Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JOB "definitely back" next season.......

Default JOB "definitely back" next season.......

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009.../1088/SPORTS04

Among other things in the article......

O'Brien will return

Even though the Pacers' playoff drought could reach three years for the first time since 1987, O'Brien's job is not in jeopardy. Taking over in the early stages of a massive restructuring that took a hit when a knee injury shelved Dunleavy all but 18 games this year, O'Brien is 63-82 in two seasons with the Pacers.

"He's definitely back," Bird said.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Default Re: JOB "definitely back" next season.......

Fire starter.....

No point in firing him, and spending a couple million extra on a guy who won't make this team into a title contender, especially when you're losing money.

Good move by Bird and management.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let the moans begin...

I for one agree that next year we should have him back.

Think of this:
    Ford is finally recovering from the the nagging injury.
    Rasho seems to be more mobile maybe because Hibbert is playing more minutes.
    Daniels has a lift to his shot that I have not seen and is playing outstanding defense.
    Diener is finally producing.
    Murphy is playing above what most people predicted.
    Hibbert is giving things that others cannot.

Couple all of this with Granger and Dun returning next year. The players seem to be more aquaited with the system and each other. I expect them to make the playoffs next year. Granted they probaly won't be the contenders that some expect so quickly, but you cannot deny this team is improving. Before we had players that improved, now the team is improving, together. That is coaching folks, no matter how you slice it.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I can live with JOB. I think he brings a lot to the table.

If he plays our potential guys more next year--Rush, Roy, McRoberts, Unknown draft pick--then I'll like him better.

He sticks with his known entities too much. But, then, so did Rick Carlisle.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool.

man you guys love this guy!

another year of worthless basketball. thanks larry!

I have been considering starting a thread with the title - "is anyone ever going to give O'Brien some credit" He has kept this team together through the losing, through the injuries, through the tough losses - he's done a remarkable job. And yet very, very rarely does he even get a mention of doing something well. I've been trying to stay out of the whole O'Brien discussion - but he deserves a ton of credit and I think he's done a great coaching job to get this team to where it is right now. And look he has developed the rookies.

JOB is okay, I don't really have a problem with this. There are certainly things he could do better but there is no point investing in a higher profile coach right now.

For those who don't want JOB back next year- give me a viable alternative who would come to Indiana and whom we could afford.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been considering starting a thread with the title - "is anyone ever going to give O'Brien some credit" He has kept this team together through the losing, through the injuries, through the tough losses - he's done a remarkable job. And yet very, very rarely does he even get a mention of doing something well. I've been trying to stay out of the whole O'Brien discussion - but he deserves a ton of credit and I think he's done a great coaching job to get this team to where it is right now. And look he has developed the rookies.
    O'Brien has done well with what he has. A while back this season I was a little early to jump the gun on Obie, but you can only do so much with the cards you are dealt.

Jim may have made some odd decisions with timeouts and rotations, but it is all a result of wanting to win. Developing our young guys had to take a back seat if not at an incrimental pace. Looking at the way injuries have played into account, these guys have really been given a good chance to show what they can do at an NBA level.

With that said, JOB has done a good job so far, given the sircumstances. Getting upset with the coach is just a result in what we've had out there this season. Not many people last season went so crazy on him.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

I no longer blame our coach for any of his questionable rotations, play calling, failure to manage game momentum with strategic timeouts (worse earlier in the season), or running our players into the ground by demanding a faster pace than our guys are physically capable of playing without suffering injuries (our pace of play has probably hastened the decline of Dunleavy with his known injury due to a higher intensity of physical stress on a more consistent basis than he would have experienced otherwise, and very likely has impacted Granger, Daniels, Ford, and Foster with all of the injuries they are dealing with / playing through).

Plainly, TPTB are fully supportive of this type of play and coaching style. Admittedly, we are competing with the elite teams at a far higher level than we would through solid fundamental play because the Pacers' style is not only confusing to our own players at times, it is also very disruptive and pressure inducing to our opponents, who get caught up in the flow of the game and reduces their own coaching staff's effectiveness due to their difficulty in communicating with their own players in a faster paced environment.

Now, the buck stops with Bird, and more importantly, the now more hands on Simon family. They are the professionals. They are supposed to know more than any of us about this business. They now need prove it to all of us who have doubted them and produce not only a competitive team that plays teams close at a nearly historic rate per number of games played, but a team that actually wins regardless of the style of play.

As I believe Al Davis of the Raiders used to say, "Just win, baby."

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Let the moans begin...

I for one agree that next year we should have him back.

Think of this:
    Ford is finally recovering from the the nagging injury.
    Rasho seems to be more mobile maybe because Hibbert is playing more minutes.
    Daniels has a lift to his shot that I have not seen and is playing outstanding defense.
    Diener is finally producing.
    Murphy is playing above what most people predicted.
    Hibbert is giving things that others cannot.

Couple all of this with Granger and Dun returning next year. The players seem to be more aquaited with the system and each other. I expect them to make the playoffs next year. Granted they probaly won't be the contenders that some expect so quickly, but you cannot deny this team is improving. Before we had players that improved, now the team is improving, together. That is coaching folks, no matter how you slice it.

Moan moan, but I already knew and had previously stated this would happen. The Simons aren't going to pay for another coach while still paying O'Brien's salary, not to mention it would put egg all over Bird's face for his "over the phone hiring." I have said in the past O'Brien won't be here after his contract expires, and I firmly believe it.

You point out Rasho and Daniels as if you believe both are going to be back next year, and neither in all probability will be back. You never mentioned Jack, so he hasn't done anything to help his game or the Pacers???

The way many of the players are currently playing is exactly why I have stated numerous times the talent on this team is better than last year. IMO, if this team had had a coach who emphasized playing "D" this team would be a 6th or so seed right now and not a team out of the playoffs looking/hoping to get in the playoffs. The Pacers have given up 100 or more points in 33 of their losses and 13 times in their wins for a total of 46 times out of the 64 games they have played. Wow, that means 18 games or approximately 3 out of every 4 games they give up 100 or more points to their opponents. O'Brien is too stubborn and inflexible for it to be any different next year. What you see now is what you'll get next year as well. WHOOPIE, I can hardly wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Moan moan, but I already knew and had previously stated this would happen. The Simons aren't going to pay for another coach while still paying O'Brien's salary, not to mention it would put egg all over Bird's face for his "over the phone hiring." I have said in the past O'Brien won't be here after his contract expires, and I firmly believe it.

You point out Rasho and Daniels as if you believe both are going to be back next year, and neither in all probability will be back. You never mentioned Jack, so he hasn't done anything to help his game or the Pacers???

The way many of the players are currently playing is exactly why I have stated numerous times the talent on this team is better than last year. IMO, if this team had had a coach who emphasized playing "D" this team would be a 6th or so seed right now and not a team out of the playoffs looking/hoping to get in the playoffs. The Pacers have given up 100 or more points in 33 of their losses and 13 times in their wins for a total of 46 times out of the 64 games they have played. Wow, that means 18 games or approximately 3 out of every 4 games they give up 100 or more points to their opponents. O'Brien is too stubborn and inflexible for it to be any different next year. What you see now is what you'll get next year as well. WHOOPIE, I can hardly wait!
    OK, to summarize your post. When the team wins the players get all the credit, and when the team loses, it is the coaches fault.

Pacers defense really since the allstar break has gotten much better - the effort is better, they are making fewer mental mistakes - I think it is quite noticeable

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    I no longer blame our coach for any of his questionable rotations, play calling, failure to manage game momentum with strategic timeouts (worse earlier in the season), or running our players into the ground by demanding a faster pace than our guys are physically capable of playing without suffering injuries (our pace of play has probably hastened the decline of Dunleavy with his known injury due to a higher intensity of physical stress on a more consistent basis than he would have experienced otherwise, and very likely has impacted Granger, Daniels, Ford, and Foster with all of the injuries they are dealing with / playing through).

Plainly, TPTB are fully supportive of this type of play and coaching style. Admittedly, we are competing with the elite teams at a far higher level than we would through solid fundamental play because the Pacers' style is not only confusing to our own players at times, it is also very disruptive and pressure inducing to our opponents, who get caught up in the flow of the game and reduces their own coaching staff's effectiveness due to their difficulty in communicating with their own players in a faster paced environment.

Now, the buck stops with Bird, and more importantly, the now more hands on Simon family. They are the professionals. They are supposed to know more than any of us about this business. They now need prove it to all of us who have doubted them and produce not only a competitive team that plays teams close at a nearly historic rate per number of games played, but a team that actually wins regardless of the style of play.

As I believe Al Davis of the Raiders used to say, "Just win, baby."
    Yes, because clearly Dunleavy plays at a faster pace under O'Brien than he did under Don Nelson in Golden State...

And clearly, Foster has never had any injury problems with his back prior JOB riding into town.

And also, Ford and Marquis were Iron Men prior to Jim coming in with his nefarious schemes to destroy all our players.

Well, for one thing, it ensures JOB will be a sub-.500 coach after next season.

I think JOB is getting the max out of what he has. I'll give him some credit. NBA is a players league. Doc Rivers was laughed at in Boston by fans, and then he got some players and won a championship.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Yes, because clearly Dunleavy plays at a faster pace under O'Brien than he did under Don Nelson in Golden State...

And clearly, Foster has never had any injury problems with his back prior JOB riding into town.

And also, Ford and Marquis were Iron Men prior to Jim coming in with his nefarious schemes to destroy all our players.
    I hope you are being sarcastic...

I consider McBob a rookie since he only played in 8 games with Portland last year, so O'Brien has helped McBob just how? By not playing him?

I consider McBob a rookie since he only played in 8 games with Portland last year, so O'Brien has helped McBob just how? By not playing him?
    How many rookies can he play - I think playing and developing two is quite enough. McBob was a throw-in - he might someday be a rotation player, nothing more. He needs to improve his game in the summers. In other words he just isn't that good to waste a lot of time on right now

Mood

How many rookies can he play - I think playing and developing two is quite enough. McBob was a throw-in - he might someday be a rotation player, nothing more. He needs to improve his game in the summers. In other words he just isn't that good to waste a lot of time on right now
    This is a good discussion for the thread about McRoberts I just made.

You should copy and paste what you just said in there, Buck.

lol

Absolutely. The team is in the middle of a playoff run and playing well. It's no time to worry about how to squeeze in minutes for a former 2nd round pick who was basically a trade throw in and spent last year in the D League.

There may be a time to worry about that in the future, but for crying out loud, right now is absolutely not that time.

Pacers defense really since the allstar break has gotten much better - the effort is better, they are making fewer mental mistakes - I think it is quite noticeable
    I'm surprised nobody has responded to this, but it's very true. I can't figure it out, actually... did the guys finally get the system? Has the system changed? What's different?

Regardless, I think we can all agree that we'd be solidly in the playoffs if we'd been playing defense like this all year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Regardless, I think we can all agree that we'd be solidly in the playoffs if we'd been playing defense like this all year.
    Absolutely. I'm definitely optimistic heading into next year, although have in no way given up hope on this season.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

OK, to summarize your post. When the team wins the players get all the credit, and when the team loses, it is the coaches fault.

Your summary is faulty. I never said that at all.

Let me summarize for you what I said.

1) I said I knew O'Brien would be back next year as coach.

2) I made a comment about Rasho, Daniels, and Jack.

3) I stated the Pacers have better talent this year than last.

4) I stated that the Pacers have given up 100 or more points 46 times this season. That if Pacers had a coach that emphasized "D" the Pacers would be currently in the playoffs and not looking in.

5) I stated what you see this year is what you'll see next year in regards to the system and coach.

Now, no where did I say the players get the credit for wins, now did I?

I'll meet you have half way. I'll give O'Brien credit for the 27 wins or 2 out of every 5 games, now will you give O'Brien the credit for the 37 losses that is 3 out of 5 games? I didn't think so.

Is this a case, like you posted last week, where you are just standing up for O'Brien b/c you don't like reading negative posts against O'Brien?

Have you seen where I have said anything negative about O'Brien about time outs, substuitions, playing time for Hibbert or Rush since early in the season? No, my big issue with O'Brien is lack of "D" in his system, and his stubborness and inflexibilty to change. Well that's not true. I have been negative about his ugly ties, and last night that shirt and tie combo was horrendous.

You refuse to see or say when he is/does wrong, and I won't overlook his fault of not emhasizing and playing "D". And as far as the "D" looking better since the AS break, it had no where to go but to get better. It sure couldn't have gotten worse. Now was that due to his coaching or the players putting forth more effort?

Considering the circumstances, I was half-expecting something like this. I have been very skeptical of O'Brien, especially considering the Pacers defense. But with the economic situation the Pacers are in, they're best interest is to see what can happen going into next year.

But if they get off to a bad start next year, I feel like Bird will finally lose his patience.