Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice article on Troy Murphy @ RealGM

Default Re: Nice article on Troy Murphy @ RealGM

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's just so petty.
    It does have the: "Troy, your defense is weak, you have no post game, and your contract is too big. And oh, yeah...your mother wears army boots, too" kind of feel to it.

I played center in HS and Juco and after finishing my degree at a 4-year-school I coached HS and juco for several years. I wasn't particularly athletic, but I was big and mean. When Troy is doing what he is supposed to be doing, he's blocking out and watching the ball. He doesn't have time to see where everyone is on the floor until he gets the ball. He's doing what he does very well. Defensively, he's going to have trouble with athletic people, but he plays very good team defense and, as of late, has made several good plays. He will still get beat one-on-one by the Dwight Howards of the world, but then so would everyone on this board as well as most in the NBA.

This is the kind of play the Warriors expected out of Murphy when they gave him that contract, so he's finally playing equal to his pay, which is a good thing, considering he's the bad contract we had to take to get rid of Stephen Jackson.

Having said that, Troy is going to do his best work on a team that has a true center that is a dominant low post player on both ends. That way, he can spread the floor, opening up the low block and passing lanes on offense, can defend the weaker interior player on defense, and gobble up rebounds away from the basket. He would have been great next to Big Z in his prime, and I think currently he's be excellent next to Yao.

The question is, can he be great next to Hibbert? If Roy becomes the offensive player we think he can be, I think that Murphy can remain an integral part of this team's plans for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    I played center in HS and Juco and after finishing my degree at a 4-year-school I coached HS and juco for several years. I wasn't particularly athletic, but I was big and mean. When Troy is doing what he is supposed to be doing, he's blocking out and watching the ball. He doesn't have time to see where everyone is on the floor until he gets the ball. He's doing what he does very well. Defensively, he's going to have trouble with athletic people, but he plays very good team defense and, as of late, has made several good plays. He will still get beat one-on-one by the Dwight Howards of the world, but then so would everyone on this board as well as most in the NBA.
    I'm with you on the rebounding, but that just some weird thing on this board.

But his team D? Not saying he doesn't care and is clueless... Like Zack Randoph. But Murph is slowfooted as hell, reacts slowly, and can't jump. He's not going to make it there on most help situations, and there's not much he can do if he does get there. He can't step away from the basket area because you can blow past him easily.

He has a little talent for smacking the ball away from people. He can also hold position and not get backed down (see Chris Bosh).

For a veteran starter in the NBA, he's a bad defender.

PS. As an offensive player, he's been outstanding this year. Quality rebounder, solid scorer, and he doesn't clog the lane, which really helps the slashers. Plus he drags opposing big men away from the rim. Props.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I don't understand the argument that "he goes for every rebound, even if his teammates are nearby". Duh! He's a power forward, and he's taught to go after the damn ball! If he didn't, you all would say "he's not aggressive enough, I want him to KNOCK OVER HIS TEAMMATES to get those rebounds, whine whine whine..."

Some of you just have to whine about something, even if it's mostly just baseless and nonsensical. Seriously. It's completely assinine to knock a power forward for going after rebounds. It's like knocking a scorer for scoring too much, or a PG for assisting too much. I'd rather have a player who takes no chances securing the ball, than a player who passively tries to allow his teammates to get the rebound. WHO CARES who gets the freakin rebound as long as our TEAM gets it! Would you rather the other team get it? Would you rather the PG get the rebound for whatever reason? Who cares? And since he's a PF who can reliably step out and hit the 3 on offense, yep --- his offensive rebounds will obviously take a hit! Golly gee!

Tired of this freakin argument...
    Not necessarily Post of the Year, but I'll take it! Spot on, dude!!