Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Post-Game: Utah wins game in last 8 minutes

any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Post-Game: Utah wins game in last 8 minutes

Thought Ford, Jack and Daniels looked good driving to the basket and Murph, Rasho, and Roy didn't look half bad.

Lots of TOs but Utah leads the league in steals.

Guys need to learn not to backdoor cut and pass when Utah overplays the passing lanes. So many backcourt TOs that led to breakaway layups on the other end.

If games were only 1 half long Troy Murphy would be a superstar.

BTW... that's not a knock on Murphy. I think we tend to overuse him in the 1st half and milk him for everything we can, plus the other team learns to adjust to his 3 point prowess and negates some of his offensive effectiveness.

If it wasn't for Murphy I'm not sure the Pacers would've still be in the game with 8 mins to go in the 1st place.

Any more I tend to tune the game in, catch a little action early. Then do some stuff with the game on in the background and finally catch the 4th qtr. I'm no longer sure watching the other 3 qtrs gives us a read at all on what is going to happen. Whether the Pacers are dominating or not, it will come down to the 4th qtr and be a tight game. Utah just seemed to be the more disciplined team when it mattered and pulled away using us as our own worst enemy.

Part of me also wonders... When we're in a game against a really disciplined team, should we see more of Diener? I think he runs the offense better (in spurts any way) and we break more team defenses down getting them out of position as opposed to Marquis or TJ freelancing something. But that's an observation and not necessarily backed up by hard evaluation, game tapes, and stats.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

We were killed by our turnovers tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So. Maybe the solution is to bench him until he second half, when games are actually won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersRule View Post
    We were killed by our turnovers tonight...
    Pretty much the story.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Mood

Even though we lost tonight i had a blast at the game tonight. Murph lit it up in the first half. Its a shame we couldn't hit baskets in the 3rd and 4th. The turnovers and a few bad calls sucked

The fans came alive when murph was on fire from the 3 point line.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Utah is playing maybe the best ball in the league at the moment... not really that surprising that they took it to us.

We stuck with them longer than I thought we would, and they put us away midway thru the 4th. Good teams do that.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

When Murph hit his 6th the whole crowd buzzed, and as it came back down you could hear chirping about "give it to Murph". So when they did and he nailed it the place of course went nuts. You follow that with a defensive stop and a 3 by Rush (IIRC) and the place was on fire. It was a really good feeling, the kind of vibe you used to get all the time. I miss that.

BTW, did you guys see Murph after he made the 7th three? He did this funny pose thing that was definitely out of character which shows just how much he was feeling it.

Also after his first or 2nd three it was right after he got his shot swiped and it seemed like a no-call foul. So he hit the three and went TINSLEY on us..." and one m**********", and he glared at the ref the entire way back while yelling it. Maybe that's what got him fired up.

Now the negative on Troy - hands up, who thinks he's a better guy on the glass than Dale or Kellogg in his prime or even Antonio. Hopefully no hands are raised.

Now consider the fact that he just passed the team record for DEFENSIVE rebounds in a season by a Pacer with a MONTH of games left. Pace or not, that's nuts and it emphasizes my knock on him (OFF to DEF rebound ratior). He gets a lot of cheapies which hides the fact that he got punked by Boozer and Milsap on several tougher boards that the team really needed, and I mean defensive boards even.

I love his 3pt shooting, he's maybe this team's Reggie because that 3 is so reliable, but remembering him as the greatest Pacers rebounder is not something I'm about to do no matter what the numbers say.

Rush, my boy, got burned twice by some crafty Utah play. They turned him and drove him toward the lane. It looked like the right move by how they played it, but it was really just a setup to lead him into a steal by a guy coming from his blind spot. They got Quis the same way. That's why they lead the league.

At halftime as the Jazz walked to the tunnel Deron was YELLING at Milsap I believe about either him or someone else "not wanting the damn ball". He was mega PO'd at that play to end the half because someone didn't want it when he tried to feed them. It was wild how mad he was about it.

Pacers were more in this than they were last year when Utah came to town, so at least we got that.

Sports Logo

Wow.....7-9 from the 3pt line for Murphy.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Now consider the fact that he just passed the team record for DEFENSIVE rebounds in a season by a Pacer with a MONTH of games left. Pace or not, that's nuts and it emphasizes my knock on him (OFF to DEF rebound ratior). He gets a lot of cheapies which hides the fact that he got punked by Boozer and Milsap on several tougher boards that the team really needed, and I mean defensive boards even.
    I agree with most of yer post, but dude, there are no cheap rebounds. Rebounds are rebounds. You seem really fixated on the fact that he gets few offensive rebounds, but there's a MAJOR reason for that ---- he spends most of his time on offense out on the wings and at the top of the key. That's not a small reason! It's a biggun! He's not Jeff Foster, who cannot shoot reliably at all outside of 10 feet, so he hangs out under the rim. You're talking about a style of play, not a lack of rebounding. He's a major offensive weapon behind the 3-pt line and he simply is not in position to get all those offensives... now you may look at that as a negative, but only if you're casting Murph in the role of the typical PF who doesn't shoot any 3s and has the luxury of hanging out in the paint and boxing out for rebounds... Murph just isn't that type of PF. He's a great rebounder on the defensive end where he actually focuses on rebounding, and when on offense, he's out there behind the arc, sinking daggers. It's a give-and-take thing. How are you gonna get a lot of offensives if you're not even in the paint? But you also don't wanna waste a 3-point shooter like that. It's 3's over offensive rebounds in this case, and I tend to think it's probly a smart way to go. If OBi told Murph to scrap the 3, focus on the paint and box out for offensive rebounds, he'd probly get a ton of them... but do you wanna lose those 3's? He's the best 3-point percentage shooter on the team... .436! That's a great percentage. You gotta have Troy out there stretching the opposing defense out...

I do think he's a very good rebounder, certainly under-rated. I seriously doubt he's out there averaging over 10+ rebounds/game by collecting nothing but worthless rebounds. Comparing Murph to players like Dale Davis just doesn't work. DD couldn't shoot a 15-footer, let a lone a 3-pointer... so ya, his offensive contributions outside the paint were mainly just setting screens for teammates, and then he returned "home" to collect the rebound --- much like Foster. I think you're hung up on Murph's offensive reboundes and ultimately comparing apples and oranges. Is Murph as good as DD was? Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to tell, different time, different team, different style. But you don't get single season records with a month remaining by not being pretty damn good at it.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-11-2009 at 12:02 AM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I agree with most of yer post, but dude, there are no cheap rebounds. Rebounds are rebounds. You seem really fixated on the fact that he gets few offensive rebounds, but you're failing to realize that on offense he spends most of his time out on the wings and at the top of the key
    I'll just go back to this fact, he got clearly beaten heads up for a couple of defensive boards (not offensive so no "he's on the arc") late in this game. MILSAP is a head to head better rebounder. Both guys are right there, both go up, Milsap gives the Jazz another possession.

I'm sorry it bugs people, but for all the people that rip me on stats, going with the most basic, totally unqualified stats of Points, Assists, Rebounds is far worse. All 3 of those stats are the most flawed and prone to not telling you anywhere close to the entire picture.

Troy does get some tough boards and my main point remains that I just downgrade his rebounding total by 2-4 per game and make that his line. That's still pretty good.

But MANY people would push Troy aside in a heartbeat to have Dale Davis circa 1998 on the team in his place, and Dale wasn't exactly a 3pt threat and obviously doesn't come close to having the defensive rebounding record Troy just got.

I mean you're saying "hey, Dale wasn't on the arc", but what's that got to do with DEFENSIVE boards. Do you honestly recall Dale defending the defensive glass worse than Troy??? Come on, Dale made the All-Star team strictly as a rebounding/defensive ace. And yet Dale's defensive rebound total for a season is going to pale in comparison to Troy's. So by the numbers Troy is 15-20% better at rebounding than Dale.

That tells me something is off.

It's the final 20 seconds and Jordan puts up the shot and miss, Rodman's in there. Do you want A) Troy or B) Dale under there with him to get the Pacers a possession and deny the Bulls a 2nd chance. That's my question for people that saw Dale in his prime.

If Dale was the man and couldn't get as many boards as Troy on the defensive end only, how is that possible? Maybe not pushing Tony out of the way enough, or Rik or McKey? Maybe not having the assigned role of collecting all uncontested boards no matter what?

But MANY people would push Troy aside in a heartbeat to have Dale Davis circa 1998 on the team in his place,
    I'm not sure Jim O'Brien is one of them though. I think this coach would prefer Troy's 3's over Dale Davis' interior D and rebounding.

Of course there's no way to prove that but I'm one of those people that think Murphy is custom made for Jim O'Brien's Pacer system. The faults most ascribe to Murphy are (at least in part) simply what he's being asked to do.

I now return you guys to your debate.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll just go back to this fact, he got clearly beaten heads up for a couple of defensive boards (not offensive so no "he's on the arc") late in this game. MILSAP is a head to head better rebounder. Both guys are right there, both go up, Milsap gives the Jazz another possession.

I'm sorry it bugs people, but for all the people that rip me on stats, going with the most basic, totally unqualified stats of Points, Assists, Rebounds is far worse. All 3 of those stats are the most flawed and prone to not telling you anywhere close to the entire picture.

Troy does get some tough boards and my main point remains that I just downgrade his rebounding total by 2-4 per game and make that his line. That's still pretty good.

But MANY people would push Troy aside in a heartbeat to have Dale Davis circa 1998 on the team in his place, and Dale wasn't exactly a 3pt threat and obviously doesn't come close to having the defensive rebounding record Troy just got.

I mean you're saying "hey, Dale wasn't on the arc", but what's that got to do with DEFENSIVE boards. Do you honestly recall Dale defending the defensive glass worse than Troy??? Come on, Dale made the All-Star team strictly as a rebounding/defensive ace. And yet Dale's defensive rebound total for a season is going to pale in comparison to Troy's. So by the numbers Troy is 15-20% better at rebounding than Dale.

It's the final 20 seconds and Jordan puts up the shot and miss, Rodman's in there. Do you want A) Troy or B) Dale under there with him to get the Pacers a possession and deny the Bulls a 2nd chance. That's my question for people that saw Dale in his prime.
    I got news for ya, Seth: Dale Davis didn't collect every offensive or defensive rebound when he was on the court, he won more than he lost, but you still gotta lose a few. I watched practically every game the dude played in from the time he was drafted 'til he left for Portland, so it's not like I don't recognize what Dale was.

So Murph got beat a few times. He also won quite a few battles. A few lost rebounds you noticed is not the entire sample. Milsap and Boozer ARE good rebounders. Getting beat by them once doesn't mean they'll beat you every time. They just beat you THAT time. Murphy, btw, led all players in rebounding in this game, but who cares, right? They were all cheapies.

I also never said that I think Murphy is a better rebounder than Dale. I'm trying to get you to realize the point about OFFENSIVE rebounds that you like to talk about so much. You constantly point to it as a weakness of Murph's. And ya, statistically, it is a weakness. But I'm trying to make you realize there's a reason there's such a huge discrepancy in offensive vs defensive rebounds. You deflected my argument to the defensive side of the ball. My entire post is about offensive rebounding.

I never, ever related his DEFENSIVE rebounds to him being behind the arc.

If Dale was the man and couldn't get as many boards as Troy on the defensive end only, how is that possible? Maybe not pushing Tony out of the way enough, or Rik or McKey? Maybe not having the assigned role of collecting all uncontested boards no matter what?
    And now you're just being silly.

Here's a thought, if the numbers aren't adding up for Dale as much as you wanna remember him --- Maybe Murph is actually pretty good?
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-11-2009 at 12:28 AM.

I think it's clear Nap doesn't think Murphy can't rebound straight up and Murphy pulling 2 off. boards a game isn't excusable playing from the high-post and the perimeter.

You have me looking very closely at Murphy lately. I allowed myself to suspend my disbelief and critique Murphy's rebounding strengths and weaknesses.

What I see, is exactly what you have professed. Murphy only has about a 20-24" vertical and short arms. Which hurts him a little when blocking out from the post. He gets beat consistently about 2 to 4 times per game resulting in a putbacks. He really doesn't ever get the hard fought rebounds. I think Dale was better at rebounding in that certain aspect. Another thing that factors into his overall rebounding numbers is the number of shots opponents attempt on us. I'd pro rate his total to about 10.5 to 11.0 if the Pacers played that same old tempo they did when Dale was playing.

Murphy does have better rebounding instincts than Dale Davis(most NBA forwards for that matter). Murphy is on top of where the ball will play off the rim 95% of the time, and that's why he get so many defensive boards. He has Rodman-like instincts(without the athletics). I spent some time recently watching some Pacers classics and I can honestly say Troy leaps to the ball very effectively, something Dale was very poor at. He mostly held his position(some of that is coaching style). Murphy sucks at blocking out because he plays the ball instead of a space(a reason he tends to steal rebounds and gets beat for putbacks).

Also, Murphy has a hunger for the ball, and great timing on his jump. Despite his lack of vertical, Troy gets up quick Timing, instincts, quick ups, hunger, and then sorry blockout skills, but he deserves what he earns. I think we can forgive him for shooting 43% from outside. Even if it results in lopsided rebound ratios. Dude is unique to say the least, but I can't help but like what I have been observing lately.
    Last edited by Noodle; 03-11-2009 at 01:29 AM.

This thread has turned into a Murphy rebounding issue which has been beat to death, again and again and again. Murphy isn't my definition of a POWER FORWARD, but he fits JO'B's system to a T. Dale Davis would never had been an Allstar in O'Brien's system. Who do you think would be getting the majority of PT at PF in O'Brien's system if both Murphy or Davis was on this current team? It wouldn't be DD. They are totally different types of PF's who only have the position of PF in common, and not how they play the postion or rebound in the position.

The real issue is the Pacers got beat. Plain and Simple. I never expected this game to be one in the win column, but I did expect to see the Pacers give up 100 plus points to the Jazz. SOS. Non-existant "D" much of the game, turnovers galore, Jazz shooting more FTA than Pacers, and Pacers having 8 less FGA than the Jazz due to the turnovers and Jazz "D".

With the Pacers having 12 more turnovers it gave the Jazz 12 more oportunities to score that the Pacers. This contributed to the 8 less FGA the Pacers had than the Jazz. Couple that with the 11 more FTA opportunities the Jazz had and that results in a LOSS.

I started to say prior to this game at beginning of this thread which ugly stripped tie JO'B would be wearing. At least, he could wear one that doesn't have what looks like your opponents team colors in it. Those ties must be 1 to 2 decades old.

These Pacer play at a faster tempo, creating many more missed shots over the course of a season than Dale saw. Troy's rebounding benefits from that difference.

EDIT: No. I'm wrong. Game tempo doesn't explain it. Troy gets defensive rebounds at a better rate than Dale ever did.

This season so far Troy gets 20.3% of all the opponents' missed field goal attempts. Dale never did any better than 15.2% of all the opponents' misses (473 defensive rebounds out of 3113 opponents' missed field goal attempts in the 99-00 season). His average from 92-00 was 12.5% of all opponents' misses.

ref: www.basketball-reference.com and www.pacers.com
    Last edited by Putnam; 03-11-2009 at 07:43 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

[quote=Naptown_Seth]

I don't understand why you mentioned points. If the Pacers got more of them at the end of the game they win, no matter how they got them.

I truly think you are one of the most knowledgeable posters on Pacers Digest, and you're one of my favorites.

However, when you talk about Troy and rebounding I downgrade your post 10%. That's still pretty good.

Come on, Dale made the All-Star team strictly as a rebounding/defensive ace. And yet Dale's defensive rebound total for a season is going to pale in comparison to Troy's. So by the numbers Troy is 15-20% better at rebounding than Dale.

Telling you that something is off is fine. However, there's a lot of us that disagree with your conclusions. I think it should tell you that Dale and Troy are different type players. As you said, Dale was a strictly a rebounding/defensive ace. Well, Troy is strictly a defensive rebounder/3pt. ace.

And think about this. Dale played under the basket at both ends of the floor. Troy has a higher rebound average than any Pacer ever has, playing mostly just one end of the floor.

Don't you think Troy's mostly playing one end of the floor, more than cancels out your downgrading his totals by 2 to 4 rebounds per game? I do!

Like someone said, What would Troy's number's be if he played under the basket at both ends?

If Dale was the man and couldn't get as many boards as Troy on the defensive end only, how is that possible?

Instead of blaming it on Troy stealing rebounds. Have you ever considered Dale had better rebounding teammates.

I think a lot of people on here like a Dale Davis type PF, and it's just unacceptable that someone they consider inferior to Dale is getting more rebounds. So, instead of accepting that Troy is a different type PF, they downgrade Troy's accomplishments.

Troy is Dirk Nowitzki light, and I really like him!
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-11-2009 at 08:20 AM.

Last night at the game I really concentrated on watching Murphy and his rebounding. (I too have often said he is not as good of a rebounder as his numbers indicate) What I saw is a guy who has excellent hands, great timing, and someone who goes after every defensive rebound. Is he as a good a rebounder as Dale Davis - No, but Dale didn't go after every rebound - that is why he never averaged that many rebounds per game. But I will say that when Dale really wanted a rebound - and when the team really needed one, he came up with it. Troy doesn't quite have the ability to do that.

So if you ask me who I want to rebound at the 10 minute mark of the second quarter - I want Troy - but if you ask me who I want rebounding with 30 seconds left in a tie game - I want Dale for sure.

Foster is a different type of rebounder and I won't bring him into the discussion at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Last night at the game I really concentrated on watching Murphy and his rebounding. (I too have often said he is not as good of a rebounder as his numbers indicate) What I saw is a guy who has excellent hands, great timing, and someone who goes after every defensive rebound. Is he as a good a rebounder as Dale Davis - No, but Dale didn't go after every rebound - that is why he never averaged that many rebounds per game. But I will say that when Dale really wanted a rebound - and when the team really needed one, he came up with it. Troy doesn't quite have the ability to do that.

So if you ask me who I want to rebound at the 10 minute mark of the second quarter - I want Troy - but if you ask me who I want rebounding with 30 seconds left in a tie game - I want Dale for sure.

Foster is a different type of rebounder and I won't bring him into the discussion at this point
    I think most of us consider Dale the superior rebounder, at least for tough rebounds. It's just the constant disparaging of Troy's accomplishments that get to us.

What I would really like manning the big spots is the trio of Dale, Troy, and Rik. Right now we have Troy, and a somewhat budding Rik clone in Hibbert. What we need is a young Dale Davis.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One thing I noticed is that we had Troy at the top of the key in the second half. When the Jazz closed out it create open space for Jack. Why was Troy venturing lower in the lane? Why didn't we do screen and rolls with Jack and Murphy (or with Rasho causing the Jazz to rotate leaving more shooters open)? It seems that we are bent on dribble kicks that the creativity is stagnant when the opposing team makes an adjustment.

Rush, my boy, got burned twice by some crafty Utah play. They turned him and drove him toward the lane. It looked like the right move by how they played it, but it was really just a setup to lead him into a steal by a guy coming from his blind spot. They got Quis the same way. That's why they lead the league.
    Utah is really good at bumping slashers without quite drawing a foul. Jerry is adept at teaching players to not *quite* cross the line and get the whistle. The trailer bumps a bit, then another guy comes HARD on the double, swiping at the ball. There's nothing impromptu about it, they've got the timing down cold.

My son was ranting about them pushing Roy in the back to mess up a shot. I almost admired it because they did it low, when the ref's eyes were up, and they didn't go overboard.

A lot of people have them as a dark horse, and there's a lot to like, but this stuff doesn't work as well in the postseason when the other team gets a long look at your techniques. During the season, it wreaks havoc like most of the first half.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm disappointed we lost, because we could have made up some serious ground in the playoff race. But I didn't expect us to win this one anyway, so I'm not TOO disappointed.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't see the effort tonight. They appeared really flat to me. They just didn't play with any energy.

Troy shot well in the first half. Really well. But he killed us defensively and completely disappeared in the second. But that's to be expected.

Roy and Rush made plenty of mistakes. But they did plenty of good things too.

Quisy had his worst game in awhile.

Rasho was useless.

If you start 2 PGs they better not combine for 11 TOs.

I still think Diener should play a lot more but he wasn't great tonight either.

I know I've asked this question a few times, but is there any logical reason to play Maceo Baston over Josh McRoberts?

Utah played pretty poorly most of the game I thought. Deron Williams has the best hands of any player I've seen all year. It's a shame we only get to see him live once a year.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

BTW... that's not a knock on Murphy. I think we tend to overuse him in the 1st half and milk him for everything we can, plus the other team learns to adjust to his 3 point prowess and negates some of his offensive effectiveness.

If it wasn't for Murphy I'm not sure the Pacers would've still be in the game with 8 mins to go in the 1st place.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    So. Maybe the solution is to bench him until he second half, when games are actually won.
    I've been saying this for the longest time....I really think that this is the norm for Murphy ( much less anyone that heavily relies on a jumpshot ) given the way the sheer amount of energy that the team has to expend throughout the entire game. I honestly think that if we played Murphy the same amount of minutes ( or even less ) but have him play the majority of his minutes in the 2nd half, I think that we would see an improvement in his play.

With the amount of running back and forth on both ends of the court, this can only wear down a players legs. For a relatively un-athletic Frontcourt Player that has an offensive game that is heavily reliant on his jumpshot and his ability to simply get enough lift off of his feet.....playing Murphy too many minutes and wearing him down just doesn't make that much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Even though we lost tonight i had a blast at the game tonight. Murph lit it up in the first half. Its a shame we couldn't hit baskets in the 3rd and 4th. The fans came alive when murph was on fire from the 3 point line.
    I would really like to see his scoring and shooting percentage stats comparing his 1st Half performance compared to his 2nd Half performance. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a huge difference in the # of points scored and the # of shots missed between the 2 halves. Heck, if there was a way to even compare his Defensive performance against the Players that he defends in the 1st half compared to the 2nd half.....I wouldn't be surprised to see if his overall effectiveness is different.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-11-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.