Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 62 of 62

Thread: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

  1. #51

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's less a Jeff problem than having to always match JO up with someone better suited to guarding athletes than bangers. That's why Blount would be such a good pickup. Who starts would be kind of irrelevant but it would help your matchups a lot.
    That's basically my point as well. As a combo, JO and either Jeff or Al is just too light.

    Now that I've said that... after being offline all weekend... we didn't trade Al yet, did we?

    Maybe
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  2. #52
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    Peck, Jeff can and DOES hit most of his layups/close shots now. That's an old criticism of Jeff that's a year too old now. He improved big time at hitting most of his gimme's this past year.

  3. #53
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,708

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    Here is what it is going to take for Jeff to become able to hit the 10-15 ft wide open jumper during games.

    I don't care if he shoots 10,000 jumpers each and every day this summer, unless or until he is encourages and forced to shoot during real games, practice won't mean a thing.

    it has to start in training camp, the coaching staff much force Jeff to shoot when open, every time. Then it must cary over to the preseason games. Then and most importantly it has to carry over to the regular season.

    I don't care if Jeff has a few games early in the season where he goes 1 for 8 and the Pacers lose a game or two because of it. If he keeps shooting it will pay off in the long run, he'll get some confidence and he'll get used to taking the shots and then used to making a good %.

    Look at Freddie this past season, in November, December and January his outside shooting was poor, but he kept shooting ad it really paid off late in the season and during the playoffs.

    If jeff has all the confidence in the world on October 1st, if he had shot 10,000 jupers per day all summer, that won't mean a thing if he is not forced to shoot.

    If jeff can become a decent shooter from 12 - 15 ft it will open up his driving to the basket game.


    Edit: I am a huge believer in in quick athletic big guys, it helps a defnese so, so much.

    Jay to your point about the pacers not being strong enough at the 4 and 5 positions. That is another reason why Ron is so important he helps offset that a little.

    Keep in mind though Jeff is an extremely physical player, and he has gotten quick good at it


    [edit=24=1088439442][/edit]

  4. #54
    debohstheman
    Guest

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    im with you UB 100%

  5. #55
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    I agree UB that that's how Jeff will learn to hit them. However I don't expect it to happen, Rick never encouraged Ben to do anything offensively in Det.

    Maybe that will change here, though. Other things he didn't do there have changed.

  6. #56
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edit: I am a huge believer in in quick athletic big guys, it helps a defnese so, so much.

    Jay to your point about the pacers not being strong enough at the 4 and 5 positions. That is another reason why Ron is so important he helps offset that a little.

    Keep in mind though Jeff is an extremely physical player, and he has gotten quick good at it

    Somewhere I was going to post that I'm no longer concerned about Jeff's ability to score 'garbage' points. I don't think the Pacers need to run any plays for him, as long as he scores a high % of the time in 'garbage' opportunities, then the opponents have to take him somewhat seriously. I'll include wide-open fourteen footers from the baseline as 'garbage points' because the defense is basically begging him to shoot those.

    Jeff is never going to be part of 'stretching the defense' and if that's what the Pacers need from the PF position, then they've got to find someone else. I'm not saying that it has to come from the PF position, we can all dream about a physical PF with a jumper like Buck Williams or Oakley but those guys are very rare in today's NBA.

    I'm intrigued with the idea of Harrison backing up both JO and Jeff next season. That might alleviate some of my concerns about our (lack of) size at 4 and 5. Last season, our two best backups (Al and Austin) were also undersized for that position. I know its a big 'if' but if he's ready to play 12-16 mpg then that's a huge pickup in the draft. If not, then what the heck, it *was* the 29th pick.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  7. #57

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Edit: I am a huge believer in in quick athletic big guys, it helps a defnese so, so much.

    I agree completely with this, but I would have to say that even better is a quick athletic big guy that can block shots. Having two shot blockers as opposed to one I feel gives a team defense a WHOLE new dynamic.

    This is the only thing I have against Jeff. Offensively, I think I think Jeff is adequate offensively for this team, but could be much better obviously. he shoots the close range shot very well, even adding the reverse layup to his repertoire, and he has always been capable of throwing it down. However, a center with shot blocking ability, post up moves and a mid range jumpshot would catapult this team into greatness in my opinion.

    I think Jeff is good enough to start and end games for a winning team, and if lucky, even a championship team. But this Pacer team has the ability to be GREAT next season. I really believe that. and with an outside shooter, a shotblocking center, and minus Al Harrington (I believe in the case of al it is addition by subtraction) this team could be GREAT.

  8. #58

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    Oh btw that is why I think Marcus Camby would be a GREAT addition to this team, but no one seems to want him and i know hes probably just going to resign with the nuggets.

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,644

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    One way to improve Jeff's offensive game is to team JO how to block out under the boards.

    That would definitely lead to more garbage points for Jeff.

  10. #60

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    Foster can hit threes too. I've seen him before games shooting them.

    edit: Maybe he's just too afraid to take the shots? Maybe he's just a good practice shooter, not a game shooter.
    [edit=53=1088446632]adding more[/edit]

  11. #61
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One way to improve Jeff's offensive game is to team JO how to block out under the boards.

    That would definitely lead to more garbage points for Jeff.
    True. That's JO's biggest remaining weakness, IMO. I'd also like him to pass out of a double-team a little quicker, but that's just nitpicking.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  12. #62
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,506

    Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foster's free thorw shooting.

    2004 playoffs - 80% 8 of 10
    2004 regular season - 67%
    2003 regular season - 54%



    Peck, I almost missed your post. let me first say I read your whole post and enjoyed the last part of your post.

    But I have to blow up a little.

    Your comment about Jeff barely getting off the bench in games 4, 5, and 6 are ineresting. Because brad barely got off the bench in games 5 and 6 a year earlier against the Celts.

    We have discussed this so many times, but I can maybe count 2 or 3 guys in the whole league that brad defends better than Jeff does. In the game at Sacramento Brad tried to guard J.O. but was doing such a horrible job for the Kings had to play their joruneymen backup center whose name I am drawing a blank on.

    Ask the King fans if they need a little athleticism in their front court

    Your going to have to remind me which game that was. Was it the game in Sacramento that Brad scored 18 points grabbed 15 rebounds & threw out 10 assist in leading Sacramento to victory. Or was it the game in Indiana that coming off of the bench he scored 12 points grabbed 13 rebounds threw out 5 assist & blocked 4 shots in leading Sacramento to victory.

    BTW, Mr. Rebound Jeff Foster, was out rebounded in both of those games by the player that is not a better rebounder. If memory serves me correct, 4 of Brad's rebounds on that second game came in the last 3 min. of the game to seal victory. Also the earth bound Miller outblocked the sky soaring Foster.

    I'm sorry, but I'll say it again, outside the fan base of the Indiana Pacers nobody will say that Jeff Foster is better at anything compared to Brad Miller.

    Even if I conceded that Jeff is a better defender
    (I don't btw) I would have to not only concede this I would have to say that Brad sucks as a defender to even make it equal, because Brad is so much better at everything else. But because Brad does not suck as a defender then the fact that he is better at everything else more than trumps any advantage you think Jeff might have as a defender.

    Oh, btw, those same games that you are talking about I would like to remind you of one thing. They started out both games with Jeff guarding Brad. He was destroyed in both games & O'Neal had to switch to him.

    I will never EVER concede that Jeff is a better player than Brad. I will never EVER concede that Jeff is a better fit for our team. For the one thing you list as an advantage (I do not agree with) I can list everything else that Brad does better.



    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •