Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

Default Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

Simple question that has not been asked - point blank in quite some time.

I realize Jeff will never be an allstar, I realize he will never make some of you forget the former center the Pacers had, but I like Jeff a lot as the starting center.

If someone were to tell me that for the next 5 - 6 years that Jeff will be the starting center alongside J.O, I would be happy.

Let me address a few arguments I foresee some of you making.

1) What about the Pistons series. Jeff was basically taken out of that series because he could not score. I consider that a special situation. Tinsley was getting physically worse by the game. The pacers were put in a tough position of having to change their game. The fact is the Pacers lost the series.

2) Pacers need a bigger stronger center. Pacers need a bigger styronger center to allow J.O to play power forwartd. I really disagree with both of these. Pacers need a very good one on-one defender so J.O can do what he does best and that is be the Pacers Ben Wallace on defense, block shots. Help out. If J.O has to defend players like Sheed, Odom, and other good offensive players he would not be able to help out on defense.

If Dampier replaces Foster, J.O will have to guard Odom, Sheed.

3) So many, myself includes made the point that Brad and J.O were a very good combo offesively, and yes they were, but Jeff and J.O are a much better combo defensively

I have several more reasons, but I have to go

Default Re: Are you satisfied with Jeff Foster starting and finishing

I would not want Dampier, if that's what you're really asking.

Mark Blount is a pretty good one-on-one defender. I would probably prefer Blount start and Jeff back up both power positions.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

I'm satisfied. I think Harrison might be a good alternative to Jeff against guys who are just overpowering Jeff, and could be a better help defender FOR JO with his shotblocking when needed as well.

Jeff/Harrison is enough, let's just get a SG so scoring from the 5 isn't even an issue.

Yes I am. I don't think we could find a scrappier, more intense rebounder and defender at the 5. Plus, he's a reliable enough scorer [at least in the paint] to make the D pay for lagging off him completely. If he improves his mid-range jumper just a touch, he'd be near perfect.

And I agree with Hicks, if Harrison develops quickly enough to be our top backup, he'd complement Jeff very nicely.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Sports Logo

I am happy with Jeff. I think the only thing we need is a 15 to 18 ppg sg.

Yes. Very much so. Personally, I think he fits better with this offense than Brad did. We can't have everyone on this team trying to score. He does a fantastic job playing his role. Could not be happier with him there.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I am happy with the Foster/Harrison combo next year, except for the fact that the burst of energy he would bring off the bench in games was significant, kind of like a Mark Madsen, but I think his game has improved too much for him to not start.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I've never seen Harrison play, so I don't know if I am satisfied with him as a backup to Foster.

But am I satisfied with Foster and Pollard as our centers for this coming season. Hell, no!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love Foster!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am happy with Jeff. I think the only thing we need is a 15 to 18 ppg sg.
    I agree. Add another major scoring option at the 2 and we won't need big scoring out of the 4 AND 5.

Jeff complements J.O. very well defensively. I'm very happy with him as our starting center.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think you guys need a center with a nice mid-range game, can score in the 15-18ppg range and can pass a little too.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I think you guys need a center with a nice mid-range game, can score in the 15-18ppg range and can pass a little too.
    I believe that our center needs to be CAPABLE of scoring 15-18 ppg, if left open or JO is double-teamed.

However, I'd like to have a center that doesn't have a personal need to score in that range, but is more than capable of stepping up when the opportunity presents itself.

Buck -

I agree that Jeff is a very mobile center on both ends of the floor. But, mobility or not, we had problems covering both Ben and Rasheed, and keeping both off the boards.

I think our interior defensive presence needs to be more physical. Perhaps in time Harrison can provide that. I do believe that either of Dampier or Foyle could provide that.

Jeff plays about 23-25 minutes a game. That's half a game. Plenty of opportunity for another center, whether a starter or bench player, to make a major contribution. I just want that player to be a big physical defender who is capable of hitting a 10 foot shot if left open.

As for Jeff, there is only one thing about Jeff that irks the hell out of me. He absolutely must improve to 70% from the line. Until he does, he has no business finishing games for us.

Based on needs, I would prioritize them as SG first, center second. So, if we do go after a center first, I hope we use the MLE to land one. And not trade Al. Doing so could put us in a position where where we are forced to trade a second upper tier player to get the SG we need.

So my thoughts are to get the SG we need first, then to step back and see what can be done to acquire the center.

Just like Ben Wallace!! :P

Mood

Sounds like Kstat's trying to bait us.

I don't think we need Brad Miller (there I'll get his name out) to succeed, just a productive SG.

You need offense from either the SG spot or center spot. I'll leave it at that.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Netweeny
    Just like Ben Wallace!! :P

I get his point to be "Just like Brad Miller." Trying to work up a BM controversy to get a jump on his "Most Hated" title defense.......

You typed "work up a BM", heh, heh.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Dream Big

Jeff's perfect for the team, he looked to be a little more aggressive on the offensive end during the second half of the season. He has a pretty wack jump shot for a white boy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles
    Jeff's perfect for the team, he looked to be a little more aggressive on the offensive end during the second half of the season......
    Jeff was much improved finishing around the basket last season. His jumper looks good, but it's generally not a good idea for him to shoot one.....

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

RA231

We got killed on the boards in the playoffs. JO would still have to play some center. Yes we had trouble scoring against the pistons, but who didnt? We got out rebounded by even Miami. Getting dampier means that Jo doesnt have to play center, and there wont be many rebounds that get by Dampier and JO. Dampier can block shots to, Foster cant. Our interior defense and rebounding improves greatly with the addition of Dampier. We could use our MLE to sign somebody like Q-rich or Jackson. Freddie could even start, he has improved greatly. We could trade Scott and Harrington for Dampier.

I'd add the one drawback with dampier instead of foster is perimeter defense. I remember we had a field day in the finals forcing shaq's slow *** out to the 3-point line with pick and rolls, and he was always too slow to recover defensively. I can certainly imagine Dampier having similiar problems.

RA231

I'd add the one drawback with dampier instead of foster is perimeter defense. I remember we had a field day in the finals forcing shaq's slow *** out to the 3-point line with pick and rolls, and he was always too slow to recover defensively. I can certainly imagine Dampier having similiar problems.
    Dampier isnt as slow as Shaq but he isnt as quick as Foster. I would still take Dampier over Foster anyday.

I'd say dampier and shaq would probably tie in a footrace. Good rebounder and post scorer, but not much in the way of lateral mobility.

I'm not sure that adding Damp really improves our rebounding that much. I mean, he was good last year, but Foster's been good for a long time.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

RA231

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I'm not sure that adding Damp really improves our rebounding that much. I mean, he was good last year, but Foster's been good for a long time.

He was 4th in rebounds per game and 1 in rebounds per 48 minutes, yeah I would say he is an okay rebounder, maybe average(sarcasim)

Jeff's one of the top 5 offensive rebounders in the NBA, IMO. Offensive rebounding requires speed and anticipation, which foster does very well. However defensive rebounding requires strength and technique, which foster isnt as strong at. Foster's a pretty average defensive rebounder.