Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danny out tonight...Shooting for Friday return....

Default Danny out tonight...Shooting for Friday return....

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...55/1004/SPORTS

March 10, 2009

Granger remains sidelined as red-hot Jazz visit

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

The Indiana Pacers returned from their three-city West Coast trip feeling good after gaining ground in the playoff race. They're also a game closer to having their leading scorer return.

But there's a catch: They'll be without Danny Granger tonight and have to beat the hottest team in the NBA if they expect to gain or maintain their ground in the Eastern Conference.

The Utah Jazz have won 11 consecutive games and are 14-1 since Feb. 1.

"When you play against them, you have to bring your hard hat," Pacers guard Jarrett Jack said.
    Center Mehmet Okur scored a career-high 43 points in the Jazz's victory against the Pacers in January. Utah and San Antonio are the only teams among the NBA's top seven that the Pacers haven't beaten.

"You have to make sure you take pride in protecting the paint," coach Jim O'Brien said.
    "They run the same offense and just execute the heck out of it. It's very unique to the NBA."

The Pacers are 4-2 in their past six games and 6-3 since All-Star Granger suffered a partially torn tendon in his right foot.

Scoreboard watching has become a habit for the Pacers, who have just 17 games remaining to climb over and move ahead of four tightly bunched teams for the final playoff spot. They have four games left against teams they're chasing -- Chicago (twice), Charlotte and Milwaukee.

"It's always good when you're in a situation where every game is meaningful," O'Brien said.
    "As a result, your players don't need the coaching staff to keep them focused. They are focused. They understand the meaning of every basketball game."

Granger said his goal is to return Friday at Atlanta.

Granger has yet to practice with his teammates, but he did individual drills -- shooting, ballhandling, cutting -- with assistant coach Frank Vogel after practice Monday.

Lateral movement still puts stress on his foot.

"I can't do everything yet," Granger said.

"I'm getting most of it back. Some things I'm still limited with. I have to make sure when I come back I'm definitely ready and I'm not half speed. (The team has) been playing very well."

The Pacers have had success without Granger by spreading the scoring.

They have had a different scoring leader in four of the nine games he has missed. Jack is averaging 21.9 points a game in that span.

"It really has nothing do with who is on the court or who is not on the court," O'Brien said. "It has to do with the fact when we started the year, half the team was brand new and it's a matter of guys getting comfortable with the schemes, the offense. And when Danny went down, our guys were just starting to get comfortable with what we want to accomplish at both ends of the court, and when he comes back, I don't think there will be any difficulty of him getting back into the flow of things."

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Danny out tonight...Shooting for Friday return....

This looks good.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Foster is out too.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Hopefully we see some McBob tonight. I'd like to see what he's capable of against Okur.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foster is out too.

That just gives someone else the opportunity to hit the bunnies he is notorious for missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Hopefully we see some McBob tonight. I'd like to see what he's capable of against Okur.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if JO'B plays him.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    That just gives someone else the opportunity to hit the bunnies he is notorious for missing.
    Someone would have to get his offensive rebounds to hit his bunnies.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This was from the ESPN article on Granger's return...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3968147
    AP
    Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    Granger said the foot injury likely came from overcompensating for soreness in his right knee that had been bothering him since before the All-Star break. He played limited minutes in the All-Star Game to protect himself from risking further damage, but eventually ended up hurting it anyway.
    So. Pissed. Off.

When will anyone be held accountable for the poor decisions regarding the health of our players? Was there no one on the Pacers training staff that would have foreseen this situation?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo

"I can't do everything yet," Granger said.

"I'm getting most of it back. Some things I'm still limited with. I have to make sure when I come back I'm definitely ready and I'm not half speed. (The team has) been playing very well."[/B]
    So....no one else is concerned about this little statement?

I know that we are still in the Playoff hunt and need our best Player to help us out....but not at a cost of still playing injured.

I get the sense that he is not 100% but more like 75%. I would much rather wait for Granger to heal to the point where he can actually play at an acceptable rate....not get back an injured-but-healing Granger. I just don't want to aggrevate any injuries that he has.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

His interview during the game tonight mentioned that he has scar tissue on the foot tendon that needs breaking up through movement and exercise and this will help with return to 100%. During the Clips game, I believe, I heard he's lacking lateral quickness (proby via pushing off his planted foot), which is obviously required for defense as well as other stuff.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    During the Clips game, I believe, I heard he's lacking lateral quickness (proby via pushing off his planted foot), which is obviously required for defense as well as other stuff.
    He hasn't tried defensively all season, so that shouldn't affect him much.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This was from the ESPN article on Granger's return...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3968147
    AP

So. Pissed. Off.

When will anyone be held accountable for the poor decisions regarding the health of our players? Was there no one on the Pacers training staff that would have foreseen this situation?
    You know, it isn't like Danny is saying "it still hurts" and the training staff is forcing him onto the court with cattle prods.

These players are competitive and used to saying to themselves, "it hurts but I can play through it" and then telling the medical staff that it feels good enough to play on.

At some point, players and coaches make a decision to play through an injury or not. Sure, it'd be better to sit Danny any time there is an injury that might cause him to shift how he plays for a game or two, but then he (and a lot of other guys who play hard) would spend their entire careers on the bench.

All the medical staff can do is work with what they are told and make recommendations. The player and the coach decide what to do after that.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    You know, it isn't like Danny is saying "it still hurts" and the training staff is forcing him onto the court with cattle prods.

These players are competitive and used to saying to themselves, "it hurts but I can play through it" and then telling the medical staff that it feels good enough to play on.

At some point, players and coaches make a decision to play through an injury or not. Sure, it'd be better to sit Danny any time there is an injury that might cause him to shift how he plays for a game or two, but then he (and a lot of other guys who play hard) would spend their entire careers on the bench.

All the medical staff can do is work with what they are told and make recommendations. The player and the coach decide what to do after that.
    Thank you.

Seems like so many think injuries are an exact science when in reality it is all a guessing game with soooo many variables thrown in.

Mood

Exactly, it feels like I have been the only one to scream, plead, and defend the training staff all along.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Exactly, it feels like I have been the only one to scream, plead, and defend the training staff all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Thank you.

Seems like so many think injuries are an exact science when in reality it is all a guessing game with soooo many variables thrown in.
    But it makes us all feel so much better when we can blame someone.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Well, yeah, Since86 has been there, but it would be far too logical to listen to someone who knows what he's talking about. This is the Internet, fer cryin' out loud.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I wish Kaufman would post with regularity. He would be THE person to listen too, considering he does it for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Thank you.

Yeah I guess people forget that it is considered a medical practice.

Mood

Sorry, sometimes your posts get mixed in with all the others. Didn't mean to bust your chops.

Ah, it's cool. I thought you had me on ignore, like Grace. JK, I think....

I've been trying to bite my tongue on the subject. Whatever is said might squash the posts about how messed up our staff is for the day, but tomorrow the same people will be right back at it. The definition of crazy is doing the same things and expecting different results (or something close to that). Well I'm not looking to be called crazy.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Dude, dissed hard.

What do you know though. You still think concussions are more than just a headache, but I've seen enough Chuck Norris movies to know that a good player would just shake that crap off.

My movie medical knowledge>>>>>your real medical knowledge

This is why when the zombies come you're getting chomped while I escape to a mall/farmhouse. Of course some will say that I went nuts and started shooting innocent people in the head because they had colds and/or nosebleeds and then holed up in my shack/Foot Locker making insane demands...but I'll know better.

ps - only the Most Offensive Poster could go off-topic this badly, vote now or risk being labeled a zombie

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    But it makes us all feel so much better when we can blame someone.
    Oooh, sounds like someone just volunteered.

What, you don't like us enough to want us to feel better? I suppose you hate children and puppies too.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

ps - only the Most Offensive Poster could go off-topic this badly, vote now or risk being labeled a zombie
    More like ADD.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Oooh, sounds like someone just volunteered.

What, you don't like us enough to want us to feel better? I suppose you hate children and puppies too.
    just children.