Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Annual Magic Number Thread (2009)

Default The Annual Magic Number Thread (2009)

Well, I figure we're close enough. Let's get this rolling.

I'm assuming the #7 spot is out of our reach, and that the teams below us (NY, Toronto, Washington) are not threats to catch us. So I'm only tracking Milwaukee, Chicago, New Jersey, Charlotte, and Indiana. Also, I won't start tracking tiebreakers until the last 5 Pacers games. That means we'll need to win outright in order to get the magic number. And we're off!

======

Milwaukee: 30-36 (16 games remaining)
    Chicago: 29-36 (17 games remaining)
    New Jersey: 28-35 (19 games remaining)
    Charlotte: 28-35 (19 games remaining)
    Indiana: 28-37 (17 games remaining)

Magic numbers are calculated by assuming that the rest of the teams win the remainder of their games. Then, every Pacers win or loss reduces the magic number by 1. On nights where the Pacers win AND the other team loses, the magic number drops by at least 2. It's possible for such a win to decrease the magic number by 3, if it gives the Pacers the edge in head-to-head, which is the first tiebreaker. But like I said, I won't be calculating that until the last 5 games. So here are our possible finishes:

Milwaukee: 46 wins
    Chicago: 46 wins
    New Jersey: 47 wins
    Charlotte: 47 wins

It's ironic that the top two teams (Milwaukee and Chicago) will actually be easier to catch than NJ and Charlotte, due to those teams having more games remaining. Pacers would need 48 wins to ensure success, which means 20 wins out of our next 17. No sweat!

So here's the final, as of March 10th. I'll update this nightly for the rest of the season.

Charlotte - 20
    New Jersey - 20
    Chicago - 19
    Milwaukee - 19
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Annual Magic Number Thread (2009)

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I've been looking at all this on nba.com but not actually getting it figured out. This really helps.

I'm very hopeful, however I feel like it's a really long shot for us to make the 8th seed.

I guess after looking at the numbers it doesn't look as bad as it seams.

I will be watching the Bucks, Bulls, Cats, Nets, and Knicks. I also think that the Sixers could fall dramatically.

'freak...out!

It's still pretty hard. Charlotte has 19 games left. We need to have them lose 10 of those, and we'd have to win 10, to make it past them.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I loved this thread last season. Good work, Anthem!

After the March 10 games:

Indy lost, Milwaukee lost, Charlotte lost, Chicago and New Jersey didn't play.

New Jersey - 20
    Charlotte - 19
    Chicago - 19
    Milwaukee - 18

Enjoy your time at PD!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

You preface the whole thing and I still get this...
    So I'm only tracking Milwaukee, Chicago, New Jersey, Charlotte, and Indiana.
    "Only" he says.

Man's that's a lot of teams to be battling with only 16 games left. Ugh.

Instead of making my annual "darksider" version of this process, the "eliminated from the bottom" variation that is meant to discourage tank hopes but always gets ripped by insane/misguided sunshiners who think it's my way of saying the team stinks, I'm going to just piggy-back in here.

Teams the Pacers can't "catch" in terms of most losses and the magic numbers for those teams to "eliminate" the Pacers from those higher draft spots. I have ties factored out by setting the magic number to ensure 1 more loss by the other team.

Believe it or not the Pacers are not yet mathematically safe from coming last in the NBA.

Going from top draft slot down, a Pacers win or a loss by these teams reduces their "magic" number on the Pacers and makes tankers cry.

Kings 5
    Clips 6
    Wiz 6
    OKC 9
    Griz 9

Minny 10
    GS 13
    Toronto 14
    Bucks 18
    NY 18
    B'cats 19

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Instead of making my annual "darksider" version of this process, the "eliminated from the bottom" variation that is meant to discourage tank hopes but always gets ripped by insane/misguided sunshiners who think it's my way of saying the team stinks, I'm going to just piggy-back in here.

Teams the Pacers can't "catch" in terms of most losses and the magic numbers for those teams to "eliminate" the Pacers from those higher draft spots. I have ties factored out by setting the magic number to ensure 1 more loss by the other team.

Believe it or not the Pacers are not yet mathematically safe from coming last in the NBA.

Going from top draft slot down, a Pacers win or a loss by these teams reduces their "magic" number on the Pacers and makes tankers cry.

Kings 5
    Clips 6
    Wiz 6
    OKC 9
    Griz 9

Minny 10
    GS 13
    Toronto 14
    Bucks 18
    NY 18
    B'cats 19
    What makes me cry is missing out on both the playoffs and a good draft pick. But, hey, if we do it enough years in a row, surely our luck will change! Right? Right? Hello?

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Well, I figure we're close enough. Let's get this rolling.

I'm assuming the #7 spot is out of our reach, and that the teams below us (NY, Toronto, Washington) are not threats to catch us. So I'm only tracking Milwaukee, Chicago, New Jersey, Charlotte, and Indiana. Also, I won't start tracking tiebreakers until the last 5 Pacers games. That means we'll need to win outright in order to get the magic number. And we're off!

======

Milwaukee: 30-36 (16 games remaining)
    Chicago: 29-36 (17 games remaining)
    New Jersey: 28-35 (19 games remaining)
    Charlotte: 28-35 (19 games remaining)
    Indiana: 28-37 (17 games remaining)

Magic numbers are calculated by assuming that the rest of the teams win the remainder of their games. Then, every Pacers win or loss reduces the magic number by 1. On nights where the Pacers win AND the other team loses, the magic number drops by at least 2. It's possible for such a win to decrease the magic number by 3, if it gives the Pacers the edge in head-to-head, which is the first tiebreaker. But like I said, I won't be calculating that until the last 5 games. So here are our possible finishes:

Milwaukee: 46 wins
    Chicago: 46 wins
    New Jersey: 47 wins
    Charlotte: 47 wins

It's ironic that the top two teams (Milwaukee and Chicago) will actually be easier to catch than NJ and Charlotte, due to those teams having more games remaining. Pacers would need 48 wins to ensure success, which means 20 wins out of our next 17. No sweat!

So here's the final, as of March 10th. I'll update this nightly for the rest of the season.

Charlotte - 20
    New Jersey - 20
    Chicago - 19
    Milwaukee - 19
    Need to add the Knicks after tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    What makes me cry is missing out on both the playoffs and a good draft pick. But, hey, if we do it enough years in a row, surely our luck will change! Right? Right? Hello?
    Man are you going to regret things if Rush works out as expected.

And can I get a complaint about not getting a higher pick the year Danny was drafted? So to you it's year (Rush) after year (gave up Acie Law, I call that a win personally) after year (Williams)...but not after year, because that's Granger then. So 3 years is enough years in a row to make fun of, let's keep it mum on that 4th year.

Right now my pick for this year is Terrence Williams, L'ville. A tall SG/PG (I think true NBA PG) who rebounds 8 a night with many double digit rebounds, a slew of 7-8 assist games the last month and a new found outside shot after Pitino reworked his motion completely.

He's slotted in the mid to late 20's, long past the Pacers pick. Other than FT shooting he's a brilliant prospect who plays a very smart and physical game, and we could still get him even if the team does make the playoffs. And this in a crap draft year no less.

As I've said in previous "we must tank" debates, missing out on a #6 pick also ensures that we aren't the team that picked Sene or Darko way too high. It cuts both ways.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-11-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Chicago lost, NJ is playing Golden State (I'll finalize tomorrow), Charlotte, Milwaukee, and Indiana didn't play.

New Jersey - 19
    Charlotte - 19
    Chicago - 18
    Milwaukee - 18
    NY - 18
    Last edited by Anthem; 03-12-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Need to add the Knicks after tonight.
    They're currently 27-37, so they have 18 games left. If they win out they can finish with 45 wins, so we'd need 46 wins to pass them. We're currently 28-38, so our NY magic number is 18. I'll track that from now on.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Jersey lost, so now we are only two games behind both Jersey and Chicago in the all important lost column.

We could make up some serious ground tonight if we can beat the Hawks.

Chicago plays Philly, Charlotte plays Houston, New York plays Minnesota, Milwaukee plays Nawlins, and Jersey plays Portland. In all of those (except maybe NY-Minny) I'd expect a loss for the team we're fighting with.

At the same time, though, the Hawks have had our number recently. Let's hope Danny comes out hot.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Rough night. Everybody else lost, but so did we. Would have been nice to make up some ground.

New Jersey - 18
    NY - 18
    Charlotte - 18
    Chicago - 17
    Milwaukee - 17

Enjoy your time at PD!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rough night. Everybody else lost, but so did we. Would have been nice to make up some ground.

New Jersey - 18
    NY - 18
    Charlotte - 18
    Chicago - 17
    Milwaukee - 17
    Torture.

Would have been nice not to screw this up.

But I guess if you lose to the Wizards you probably shouldn't even be in playoff consideration.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

DRAFT SLOT MAGIC NUMBERS (to eliminate Pacers from that spot, barring lottery win)

Kings 4
    Wiz 4
    Clips 6
    Griz 7
    OKC 8

Minny 9
    Toronto 12
    GS 13
    Bucks 17

NY 18
    B'cats 18
    Bulls 18
    NJ 18

Starting to come closer to a 7th slot. I hate to say it but top 10 feels more definite every day. So much for the late season rally. You just can't lose games like the ATL loss. Good or not, those are the teams you have to beat unless you want to climb my list.

On the sunshiner side, look at all those teams Shade gets to root for now.

New Jersey - 18
    NY - 18
    Charlotte - 18
    Chicago - 17
    Milwaukee - 17
    Er, I think at least one team won.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Er, I think at least one team won.
    Nobody that mattered.

Don't worry, I didn't change your magic number.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Minny up 15 at the half over Charlotte, 66-51.
    Chicago up even more on the Hornets, 40-24 (2nd Quarter).

Minny won, which is great, but Chicago also won, which is less so.

New Jersey - 18
    NY - 18
    Charlotte - 17
    Chicago - 17
    Milwaukee - 17

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Thought we'd make a move when Granger was due "any day now" with the Portland game... been 3 games and we really could have made a jump when you look at how other teams have performed in the same span.

We are not winning enough games. The other teams are doing their part (NJ and NY lost, nobody else played), but we can't catch up without some wins. There's still time, but it's close. 16 games remaining, and every single team has a magic number of 17.

New Jersey - 17
    NY - 17
    Charlotte - 17
    Chicago - 17
    Milwaukee - 17

Enjoy your time at PD!

Those last 2 losses not only hurt the bottom line, they don't really inspire confidence in this whole process. Am I way off thinking this sqaud is sputtering to the end worse than last year?

You can't just pin it on Granger's injury because initially they reacted well to it. And while Dun has been out, Troy has been twice as effective as he was last year so there is some tradeoff there. Plus this squad has had healthy PG play all season.

Shouldn't this be going better now?

Man, this isn't going well unless you are a tanker. Pacers aren't exactly getting eliminated by any of these bad teams very quickly.

DRAFT SLOT MAGIC NUMBERS (to eliminate Pacers from that spot, barring lottery win)

Kings 3
    Wiz 4
    Clips 5
    Griz 7
    OKC 7

Minny 9
    Toronto 12
    GS 12
    Bucks 17

NY 17
    B'cats 17
    NJ 17
    Bulls 18

The Pacers aren't going to "catch" Minny or the other bottom 6 teams, the magic numbers for those teams to pass Indy is insanely high. However Toronto and GS are flirting with passing Indy and shoving them down to that #7 or #8 draft spot.

Pacers mathematically eliminated by 6 teams already. Denver, Utah, Portland and New Orleans should finish them off this week. So a top 20 pick is about to become official.