Thread: Whats up with Jermaine?

Sports Logo

Default Whats up with Jermaine?

excuse the ignorance but I have been away.

Default Re: Whats up with Jermaine?

You need to be more specific.

I'm assuming you mean his injury?

If so, all that I've heard is he has a neck strain, apparently caused when he blocked a shot (my guess is he landed awkwardly; that's how I strained mine).

Last official word is he's listed as day-to-day, but Channel 13 this morning was fickle on saying if it was serious or not. At first it sounded kinda bad, but then they were more lighter about it later in the show.

So, I don't think they really know yet.

The good news is, it wasn't something that caused him to writhe on the floor in pain. He just held his neck with his hand and had a somewhat painful look on his face, and actually played a few more minutes in the game.

My guess is he's either back tomorrow, or at worst misses these next two. I didn't get the impression this was something to lose sleep over.

Sports Logo

Yep thats what I was talking about not his impending marriage or anything else. Glad to hear it does not sound to bad. I am glad we beat those Celts without him.

ESPN news showed a very funny shot of Bird and Ainge at the end of the game when Bird was clearly very happy and Ainge was very unhappy.

JO has historically been a drama queen when it comes to injuries so that makes it hard for me to take his 'apparent' serious injuries... ummm serious.

I'm not saying he isn't hurt but was it truly worthy of the drama of leaving the game and floor? Did he ever even return to the bench? I didn't get to actually pay attention to the game until after he was gone.

I realize one of these days one of these injuries could be serious and I'll be waiting for him to return to the lineup immediately because I won't believe it.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Yep thats what I was talking about not his impending marriage or anything else. Glad to hear it does not sound to bad. I am glad we beat those Celts without him.

ESPN news showed a very funny shot of Bird and Ainge at the end of the game when Bird was clearly very happy and Ainge was very unhappy.
    There were all kinds of shots of them during the game. Those guys shouldn't be allowed to chew gum if they can't chew it with their mouths closed........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Jermaine is day-to-day.

As for Larry and Danny, that was great! I loved that they were into the game and talking. I posted a long time ago that Danny is probably asking Larry for tips on being a GM and then when I saw them together, that was great.

At leat Larry and Danny clapped and talked during the game. When Larry sits with Donnie, Larry will clap and then Donnie feels obligated to clap also. Without Larry there, Donnie sits there like a bump on a log and doesn't do anything.

At leat Larry and Danny clapped and talked during the game. When Larry sits with Donnie, Larry will clap and then Donnie feels obligated to clap also. Without Larry there, Donnie sits there like a bump on a log and doesn't do anything.
    Not true...He goes for a smoke at every timeout :P ......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

JO has historically been a drama queen when it comes to injuries so that makes it hard for me to take his 'apparent' serious injuries... ummm serious.

I'm not saying he isn't hurt but was it truly worthy of the drama of leaving the game and floor? Did he ever even return to the bench? I didn't get to actually pay attention to the game until after he was gone.

I realize one of these days one of these injuries could be serious and I'll be waiting for him to return to the lineup immediately because I won't believe it.

-Bball
    Bball we have argued about this in seasons past, but each time anyone says something similar to what you are saying really pisses me off, it really does.

You have no idea how injured he might be now or in the past.

It really does **** me off to no end

-Bball
    Bball we have argued about this in seasons past, but each time anyone says something similar to what you are saying really pisses me off, it really does.

You have no idea how injured might be now or in the past.

I feel similarly to Unclebuck

-Bball

You have no idea how injured he might be now or in the past.

Get over it

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

-Bball

I don't

Seriously, he may be hurt now but in the past -I FEEL- he's over dramatized some things. I have a hard time taking his injuries to be as serious as they appear on first look because of that.

I think he gets extra worried when something happens. Maybe its because he's had a serious injury in the past... or maybe it is because he never has had a serious injury so he thinks everything is more serious than it is. Maybe he is just being extra cautious. I dunno....

I don't mean to say he is 'faking'... just that I am skeptical of the severity sometimes... I think there is more 'fear' than 'injury' at play. Hey, I could be wrong. It's not like you guys have any direct counter info on this. It is just a gut feeling based on watching some things... and it HAS (IMHO) lessened as he has matured as a player.

You guys are much too touchy on this issue tho. It is not like it matters unless he sits out a big game with a hangnail.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

There were all kinds of shots of them during the game. Those guys shouldn't be allowed to chew gum if they can't chew it with their mouths closed........
    At one point in the game, they were chewing in sync. Did anyone see that?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At one point in the game, they were chewing in sync. Did anyone see that?
    Yes, I pointed that out to my wife. The next time they were on TV, Al Albert picked up on it too. For once, we actually found one of Al's little statementst to be funny.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

-Bball

I don't

Seriously, he may be hurt now but in the past -I FEEL- he's over dramatized some things. I have a hard time taking his injuries to be as serious as they appear on first look because of that.

I'm going with bball on this one. When he gets carried off the court now, with facial expressions of severe pain, I assume he'll be back shortly after he gets re-taped or a little bit of treatment.

In a way, he's like the boy who cried "wolf." Maybe its a compliment that he can shake off the pain and get back into the game, but we've seen it often enough that I do catch myself saying, "Come on, shake it off."

OR it really IS a bad injury, and he's just tough enough to come back in the game instead of sitting it out.

-Bball

I don't

I think he gets extra worried when something happens. Maybe its because he's had a serious injury in the past... or maybe it is because he never has had a serious injury so he thinks everything is more serious than it is. Maybe he is just being extra cautious. I dunno....

I don't mean to say he is 'faking'... just that I am skeptical of the severity sometimes... I think there is more 'fear' than 'injury' at play. Hey, I could be wrong. It's not like you guys have any direct counter info on this. It is just a gut feeling based on watching some things... and it HAS (IMHO) lessened as he has matured as a player.

You guys are much too touchy on this issue tho. It is not like it matters unless he sits out a big game with a hangnail.

-Bball
    I'm not offended by your comments but -I FEEL- that your reasoning is pretty shaky at best.

J.O. is a fairly tough hombre, my friend. The guy plays 40+ minutes a game as a PF, getting constantly double-and-triple teamed, banged around and dealing with no-calls every night. Sorry but you don't average 10 rpg without getting a bit banged up.

Add to that the guy has played on U.S national teams the past two summers while most other players are kicking back on vaction taking it (comparatively) easy.

And how often does J.O. miss games? I mean seriously, I don't k now the stats off the top of my head but he missed what 4-5 games last year tops? And how many this year?

I guess I just thing you're flat wrong here. I mean jeez, you wanna talk about overstating an injury, or not being able to play hurt, we can talk about Shaq, we can talk about a lot of other players (Bender, anyone?).

But to ASSUME something about the pain a guy is (or isn't) going through just because of personal bias and your impression (I see no actual evidence to back up any of your claims) is kind of ignorant, IMHO. We have no idea how much or how little pain the guy's going throuh. It's not like he's got a friggin hangnail. He strained his NECK. OUCH! I couldn't imagine walking down my driveway with a strained neck, much less playing power forward/center in a pro basketball game.

And for all you or I know, it was the trainers/doctors who kept him from returning to the bench (maybe he had to lie down rather than sit up and put more pressure on it?).

So, whatever. I'm done.

J.O has played the past three summers on international teams.

Summer 2004 will make 4 straight.

Jay, when has J.O ever been carried off the court, the only time I recall anything like that was in Houston last season when it looked like he might have blown an ACL

Where is all the criticism about AL, he walked off the court
    , looking as though he would never be able to run again, and yet he came back.

I'm not offended by your comments but -I FEEL- that your reasoning is pretty shaky at best.

J.O. is a fairly tough hombre, my friend. The guy plays 40+ minutes a game as a PF, getting constantly double-and-triple teamed, banged around and dealing with no-calls every night. Sorry but you don't average 10 rpg without getting a bit banged up.

Add to that the guy has played on U.S national teams the past two summers while most other players are kicking back on vaction taking it (comparatively) easy.

And how often does J.O. miss games? I mean seriously, I don't k now the stats off the top of my head but he missed what 4-5 games last year tops? And how many this year?

I guess I just thing you're flat wrong here. I mean jeez, you wanna talk about overstating an injury, or not being able to play hurt, we can talk about Shaq, we can talk about a lot of other players (Bender, anyone?).

But to ASSUME something about the pain a guy is (or isn't) going through just because of personal bias and your impression (I see no actual evidence to back up any of your claims) is kind of ignorant, IMHO. We have no idea how much or how little pain the guy's going throuh. It's not like he's got a friggin hangnail. He strained his NECK. OUCH! I couldn't imagine walking down my driveway with a strained neck, much less playing power forward/center in a pro basketball game.

And for all you or I know, it was the trainers/doctors who kept him from returning to the bench (maybe he had to lie down rather than sit up and put more pressure on it?).

So, whatever. I'm done.
    Slow down... you guys are making too much of this. I said:
    "Seriously, he may be hurt now but in the past -I FEEL- he's over dramatized some things. I have a hard time taking his injuries to be as serious as they appear on first look because of that. "

That pretty much sums it up. I emphasized "-I FEEL-" to show I am speaking for myself and a gut feeling. I said "he may be hurt now". I'm allowing to the fact he may be hurt seriously enough to keep him from games (back and neck injuries are restricting). I then summed it up by saying "I have a hard time taking his injuries to be as serious as they appear on first look because of that (my feeling).

I'm not arguing with anyone who feels differently. I am not even declaring that JO isn't hurt. I AM saying when I see JO writhing in apparent pain and what looks like bad situation I now expect him to bounce back. I could be he's a tough individual playing thru pain... or realizes it isn't as bad as he first feared usually... I dunno... and it doesn't matter as long as he plays when he should.

Early on Reggie commented that JO needed to play thru some stuff (pain) so I'm not the only one who thinks JO has made more out of a few situations than what is there at times.

Also... most of this is based on past years and I do think JO has lessened the dramatics of late.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Jay, when has J.O ever been carried off the court, the only time I recall anything like that was in Houston last season when it looked like he might have blown an ACL
    It looked like JO might have blown an ACL because of the dramatics involved. He was hurt, but not nearly as severely as many feared based on the scene.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

It looked like JO might have blown an ACL because of the dramatics involved. He was hurt, but not nearly as severely as many feared based on the scene.

-Bball
    Umm, the way Brad landed into JO's knee was VERY similar to the way Jarron Collins tore his ACL. Very close. Both hit them in the side of the knee with their body weight, both causing the knee to bend sideways inwards.

You have no idea if it wasn't much.

Jay, when has J.O. ever been carried off the court, the only time I recall anything like that was in Houston last season when it looked like he might have blown an ACL.
    I recall - but I could be wrong - two different times he's sprained his ankle, been "carried off" (I should have probably said that he "did not leave the court under his own power"), been re-taped, and then he's back in the game. I'm not sure I can prove this because these were each before the knee injury in Houston.

I really thought his knee injury in the Houston game had to be in the "Bernard King" category the way he was flailing around.

Perception is everything. I think over time he has proven to be pretty tough, mentally and physically, and I chose my words above carefully to not imply that he doesn't play hurt. I just think has over-reacted (past tense) to some of the routine sprains and stuff.

Besides, good old Charles Ingalls thinks we need "to get a room", so I can't appear to agree with everything you say.

Bball, sorry, I wasn't trying to make a big thing out of it. But you made the comment, and I just really strongly disagree, that's all. No biggie.

Perception is everything. I think over time he has proven to be pretty tough, mentally and physically, and I chose my words above carefully to not imply that he doesn't play hurt. I just think has over-reacted (past tense) to some of the routine sprains and stuff.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden