Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers at Clippers Post-Game: Pacers sneak win at the end

Default Re: Pacers at Clippers Post-Game: Pacers sneak win at the end

Just got back from the game.

I thought Granger was going to play after watching him in the warmups. Jack put in a lot of extra time before the game shooting.

We pulled out a very ugly win. You can tell it's going to be ugly when our opponent hits 12 points before the clock hits 8:00.

The difference in this game, imo, was O'Brien putting Rush on Gordon, as count mentioned. The Clippers have a weird team that somehow provided a bunch of mismatches.

Anyways, Rush knocked EJ out of rhythm, so much so that he couldn't regain it when TJ switched back over late.

When Brandon plays, our defense is significantly better.

When Travis plays, our offense is significantly better.

When Rasho plays, our team is significantly worse.

I wish everyone in denial on the rebound stealing would've had my seat tonight. Foster and Murphy really got into it on the court after a rebound mishap. Troy threw his towel at the bench and it took a couple of players to cool him down.

Don't have much video, unless anyone wants to see Lauren Conrad walk by me after the game.

*edit* I noticed quite a few Pacers fans at the game; more than I can remember at past games. That's encouraging.
    Last edited by imawhat; 03-08-2009 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just got back from the game.

I thought Granger was going to play after watching him in the warmups. Jack put in a lot of extra time before the game shooting.

We pulled out a very ugly win. You can tell it's going to be ugly when our opponent hits 12 points before the clock hits 8:00.

The difference in this game, imo, was O'Brien putting Rush on Gordon, as count mentioned. The Clippers have a weird team that somehow provided a bunch of mismatches.

Anyways, Rush knocked EJ out of rhythm, so much so that he couldn't regain it when TJ switched back over late.

When Brandon plays, our defense is significantly better.

When Travis plays, our offense is significantly better.

When Rasho plays, our team is significantly worse.

I wish everyone in denial on the rebound stealing would've had my seat tonight. Foster and Murphy really got into it on the court after a rebound mishap. Troy threw his towel at the bench and it took a couple of players to cool him down.

Don't have much video, unless anyone wants to see Lauren Conrad walk by me after the game.

*edit* I noticed quite a few Pacers fans at the game; more than I can remember at past games. That's encouraging.
    Um...yes please. Is she as hot in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The reward for not using the rooks? A flub give-away game from the Clips for a freaking 1 point win, with them missing several key guys as well. I mean the Clips are like a rookie/soph game with Fred Jones as the vet.
    As others have said, Hibbert wasn't there.

I don't get this deal about "not playing the rooks" anyway. The Pacers obviously made a strong "let's play the rooks" commitment in early February. In the last 15 games, Rush has played less than 20 minutes twice. Hibbert has played less than 15 minutes 3 times.

Neither one have been consigned to garbage time, they're getting legit rotation roles.

They are getting plenty of run to figure out the NBA.
    Last edited by danman; 03-08-2009 at 08:41 AM.

As the guy most critical of Murph when he got here, I've got to say I don't understand the criticism of his lack of offensive rebounds.

He doesn't get them because he's not near the basket. He's at the perimeter, which draws his man away from the basket and means he's not at the rim to get the easy putback.

The crazy thing is this: imagine what kind of numbers he could be pulling down if they kept him in the lane on offense. It's insane.

Murph getting low OR numbers isn't some fluke of his. It's the gameplan.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    As the guy most critical of Murph when he got here, I've got to say I don't understand the criticism of his lack of offensive rebounds.

He doesn't get them because he's not near the basket. He's at the perimeter, which draws his man away from the basket and means he's not at the rim to get the easy putback.

The crazy thing is this: imagine what kind of numbers he could be pulling down if they kept him in the lane on offense. It's insane.

Dirk has about HALF as many offensive rebounds as Troy. I wonder why because he's a good rebounder. Gee . . . is it because he plays mostly around the perimeter on offense like Troy?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Dirk has about HALF as many offensive rebounds as Troy. I wonder why...
    Because Dirk doesn't steal rebounds from teammates?

I don't care. Steal all the rebounds you want, Troy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I have to completely agree. I was among those that wrote that Murphy did indeed steal a rebound from his own team here and there. However, that should not be construed to mean that therefore he is a crappy rebounder. Nor should it be used as a brick in the foundation of a "Murphy sucks" movement.

This concern about a rebound ratio makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    One thing I'm surprised nobody commented on: Rush played the entire fourth quarter, despite going oh-for-six. He opened the fourth guarding Gordon, and spent most of the quarter with that assignment. Eric Gordon scored one point in the fourth...after scoring 34 in the first three.

Also, while Jack made some huge plays at the offensive end, Brandon Rush's block of Al Thornton's dunk at the 2:05 mark was huge. It was that last, best shot the Clips got, and Rush did a great job of erasing it. For all the disappointments on the offensive end, I don't think the Pacers win that game without Brandon Rush.
    I was too tired to put 2 + 2 together last night, but in hindsight, you're right on.

The baffling part continues to be his offense. Anyone who saw him even a little bit in college knows this is highly unlikely to stay so horrible, but it's almost stunning how many times he's looked horrible on that side of the ball.

Says a lot about his defense that the coach will give him crunch time minutes in spite of those offensive woes.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Dirk has about HALF as many offensive rebounds as Troy. I wonder why because he's a good rebounder. Gee . . . is it because he plays mostly around the perimeter on offense like Troy?
    I think you guys are right....... on this one.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think 15 rebounds without one single offensive board might be a record as well. Seriously, I know the big fans love to brush that off but it's not normal, not even close. No other top rebounders are anywhere near as ridiculously lopsided in their OFF/DEF ratio.

But whatever, dude is an offensive machine so what do I care. What does tick me off is this - Clips start 2 rooks, one at center, and Roy doesn't even get in the game. For chrissake Jordan is way more raw than Roy, Roy could have taken it to him a little.

And Gordon, well all they do for him is run him out there for 40+ minutes. Meanwhile it feels like we have to beg just to see Rush for 20 a night, let alone Roy and McBob.

The reward for not using the rooks? A flub give-away game from the Clips for a freaking 1 point win, with them missing several key guys as well. I mean the Clips are like a rookie/soph game with Fred Jones as the vet.

I'm fine for a playoff push, but throwing everything you've got at the most broken-spirit team in the NBA for a 1 point win doesn't indicate a team making a move. I know they got the win, but for the life of me I'm not sure I see the direction the team is headed. Maybe if this was the 2nd night on a back to back but it wasn't.

Just one more night where a team proves they can easily run with the Pacers despite playing their own youth movement while ours spend most of the time on the bench.
    It's already been explained why Hibbert wasn't there, so I won't get into that. But I'm absolutely puzzled as to why you're downplaying this as a "freaking 1 point win." Come on, we were 8-26 on the road going into last night! ANY road win for this team is huge. I don't care if it's the Clippers or the Lakers, a road win for a team with 8 road wins is something to be proud of. Geez, we lose close games left and right to both good and bad teams so I think it's a pretty big deal for us to come up clutch and take a close one on the road (in a game we mostly trailed).

And the rookies have been getting plenty of time lately. In February, Rush dipped below 20 minutes only twice and Hibbert went below 15 only 4 times. I get the feeling every game that O'Brien would play Hibbert more minutes if he didn't pick up so many fouls. The rookies are coming along fine and there is no doubt in my mind that they will work hard this summer and will contribute even more next season.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-08-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    It's been YEARS since I've seen the Pacers win in person.

Think about that for a minute. Years.

And I was supposed to be out of town for this one - didn't even have tickets until yesterday.

Things are finally looking up.
    That sucks, but if it makes you feel any better I'm 4-4 on games in person this year

Of course, I see home games while you see road games and the Pacers W-L is much better at home.

I'm guessing you've seen us play the Lakers alot? I just checked the media guide and we've never beaten the Lakers at Staples (we're 0-13 including the finals). Our last win out there was in the 99 lockout season which was the Forum's last year. We've had some horrendous losses in LA (the Horry buzzer beater, the loss this year). So I guess your only chance to see us win is against the Clippers.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-08-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think 15 rebounds without one single offensive board might be a record as well. Seriously, I know the big fans love to brush that off but it's not normal, not even close. No other top rebounders are anywhere near as ridiculously lopsided in their OFF/DEF ratio.

But whatever, dude is an offensive machine so what do I care. What does tick me off is this - Clips start 2 rooks, one at center, and Roy doesn't even get in the game. For chrissake Jordan is way more raw than Roy, Roy could have taken it to him a little.

And Gordon, well all they do for him is run him out there for 40+ minutes. Meanwhile it feels like we have to beg just to see Rush for 20 a night, let alone Roy and McBob.

I'm fine for a playoff push, but throwing everything you've got at the most broken-spirit team in the NBA for a 1 point win doesn't indicate a team making a move. I know they got the win, but for the life of me I'm not sure I see the direction the team is headed. Maybe if this was the 2nd night on a back to back but it wasn't.

Just one more night where a team proves they can easily run with the Pacers despite playing their own youth movement while ours spend most of the time on the bench.
    This is uncharacteristic of you, Seth. I just want to make sure that you watched/listened the same game.

I think that this was a night where neither team was able to "run" with the other. The Clippers had this game most of the way.

It seems we habe a knack for bringing darkness to the sunshine that is known as a win. We won a game that looked like we were going to get slaughtered in. I am happy.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Everybody played well in the 4th... with urgency.

Thornton always gives the Pacers troubles.

As for Murph, maybe he doesn't get the offensive boards cause coach emphasizes getting back on defense and preventing the other team's breaks? We all know he needs a head start, if that's the case.

Jack was big in the fourth as well as Daniels and Murph. Interesting that Ford was on Gordon on the last play, but obviously the team collapsed and he should have passed it to the wide open Novak.

Good thing the Blazer refs weren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This is uncharacteristic of you, Seth. I just want to make sure that you watched/listened the same game.

I think that this was a night where neither team was able to "run" with the other. The Clippers had this game most of the way.

It seems we habe a knack for bringing darkness to the sunshine that is known as a win. We won a game that looked like we were going to get slaughtered in. I am happy.
    It certainly looks like a "box score" post, to me.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    It certainly looks like a "box score" post, to me.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Well... another 2-10 shooting night for Rush, and yet he had the best plus minus on the team by far? Apparently he also shut down Eric Gordon in the 4th.

In some of the Tbird threads a few months ago people were still calling for an elite wing defender... I think Brandon's got it covered folks. Just imagine what it will be like when his shot comes around.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I wonder if she was there to see McBob again? That's her hiding from the paparazzi in my avatar.

He is lopsided on his total. But we also have to remember he camps at the 3pt line. I am not sure about this game because I did not get to watch but a lot of times he does not get the offensive rebound because he runs in and volleyball swats it out to the PG.

Say what you want, but if they play like they did last night they'll finish the season 1-17. I understand the concern. It appeared we'd turned the corner the last 5-6 games only to regress to last night's play.

There's no reason the game should've been close, but the Clippers had several mismatches that we didn't figure out until the 4th quarter. I'm still scratching my head about that.

Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    I wonder if she was there to see McBob again? That's her hiding from the paparazzi in my avatar.
    Very well could've been. She was there with some guy from "My Guys".

Sports Logo

I missed it, but what happened with Baron?

Did he even play?

If there was a time when the Clips would need a clutch 3pt shot in the end of a game....Baron would have made such a shot.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I missed it, but what happened with Baron?

Did he even play?

If there was a time when the Clips would need a clutch 3pt shot in the end of a game....Baron would have made such a shot.
    Baron was out. The Clips had two mismatches going, no one could guard Gordon in the first half, and he was on. The other was that Foster can't handle Zach.

The stuff about BRush shutting Gordon down is true. He's quick and long enough to play up on him and still give him problems getting to the lane. The last 10 games make me think that BRush, at minimum, will stick in the league as a defensive specialist. Give the kid another year or so of experience and he's going to be locking some guys up.

BRush took good shots (that is, open ones) in the flow of the offense and utterly bricked most of them.

The Pacers played really poorly in the first half.
    Last edited by danman; 03-08-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't see the game, so I can't comment on what happened to it, but I will touch on a few generalities. First, to win on the road anytime is nice, especially on a west trip. To read that Rush is finding a spot on defense and isn't afraid to take the shot even though he has struggled there is nice as well.

When you have a young team that has played as poorly at times as this one has no game should be looked at as a gimmie, especially on the road. The Clips had just gotten killed by the Spurs and the Grizz in their last 2 games and were probably looking to take it out on a bad team coming in, especially with Gordan and Randolph back. That we played badly for so long and held in to win is really a positive.

Now, if we were at the level of the Spurs or Lakers and this happened then i might be worried. Obviously we are not, so this win without our best player is one to look at positively and then move on.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danman View Post
    Baron was out. The Clips had two mismatches going, no one could guard Gordon in the first half, and he was on. The other was that Foster can't handle Zach.

The stuff about BRush shutting Gordon down is true. He's quick and long enough to play up on him and still give him problems getting to the lane. The last 10 games make me think that BRush, at minimum, will stick in the league as a defensive specialist. Give the kid another year or so of experience and he's going to be locking some guys up.
    Speaking of shutting people down... If Randolph was giving us problems, you might think Obrien would have put McRoberts on him... There was a similar situation in the last clippers game where Zach killed us all night and Mcbob got the assignment in OT(due to people fouling out) and totally shut him down.

I'm starting to think the conspiracy theorists are right, TPTB are keeping Mcbob on the bench to keep his value down so he can be resigned easier.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    There was a similar situation in the last clippers game where Zach killed us all night and Mcbob got the assignment in OT(due to people fouling out) and totally shut him down.
    I remember that! That was when I really started taking Mac seriously.

Enjoy your time at PD!