Thread: Blockbuster vs. Netflix ?

Default Blockbuster vs. Netflix ?

Hey

I've been a long time Blockbuster member but they've just changed the way they're shipping out movies that you get on line.

Long story short...

I'm thinking about going with Netflix & would like to hear if anyone has had any problems with their service or movies?

Thanks

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Blockbuster vs. Netflix ?

I've had both, currently on NetFlix. I've not had any problems with Netflix. Their turnaround seems quicker than Blockbuster, but it's been a couple of years since I was with Blockbuster, so they might have improved.

The main problem I had with Blockbuster was the high percentage of damaged, unplayable movies I was receiving, but so far in almost two years with Netflix, I've only received one.

I'm on my second run with Netflix, and I've had nothing but good experiences.

I'll warn you that I've heard of people (via things I've read on another forum) who had bad experiences with them.

However, it's always been smooth sailing for me. I'd recommend them.

I'm happy with Netflix service.

The selection of movies/tv shows to view online is now pretty good, as well.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love my netflix, never had an issue.

Netflix here.

Netflix is very fast for me... usually. And predictable (I know if I send a movie back on X day that in X day plus 2 I'll have my new movie from Netflix.

Complaints?
    I assume they still do this although maybe not since I'm not turning around movies as quickly as I used to. If you try and watch (or record) the movies and immediately return them the next day to get more movies faster, they eventually 'throttle' you. They won't say they're throttling you, you'll just notice it starts taking an extra day or so to get your movies. IIRC what happens is you suddenly notice your returns APPEARING to take an extra day to get to Netflix (if you check status online). If you slow down a bit, suddenly your returns appear to get to Netflix quicker and thus the new movies ship to you quicker.

I also didn't like how they dropped HD-DVD's -immediately- at the end of the 'war'. They already had a nice stock of HD-DVD's in the system. Why 'pull' them (especially when stats showed heavier HD-DVD users at Netflix than Blu Ray users) instead of just letting the existing HD-DVD stock to phase itself out? IMHO pulling them was bad customer service... they should've simply used them until they reached the end of their useful life and then taken them out of inventory.

-Bball "Still angry over the way the HD-DVD war played out"
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

The war's over. Our side won the war. Now we must busy ourselves winning the peace. And Bball, there's an old saying: To the victors belong the spoils.
    Last edited by MagicRat; 03-06-2009 at 07:36 AM.

Mood

I have Netflix.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The war's over. Our side won the war. Now we must busy ourselves winning the peace. And Bball, there's an old saying: To the victors belong the spoils.
    Not really that many spoils for the victor. By the time Blu-Ray gets down to prices the average consumer finds attractive, it will have been overtaken by other technologies. Blu-Ray won't be that far behind in joining HD-DVD on the scrap heap of technological history.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabney Prood View Post
    Not really that many spoils for the victor. By the time Blu-Ray gets down to prices the average consumer finds attractive, it will have been overtaken by other technologies. Blu-Ray won't be that far behind in joining HD-DVD on the scrap heap of technological history.
    Interesting. How soon do you think Blu-Ray will be overtaken by other technologies. (I'm sure it will happen, as that is just the way things go) but how soon, should I not buy a Blu-Ray player?

Mood

First off, I could be totally wrong (often am) but some are predicting Blu-ray's demise as occurring within five years. Those predictions were made before the economy tanked, so Blu-ray is even more of "nice to have, but can't afford it right now" item, which is going to push mass adoption back even further, which means other technologies (HD streaming, solid state drives, e.g.) will have extra time to gain on Blu-ray.

Here are some links to articles on the subject.

Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony!
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=365&tag=nl.e539

Blu-ray is dead: the sequel
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=366

So is Blu-ray really dead?
    http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/commen...y-really-dead/

Blu-ray dead within five years - DVD is simply good enough
    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...y-good-enough/

...and a rebuttal (this is referenced in the "Blu-ray is dead: the sequel" article from above)

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwoc...61.html#bdrant
    Last edited by Dab; 03-06-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabney Prood View Post
    Sorry, but the proper response is:

There's another old saying, Senator: Don't p*** down my back and tell me it's raining.

I think BD will be around about the same length of time as DVD, but it won't be as widespread because not nearly as many people have the right kind or right size of TV to care about the better quality. Let alone having the audio equipment for the better sound. Personally, I do have the right TV and audio equipment, and I'm strictly a BD guy now.

I've had Netflix for about four years now, and have been very happy with it. I wasn't too keen on them charging me extra for Blu-Ray access, but I suppose it makes sense from a business model perspective, now that everything is being released on BD.

As for Blu-Ray dying, I'd be surprised. Both DVD players and VHS players were ridiculously expensive when they first entered the market, and just like BD, both were significant leaps forward for visual and audio quality. The difference currently is that for both DVD and VHS, the current crop of TVs and audio equipment was more than equal to the task of showing 100% of what that equipment can bring to the table. I'm here to tell you, on a 29" tube TV, BD doesn't look or sound much better than DVD. However, on a 65" widescreen DLP with 7.1 surround sound, it's absolutely light years ahead of DVD, and well, well, well worth the extra $5 to $10 per disc.

Speaking of which, and I suppose I'm helping to turn this into a BD thread, people always say how BD is SOOO much more expensive. Is it really? Seems like any BD movie you buy is packed with all the features they usually sell in the 2-4 disc collector's edition DVD, which is usually priced a premium, often not too far short of the cost of the BD disc. Also, back to Netflix, it's only $1 more for me per month for all the Blu-Ray I can watch, which is really an negligible cost for the step up in quality.

I think that people overestimate the speed at which broadband is going to enable the country to watch HD in their home via the internet, and understimate the tried-and-true model of VHS and DVD. Currently the only bottleneck for Blu-Ray is the percentage of homes with a 42+" HD display.

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

I got my Lady Friend a Netflix account for Christmas of 07 (15 Months ago) and its amazing... I think she has had maybe 4 discs that have been scratched and/or mislabeled* but since we don't live together I can't be sure.

The mislabeling thing only happened once when a Season of a show she was watching abrubtly ended and the Last Disc in the series did not contain the season finale... I don't remember HOW that one even happened/was resolved but it was taken care of... somehow.

Also... since we don't live together I can log onto to Netflix's "Watch Instantly" at my Laptop at Work or even my Xbox 360 (at work ) , which is the best choice because if you have fast enough Internet you can watch a lot of stuff "instantly" in HD and since My Xbox is usually hooked up to a good sized TV its WAY better than a 17" CPU screen. Looks better, sounds better, IS better. GO XBOX!!! The Netflix App is free by the way assuming you have a Netflix account and an Xbox 360, you just have to download a KB of Software over your Dashboard. And considering their Next Best option is $100 for Watching Instantly You had might as well just buy an Xbox. Unless you have a TiVo which also allows for instant viewing. And thats how you turn a Christmas Gift to someone else into the Perfect Gift for yourself!

I cannot speak Ill of Blockbuster as I have not had it but I do think the returning it in store for another movie sounds like a good idea. Still, Everyone should have an Xbox and Netflix... ManLaw.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I think BD will be around about the same length of time as DVD, but it won't be as widespread because not nearly as many people have the right kind or right size of TV to care about the better quality. Let alone having the audio equipment for the better sound. Personally, I do have the right TV and audio equipment, and I'm strictly a BD guy now.
    I sold my PS3 to get a standalone BD player. I got Sony's best model. Even with the size of my TV, the upconvert looks quite well using the BD player with regular DVDs. I can tell the difference, but it isn't enough to justify purchasing every movie in BD format.

Movies I have bought in the past 6 months in BD:

The Dark Knight

Pineapple Express

Zack and Miri

Wall-E

Some of the movies on DVD that I have bought in the past 6 months on DVD:

My Best Friend's Girl

Made of Honor

Iron Man

The House Bunny

Sex Drive: Unrated (Should've bought on Blu-Ray)

So you see that I've only purchased "great" movies on BD so far...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Iron Man is one of those films you definitely should have picked up on Blu-Ray instead of DVD. It looks phenomenal.

Netflix charges extra for Blu Ray? When did that start that?

-Bball

EDIT: I see it now. So, when did they start that? I never had to pay a surcharge for HD-DVD. I simply had to check off that I had an HD-DVD player and automatically any movie in my que that was available in HD-DVD was sent to me in HD-DVD. ....And I thought it was that way for Blu Ray then as well.

The war may be over but it appears nobody really won. The problem with the war is that it wasn't really decided in the marketplace.
    Last edited by Bball; 03-07-2009 at 03:29 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

My advice to anyone with Blu Ray and a 120 Hz TV, turn off whatever 120 Hz settings you have on when you watch a Blu Ray DVD.

I have an LG 37 inch 60 series TV with 120 Hz. My first Blu Ray I popped in my PS3 was so real looking, it was rather creepy honestly. It looked like I was truly in the studio watching it during filming. You would think that would be a compliment, but it's not. It was quite jarring, honestly.

I turned off LG's "Tru Motion" (the 120 Hz option they offer) and it was so much better.

Video games the 120 Hz didn't help any either. Playing Fallout 3 and Halo 3 I got some strange visual effects with the 120 Hz turned on too. I'd just avoid 120 Hz technology all together honestly. So far I've seen no advantages.

On topic, I have Netflix and have had no issues at all. I'd recommend it.

-- Steve --

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Iron Man is one of those films you definitely should have picked up on Blu-Ray instead of DVD. It looks phenomenal.
    Can't beat the used DVD sales they have here in Bedford at Family Video.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Netflix charges extra for Blu Ray? When did that start that?

-Bball

EDIT: I see it now. So, when did they start that? I never had to pay a surcharge for HD-DVD. I simply had to check off that I had an HD-DVD player and automatically any movie in my que that was available in HD-DVD was sent to me in HD-DVD. ....And I thought it was that way for Blu Ray then as well.

The war may be over but it appears nobody really won. The problem with the war is that it wasn't really decided in the marketplace.
    $ .99 more a month.

We've been using Redbox.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Twes View Post
    We've been using Redbox.
    I get a free code every week.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I get a free code every week.
    Cool

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Twes View Post
    Cool
    All you have to do is go to their website, and sign up for their weekly e-mail, and every Monday you get a code for a free rental.