basketball debate, either. The guy who actually implemented the system lives pretty close to my childhood home, I've been tempted to egg his house on numerous occasions.

I had a cousin who played for Shelbyville in the mind 1990's when they were a really good program, made it to the semi-state twice. His junior year they played Ben Davis and got beat pretty badly, Courtney James played for Ben Davis and that time and I remember thinking he could be an NBA player someday, too bad he was a moron and basically got kicked out of Minnesota. Needless to say, there was no answer for Courtney James from Shelbyville that day. Back then Shelbyville had a sharpshooter named Chad Adkins who ended up being a good rotational player for ISU, but was later arrested for lottery fraud. Silly jocks, he's probably delivering pizza now.

The next year they made it back to semi-state, really great regional that year and I can't remember who else used to play in the regional, but wow there were some great, close games. I know Franklin (Grizzly Cubs) were in that regional and there were some other teams who I just can't recall. I have been out of Indiana far too long. Anyway they won the regional and went to play Anderson in the semi-state, actually played them very close but ended up losing by 10 or so.

I'll never forget being in Hinkle during those times though. The atmosphere was just electric. I remember the individual schools with different sections throughout Hinkle coordinating their individual cheers. As a 10 year old the whole thing seemed HUGE to me. I would have taken my future children back to Indiana just to see that. Imagine, nowhere else but in Indiana before class basketball would anyone take a child 500+ miles to see high school basketball, of all things. It is pretty sad that future generations won't be able to experience a single class system.
    Last edited by idioteque; 03-13-2009 at 01:50 PM.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I don't want to turn this into a class basketball debate, either. The guy who actually implemented the system lives pretty close to my childhood home, I've been tempted to egg his house on numerous occasions.

I had a cousin who played for Shelbyville in the mind 1990's when they were a really good program, made it to the semi-state twice. His junior year they played Ben Davis and got beat pretty badly, Courtney James played for Ben Davis and that time and I remember thinking he could be an NBA player someday, too bad he was a moron and basically got kicked out of Minnesota. Needless to say, there was no answer for Courtney James from Shelbyville that day. Back then Shelbyville had a sharpshooter named Chad Adkins who ended up being a good rotational player for ISU, but was later arrested for lottery fraud. Silly jocks, he's probably delivering pizza now.

The next year they made it back to semi-state, really great regional that year and I can't remember who else used to play in the regional, but wow there were some great, close games. I know Franklin (Grizzly Cubs) were in that regional and there were some other teams who I just can't recall. I have been out of Indiana far too long. Anyway they won the regional and went to play Anderson in the semi-state, actually played them very close but ended up losing by 10 or so.

I'll never forget being in Hinkle during those times though. The atmosphere was just electric. I remember the individual schools with different sections throughout Hinkle coordinating their individual cheers. As a 10 year old the whole thing seemed HUGE to me. I would have taken my future children back to Indiana just to see that. Imagine, nowhere else but in Indiana before class basketball would anyone take a child 500+ miles to see high school basketball, of all things. It is pretty sad that future generations won't be able to experience a single class system.
    I unfortunately grew up in the class system. I never got to experience the atmosphere of single class basketball and i was too young to remember single class. I wish it was single class today though. I would be far more likely to go to basketball games of teams i have no connection to whatsoever just to experience the ambiance of a small school trying to knock off a giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    I unfortunately grew up in the class system. I never got to experience the atmosphere of single class basketball and i was too young to remember single class. I wish it was single class today though. I would be far more likely to go to basketball games of teams i have no connection to whatsoever just to experience the ambiance of a small school trying to knock off a giant.

Then go to a small school sectional. You will still get that feeling.

As a player who played for a 1A school, and who has played multiple 4A-2A every season, the biggest games are your rival schools regardless of the school size.

Class basketball might have damped the feeling for people from larger schools, but that is probably only because they aren't guaranteed a sectional championship anymore. (Look at New Castle's post season records before and after class)

Come to Randolph County next year in early Jan. for our county tournament. In '04 we played at Union, not Union Dugger, which holds has a stated capacity of around 1300. Tickets to the Monroe Central/Winchester game were being scapled outside for $20 for one game. People were sitting in the aisles and standing along the baseline. That gym had to be reaching 100degrees.

Out of all the games I played in high school, that one will stick out the most, and it wasn't even the finals game. That that small of a gym to be that packed full was one of the most exciting games I could ever imagine to be a part of.

Like Tbird said. Hoosier Hysteria is alive and well. You just have to get outside of 4A gyms.

I still have that game tape if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Since86; 03-13-2009 at 02:49 PM.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Class basketball might have damped the feeling for people from larger schools, but that is probably only because they aren't guaranteed a sectional championship anymore.
    Excuse my language but that's bull crap as far as I'm concerned. There are no guarantees on who's going to win. Had there been my senior year wouldn't have been further ruined by Noblesville losing to Carmel on a last second shot. Carmel didn't even win the sectional that year--Sheridan did.

Smaller schools' teams can be every bit as dangerous as a bigger school's team. Because of class basketball we'll never know how Heritage Christian's girls team stacked up against bigger schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Class basketball might have damped the feeling for people from larger schools, but that is probably only because they aren't guaranteed a sectional championship anymore.
    My high school had 400 students when I graduated. We played in the Ben Davis sectional, and had never won a single sectional game in the 17 years of our existence when I graduated. To my knowledge, they never won a sectional game after that in the single class tournament.

I still hate class basketball.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I can say the county tournament gets people fired up a lot more around here than sectionals nowadays.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh