Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice article on Troy Murphy @ RealGM

Thumbs up Nice article on Troy Murphy @ RealGM

Murphy Provides Rare Consistency

http://pacers.realgm.com/articles/16...e_consistency/

Saying that the Indiana Pacers have been inconsistent this season would be an understatement. In fact, their roller coaster ride of a campaign has been well-documented -– just check the archive to the left of this piece.

Prior to his knee and foot injuries, Danny Granger was the lone picture of stability in Indiana. But in recent weeks, another member of the team has stepped up as the most reliable force on the court.

Troy Murphy, the "overpaid" forward that the Pacers acquired from the Warriors a little more than two years ago, is having the best season of his eight-year career.

He's averaging a double-double (13.8 points and 11.8 rebounds) for the fourth time in his career, and ranks third in the NBA in that category.

Murphy has 37 double-doubles in his 57 games this season, behind only New York's David Lee (48) and Orlando's Dwight Howard (47). Howard started for the Eastern Conference All-Star team last month, while Lee's name was mentioned by many as a reserve candidate.

Murphy's name was barely whispered.

It's not hard to imagine why Murphy has avoided the spotlight despite a stellar year. The Pacers were 26-36 after an upset win over the Nuggets on Sunday night and although they stand just three games out of eighth place, injuries to Mike Dunleavy (knee; done for the season) and Granger have made a playoff run highly unlikely.

Murphy, who attended nearby Notre Dame, also ranks fourth in the NBA in rebounds per game, behind Howard, Marcus Camby and Lee. His numbers in the month of February, were hard to ignore -- 18.5 points and 12.8 boards, while shooting 51.3% from the field and 45.5% from three-point land.

Lee and Howard have been praised for recording their double-doubles through three quarters, or even the first half, but Murphy has had his fair shares of "halfies" as well. On Sunday night, he reached the milestone well before halftime against Denver.

What's even more impressive than his standing among the NBA's leaders in double-doubles is the talent below him on the list.

Top Ten Double-Double Producers
    1. Lee, New York – 48
    2. Howard, Orlando – 47
    3. Murphy, Indiana – 37
    4. Tim Duncan, San Antonio – 35
    5. Chris Paul, New Orleans – 35
    6. Emeka Okafor, Charlotte – 31
    7. Antawn Jamison, Washington – 30
    8. Al Jefferson, Minnesota – 30
    9. Deron Williams, Utah – 29
    10. Chris Bosh, Toronto – 28

Taking those ten players out of the context of that list, there's no way 99 out of 100 people list Murphy in the same sentence as guys like Howard, Duncan, Paul, Jefferson, Williams and Bosh.

Murphy ranks pretty high in efficiency numbers this season as well.

He's fifteenth in the league in terms of total FIC (Chris Reina's Floor Impact Counter), with an FIC per 40 of 17.7. That is better than Lee, Rajon Rondo, Bosh, Jamison, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Durant, Yao Ming, Andre Iguodala, Amare Stoudemire, Devin Harris, Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce.

I think you get my point.

He also has a Reina Value of +49%, which essentially means that he deserves to earn more than what the Pacers are paying him this season ($10M+), which happens to be an amount that many people consider to be too high. Fifty-five players are paid more in the NBA right now, but only fourteen have been more productive according to FIC totals.

In addition to mentioning his salary, Murphy's critics often point to the forward's penchant for battling teammates for rebounds. Here's the thing: wouldn't you rather have a player battle for every rebound than concede to a teammate that might not end up grabbing the miss?

You don't think Lee, Howard and Camby often jump for the same rebound as their teammates in New York, Orlando and Los Angeles, respectively?

Murphy is better on the defensive glass than on the offensive end, due in part to his ability to step out of the paint to knock down a three, but he's still among the best in the league in terms of rebounding percentage.

According to Basketball-Reference.com, Murphy grabs 19.4% of the rebounds available when he's on the floor. That's fourth to Howard, Camby and Andris Biedrins.

Murphy has also lightened up Indiana's locker room, perhaps with stronger personalities elsewhere this season.

He's contributed a blog to Pacers.com, admitted his desire to become a wedding planner, sported a thin eighties mustache, and even maintains his own Facebook page.

Even better than that?

He's provided the Pacers with consistency, something they have consistently lacked this season.

Andrew Perna is Deputy Editor of RealGM.com and co-host of RealGM's Radio Show. Please feel free to contact him with comments or questions via e-mail: Andrew.Perna@RealGM.com

I am happy to see Troy getting his due this season . He has been our most consistant player , and imho is a KEY cog in the future of this Pacers team ..
    Last edited by Kemo; 03-05-2009 at 08:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Default Re: Nice article on Troy Murphy @ RealGM

Good for Troy, however there is a high probability that this thread explodes.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Good for Troy, however there is a high probability that this thread explodes.
    Why? Everyone understands Troy is consistent. Some just value what he's consistent in and what he is consistent in not being more than others.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I need to see a link and the author of the article when pasting an article. Thanks.

*edit* Okay, I see the author at the bottom, but where is the link?

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been very pleased with Murph this year, he's not so "overpaid" anymore.

There ya go , sorry forgot .. heh

Isn't really my intention to start even more murphy debate , just to show that our guy IS being given props from other media outlets and having articles wrote up on him ..

Just wanted to share ..

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Why? Everyone understands Troy is consistent. Some just value what he's consistent in and what he is consistent in not being more than others.
    Listing him with all-stars statistically. An article saying he is underpaid contradicts the hate he has received from this board. Not to mention it takes a direct shot at the fighting for rebounds crews mindset.

*personally I am happy for Troy. Troy>Al Harrington

Disclaimer: Troy Murphy has had an excellent year, the best of his career.

The article is myopic. Battling teammates for rebounds is the big objection to elevating Murphy's rep? Please. It's a silly argument.

The hole in Murph's game is defense. He's really bad on that end. If you compared it to "rebound battling," you're comparing Mount Everest to Mars Hill.

If Murph was an average defender, he'd be a borderline all star. In reality, he's a sixth man on a good team.

Banned

Well there you go! Like I stated before, some fans perceptions of Troy are not what reality shows.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

wouldn't you rather have a player battle for every rebound than concede to a teammate that might not end up grabbing the miss?
    No.

Not when there is clearly no one for miles or when he's actually physically knocking them around pretty good.

But that's not the point anyway, the point is that you must take his rebound totals with a grain of salt, that's all. He's NOT a better rebounder than Duncan, Jefferson or Camby. He's not that close to David Lee either, based on seeing them head to head when a tough rebound was needed.

His rebounds are like steroid era HRs. Sure Bonds and McGwire were going to hit some out, just not that many.

BTW, let's see his stats for his Pacers duration and compare that to his pay. Still "underpaid". Whoops.

Making good statistically on a high-pace, 3pt happy team with a big losing record is not exactly going to get teams beating down the door to trade for him. Find me a person that trades any of those players listed next to him for him. I don't think you could pry Okafur or Jamison away for Troy right now, let alone the face smack you'd get for mentioning Duncan's name to the Spurs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    No.

Not when there is clearly no one for miles or when he's actually physically knocking them around pretty good.

But that's not the point anyway, the point is that you must take his rebound totals with a grain of salt, that's all. He's NOT a better rebounder than Duncan, Jefferson or Camby. He's not that close to David Lee either, based on seeing them head to head when a tough rebound was needed.

His rebounds are like steroid era HRs. Sure Bonds and McGwire were going to hit some out, just not that many.

BTW, let's see his stats for his Pacers duration and compare that to his pay. Still "underpaid". Whoops.

Making good statistically on a high-pace, 3pt happy team with a big losing record is not exactly going to get teams beating down the door to trade for him. Find me a person that trades any of those players listed next to him for him. I don't think you could pry Okafur or Jamison away for Troy right now, let alone the face smack you'd get for mentioning Duncan's name to the Spurs.

You don't think Lee, Howard and Camby often jump for the same rebound as their teammates in New York, Orlando and Los Angeles, respectively?

But, but ,but , but , but, but, but,

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

According to Basketball-Reference.com, Murphy grabs 19.4% of the rebounds available when he's on the floor. That's fourth to Howard, Camby and Andris Biedrins.
    Also according to BR he's one of the worst offensive rebounders among top 50 rebounders.

Banned

Now that should qualify you for funniest one liner of the year.

Banned

No.

good post

for everyone with facebook accounts troy has his own page you can add him as a friend
    i saw some pics of him on there with his girl

Nice article on Murphy. It's good to see he's finally getting some well deserved press for his consistent play. He has performed well and deserves the positive recognition.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't understand the argument that "he goes for every rebound, even if his teammates are nearby". Duh! He's a power forward, and he's taught to go after the damn ball! If he didn't, you all would say "he's not aggressive enough, I want him to KNOCK OVER HIS TEAMMATES to get those rebounds, whine whine whine..."

Some of you just have to whine about something, even if it's mostly just baseless and nonsensical. Seriously. It's completely assinine to knock a power forward for going after rebounds. It's like knocking a scorer for scoring too much, or a PG for assisting too much. I'd rather have a player who takes no chances securing the ball, than a player who passively tries to allow his teammates to get the rebound. WHO CARES who gets the freakin rebound as long as our TEAM gets it! Would you rather the other team get it? Would you rather the PG get the rebound for whatever reason? Who cares? And since he's a PF who can reliably step out and hit the 3 on offense, yep --- his offensive rebounds will obviously take a hit! Golly gee!

Tired of this freakin argument...
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-05-2009 at 11:08 PM.

I've been arguing for Troy on the other thread at the risk of trashing the 1% respect I now get. No more arguments from me.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

For all we know Bird has told Troy to get every rebound he can get and Troy's doing it. Bird probably would like all the Pacers to have Troy's mindset.

I don't know if it was this last game or not but I remember seeing Jeff take a rebound away from Troy. As Gomer Pile used to say, Shame on him! Shame, shame, shame!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Troy is consistent and has definite qualities, however he also has a huge deficiency when it comes to defense. That's mostly why he doesn't get ranked as a borderline all-star as suggested. Can't see how you could miss such a hole as a writer.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I think you need to look a lot deeper than this shallow argument. Hard to be much impact
    if you are the 4th, 5th or 6th option on offense or if you are sitting on the bench.
    Bottom line is given the minutes and opportunity he has excelled. His shooting percentages
    are outstanding. You can't take that away no matter what the argument. Troy is not making
    lay-ups.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Banned

His teamates would disagree with Troy's detractors.

http://beta.indystar.com/article/200...TS04/903060346

Jeff Rabjohns

Kick it, I think it's still moving!

In the interest of being kinder than my previous post, I'll say this: we haven't done any favors for Troy defensively. Imagine that we draft a Dale Davis type shotblocker big man who can move his feet. Then imagine that Granger defends small forward because Dun has to come off the bench -- or is on the IR -- next year. Danny is better off there than defending a wing, plus his shotblocking comes into play.

Much like Smits, Murph's defensive issues would become a whooooole lot more palatable.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    For all we know Bird has told Troy to get every rebound he can get and Troy's doing it. Bird probably would like all the Pacers to have Troy's mindset.

I don't know if it was this last game or not but I remember seeing Jeff take a rebound away from Troy. As Gomer Pile used to say, Shame on him! Shame, shame, shame!
    I would think LB would knock over his own mother to go get a ball. I've found the whole argument very silly myself.

It's silly, because that is how well he's been playing. Fighting teammates over a loose ball is the thing that he's been bashed for. Outside of defense, if that's all we have to worry about with him, then that is an EXTREMELY good thing.

It's just so petty.