Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Ron Mercer

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Question about Ron Mercer

This is a really random thing to bring up, but I was looking for a quote today about Donnie Walsh claiming that Jalen Rose was not being shopped (for something unrelated to basketball) and I got to reading the synopsis of the Rose for Miller/Artest/Mercer trade.

Why did Ron (Mercer) not work out in Indiana? It appears that before he was traded to the Pacers he was actually averaging 16.8 ppg. When he came to Indiana, he averaged only about 5. The next season, he averaged 7, and then was picked up by San Antonio, where his numbers stayed in the same ballpark.

I just think it is strange for someone who had been averaging 15+ ppg since his rookie year to drop off so rapidly like that. I don't remember the brief Ron Mercer era in Indiana that well, as I was going through some stupid high school phase where I thought I was too cool to like sports, or something.

Can any of the old diehards help me out here?

Default Re: Question about Ron Mercer

Knees injuries. I remember thinking he'd be Reggie's replacement, silly me. He played alot of point for some reason while he was here.

I'm offended to be called an "old diehard" - but not offended enough to not answer your question. (sorry for the poor grammar - that is what happens when you get old)

He wasn't that good, the question is how in the heck did he average 16.8 points per game. This question needs to be addressed by Bulls fans.

Lets see we have a Harrison thread, and now a Mercer thread. Maybe now is the time for a Kevin Ollie thread

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Kevin Ollie, one of the single most important 10th men in our storied franchise history!

He did have 4 1/2 good seasons w/ the Celtics,Nuggets, Magic & Bulls.
    & then that half season of 16.8

I guess we should really ask the Pacers what happened.

He was a combo of decent player on crappy teams/ injuries though right?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm offended to be called an "old diehard" - but not offended enough to not answer your question. (sorry for the poor grammar - that is what happens when you get old)

He wasn't that good, the question is how in the heck did he average 16.8 points per game. This question needs to be addressed by Bulls fans.

Lets see we have a Harrison thread, and now a Mercer thread. Maybe now is the time for a Kevin Ollie thread
    Sorry Buck, I can't ever miss a good opportunity to harass you. I will be in town for the 500 in May, so be prepared to find a burning pile of you know what on your doorstep.

FWIW, I actually liked Kevin Ollie, and I even liked Keith McLeod pretty well. Believe it or not, Ollie is still in the league. See, I have proof, he's in the new Wolves uni.

Last edited by idioteque; 03-06-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post

4 teams in 4 years. Maybe that says something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post

Good points. OK, I'll go with the knee injury thing. Isiah did play him a lot at point guard. Didn't Mercer have a pretty good playoff series for us I think either against the Nets (2002)or the Celtics (2003). Mercer was a decent NBA player - I think there were some issues with him though on the court stuff - oh wait, weren't there rumors of him staying out late and not working hard in practice. I should just shut up because this is very vague. Artest dominated things so much back then, who remembers Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Artest dominated things so much back then, who remembers Mercer
    I do.

The Bulls had a ridiculous amount of cap space, and they planned to use it on TMac and Duncan. Both guys stiffed them, and so Chicago had all this space to use and nobody who wanted to sign there (it was very much NOT seen as a destination franchise back then). Chicago missed the premiere free agents, and then missed the secondaries (who all got signed while Chi was pursuing bigger names) and thus had to settle for the third-stringers, ie Mercer.

Mercer was the poster child for the best scorer on a bad team. His percentages were atrocious, and while he led the team in scoring he wasn't someone anybody feared. Indy didn't want him at all... instead they wanted Oakley and his expiring contract (Mercer had another year at like 7mil, which back then was big money). But they got Mercer instead, and they really didn't have a place for him. Reggie was the starting 2, Ron was the starting 3, Al was still a 3, Bender was a 3. Mercer was a decent ballhandler and passer, so Zeke played him at point a lot (Zeke really wanted the big point guard thing to work).

Indy ended up sending Hedo Turkoglu to San Antonio in return for their taking Mercer. Nobody cried when he left. He never did anything afterwards, either.

The dude had a lot of natural talent, but he never really improved at the NBA level. He just didn't have the drive that guys like Granger had. I don't know that he ever got in major trouble for anything, although the rumors were that he was pretty self-centered, but he was hardly alone in that group.

Basically, the reason he didn't do more for the Pacers was that he wasn't good enough to be a major part of the rotation.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Indy ended up sending Hedo Turkoglu to San Antonio in return for their taking Mercer.
    Misleading.. that was a three team deal. The way you wrote it you made me think we actually had Turkoglu I was about to be pissed we didn't keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Sorry Buck, I can't ever miss a good opportunity to harass you. I will be in town for the 500 in May, so be prepared to find a burning pile of you know what on your doorstep.

FWIW, I actually liked Kevin Ollie, and I even liked Keith McLeod pretty well. Believe it or not, Ollie is still in the league. See, I have proof, he's in the new Wolves uni.

having eyebrows bigger than mustache is the definition of cool

Ron Mercer was a notoriously streaky shooter. Once, he went 14 months without hitting a jump shot, then hit four straight, justifying his attempts for another year. Isiah did use him at point, but Isiah used virtually everyone on the roster at point at one time or another.

They did have to install a new offense when he played the point, but it wasn't difficult to pick up, since it only involved the other players on the team running frantically back on defense after Mercer had turned it over around half court.

It was called the "ultra-quick."

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember not knowing much about Mercer except that he had a good scoring average when he came to the team, and then I remember being underwhelmed after watching him play his first few games, thinking to myself "how did this guy average almost 20/game?"

I remember that some folks seemed to think he was athletic, but to me, he seemed slow, no explosion, not very good hops, not very strong, and not very quick... compared to everyone else on the court, anyway. Maybe he was going through some injuries at the time, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Kevin Ollie, one of the single most important 10th men in our storied franchise history!
    Kevin Ollie had the all important assist on the all important basket that caused the NBA to start reviewing plays at the end of quarters to see if the shot got off the shooters hand before the red light lit up.

Also, Ron Mercer had a 3 point play against Jason Kid in the 5th game of that series. The f...ing refree called it a charge on Ron Mercer. It was at the end of regulation or end of 1st OT. I am sure we would have won that game with that 3 pt. play

I remember being pretty excited to get him. But the guy could only shoot around the 15-17 foot range and was very inconsistent. Isiah did play him at PG alot, which really hurt and Anthem is right about the best scorer on a bad team.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    Kevin Ollie had the all important assist on the all important basket that caused the NBA to start reviewing plays at the end of quarters to see if the shot got off the shooters hand before the red light lit up.

Also, Ron Mercer had a 3 point play against Jason Kid in the 5th game of that series. The f...ing refree called it a charge on Ron Mercer. It was at the end of regulation or end of 1st OT. I am sure we would have won that game with that 3 pt. play
    Of course, Ollie also airballed a 12-footer in the first OT that I think would have given or extended our lead...at a key point.

After the game, Reggie made frustrated comments about players not being ready to deal with that situation, and I always thought the Ollie play was the big one he was talking about.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

His knees were bad, so by the time he got to Indiana he was a shooter only, but his range was only out to about 18 feet.

That's a bad combination.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

He could still get up, when he wanted too. (TWSS)

My most vivid memory of him was a game against the PaperClips. He caught a fast break oop and the ball seemed like it went past the corner of the backboard towards out of bounds. Merc caught it one hand, and threw it down. It would have been just an amazing catch, period. I believe it was #1 on SC's Top 10 that day. (I was sitting row 5 right on the corner where it happened that day, so it's clear as can be.)

It was also when I fell in love with Ron the player. He had a hell of a shooting game, just scoring at will. He also racked up other good numbers as well. Too bad Ron the person let me down.

billbradley

i remember mercer doing everything right except making the shot

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    i remember mercer doing everything right except making the shot
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Ron Mercer was a notoriously streaky shooter. Once, he went 14 months without hitting a jump shot, then hit four straight, justifying his attempts for another year.

Quite possibly both the funniest and most honest statement I have ever read on here, all wrapped into one. Exactly, the Ron Mercer I remember.

woman without a team

I loved Ron Mercer.

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Misleading.. that was a three team deal. The way you wrote it you made me think we actually had Turkoglu I was about to be pissed we didn't keep him.
    We did have him. He was ours; we could have kept him if we wanted to.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    We did have him. He was ours; we could have kept him if we wanted to.
    Yep. Brad Miller was turned into Scot Pollard and Hedo Turkoglu. We then turned Hedo and Ron into Danny Ferry's expiring contract.

At least the Pacers saved money.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    At least the Pacers saved money.
    How did they do that? Your post doesn't mention anything about automobile insurance or GEICO.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you