Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TO released by the Cowboys

Mood

Default TO released by the Cowboys

It was just reported on ESPN that TO was released by the Cowboys. Any thoughts?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: TO released by the Cowboys

HAHA

who wants him? the raiders?

Polian says he needs another receiver . . .
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We all saw what Tom Brady did when he got a receiver like Randy Moss, so what do you think Manning could do with Owens? It'll never happen in a million years though.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DanGrangerPwrRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We all saw what Tom Brady did when he got a receiver like Randy Moss, so what do you think Manning could do with Owens? It'll never happen in a million years though.
    That is an interesting thought. I wouldn't mind having someone with his talent level on our squad, but he is a nutcase.

I wouldn't mind him being here on a contract that's very Colt friendly towards a release. Meaning very little guaranteed money, and very little risk. As soon as he shows signs of being a retard again, send him packing.

I know the likelyhood of this is very near 0% however. No loss here.

-- Steve --

All this talk of TO wearing the horse shoe is interesting, but I think there's a bigger probability that Marvin will be wearing the star. Actually, I think the best place for Marvin is Philly. It's his home town, they need a solid route runner for McNabb.

I hate TO, but the thought of him in our offense is tempting.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Quote Originally Posted by DanGrangerPwrRanger View Post
    You guys already have someone nearly as good as Owens in Reggie Wayne.

It is going to come down to whether or not Owens wants money or he wants a ring. If he wants a ring, I could see him playing at a discount for any contender. If he wants money, he will probably sign with Oakland.

While I don't hate T.O. he's not coming here and the Colts don't need him. Our needs are as always on defense.

Besides if we wanted an aging wide receiver we would've kept Marvin.

Mood

TO is a great talent, but he needs a situation where he'd be the clear number 1 guy, AND a QB with a big arm. Where can he currenty get that? Most of the big arms already have favorite targets. I was thinking the Giants could be a good fit if Plax is done there. Oakland isn't actually a bad idea. San Diego would be good too because Rivers is good and TO is light years better than any wideout they have. You know who would be dangerous with TO? Big Ben, but that would never happen. Too bad TO said he'd never play in the AFC though. That's where most of his best fits currently are. If he's determined to stay in the NFC I think his options are very limited.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It actually wouldn't surprise me to see the Pats make a run. Owens, Moss and Welker would be downright scary. And Moss has been on his best behavior there, so they might think they could keep Terrell in check as well. Another team is the Jags. Who knows really, dude has burnt bridge after bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Too bad TO said he'd never play in the AFC though. That's where most of his best fits currently are. If he's determined to stay in the NFC I think his options are very limited.

Yeah like that will stop him if its attractive enough for him he will probably do it regardless of what he said before.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    While I don't hate T.O. he's not coming here and the Colts don't need him. Our needs are as always on defense.

Besides if we wanted an aging wide receiver we would've kept Marvin.
    Owens is currently much better than Marvin. TO is still a top 3 wideout easily.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Why release a top 3 wideout, then?

Cuz it's T.O.

Anywhere but Indy, please.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Certainly better than Marvin, but I don't know about top 3. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson. Fitzgerald and Steve Smith would all like to have a talk with you.

Top 10, certainly. Top 3 is a bit much for me though.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    Certainly better than Marvin, but I don't know about top 3. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson. Fitzgerald and Steve Smith would all like to have a talk with you.

Top 10, certainly. Top 3 is a bit much for me though.

-- Steve --
    I can't say he is better than AJ, Fitz, or CJ but he is at the very least on par with them. This is a year where the Cowboys poorly utilized TO too. He still has a lot left in the tank because he keeps himself in such great shape.

I can't say he is better than AJ, Fitz, or CJ but he is at the very least on par with them. This is a year where the Cowboys poorly utilized TO too. He still has a lot left in the tank because he keeps himself in such great shape.
    If you ask the Cowboys, they say because he refused to talk to Romo, he couldn't get an understanding for some of the decisions he made on the field. TO blatantly refused to talk to him. So, Romo didn't trust that he was going to run the right route, or make the same decisions on the fly as Romo.

I don't know what you mean by poorly utilized, but I remember seeing a stat that his 'thrown to' total was on par with other star quality WR's, he just wasn't catching enough of them. Misscommunication and misunderstandings would go a long way in explaining that.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    If you ask the Cowboys, they say because he refused to talk to Romo, he couldn't get an understanding for some of the decisions he made on the field. TO blatantly refused to talk to him. So, Romo didn't trust that he was going to run the right route, or make the same decisions on the fly as Romo.

I don't know what you mean by poorly utilized, but I remember seeing a stat that his 'thrown to' total was on par with other star quality WR's, he just wasn't catching enough of them. Misscommunication and misunderstandings would go a long way in explaining that.

-- Steve --
    If the quality of his routes were poor, they were not utilizing him correctly. Many Cowboys fans I've talked to said that the main reason TO was so pissed off was because Garrett didn't have him going deep enough. TO probably ran more slants than any WR in the league which is alright for some WRs, but not when you have an athletic freak like TO. Some of his problems definitely did stem from the lack of communication between TO and the rest of his offense (not just Romo, him and Witten had a big falling out) but I stand by what I said in saying that Owens was not correctly used this past year.

Some people are speculating that Owens may sit this year out because nobody wants him a la Barry Bonds, but there is no way some teams will pass up on Owens. He can turn your team from playoff contender into championship contender..or there is a chance he could corrupt your locker room and turn a very talented team into a non playoff contender (Cowboys).
    Last edited by Moses; 03-06-2009 at 09:23 AM.

TO always thinks he's being used incorrectly. Unless he gets every ball, on every down, thrown the exact way he wants to him, he's going to complain.

Maybe he is better suited to go deep everytime, but Garrett is the coach. TO is not. Once TO figures out that the whole team is more important than his ego, he will really be scary. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on the way you look at it, that time is quickly running out.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    You know who would be dangerous with TO? Big Ben, but that would never happen.
    But it wouldn't meet your first criteria. The Steelers have a very clear leadership chain of command - especially on offense with Tomlin, Ben, and Hines Ward. In the very unlikely event this occurs, T.O. must know that he'll be way down in the pecking order. Of course, Tomlin just might be the guy that could get him to buy into that, but I have no interest in seeing that.

There was a great article in the Tribune this week on the fallacy of making a big FA or draft "splash" for a WR. The Steelers lost Nate Washington because they aren't going to pay a third WR the foolish type of money that the Titans game him. $27 million over 6 years for a #3 reciever? Hell, the only reason Washington was a #3 reciever was because Limas Sweed didn't take it away from him as a rookie.

Wade Deep Into the NFL Draft to Catch Best Receivers

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...7367915.column

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to note that the Steelers drafted two of the three WRs to score a game winning TD in the last minute of a Super Bowl - Plexiglass and Santonio. The closest thing the Steelers have ever made to signing a WR that contributes in the last decade is Cedric Wilson, who moved straight down the depth chart after he arrived. Otherwise, they typically draft a guy and if he's worth keeping at the right price (Hines, Santonio) they'll resign him and if he's not worth keeping (Troy Edwards, Plexiglass but that was more for off-field/ oversized ego reasons) they'll let him go. Most importantly, they don't get suckered into bidding wars, and they'll let a Nate Washington or an Antwaan Randel-El get away because they trust their ability to draft recievers that can contribute.

The Steelers are probably sweating over whether WR is already taking too much of the salary cap with Santonio and Hines... no way are they adding another high priced guy. Add Ben's huge contract and the skilled part of the "passing game" is already taking up too much salary cap space vs. O-line, RBs, and defense. They'll likely pick up Washington's replacement in the draft (actually they did that during the last draft), and a cheaper free agent.

Anyway, teams that constantly chase WRs in the FA market or with high draft picks don't seem to find themselves making many deep playoff runs.

Wherever TO goes, expect more of the same drama that accompanies a late season collapse.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

woman without a team

I don't know if this has been mentuoned or not. I was listening to the radio when a commercial with Eddie White ('s radio partner) came on. He started talking about TO and where he would end up. Of course he said he should go to the Colts! If that's not a sign that Eddie needs to be in the home for the criminally insane I don't know what is.

I was watching ESPN either yesterday or the day before, and they had Stephen A Smith on there talking about TO (I realize no one likes the guy). Regardless, he said he had spoken with TO and that he would like to go to a team like Indy that has a legit shot at a SB..and yes, SAS specifically said Indianapolis. Whether or not this was a credible comment can be argued. I just thought I would pass it along.

Never fails, ever coach and every fan base says

"Ron Artest might be different if he played for us"
    and
    "T.O might be different if he played for us"

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    I was watching ESPN either yesterday or the day before, and they had Stephen A Smith on there talking about TO (I realize no one likes the guy). Regardless, he said he had spoken with TO and that he would like to go to a team like Indy that has a legit shot at a SB..and yes, SAS specifically said Indianapolis. Whether or not this was a credible comment can be argued. I just thought I would pass it along.
    That cracks me up... I wonder if Peyton would sign off on this? T.O. physically is exactly what the COlts need in a WR. ITs the whole mental thing that scares the living crap out of me.

If T.O came here I wonder if Peyton would drill him in the head with the ball like he did in the saturday night live skit. With those 2 together it would be a yell fest.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller